• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fails of 2022: the Nintendo Switch really showed its age

cireza

Banned
another fucking company launches a handheld that plays the game better then on the actual nintendo switch.
This is actually the best thing that could happen to Nintendo consumers.

When Nintendo will fully understand that if their hardware is garbage, it is going to be emulated year-one, they will take appropriate measures and make more powerful hardware so that it is harder to emulate invest a shit-ton of money to sue the entire population of the world.

Woopah

True, but hardware sales are dropping as core gamers and even many casuals have already bought a system. At some point your trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

New and exciting games drive hardware sales and Switch is at the point where the hardware is simply incapable of pushing out too much more exciting looking and playing software.

Nintendo can't afford to lose out on 3rd party releases because of underpowered hardware, which would cause a drop in hardware sales and momentum.

If there's no new hardware in 2023 Switch will risk going out like Wii; a crazy selling console that (with weak hardware/weak software) eventually went out like a wet fart due to extreme drop in games, momentum and sales
We're a long long way from that scenario. Switch is in its 5th year and software sales are still rising.
Nintendo really doesn't need third party sales, the top 32 selling Switch games are made by Nintendo.

edit: Actually missed MH, so top 20 are Nintendo games, and 1 in the top 32 is non-Nintendo
We can't know that information since it is not public. The list on Wikipedia is far far from complete.

First party games are definitely the main drivers of the Switch, but Nintendo gets a cut of every third party game on their platform. They'll want to keep to keep improving third party support.

Then I will be pleasantly surprised if they release a $300 4TF portable with a good battery. More surprised that nVidia would be playing nice on the pricing front.
I would be surprised too. Given that the OLED is selling for $350. I think the next model is $400 minimum.

Last edited:
Man, I can deal with the underpowered hardware they seem to love, but they've gotta improve the fucking battery life.

Oh and the terrible loading times which have only gotten more intolerable in light of newer storage solutions.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
This is actually the best thing that could happen to Nintendo consumers.

When Nintendo will fully understand that if their hardware is garbage, it is going to be emulated year-one, they will take appropriate measures and make more powerful hardware so that it is harder to emulate invest a shit-ton of money to sue the entire population of the world.
Theyll invest in denuvo for their roms lol

Gambit2483

We're a long long way from that scenario. Switch is in its 5th year and software sales are still rising.
But hardware sales have been steadily decreasing year over year. I'm referring to the drop in hardware sales that happens when you try to stay in the game too long and lose momentum/steam, when your game releases fail to impress or dry up, e.g. like what happened to the Wii.

Switch hardware is really pushing its limits at this point. The software is struggling. Very soon wverything will either be cloud version or old ass meh ports or ugly struggling current gen games. Nintendo does not want that scenario.

Stamps1646

It's 10 year old hardware, it's been showing it's age the day it released.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is still one of the worst performing games I played on the Switch and was my first game in 2017.
I had a smoother experience with the Wii U version.

I would love to see a Switch U/II/Pro/X in 2023. I love my Switch, it's been one of my favorite console's, I just want improved frame rates and visuals.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Your excuse doesn't make sense. Most Switch games run badly, while very few do on PS5/X.

In other words, you're saying it's an entirely Nintendo issue
Do you have data and criteria to back this up? What is "most" and "badly"?

Most console games run poorly when compared to a PC resolution and frame rate.

Do Stardew Valley and Hollow Knight run poorly on the Switch?

Kataploom

Gold Member
nintendo diehards don't care they play in sub HD resolution at terrible framerates. And that is exactly the reason why Nintendo keeps making dated hardware, because they know the fanboys will eat it up as usual.

Just look at the copium in this thread.
Zelda BOTW
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Bayonetta 2
Metroid Dread
Mario Kart 8
Smash
Zelda SSHD
Dark Souls
Mario Party Superstar

Those are the games I have on Switch... I play on TV let's say Xenoblade fall under 30 fps and bellow 720p way too often... that's it. The rest are around or directly 1080p with very stable framerate, some even basically fixed 60fps... If anything, Nintendo players are the most used to having stellar performance on Nintendo games

Do you have data and criteria to back this up? What is "most" and "badly"?

Most console games run poorly when compared to a PC resolution and frame rate.

Do Stardew Valley and Hollow Knight run poorly on the Switch?

I consider full resolution and 30fps to be the minimum. Most big Switch games don't hit that, including Nintendo's games like BOTW, Metroid Dread, 3 Houses, Pokemon, Paper Mario, Links Awakening

Which PC hardware specifically and what's the price point for it?

Why bring up 2 2D indie games that also run fine on hardware much weaker than the Switch? Such as the Vita. It's like saying the PS5 hardware isn't a problem because it can run PS4 ports well

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's time for Switch 2.

Unless Nintendo wants a 2023 filled with Cloud versions and 6/7 gen bottom of the barrel ports then they need to release new hardware. Otherwise sales will begin to fall off a cliff mid year.
Knowing Nintendo they’ll make sure we get 1-2 years of barren, depressing release schedules before launching a new system.

Celine

But hardware sales have been steadily decreasing year over year. I'm referring to the drop in hardware sales that happens when you try to stay in the game too long and lose momentum/steam, when your game releases fail to impress or dry up, e.g. like what happened to the Wii.
Switch's hardware sales decline rate is much better than PS4 in the same timeframe.
If the Switch get a successor after the same time PS4 got one then the next Nintendo console would launch in March 2024.

hAwsq10.jpg

Last edited:

Esca

It showed its age at launch.
I won't even turn mine on anymore sure to how poor of an experience it is. I buy a game and play it on an emulator instead now.
At least their software is good but it is being held back a lot by their hardware.

AndrewRyan

After buying several low performing turkeys in a row you have to spend your time researching every game's performance before buying. It's especially hard on Switch cause their customers are perfectly satisfied with crap cause for many of them it's all they know.

I honestly feel bad for them. Someone should start a hotline for abused Nintendo fans to call in those terrifying moments when their framerate drops to 12 and they feel deep down that something isn't right but just don't know where to turn.

I just bought Breath of the Wild and I'm about a couple hours in and I can say that the Switch has not failed me.

Every game I've gotten so far has been great. My only exception would be Animal Crossing but that's just because it's not my kind of game and not because it's a bad game.

Last edited:
I would say if you're getting a Switch, stick to a lot of exclusives and you won't be disappointed. This is a Japanese role playing gamers dream and part why I like it.

Although many of the games I have are ports and they seem to be working just fine.

Topher

Gold Member
"After five years, it’s time for a more powerful Switch that can erase some of these past and future issues with a faster chipset capable of displaying games in 4K. "

Why would you want a handheld to display games in 4K? And is it realistic to expect a hybrid to output 4K on a TV, not be a stuttering mess and cost under $500? I'm for a refresh of the hardware, but I think all of this has to be in line with what Switch ultimately is: an affordable handheld.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

Hybrid console consuming 15-ish Watts and based on 2015 hardware doesn't match the recent visual standards. Tell me something I don't know.
For what it is, the console was fine on release. It will probably get a successor within the next 2 years, which will also be fine on release; even a bit more than fine, now that we know some of the basic specs.
But it will never be what GAF seems to want, because it will still be a sub 20W hybrid machine sold at 400 bucks (+ or - 50) and because THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS DON'T MAGICALLY BEND TO THE WILL OF NERDS.
The sooner some will accept that, the healthier everyone relationship will be with Nintendo.
Switch 2 at the end of next year, or in 2024. I'm fine with the compromises, because portability is great, and so is seamless transition to a big screen.

Woopah

Switch hardware is really pushing its limits at this point. The software is struggling. Very soon wverything will either be cloud version or old ass meh ports or ugly struggling current gen games. Nintendo does not want that scenario.
I definitely agree that there will be a point where it's too late, but we're not there yet. Its normal for hardware sales to decline in the 2nd half of its life and we're past the point where the Switch can face a Wii-like scenario.

The Switch's sales curve is more like that of the PS4 than the Wii. If Nintendo launch something in 2023 or 2024 they'll be fine ( my personal prediction is that the new model launches alongside Zelda next year).
Knowing Nintendo they’ll make sure we get 1-2 years of barren, depressing release schedules before launching a new system.
Now that they are only focusing on 1 or 2 systems they should be able to avoid that situation
How many people are still on their launch Switch?
Me. I have launch year Switch and base PS4 and I'm going to be happy with them for at least 2 years I reckon. Framerate and resolution are simply not things that impact my enjoyment of games in any meaningful way

FStubbs

The graphics on the Switch are good enough. They were just about good enough back in late Gen 7/early Gen 8 which is where the Switch lands graphically.
I definitely agree that there will be a point where it's too late, but we're not there yet. Its normal for hardware sales to decline in the 2nd half of its life and we're past the point where the Switch can face a Wii-like scenario.

The Switch's sales curve is more like that of the PS4 than the Wii. If Nintendo launch something in 2023 or 2024 they'll be fine ( my personal prediction is that the new model launches alongside Zelda next year).

Now that they are only focusing on 1 or 2 systems they should be able to avoid that situation

Me. I have launch year Switch and base PS4 and I'm going to be happy with them for at least 2 years I reckon. Framerate and resolution are simply not things that impact my enjoyment of games in any meaningful way
The Switch's graphics are good enough. Barely good enough, but good enough. All of these systems the last decade or so have been very capable.

Sure, the PS5 might be 500 times as powerful as the Switch, but the games haven't really evolved to be 500 times better or do anything radically different.

Jubenhimer

I mean they're not entirely wrong. The Switch is pushing seven years old at this point, and it's getting a bit long in the tooth. So developers, first and third party naturally want a more powerful system. Then again, Nintendo isn't just going to rush out a new generation when the Switch is still selling this well. I think Mid-2024 is when we'll see Switch 2 at this point, considering Nintendo's still got plenty of big games coming out next year like Fire Emblem, Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid Prime 4, etc.

Thaedolus

I am. I never use it in portable mode anymore so the joycons don’t drift and it chugs along just fine.

I gotta admit, Steam Deck has really made me kinda forget about it, though. Friend’s kid challenged me to Mario Kart last night so I did actually turn it on to show him what’s up.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I have one but homebrewed the shit out of it and still dont use it lmao.

The wife has an OLED and uses it all the time though, currently going through the new mario rabbids and enjoying herself.

Last edited:

kubricks

At times It can't even run its exclusive games on a stable 30fps. Fucking upgrade the hardware you dumbass.

lestar

I tired of waiting Nintendo for a Switch Pro/2, now I embraced emulation and I made my own Switch 2 using remote play on my phone

Brigandier

The switch should have had a docking system that had extra hardware inside it to boost performance, Sold as a separate.

That is possible right?, Strange they never invested in this as switch on the big screen makes my eyes bleed.

belmarduk

Its fine for now, system is selling pretty well still but I think all that will change if there are no discernible graphics or performance improvements in Tears of the Kingdom from a game that came out six years ago.

Tams

Gold Member
But that could be applied to any platform, even the first Spectrum 48k. What you are saying is obvious, but the article is saying that some people, me included, want better graphics than the maximum that the actual Switch can output with its specs
And you'd be a fucking tool to try and port, say, COD to it.

Didn't change that it still works as a console.

Tams

Gold Member
The switch should have had a docking system that had extra hardware inside it to boost performance, Sold as a separate.

That is possible right?, Strange they never invested in this as switch on the big screen makes my eyes bleed.

Only really recently, at least without wasting a load (more than 50%) of the external hardware's potential. And yes, even that was with Thunderbolt 3.

Only USB 4 and whatever they are calling Thunderbolt finally have enough bandwidth, and that was only specified this year.

Brigandier

Only really recently, at least without wasting a load (more than 50%) of the external hardware's potential. And yes, even that was with Thunderbolt 3.

Only USB 4 and whatever they are calling Thunderbolt finally have enough bandwidth, and that was only specified this year.

Thanks for explaining.

Maybe Switch 2 in 2024 with an optional 4k capable dock!!!

I know I'm thinking with my heart not my brain 😂

Tams

Gold Member
Thanks for explaining.

Maybe Switch 2 in 2024 with an optional 4k capable dock!!!

I know I'm thinking with my heart not my brain 😂
That's what I want, but it ain't going to happen.

A tech standard that has only just started shipping (in expensive devices) on a Nintendo console?! Not a chance!

Last edited:
Seems like the people who care about framerate and performance are starting to show in sales as all their more ‘hardcore’ games haven’t seen the same explosive sales as their more casual fair and evergreens. Games like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario Party etc. continue to sell like crazy while stufff like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Dread, while performing better haven’t been much better than the games before.

The demo those big action oriented games are marketed to aren’t showing up for them because the hardware sucks. Games that people like to play on their TV’s.

All the more ‘mature’ games aimed at ‘core’ gamers are pretty much destined to sell 1-2.5 million copies, while ‘Luigi’s Left Shoe’ will do like 8 million. If Nintendo wants to expand their own market they need to update their hardware to accommodate 3rd party developers.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Seems like the people who care about framerate and performance are starting to show in sales as all their more ‘hardcore’ games haven’t seen the same explosive sales as their more casual fair and evergreens. Games like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario Party etc. continue to sell like crazy while stufff like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Dread, while performing better haven’t been much better than the games before.

The demo those big action oriented games are marketed to aren’t showing up for them because the hardware sucks. Games that people like to play on their TV’s.

All the more ‘mature’ games aimed at ‘core’ gamers are pretty much destined to sell 1-2.5 million copies, while ‘Luigi’s Left Shoe’ will do like 8 million. If Nintendo wants to expand their own market they need to update their hardware to accommodate 3rd party developers.

Just imagine Xenoblade on a nice piece of kit!!!!

You're right though more powerful hardware from Nintendo would help the sales dramatically of games like Xeno and Bayonetta and multiplatform games would actually be a thing.

supernova8

Banned
Man, I can deal with the underpowered hardware they seem to love, but they've gotta improve the fucking battery life.

Oh and the terrible loading times which have only gotten more intolerable in light of newer storage solutions.

I'd be happy to have BOTW level visuals (not even an upgrade) but running at 720p 60fps. Anything beyond that would be welcome but I just want them to do 720p60 at a bare minimum for all games. No more 30fps bollocks (or worse, yeah Pokemon SV).

I'm only willing to let 30fps slide on the full power next-gen consoles where we (hopefully) will see games push the visual envelope. Nintendo with its potato-powered bollocks, however, doesn't get the same pass from me.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Gotta love how naive people are.

Nintendo could make a 8k/120fps version of something like Bayonetta or Metroid and release it on all consoles plus PC, and it still wouldn't sell more than a couple of million because these are niche games with very limited audience. Performance has very little, if anything, to do with their sales.

People who aren't buying it now because lolnintendoswitchwhatever would just find a new excuse why they aren't buying it while playing some casual fare.

gothmog

Gold Member
If my kids are any indication the Switch is doing just fine. The only thing they even remotely complain about is Fortnite on the Switch because they get better experiences on the PS5 and PC. They will be getting more Switch games than anything else this Christmas.

This is one of those what fanboys want and what the market wants are two completely separate things. I imagine the earliest we hear about a new Switch is Fall 2023.

Last edited:

Nintendo could make a 8k/120fps version of something like Bayonetta or Metroid and release it on all consoles plus PC, and it still wouldn't sell more than a couple of million because these are niche games with very limited audience. Performance has very little, if anything, to do with their sales.

People who aren't buying it now because lolnintendoswitchwhatever would just find a new excuse why they aren't buying it while playing some casual fare.

As someone that owns over 30 games on their switch and is 100% not buying anymore, im happy to say this doesn’t apply to me. I would gladly buy more nintendo games if i didn’t have to suffer through bad performance and shitty resolutions that were common on ps3

I was all in on monster hunter stories 2 until i played the demo. None of the 3rd party games look good enough to run that poorly on switch, even metroid with its long ass loading screens.

Those games would be 4k/120fps on current gen consoles

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Still on my launch system.

Library keeps getting bigger and is currently one of the most diverse and rich I've ever seen. I have more games to choose from than I could ever possibly play and more great games on the horizon that I am looking forward to playing.

Hardware is going fine and I still get to enjoy playing games without having to spend hundreds on a new bit of kit.

I can see why it's still selling strong. It still offers a great gaming experience while the whole cutting edge hardware and 4k 60-120 fps faff remains the domain of the console war obsessed forum dwellers and niche "enthusiasts" whose perspective sits far removed from the main market. People just want a gaming system that is affordable and accessible and has a good library of games.

Tams

Gold Member

*they'd only get it if were on sale at a third of the RRP too.

I get that people like taking advantage of deals, but considering how much work and investment goes into many games, many of them aren't supporting the pastime. If everyone did that, so many games studios would go under.

Top Bottom