• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook Gaming's mobile app to shut down on October 28th.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/money/top...e-app-will-shut-down-this-october/ar-AA11iHyI
Back in April 2020, the social media giant Facebook made its move in the gaming industry by launching the Facebook Gaming app. Now, according to a notice sent to users, Facebook has said that the app will no longer be available for download October 28 onwards.Back in April 2020, the social media giant Facebook made its move in the gaming industry by launching the Facebook Gaming app. Now, according to a notice sent to users, Facebook has said that the app will no longer be available for download October 28 onwards.

Also, the Meta-owned company hasn't shared any explanation as to why it is shutting down the mobile app. While Facebook Gaming was introduced in 2018, it took the service two years to develop a mobile app. It did so in hopes to penetrate a market that has been dominated by Twitch and YouTube for years now.

Facebook also added a creator program with some really handy features such s the ability to co-stream. And in 2020, the platform went on to buy Microsoft's game streaming platform - Mixer, which had already recruited popular streamers like Ninja and Shroud.

While the web site will still be live, this imo is clearly a sign that the ground is starting to crack under Facebooks Twitch competitor.

Not long ago there was a report on the most used streaming apps this July which broke down as follows https://thebusinessofesports.com/2022/09/01/what-were-the-most-popular-streaming-platforms-of-july/

• Twitch 1.737 billion hours
  • Facebook Gaming 424 million
  • YouTube Gaming 292 million hours.

Facebook gaming is in decline while YouTube gaming is growing, just a few days ago Ninja made some very impressive gains on YT gaming https://afkgaming.com/esports/news/4452-ninja-almost-doubles-viewership-in-first-youtube-stream

If Facebook wasn't going to eventually wind down the whole service they would have a replacement for the soon to be discontinued mobile app, but there doesn't seem to be one in the works, so I'd say it's only a matter of time until Facebook kills their Twitch competitor and integrates YT gaming or Twitch on Facebook.

Skyfox

xh8Qogx.gif

It will be removed from both the IOS and Android store reportedly, so all the sign points to Facebook dropping the program.

Kuranghi

I would also like to announce the discontinuation of the "Kuranghi Gaming" mobile apps on November 14th.

I know a lot of you guys/guyettes used them and it was a fantastic service as we all know but sometimes things just don't work out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never heard of FB Gaming either. But at 424M hours it cant be that obscure. I guess Zuck doesnt think it's worth continuing even if it's #2 to Twitch. Maybe Zuck is a #1 or nothing kind of CEO.

Never heard of FB Gaming either. But at 424M hours it cant be that obscure. I guess Zuck doesnt think it's worth continuing even if it's #2 to Twitch. Maybe Zuck is a #1 or nothing kind of CEO.

it was declining, I think iirc it was something like a drop from 700+ and YT gaming went from 90+ to it's current one on that link. It had been decling for awhile, and so where the app downloads, which rarely was in the top 20 charts on either mobile os stroe. Given how much money was likely spend on it Zuck probably saw the goose was cooked is pulling the App ahead of time.

Top Bottom