• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook reveals Oculus Quest 2

Resenge

Ars review is not nearly as positive. They are saying the changes, especially the comfort is a step backwards.

I am not sure how the comfort could go backward. The Quest 1 was super uncomfortable. I had to mod it like crazy with the Vive DAS and a counter weight to make it useable.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am not sure how the comfort could go backward. The Quest 1 was super uncomfortable. I had to mod it like crazy with the Vive DAS and a counter weight to make it useable.
Verge said the same that the new strap is less comfortable due to how it tightness. They both suggest the $50 strap. :messenger_grimmacing_

Resenge

Verge said the same that the new strap is less comfortable due to how it tightness. They both suggest the $50 strap. :messenger_grimmacing_
Am not surprised about that crappy strap it comes with default. Glad I sprang for the extra strap after using the shit Quest one I was expecting it to not be good. I guess that's where they cut corners to make it cheaper.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Am not surprised about that crappy strap it comes with default. Glad I sprang for the extra strap after using teh shit Quest 1 one i was expecting it to not be good. I guess thats where they cut corners to make it cheaper.

Sadly I will have to hold off until it gets into more hands or if I can snag one off glamazon for the easy returns. The first quest gave me migraines with its straps so I am not taking a risk on something that will be a bitch to return.

rofif

Banned
so is it lcd or ips?

Is link cable working any different? It has a problem on quest1 with games that are not fullscreen

GHG

Gold Member
the hp reverb g2 is going to be way better than this data stealer

The reverb g2 is double the price where I live.

I was thinking about getting a g2 but for double the money minus the portability... Not so sure anymore. As long as the quest 2 can still hook up to PC's then I'm good.

Romulus

Ars review is not nearly as positive. They are saying the changes, especially the comfort is a step backwards.

It'll be person to person. Other reviews say its clearly more comfortable. I guess its all about the size of your head.

GHG

Gold Member
It'll be person to person. Other reviews say its clearly more comfortable. I guess its all about the size of your head.

It tends to be head shape that determines these things more than anything. I remember when the Samsung odyssey plus launched, mixed reviews everywhere for comfort. The only way to tell was to get one for yourself and try it on.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I mean I get it, this is a cheap device and cost is everything but I just feel like comfort should be first over everything in that case. Clearly they don't agree with me.

Romulus

I mean I get it, this is a cheap device and cost is everything but I just feel like comfort should be first over everything in that case. Clearly they don't agree with me.

I agree. Cheaper with 2x power is pretty damn impressive on its own. And for some, it will be clearly more comfortable, especially with the strap.

rofif

Banned
they won't sell any accessories for old quest? I would like replacement facial interface maybe someday

Shrap

The only thing I like about the whole Facebook account thing is that they plaster it everywhere; almost warning you not to get/use the new quest. I'm glad they aren't trying to hide it but god damn, I can't believe they are sticking to it despite the endless backlash. Those who've been working at Oculus since before the Facebook takeover must be hating it. I wonder if Carmack stepping back had anything to do with this as it doesn't sound like something he'd be happy with.

Resenge

they won't sell any accessories for old quest? I would like replacement facial interface maybe someday
TBH the history of Oculus tells me they will probably discontinue the Quest 1 soon enough. But you could buy a non official one, Try VRcover?

Last edited:

Romulus

How hard is it to make a burner FB account now? I have one I don't use but is it difficult now to make one? Most other accounts are really fast to create. alternate mail, name, password. Done. Maybe FB does something to make this really difficult it seems by the backlash

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
TBH the history of Oculus tells me they will probably discontinue the Quest 1 soon enough. But you could buy a non official one, Try VRcover?
They've already discontinued Quest 1, and according to Norm's Tested review, they are discontinuing the Rift S, as well. They want this to be their all-in-one for PC and stand-alone.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Oculus Link is still a bit of a compromise so it might not be competitive with other current-gen PC VR headsets. There are improvements to Link that have yet to roll out, but I don't expect that to completely change. That said, while it may not be an Index killer, it might be a viable Rift replacement, and at $300 it's hard to argue the value.

Last edited:

Resenge

How hard is it to make a burner FB account now? I have one I don't use but is it difficult now to make one? Most other accounts are really fast to create. alternate mail, name, password. Done. Maybe FB does something to make this really difficult it seems by the backlash
Making a burner account isn't the problem, I wouldn't recomend it though. You should use your real name because Facebook have confirmed if they ban your account you can lose all your game purchases.

Last edited:

McCheese

£299 is insane value, like fucking hell Facebook, you couldn't even manufacturer the last one fast enough to meet demand. For folks on the fence, who haven't tried VR or not owned their own VR headset to really get into what they have to offer. Pre-order one whilst you can.

rofif

Banned
connecting my fb account was nothing. I just clicked connect and nothing changed. Don't see what they could steal from my oculus account that wasnt already on fb account.
Well, Quest 1 will still have some value because OLED but I still feel burned :p
299usd is not 349euro though. I always hated how oculus did that

Last edited:

JimboJones

Yes. Because Sony doesn't dig out your real life photos online without your consent and attach it to your account, so that everyone world wide can know what you look like. Even when you specifically avoided uploading pictures of yourself. Because Facebook somehow locates uploaded photos of other people where you were happened to be in the same shot.

I mentioned this before, but I deactivated my account as soon as it happened, but in reality Facebook is still keeping it running against my consent. That's why they kept asking me to come back to "reactivate". They are somehow making it legal to spy on people and i want no part of it.
So make a throwaway account.

Resenge

So make a throwaway account.
“If you log in using your Facebook account or merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts and violate the Facebook Community Standards, Conduct in VR Policy or other terms and policies on any of our platforms your access to or use of Oculus products may be impacted. If your account is fully disabled as a result of this violation you may also lose access to your [games and content]. We are committed to keeping all of our platforms safer,” a spokesperson said.

While the company says that permanent bans would be reserved for the most egregious violations of the Facebook Community Standards, lesser violations could lead to temporary suspensions which restrict the use of Oculus headsets for up to thirty days.

If they ban your Facebook acount because you use a fake name and can't prove your ID then you run the risk of losing your purchases.

Last edited:

JimboJones

If they ban your Facebook acount because you use a fake name and can't prove your ID then you run the risk of losing your purchases.

You think Facebook is some kind of government agency checking if accounts are fake? I've been using a throwaway account for years, get a grip.

Resenge

You think Facebook is some kind of government agency checking if accounts are fake? I've been using a throwaway account for years, get a grip.
Oh really? Facebook actively bans fake accounts, I have a fake facebook account that has not been banned but I have read many people get their account banned because Facebook was suspicous that it was a fake account, they ask for ID to unlock it and if you don't have that ID, you lost the account

I am not over reacting, It is something fake Facebook account holders should at least look into before they decide to link that account to their Oculus account.

Made a Facebook Account for Oculus and got disabled.

First my name was rejected, and I had to send my ID. After my account got approved I log in for the first time and am instantly greeted with a message informing me my account has been banned. I requested a review and am still waiting a month later to hear back. They give you no direct option to contact support.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Hoping for a more PC centric review when Facebook unlocks the framerate option. 72hz, even when hooked up to a PC isn't an option.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Seems worse than the first according to that ars review.

That Ars reviewer seems to have a chip on his shoulder about the Facebook account requirement. I’ll take my chances. It has the same sensor setup as the first Quest so if it’s worse in sensor accuracy that’s probably a software issue that can be resolved.

Resenge

That Ars reviewer seems to have a chip on his shoulder about the Facebook account requirement. I’ll take my chances. It has the same sensor setup as the first Quest so if it’s worse in sensor accuracy that’s probably a software issue that can be resolved.
I agree. Oculus created magic with the tracking on the original Quest. The tracking was meh at launch but very much improved after a few updates.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Hoping for a more PC centric review when Facebook unlocks the framerate option. 72hz, even when hooked up to a PC isn't an option.

Apparently they said it will be bumped to 90hz but I am too lazy to source this claim. It was on one of the reviews posted in this thread.

pr0cs

Apparently they said it will be bumped to 90hz but I am too lazy to source this claim. It was on one of the reviews posted in this thread.
Yep, but not until next year.
I want to replace my CV1 but wouldn't consider the Quest 2 until they unlock the 90hz option (and we get some reviews if they have improved the image compression/decompression algorithm)

Top Bottom