• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fails of 2022: the Nintendo Switch really showed its age

Woopah

Seems like the people who care about framerate and performance are starting to show in sales as all their more ‘hardcore’ games haven’t seen the same explosive sales as their more casual fair and evergreens. Games like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario Party etc. continue to sell like crazy while stufff like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Dread, while performing better haven’t been much better than the games before.

The demo those big action oriented games are marketed to aren’t showing up for them because the hardware sucks. Games that people like to play on their TV’s.

All the more ‘mature’ games aimed at ‘core’ gamers are pretty much destined to sell 1-2.5 million copies, while ‘Luigi’s Left Shoe’ will do like 8 million. If Nintendo wants to expand their own market they need to update their hardware to accommodate 3rd party developers.
I don't think it has anything t do with power to see games with mass appeal selling more than those that don't. We don't have sales for Bayonetta 3 yet, but Xenoblade, Metroid and Fire Emblem are all growing franchises and are among the top selling IPs in their respective genres. More power could help a bit but I think the impact is rather minor.

angelgs90

Friendly reminder that this game runs at 900p and rock solid 60fps.

smo_06.jpg

TheContact

Nintendo likes to squeeze as much as they can out of the same hardware and always emphasized gameplay over graphics but they’re starting to fall behind because even the less graphic intensive games suffer in gameplay due to the scope of games nowadays

Ozriel

M$FT
Grainy, stuttery graphics. :pie_eyeroll: I've no doubt these would be the same people that drooled over the swimming textures of the PS1.

Well, back in the day, the PS1 was considered state of the art and I lovedthe visuals. It perfectly conveyed everything it needed to convey. Nobody back then was wailing about ‘swimming textures’.

Then I will be pleasantly surprised if they release a $300 4TF portable with a good battery. More surprised that nVidia would be playing nice on the pricing front.

The success of the Switch form factor means NVIDiA is looking at another potentially 100m + hit with Switch 2. Plenty of room for Nintendo to drive a successful bargain.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised…and I think there’s a good chance we get something with very decent specs.

Nintendo should know they need some decent specs to guarantee next gen ports.

More power would be nice but I don't play my switch for graphics. 60 fps on everything is good enough for me.

But if they came out with a new switch it will be years before it will be worth buying just like always because of lack of games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nah.

Also, yeah a magical mobile friendly chip for 4k gaming lol, guess it's plausible if they want it to cost $2000 like some iPad Pro given even Steam deck and similar handhelds are nowhere close to that.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't disagree with anything in that article. I've had a lot of fun with my Switch, but I don't really want to use it anymore (in fact I don't even have it - my nephew borrowed it and hasn't given it back, which I'm absolutely fine with). It's just painfully outdated at this point.

My concern is what I'm gonna do if they don't release a Switch Pro/2 along with BOTW2. I need to play that game, but I want to do it on a fresh piece of hardware.

Mephisto40

The flexibility of the Switch is a major selling point, that's why the don't just make a stationary console.
I understand that, but from all of the people I know who own a switch, from what they've told me they barely even use the thing in portable mode

Woopah

I understand that, but from all of the people I know who own a switch, from what they've told me they barely even use the thing in portable mode
The latest stats we got from Nintendo showed that around 18% of Switch owners play games primarily in TV mode. 30% played primarily in handheld and 52% played both.

Even for the people you know who only play docked, they still bought the Switch. So the question, how many people are there who haven't bought a Switch yet, but would buy a console only model? Nintendo probably doesn't think this number is that high.

Petopia

Banned
Meanwhile the other consoles have things like Cyberpunk which can't run on anything at release.

This is an individual issue and a developer issue. It isn't a problem with Nintendo as a whole.

Platinum isn't Nintendo. Neither is Gamefreak.
Look at the damage control.

If games run like shit on the Switch it's not the Switch's fault. The specs haven't changed in years, so the platform is a known quantity. If new Switch games don't run well it's because the devs fucked up.
The devs probably just did what they were contracted to do and that level is set by the customers who buy it then seemingly anyway. If it would be a problem for the average Switch customer it would manifest in sales.

H4ze

I am still on my launch model too, but I am not buying Nintendo first party games. I usually just use it to play older ports or games where graphics don't matter. For example Severence / Blade of darkness and Civ 6 at the moment.

Won't lie, there was a time when I did not touch it in 1 1/2 years because my hacked Vita usually provides more fun, to me at least.

It's about time for a new Switch version.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Imagine chiding devs for ‘fucking up’ for the crime of trying to make ambitious games on the dated hardware.
Well... that's dumb to begin with, but I won't blame devs, I'll blame publishers, devs just take their money and do what they can... Many devs just take the money and do a shit port or game technically, like GameFreak or those guys that made first Ark port

leo-j

It is the best selling console since the ps2 and is on the way to outsell the ps4 this holiday season, and selling near ps5 numbers right now, guess the general public doesn’t care.

If games run like shit on the Switch it's not the Switch's fault. The specs haven't changed in years, so the platform is a known quantity. If new Switch games don't run well it's because the devs fucked up.
BOTW ran like shit on switch...the hardwares been old since release. Anything that had a moderate about of scale runs terribly on it, mix that with a bad developer thats how you get pokemon S & S.

Lupin25

God, that’s so lame

Agreed. I have one, but my girlfriend also does and she’s obsessed. She couldn’t give two f**** about graphics lol.

Sucks for us, but casual gamers just don’t care. Before the Switch she would’ve never thought of buying a video game/console.

This is what Nintendo’s aiming for trying to appeal to a wider audience. Cute, fun, creative, family-friendly, non-nightmare inducing stuff. 👍

SeraphJan

As long as their exclusives sells, they don't care

For me personally my Switch and my Steam Deck compliment each other, for Triple A game I play on Deck, for low budget indie game I play on Switch (because OLED looks better)

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah, an old game. New ones don't run like that.
Metroid Dread is 2020 and It is 900p at 60fps almost fixed... Kirby ATFL is from this year and is 1080p @30fps basically fixed... Xenoblade 3 is 1080p and looks better and runs better than Xenoblade 2 (which is first year).

I'm not following it, it's like people complaining that a game designed for more powerful consoles have to have compromises on the less powerful console, if games are properly designed for the console they'll look and run good, Pokemon doesn't even count since they're shit on any platform, give them PS5 devkits and they'll look barely better and will run like shit or will have shitton of technical debt anyway, they're helpless.

Switch goes in line with specs if you ask me, some Nintendo games with performance issues are the exception for Nintendo themselves.

Edit: Lmao some username "60fps" is being mentioned if I put the @ before

Last edited:

McRazzle

The latest stats we got from Nintendo showed that around 18% of Switch owners play games primarily in TV mode. 30% played primarily in handheld and 52% played both.

Even for the people you know who only play docked, they still bought the Switch. So the question, how many people are there who haven't bought a Switch yet, but would buy a console only model? Nintendo probably doesn't think this number is that high.

demographics-2022.jpg

Looking at Nintendo's demographics from it's last earnings, I don't see how they could not believe they need a home console.

GeekyDad

demographics-2022.jpg

Looking at Nintendo's demographics from it's last earnings, I don't see how they could not believe they need a home console.
You truly think Nintendo's internal research is that simplified? This is a fucking company that partnered with the CIA to make ass-fuck-tons of cash coming out of their hoohaws with Pokemon Go. I'm guessing they're delving a wii bit deeper into researching who and whom isn't buying their products, and how they use them. They probably even have a number for how many owners use it to masturbate using the corner edges of the system.

AngelMuffin

I mean, they released a $300 dedicated handheld tablet in 2017 and have been supporting it with great software, wich is most important, its not a Steam Deck.

No other company is going to release dedicated portable games as well crafted and ambitious, the Switch is low power, but the portability,design, price, battery etc are essential to its success, when it came out in 2017 Breath of the Wild was a huge hit(and still is)among gamers

So i kind of agree with these articles, but they aren't telling us anything new, the Switch won't be around forever, the next step is gonna be way more noticeable than Wii U->Switch tech wise, and the same type of articles will start to pop out eventually.
It’s a dedicated home console for me since I only use it in handheld mode about 10% of the time. The last dedicated handheld made by Nintendo was the 2DS/3DS.

Rykan

Imagine chiding devs for ‘fucking up’ for the crime of trying to make ambitious games on the dated hardware.
Then don't make ambitious games on that hardware. You know what the hardware is capable of. There's at least 2 other systems you can release games on if your game is more ambitious than what the system is capable of.

We can excuse scaled back ambition. Not scaled back performance.

demographics-2022.jpg

Just an FYI: I'm aware that this is coming from Nintendo themselves, but the information is probably not accurate and the method to gather that information was not done well. If there is a large peak in a certain group, that means that something went wrong with the polling. There's no reason why there's twice as many 21 year olds playing Switch as 20 or 22 year olds. That was most likely the default age that could be selected and people picked that one to hurry through.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Eh, the system could be better but there is no point in Nintendo releasing a successor until they can really make a performance impact. No doubt COVID also bumped their plans back too... but I bet we see a Switch 2 in 2023.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

It’s a dedicated home console for me since I only use it in handheld mode about 10% of the time. The last dedicated handheld made by Nintendo was the 2DS/3DS.
People will use it whatever way they want but you know what i mean,its a glorified tablet with TV outpout it still needs all the design limitations to work as a $300 handheld. its not just a home console

Last edited:

Romulus

I look at it like the gameboy. Specs sucked, but it continued on for a long while. Nintendo doesn't care if their hardware is terrible.

daveonezero

Banned
More power would be nice but I don't play my switch for graphics. 60 fps on everything is good enough for me.

But if they came out with a new switch it will be years before it will be worth buying just like always because of lack of games.
If it isn't backwards compatible I'm switching to a Zen3 portable.

Am i supposed to be impressed by this? looks like a Gamecube game to me
That just probes your memory is bad

Do you think Halo 1 looked like Infinity too cause It was running on a MS product?

Look at the damage control.
There is no damage. I t only peoples damaged expectations and unrealistic views of how reality should be.

I don't play Pokemon. I have never played Pokemon. I don't give a shit how it runs.

I will play Bayo 3 after the other 2 games.

Last edited:
The Verge is shit.

I use my Switch for Nintendo games, I don't give a shit if Call of Duty or FIFA isn't on my Switch.

I don't play Pokemon games so Game Freak's ineptitude has no effect on me or my opinion of my Switch.

I like my Switch and I don't see any reason why it needs to be replaced when it's still selling as well as it is.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
The Verge is shit.

I use my Switch for Nintendo games, I don't give a shit if Call of Duty or FIFA isn't on my Switch.

I don't play Pokemon games so Game Freak's ineptitude has no effect on me or my opinion of my Switch.

I like my Switch and I don't see any reason why it needs to be replaced when it's still selling as well as it is.
Exactly. There are a lot of games that fit the switch wel.

It’s sad that the exceptions are the ones that bring it down.

It is a bonus you can even buy games like the Witcher or Doom on the Switch.

Gambit2483

I look at it like the gameboy. Specs sucked, but it continued on for a long while. Nintendo doesn't care if their hardware is terrible.
They care if their release schedule dries up due to 3rd parties losing interest in trying to work with severely outdated hardware which causes their hardware sales to dwindle, causing Switch momentum and mindshare to fall off a cliff.

They would care about that.

daveonezero

Banned
They care if their release schedule dries up due to 3rd parties losing interest in trying to work with severely outdated hardware which causes their hardware sales to dwindle, causing Switch momentum and mindshare to fall off a cliff.

They would care about that.
The industry isn’t as narrow as you’re making it out to be.

Some of the biggest moray profitable games are available on wide ranges of hardware and aren’t demanding.

Deerock71

4K is stupidity for a new switch. Keep it 720p, but oled. For the dock, use DLSS to upscale the 720p image to 4k and be done with it.
That's the way to go to keep the battery life optimal and 4K tvs in range. Absolutely nothing needs to be changed about the handheld side of the equation in regards to the Switch OLED (unless somehow they could squeeze out an extra couple hours of battery life.

Look. I want a Switch Pro or a Switch 2 at this point as much as the next person. But with the current Switch selling 150,000+ units per week in Japan alone, I don't see that coming any time soon, or within the next 2-3 years. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Killer8

The Nintendo excuse is so fucking weak and over used, every god damn generation we have to say "it's good for a Nintendo game"... fucking Nintendo.

Bayonetta 3 looks like pure shit in many scenes. Pokemon Violet barely runs.

There's an issue with the developers, but there's also an issue with Nintendo, we expect something semi-on par with at least PS4 gen and the old Switch can't even do that, it's closer to a PS3 in most cases, unless the developers REALLY REALLY try, which they can't these days because of the fucking schedules they're on. There's no wiggle room with a Switch, if you fuck up optimization the game goes straight to hell.

The Pokemon issue is absolutely an issue with the developer and not the hardware. This is a team of incompetents who still don't know what anti-aliasing is. We have Breath of the Wild running on the same hardware which looks like a borderline generational leap in comparison. We even had open world miracles on last gen like GTAV which blow it out the water. There's no shortage of budget either as Pokemon is one of the top grossing franchises in the world.

Top Bottom