• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fails of 2022: the Nintendo Switch really showed its age

Xenoblade 2 released when Switch was at like 10M consoles sold in 2017.
Xenoblade 3 released when Switch had sold over 110M consoles sold by 2022.

Your numbers would be good if Xenoblade 3 came out when Switch was at like 17 or 18M...not 110M.

That's terrible when you analyse the increase in hardware possible for that game to be played. I actually had no idea it was that bad.

Yeah, its growth is pretty much flat if you take into account the install base

BossLackey

Gold Member
It seems like even indie developers anymore are having to bend over backwards just to make the game playble on Switch, let alone perform well.

As has been stated, Switch hardware was dated the day it released and woefully underpowered. To be fair, that kept costs down. |

Still, going from PC/PS5/XBSX to Switch is jarring for a lot of reasons. Legit feels twice as old as it is.

daveonezero

Banned
It seems like even indie developers anymore are having to bend over backwards just to make the game playble on Switch, let alone perform well.

As has been stated, Switch hardware was dated the day it released and woefully underpowered. To be fair, that kept costs down. |

Still, going from PC/PS5/XBSX to Switch is jarring for a lot of reasons. Legit feels twice as old as it is.
Examples? Rogue Legacy 2 and Chained Echos looks like comparable ports.

Woopah

Xenoblade 2 released when Switch was at like 10M consoles sold in 2017.
Xenoblade 3 released when Switch had sold over 110M consoles sold by 2022.

Your numbers would be good if Xenoblade 3 came out when Switch was at like 17 or 18M...not 110M.

That's terrible when you analyse the increase in hardware possible for that game to be played. I actually had no idea it was that bad.
Yeah, its growth is pretty much flat if you take into account the install base
Software launches do not scale with hardware like that. Not by a long stretch.

Think of it this way. When Splatoon 3 launched, Switch's install base was more than 13 times higher than when Splatoon 2 launched. Does that mean Splatoon 3's launch quarter sales were going to be 13 times higher than Splatoon 2's? Of course not, not even close.

I don't think anyone believes that Xenoblade 3 had a crazy high launch or super impressive sales or anything. But its up 60% compared to the launch of its predecessor and still has a holiday quarter to come. Its doing good.

Tams

It seems almost every non-nintendo first party game runs like ass on switch these days outside of monoliths. Pokemon, Bayonetta, Alan Wake…then you look at all the delayed game releases this year on switch like Life is Strange, Dying Light, Hogwarts next year, etc.

3rd party devs shouldn’t have to find some magical loopholes to get their games to run on the switch or resort to cloud streaming. Devs are starting to drop ps4 and xbox one just because its a pain in the ass trying to optimize their games for 2013 hardware and the switch is even less capable than the base model versions of those consoles.

Nintendo is absolutely out of their minds if they don’t release new hardware next year
As has already been mentioned, Nintendo consoles have never been centred around third-party games.

It would be nice if there were a more powerful Nintendo console, but they can and do at times survive on their own franchises. The Wii U was a rare failure in that, but it wasn't anywhere near everything they had (great console for what it's worth).

GeekyDad

That one sentence I can believe, as its subjective.

The rest of that statement smells like ass to me. Funny, but still silliness. GTFO 'ere...

LMAO okay, so explain Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII Reunion?

Available for PS5, PS4, PC, and Switch.

The PS5 version runs at 4K/60, the PS4 version at 1080p/30, and the Switch version at 720p/30. The Switch version obviously has reduced assets and lighting quality but it's running the same game as the PS5 with reduced resolution and framerate. It maintains that 30 fps framerate target, you can watch some Youtube videos if you don't believe me.

Square Enix has put just about every Final Fantasy title they have released recently on Switch. FFX/X-2 Remaster, FFXII The Zodiac Age, all on Switch. Judging from Reunion, I'm willing to bet they could find a way to fit FFVII Remake on Switch if they felt like it.

The reality is that developers who know what they are doing are supporting the Switch just fine. The Witcher III, Doom Eternal, and Mortal Kombat 11 are available for Switch. They run pretty decently too.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I promised myself that I wouldnt buy a Switch until BOTW2 was on the shelves.

I almost broke down a couple times but held firm in the end. Now its looking more and more likely that I will be able to get BOTW2 and a Switch 2.

reaping-all-the-benefits.gif

The PS5 version runs at 4K/60, the PS4 version at 1080p/30, and the Switch version at 720p/30. The Switch version obviously has reduced assets and lighting quality but it's running the same game as the PS5 with reduced resolution and framerate. It maintains that 30 fps framerate target, you can watch some Youtube videos if you don't believe me.

Square Enix has put just about every Final Fantasy title they have released recently on Switch. FFX/X-2 Remaster, FFXII The Zodiac Age, all on Switch. Judging from Reunion, I'm willing to bet they could find a way to fit FFVII Remake on Switch if they felt like it.

The reality is that developers who know what they are doing are supporting the Switch just fine. The Witcher III, Doom Eternal, and Mortal Kombat 11 are available for Switch. They run pretty decently too.
Crisis Core is basically a better looking PSP game and yet it's running as you said at 720p / 30 fps...in 2022. How is that good? As you said, the PS4 version, a 2013 console is running it at full HD at least. 2017 Switch in 2022 is running it at 720p.

Also, games like The Witcher III released before the Switch was even out as well. Good for Switch to be able to run open world games from 2015 with lots of visual sacrifices i guess.

And Doom Eternal and Mortal Kombat 11 are games running only at 30fps and hardly too demanding even for PS4...again, a 2013 piece of hardware...why wouldn't they run on a Switch?

Why wouldn't Switch be able to run FFX and FFXII, games released 20 years ago? Like it's some sort of huge accomplishment.

Man the standards are in hell around here.

Gambit2483

Crisis Core is a PSP game. If anything they developed it for Switch and scaled up for PS5.

Switch got all of the PS2 FF games yes, but did it get FF15? FF7R? No, because it's too weak. Switch hardware is like 10 year old tech. Stop trying to confuse it as a weaker PS4....It's not.

I mean, they released a $300 dedicated handheld tablet in 2017 and have been supporting it with great software, wich is most important, its not a Steam Deck.

No other company is going to release dedicated portable games as well crafted and ambitious, the Switch is low power, but the portability,design, price, battery etc are essential to its success, when it came out in 2017 Breath of the Wild was a huge hit(and still is)among gamers

So i kind of agree with these articles, but they aren't telling us anything new, the Switch won't be around forever, the next step is gonna be way more noticeable than Wii U->Switch tech wise, and the same type of articles will start to pop out eventually.
i higly doubt the Switch sucessor is gonna a powerful hardware(Nintendo dont work like that since the Wii era, the Switch sucessor is gonna be another outdated hardware the moment, Nintendo anounce it, here Switch 2 another console with a Game Cube arquiteture or worse, eesh

Deerock71

i higly doubt the Switch sucessor is gonna a powerful hardware(Nintendo dont work like that since the Wii era, the Switch sucessor is gonna be another outdated hardware the moment, Nintendo anounce it, here Switch 2 another console with a Game Cube arquiteture or worse, eesh
I'm of the mind that they stick with the exact same portable screen and use DLSS for 4K tvs.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Thing is if anyone has played xenoblade chronicles 3 would know there is still abit of juice in the switch, new zelda game doesnt look any different graphically then botw BUT nintendo at this moment is giving less and less of a shit about performance as the years go on, botw should never of released on the wii u, every nintendo dynasty warriors game run like absolute shit (age of calamity isnt to bad but both fire emblems are awful) pokemon though i dont think is a good example, im pretty sure early rumours suggested the game went back to basics with being 2d but changed to 3d 12 months before release because there is no way in hell that game is demanding in the hardware department, sword and shiels has way more going on then violet, personally think gamefreak is just not capable of making 3d games and they probably struggle employing anyone who is willing to devote there lives to pokemon

Top Bottom