• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Will Run on ForzaTech, as Per Job Listing

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Funny how ppl assume an engine for racing will be great for an rpg. Remember how Bioware was forced to work with frostbite? How did that turn out lmfao.
Bioware was forced to work on an unfamiliar engine. Playground Games is using ForzaTech to build an engine for Fable. Things that an RPG game needs and are not present in ForzaTech will be added by Playground Games. People also forget that Asobo used the same in house engine for Plagues Tale and Flight Simulator and Rockstar's engine is based off one that was used in a racing game. Hex Engine used in Killer Instinct was based off engine tech used by Double Helix in their previous games which were definitely not fighting games.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Funny how ppl assume an engine for racing will be great for an rpg. Remember how Bioware was forced to work with frostbite? How did that turn out lmfao.
It's more funny that people assume it won't. Obviously they would not decide to use this engine of it was not going to work for the game. It's not like they are being forced to use it. They clearly are comfortable with it and confident it will work well for this game.

bargeparty

Bioware was forced to work on an unfamiliar engine. Playground Games is using ForzaTech to build an engine for Fable. Things that an RPG game needs and are not present in ForzaTech will be added by Playground Games. People also forget that Asobo used the same in house engine for Plagues Tale and Flight Simulator and Rockstar's engine is based off one that was used in a racing game. Hex Engine used in Killer Instinct was based off engine tech used by Double Helix in their previous games which were definitely not fighting games.

Frostbite wasn't unfamiliar, it was unfit to be used for the type of game Dragon Age is. Rockstar's R.A.G.E was an evolution of the A.G.E and hasn't been used for "racing" in a long time. They repurposed it or evolved it to make their type of games.

Whatever Asobo is doing they probably looked at the portfolio of games they were making and built something to suite various use cases.

Drewpee

Banned
Wasn’t this already confirmed for unreal engine?
Based on Epics partnership with Sony I think it would be very wise of Microsoft to stop using Unreal engine altogether. I know there are games planned for it Hell blade 2 but I dont see how the partnership with Sony doesn't impact Xbox somehow if they stay with Unreal.

dat-ass.jpg
oKpDsmc.jpg

Bernkastel

Frostbite wasn't unfamiliar, it was unfit to be used for the type of game Dragon Age is. Rockstar's R.A.G.E was an evolution of the A.G.E and hasn't been used for "racing" in a long time. They repurposed it or evolved it to make their type of games.

Whatever Asobo is doing they probably looked at the portfolio of games they were making and built something to suite various use cases.
And why would Playground make an engine unfit for a game they are working on? Asobo also used their in house engine in Fuel, and that was way before they had any contracts for Flight Simulator or Plague's Tale. They just repurpose their in house engine tech for everything they working on(like every other studio that has their own in house engine).

Vestal

Gold Member
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Turn 10 the engine guys and Playground the game guys in Forza Horizon?
PG uses their own custom version of the ForzaTech engine. It is pretty evident that they have done wonders with the base engine from Turn10. They will be using this same engine for Fable.

PG has yet to drop the ball with what they have delivered with Horizon games so I am hyped for what they will be able to do here.

Vestal

Gold Member
Yeah I agree but is Forzatech the best fit for an RPG? I mean how much work would it require to adapt the engine so it can render and animate lifelike human/humanoids and other living creatures?
That’s a good question that we will honestly have to wait and see. But they have my axe hehe. I don’t think they would try to leverage it if they hadn’t resolved that type of issue prior to decision to use it.

bargeparty

And why would Playground make an engine unfit for a game they are working on? Asobo also used their in house engine in Fuel, and that was way before they had any contracts for Flight Simulator or Plague's Tale. They just repurpose their in house engine tech for everything they working on(like every other studio that has their own in house engine).

No, Playground and Turn10 made an engine to support Forza since that's the only series they've done for the last 10+ years.

I can't find anything that shows Fuel on the same engine as Plague Tale. Asobo has also made many different games over the years using different engines.

What on earth are you on about?
Based on Epics partnership with Sony I think it would be very wise of Microsoft to stop using Unreal engine altogether. I know there are games planned for it Hell blade 2 but I dont see how the partnership with Sony doesn't impact Xbox somehow if they stay with Unreal.
Same could easily had been said about Microsoft based on Epic MegaGames partnership with Microsoft to create Gears of War. Lets not forget, Epic - a Premier technology studio was essentially a strong first party Partner of Microsoft until 2012.

Heck, Epic essentially lived in house with Microsoft covertly for YEARS to create the Gears of War franchise and I'm sure worked on various engine technologies during that partnership.
ForzaTech could essentially be derived from Unreal Engine and we wouldn't know - specifically as you can buy Unreal Engine and opt to completely own the technology averting the need to disclose
such specifics entirely. Fable Anniversary/Fable the Journey - both Unreal engine.

A number of simulator games - Unreal Engine. The latest Harry Potter Game - Unreal Engine.

Considering you can buy the engine, and are beholden to no one when renaming it/rebuilding it then calling it your own technology - you might be surprised which games are masquerading around
as some unique, cutting edge piece of technology that are actually just relabeled Unreal Engine variants.

I for one, believe Rockstar probably owns a full version of Unreal Engine - whether it uses it or not - as they can afford to just buy the engine and dissect it to learn whatever they can when they can - about
competing technologies. And then because they own the tech (because they bought it) - integrate it into their own engine. This is the type of strategy large corporate entities utilize when money is no issue.

Drewpee

Banned
I for one, believe Rockstar probably owns a full version of Unreal Engine - whether it uses it or not - as they can afford to just buy the engine and dissect it to learn whatever they can when they can - about
competing technologies. And then because they own the tech (because they bought it) - integrate it into their own engine. This is the type of strategy large corporate entities utilize when money is no issue.
That is interesting, I had no idea how licensing works for Unreal Engine.

I dont think Epic will be shady or deliberately try to hurt Xbox in any way, it just feels like getting away from Unreal would be a better way to protect themselves against future issues.

Vestal

Gold Member
What?? Huh? That’s not how any of this works.

I am hoping they can work with ID in the future to build a in house engine to avoid being dependent on the unreal engine. Between them. ID and turn 10 they could turn out a good in house engine imo by the end of the generation.
Such a valuable and incredible acquisition. Amazing to think that MS now owns ID tech's engine. I wonder if they will expand it into other engines.

Drewpee

Banned
What?? Huh? That’s not how any of this works.
Like you honestly know lol you are as clueless as me, the only difference is I don't pretend otherwise.

This site kills me with all of the armchair experts. Almost none of us know shit about the industry outside of what we read or hear on websites that everyone can access.

I dont think Epic will be shady or deliberately try to hurt Xbox in any way, it just feels like getting away from Unreal would be a better way to protect themselves against future issues.
There were numerous articles and reports just years ago of Microsofts direct investment into Epic Shareholdings - so essentially both companies have invested in Epic. Microsoft still holds a license to utilize Unreal Technology for the majority of it's games being made today.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Yeah the engine is icnredible for open world games with tons of features like dynamic tod and weather. Also it runs really good while looking incredible. I mean look at the environments in Forza Horzion 4,
51157984987_b26aaaf3e8_o.png

51157986402_4b4a2ef214_o.png

51157983862_e0215bc258_o.png

51159427244_516a439e7a_o.png

51157983352_d27232e40a_o.png

51158640496_574ca2f8bc_o.png

51158643376_dbaa319b82_o.png

bonus lol
51158881393_429b09d6f4_o.png

Dolomite

??? Lol And HZD was made with a FPS engine. There are no "Racing devs" or "FPS devs" there are talented artist and thier projects

Vestal

Gold Member
Like you honestly know lol you are as clueless as me, the only difference is I don't pretend otherwise.

This site kills me with all of the armchair experts. Almost none of us know shit about the industry outside of what we read or hear on websites that everyone can access.
I really have no idea what you are suggesting Sony's relationship with Epic could do here... Are you suggesting they would block MS from using Unreal?

killatopak

Gold Member
Forza was one of the best looking games last gen and are probably the best looking MS games.

This just means Fable will look amazing.

MonarchJT

Banned
Why? ms studios are the one that use it most and probably the coalition is one of the best devs using UE. It would impact more sony than ms if theirs studio will be forced to use UE instead of their engines used in the last 15 years ..tell me one of sony big studios famous to work on ue....or that are good with that engine. Probably the only one is bend . The shares that sony bought from Epic are so minuscole that i don't think it will change anything

Last edited:

Bergoglio

UE is a licence based engine. It’s the same for everyone.

Bernkastel

No, Playground and Turn10 made an engine to support Forza since that's the only series they've done for the last 10+ years.
And they will use it to make an engine for RPG games, whats the issue? Playground Games already modified ForzaTech before for the open world Horizon series.
I can't find anything that shows Fuel on the same engine as Plague Tale. Asobo has also made many different games over the years using different engines.

At 5:11. They literally call their procedural generation engine "Fuel" internally.

At 4:10
Ofcourse they will iteratively advance the same custom engine they used rather than rebuild a new one from scratch.

Bernkastel

As if his tag was not obvious enough. This guy believes that every engine in the game industry is derived from Unreal Engine and id Tech. If you ask him more he with talk about conspiracy theories involving secret dealings between game publishers and studios without a single proof. Sprouting bullshit like "all the code in Bethesda's engine has been slowly replaced with id Tech" etc.(you can tell a game is based on Creation Engine just by looking at the folder structure, id Tech is a completely different thing).

reksveks

I have no concern about the world and the interactivity but its just going to be character and npcs that might be a small stretch but it will be fine.

EDMIX

I'm not really surprised. That is the tools they are used to. Its correct that MS allow them to work freely as Fable is a big IP for them and if the team really ,really wants to do Fable, I think it makes sense for them to use what they are used to.

I'm not too worried. Shit, I think I'm more ok with PG making that game then what was left of Lionhead lol

Dolomite

...you know that you and I can buy and use unreal right? Epic can't take an engine designed for any platform down to mobile then nerf it for the most capable home console

Top Bottom