• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face masks make people look more attractive, study finds

Do masks make people look more attractive?

• Total voters

Tams

Gold Member
WARNING: No bitching about if you want to wear masks or not.

Masks found to make people more attractive.

I'm surprised that they're surprised that they make people look more attractive. The lower face contributes a lot to beauty, so if you can only see people's eyes that are almost universally attractive of course more people will look attractive.

It's actually got me a few times. Thought I'd seen a beauty and then they lower their mask... Had a few of the opposites too, mind, and my jaw hit the floor (and I might have dribbled a little...)

Who the fuck finds the blue masks attractive though?!

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I mean it makes sense. If you can't really see someone's face then you might not immediately dismiss them. You are more likely to focus on their personalities or their other.....um.....assets. :sneaky:

Jsisto

We’ve all had those moments where someone takes their mask off for the first time and you think “oh….”. I don’t even think it’s necessarily that someone is ugly, just that they might not fit the mental image we’ve had of them and it’s kind of alarming at first. But this study doesn’t surprise me, people will find a fetish in anything.

Fbh

Absolutely.

I interact with a lot of people due to my work and there's been tons of times when I've been sure some girl is cute/hot.

Then she takes her mask of for whatever reason and:
Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Nobody_Important

We’ve all had those moments where someone takes their mask off for the first time and you think “oh….”. I don’t even think it’s necessarily that someone is ugly, just that they might not fit the mental image we’ve had of them and it’s kind of alarming at first. But this study doesn’t surprise me, people will find a fetish in anything.
One of the guys I regularly play with online told me about a similar moment like that. He had noticed a woman he works with had a great ass apparently and asked her out to dinner. Later she took the mask off and realized she was a few years older than what he was thinking. (Like 30 something instead of mid twenties)

Maybe it's for the best. If everyone gets a second look then that's a better chance for everyone to get laid right? 🤔

Jsisto

One of the guys I regularly play with online told me about a similar moment like that. He had noticed a woman he works with had a great ass apparently and asked her out to dinner. Later she took the mask off and realized she was a few years older than what he was thinking. (Like 30 something instead of mid twenties)

Maybe it's for the best. If everyone gets a second look then that's a better chance for everyone to get laid right? 🤔
That’s a really good point. I think one of the main things that masks can hide is someone’s age if they’re within a certain range. If someone generally takes care of themself and/or wears makeup, it can genuinely be hard sometimes to tell if someone is in their 20s even up to like….mid 40s in my experience. Especially at a distance.

ShadowLag

Quite the opposite. It turns your perception of everyone into being soulless drones and saps your human emotions from you. Not being able to see a smile or a general expression hurts human interaction big time.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Quite the opposite. It turns your perception of everyone into being soulless drones and saps your human emotions from you. Not being able to see a smile or a general expression hurts human interaction big time.
Been wearing masks in public for nearly two years now and have not felt this way once lol

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Sure they look better til you get the mask down.

Tits look better in a bra too.

I started taking "a study says" with a massive grain of salt some time in the last few years.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Sure it sucks but you learn to pick up people’s emotions through their eyes pretty easily once you’re forced to. You can definitely tell when people are smiling.

Working in retail, it’s also pretty nice that you can mouth any kind of obscenity you want to someone who wronged you and they’ll never know. Gotta look at the positives.

Last edited:

Jsisto

It’s like the old saying, pants are the face masks of the butt…or something.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Gold Member
If they have really pretty eyes and that’s it, sure I can see that.
Majority though I think just look ridiculous with it rather than without.

G-Bus

Banned
As someone who has never really had a lot of confidence with his appearance, I kind of like the masks.

I also find women to be friendlier. Been hit on more in the last two years than the other 32.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Absolutely.

I interact with a lot of people due to my work and there's been tons of times when I've been sure some girl is cute/hot.

Then she takes her mask of for whatever reason and:
Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

This, so much this. So many girls I thought were cute turned out to be completely the opposite.

And here we have the dumbest thing said on GAF today.

KielCasto

Wearing masks adds extra steps to pick up on cues that would otherwise be evident on the whole face, at least in my experience. I agree with the smiling thing and I don't think it's a ridiculous claim. By being nice and smiling, you can build rapport a lot easier.

Anyway, on topic, the study only had female participants. It would be more interesting if they added men to the mix and see if men are also affected.

GloveSlap

Its definitely true.

I think part of it is like how more clothes can be hotter than less clothes because you use your imagination to fill in the gaps, usually picturing what you want to see.

The other reason is that most people have decent top face. Teeth, nose, jaw line, and chin are the spots where things tend to go wrong.

GeekyDad

And it's probably not so much a matter of a mask making people look more attractive so much as a mask hiding things about people that certain people find unattractive.

ZywyPL

Banned
That's the neat part of this whole pandemic, I can go out and be ugly as usual except no one except me knows it, all what people see is those beautiful, innocent eyes of mine.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
Speaking for myself, this is very true. When I see a lady with a fire body and the face masks only shows the eyes, I'm much more attrackted. Which makes this whole wearing facemasks difficult for me, cause I'm easily attracted to ladies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Speaking for myself, this is very true. When I see a lady with a fire body and the face masks only shows the eyes, I'm much more attrackted. Which makes this whole wearing facemasks difficult for me, cause I'm easily attracted to ladies.
My problem is that for some reason my mind operates like a 4 year old and thinks that when I have mask on no-one can see where I am looking. Couple this with the above and you have a recipe for disaster.

Top Bottom