• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters
It's not even native 4k it scales dynamically, and 60fps mode has considerable cutbacks, resolution being hit the hardest.

3RKcbkX.gif

TrebleShot

It's not even native 4k it scales dynamically, and 60fps mode has considerable cutbacks, resolution being hit the hardest.
Yes but it gives the illusion of it being constant 4k native and the upscaling is world class.
I do notice the res drop in Perf RT mode though but the biggest difference is scene density and lighting.

However even if the Fidelity mode isn't native the image quality and actual sharpness are incredible.
Don't let actual specs deter from overall presentation.

Bramble

Lol the cap in this thread is surreal. The Order? Flight Simulator? I mean have you even played Rift Apart on an OLED or at least a good HDR set? The IQ, scene density, RT implementation, Pixar level animation work etc. all running at 60 fps makes this the best looking game period. I mean look at the FS ground textures and the whole game falls apart.

RaySoft

Nice looking game but whatever. I'm not here for that 😂

Anyone with a PS5 digital edition able to comment on the console?
What is operating sound like? Fan noise?
Does it ramp up the fans during intense games?
Or is it quiet running PS4 games at higher resolutions?

So many questions cause I want to put down my deposit on one for the August shipment.

Oh and Ratchet looks nice but please answer my questions those who can 😂

Sorry OP I don't want to hijack the whole thread, just maybe a small part of it 😂
I have the disc version and feel blessed with absolute ZERO noise. No fan noise, no coil whine. (I've never had any issues with sleep mode either and I have a day1 console)
I play all my games digitally but wanted the disc ver. for UltraBL movies.
No matter how much is going on in any scene, the PS5 is silent. (including Ratchet & Clank) I guess this is how all the consoles should be like, but reading about other peoples experiences imply otherwise. Even my PSX back in the day was louder since you had the disc noise when loading.

Last edited:

saintjules

While you can tell it still very much plays like a video game rather than something with 'real life', photorealistic graphics, it's definitely there as probably the best graphically this generation (so far).

I'm excited to see what this generation has in store for us. Forbidden West looks like the next game to truly showcase the PS5 hardware. And this is all year 1 stuff.

GymWolf

Gold Member
For me it is still tlou2 and rdr2 for open world, mostly because i love realistic graphic far more than pixar style.

But yeah it is the best pixar looking game ever, but it is not like constantly playing a pixar movie except some rare occasions, that's a bit of an exageration, for every screen when it look cg, i can post a screen when it looks gamey as fuck, we are just not on the level where everything on screen is super duper detailed with zero flaws or dull textures.

The sea in one of the last levels looks like shit compared to sea of thieves water tech for example.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I have taken an obscene amount of screen shots, many to show tracing.

Haven't played it myself yet but even from 1080p youtube clips, I can tell its one of the best, most clean looking games ever made. Only games coming close are forza horizon 5 and horizon forbidden west.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The far-away natural environments (especially the mountains) have nice photogramattery, but it also has a lot of low-quality assets and textures in other areas.

The game looks very, very good (I'm not knocking it down), but R&C: Rift Apart, on the other hand, has just super high-quality assets through and through. Everything is super detailed, which gives it a definite edge.

Here are some screenshots from Forza for reference. Look at the muddled wall textures, low-poly assets (buildings, chairs), low-poly crowd, low-quality tesselation, etc. Again, to clarify, Forza looks very pretty (better than most games out there), but it has cut corners in multiple areas. That's not the case with R&C.
You can find low detailed textures and rocks with not top tier rendering in ratchet too, we can play this game with every title in existence, we are still far from 8k textures everywhere on screen.

RaySoft

The far-away natural environments (especially the mountains) have nice photogramattery, but it also has a lot of low-quality assets and textures in other areas.

The game looks very, very good (I'm not knocking it down), but R&C: Rift Apart, on the other hand, has just super high-quality assets through and through. Everything is super detailed, which gives it a definite edge.

Here are some screenshots from Forza for reference. Look at the muddled wall textures, low-poly assets (buildings, chairs), low-poly crowd, low-quality tesselation, etc. Again, to clarify, Forza looks very pretty (better than most games out there), but it has cut corners in multiple areas. That's not the case with R&C.
I would even go further and say that all it brings over it's predecessors are higher resolution. I have problems with understanding the high praise some give this game graphically.

Last edited:

Elog

It does look good but metro exodus with the full ray tracing engine beats it.
I'm not sure how you can say that. Worse texture quality, less geometrical detail, fewer moving objects, worse physics, animations that are really in the bottom half league and poor faces/ facial animations. I would even claim worse RT implementation.

There are many games such as Metro Exodus where you can push pixels on a PC rig with the right hardware but where the actual graphics are rather so-so. Do not get me wrong - Metro Exodus looks good - but all these PC games where we throw silicon at a fundamentally so-so product and claim that the graphics look stunning really itches me the wrong way (and I have a fantastic PC rig as well).

JeloSWE

For me it is still tlou2 and rdr2 for open world, mostly because i love realistic graphic far more than pixar style.

But yeah it is the best pixar looking game ever, but it is not like constantly playing a pixar movie except some rare occasions, that's a bit of an exageration, for every screen when it look cg, i can post a screen when it looks gamey as fuck, we are just not on the level where everything on screen is super duper detailed with zero flaws or dull textures.

The sea in one of the last levels looks like shit compared to sea of thieves water tech for example.
Yes, I spent som time just analyzing the graphics up close, changing light direction etc in photo mode. The overall presentation a lot of the time stunning but there are many many many shortcomings to a real CGI movie if you know what to look for.
  • Shadows doesn't get blurrier as they get farther away, they are just uniformly blurry, so no contact hardening.
  • Reflections, are amazing for the PS5 HW but they are noisy in motion and there are no reflections in reflections or when seen through transparent surfaces.
  • Geometric detail, while very high for a game still doesn't compare to movies but UE5 Nanite tech will bridge the gape considerably when games start using it.
  • Draw distance and assets density is pretty high in many scenes but it's possible to see pop in of eg grass and lower LODs, still the amount of character on screen at times were more than impressive.
  • Fur, looks great for a game but is using shell textures on most body parts interspersed with spline rendering, only tail and eye brows use a lot of splines.
  • Detailed shadows, zooming in and looking at smaller structures, they don't cast shadows at all, Lumen and Nanite however does a pretty good job with this and a movie will do this flawlessly.
  • Materials showing strong refraction are not that common place even in real life except bottles, dirking an eye glasses, it's also one of the most expensive things to calculate, it has nothing to do with this game it's just some thing real time rarely if ever attempts with any physical plausibility.
  • Dynamic Global Illumination, is far far from what a modern Pixar movie looks like. Again Lumen, RT and the likes and will bridge this gap considerably in this generation I hope.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes, I spent som time just analyzing the graphics up close, changing light direction etc in photo mode. The overall presentation a lot of the time stunning but there are many many many shortcomings to a real CGI movie if you know what to look for.
  • Shadows doesn't get blurrier as they get farther away, they are just uniformly blurry, so no contact hardening.
  • Reflections, are amazing for the PS5 HW but they are noisy in motion and there are no reflections in reflections or when seen through transparent surfaces.
  • Geometric detail, while very high for a game still doesn't compare to movies but UE5 Nanite tech will bridge the gape considerably when games start using it.
  • Draw distance and assets density is pretty high in many scenes but it's possible to see pop in of eg grass and lower LODs, still the amount of character on screen at times were more than impressive.
  • Fur, looks great for a game but is using shell textures on most body parts interspersed with spline rendering, only tail and eye brows use a lot of splines.
  • Detailed shadows, zooming in and looking at smaller structures, they don't cast shadows at all, Lumen and Nanite however does a pretty good job with this and a movie will do this flawlessly.
  • Materials showing strong refraction are not that common place even in real life except bottles, dirking an eye glasses, it's also one of the most expensive things to calculate, it has nothing to do with this game it's just some thing real time rarely if ever attempts with any physical plausibility.
  • Dynamic Global Illumination, is far far from what a modern Pixar movie looks like. Again Lumen, RT and the likes and will bridge this gap considerably in this generation I hope.
I Don't know all the technical terms like you, but i played games formore than 30 years and i'm a bit more cynical than your run of the mill fanboy so my eyes notice every flaws on screen and we are still far from perfection in every angle of the screen.

Still, when it looks good, it looks at least top 3 in gaming history, top1 in some particular aspects.

Last edited:
To me it's definitely is. To the point where any other game looked worse. 1440p@60fps with ray-tracing, no loading time, no pop-in, perfect animation and post-processing effects. I literally cannot believe that its working that good.

rolandss

I’m tempted based on how good it is said to look alone but I usually don’t go for cartoony/kid games. Tempted to give it a shot.

jaysius

Banned
Nice looking game but whatever. I'm not here for that 😂

Anyone with a PS5 digital edition able to comment on the console?
What is operating sound like? Fan noise?
Does it ramp up the fans during intense games?
Or is it quiet running PS4 games at higher resolutions?

So many questions cause I want to put down my deposit on one for the August shipment.

Oh and Ratchet looks nice but please answer my questions those who can 😂

Sorry OP I don't want to hijack the whole thread, just maybe a small part of it 😂
My friend bought a PS5, I have a Series X, when you get close enough to either you can hear a low quiet rumble of a fan, but it's more pronounced on the PS5. Don't forget what Sony said though, they're allowing developers to manipulate the fan curve(responsiveness) in upcoming Bios updates, so this might change the sound of the fan in certain games in the near future.

If you buy one don't smother it in an entertainment center we see enough posts on here about artifacting and then you see the picture of where it is and it's a closed off box. People don't understand that if you stick it in something with even a close front, the ambient air that it gives off from it's side(while laying down) will become the AMBIENT AIR and that will get SUCKED INTO the front of the machine, it needs an OPEN AREA, people are ignorant to this, but they'll cry on here in a few months of heavy play when the machine starts showing artifacts or "mysteriously" shutting off. Follow Sony's guidelines, DO NOT PLACE IT IN AN ENCLOSED AREA, it's expensive, keep it alive, keep 1 inch distance ALL around, that means the FRONT too.

It's a PS5 it doesn't like S&M smothering.

Last edited:
It has the great art style that's for sure.

But the most realistic ones are the incoming Forza and Flight Simulator. In Flight Simulator sometimes I could not believe during the flight that it was in-game until (of course) it started to land.

Yes is the best looking thing ever made, even more beautiful than true meaning of existence, even more beautiful than god. Thank you god for playstation, the best thing after boobs. I jerk off to it, hourly.
Lmao

For PS fans, its best thing since slice of bread but to neutral and sensible gamer, Ratchet is one of the best looking games but NOT the Best graphics out there. Especially when you have Flight simulator and Horizon 5 already in mixed and soon more games will overtake it. Technology gets better as time goes by.

Last edited:
They scream Flight Sim, but actually they only will try that "game" for 2 weeks and nobody will care about it anymore on consoles.

Flight Sim is a hardcore niche PC sim and i wouldn't even call it a game.

Well, your wrong...
You are right. I enjoy playing Ratchet than flight sim. I choose Ratchet every time. But we talking about graphics technology here. Flight sim is doing that not many studios can achieve. Its technical achievement nothing more.

The art style just really puts me off the game. I'll let other people speak on if its the best looking or not, since I don't own it. But for a game that is supposedly the best looking of all time, it is really odd that I feel zero hype or interest in it. The series is just not for me.

Best game I have personally seen is Demon's Souls (PS5).

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You are right. I enjoy playing Ratchet than flight sim. I choose Ratchet every time. But we talking about graphics technology here. Flight sim is doing that not many studios can achieve. Its technical achievement nothing more.

The problem i have with people dropping in FS constantly is because FS is focused on a few things in the "game". Lighting, shadows, detailed planes and cockpit. Some cities look better then others but not everything looks great (yes only if your flying). I played it when it was released and it's a sim you want to play on pc if your into it. It's not a mass product but for the enthusiast. Then again FS2020 is not the only flight sim game and some people still play the others over FS2020.

But it's also clear that a lot in this thread have never seen Ratchet & Clank on a big 4K (OLED) screen.

Last edited:
They scream Flight Sim, but actually they only will try that "game" for 2 weeks and nobody will care about it anymore on consoles.
How many people are replaying R&C at all? As soon as the game is finished not many people are replaying it.

Games like Flight Sim, Forza and especially multiplayer games have the great replayability value. People are still playing MSX, but how many games - not online - are still being played from that era?

It is funny that you called people Xbots yet used the same pony argument about "not that type of game" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Realistic has nothing to do with better graphics...
Now the goalpost moved towards "not that type of graphics" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Playstation has the biggest amount of zealots there.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Can we stop pretendent Flight Sim is a traditional game? It's a simulator is good looking, but lower ground, it doesn't look that hot anymore. And comparing traditional games with all those flight sim games is weird.
Yes, we can arbitrarily decide that one of the best showcases of actual next gen technology including cloud and data streaming doesn't count so that the PS5 wins without question or resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, your wrong...

Realistic has nothing to do with better graphics...

So far you are comparing FS on pc because on consoles it will not look better then the PC version, and Forza really? I think people already clearly said that in this artstyle, there is no competition and Xbots again with their not even released games lol.

The problem i have with people dropping in FS constantly is because FS is focused on a few things in the "game". Lighting, shadows, detailed planes and cockpit. Some cities look better then others but not everything looks great (yes only if your flying). I played it when it was released and it's a sim you want to play on pc if your into it. It's not a mass product but for the enthusiast. Then again FS2020 is not the only flight sim game and some people still play the others over FS2020.

But it's also clear that a lot in this thread have never seen Ratchet & Clank on a big 4K (OLED) screen.
You're taking this too personally as a console warrior. Regardless of whether or not you personally count FS as a game or not is irrelevant. The fact is that FS is significantly superior graphically.

Although I don't believe either FS or Forza Horizon to be directly comparable simply due to artistic design when compared to R&C. The former two are attempting to recreate a realistic environment, while R&C is attempting to recreate concept art. They're trying to accomplish two very different things.

Top Bottom