• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters

Bryank75

Banned
Not for me. I prefer Demon's Souls or MS Flight Sim 2020 running on an high end rig.

A game like Ratchet and Clank can impress because it's using cartoonish visuals, which, in this poster's opinion, are easier to pull off than realistic (even if fantasy-based) visuals. Then again, people that adore Ratchet's look are bound to think the exact opposite and crown it king, which is perfectly fine, of course. It's a great-looking game, for sure.

What really stops it from being numero uno is the Fidelity mode; the 30FPS its putting out doesn't feel smooth at all, especially when moving the camera around.
I played the whole game on 30fps mode and it was very smooth. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Besides we are talking about looks not feels.

Anyway...it's impressive that you think a slightly curved wing bouncing one light source off it with a low fidelity render of the earth underneath can beat R&C......

While Ratchets model alone has 250,000 triangles and much more if you count the fur along with raytracing on him and clank.

This is some bullshit....people are really biased.

Realistic doesn't automatically mean better looking... that's why people love paintings and artistic interpretation. There is NOTHING artistic about Flight Sim.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s the best looking game on the market, but fanboys will say it isn’t because it’s not on their platform of choice. If this were a Xbox game we wouldn’t hear the end of it, and PC bros would be flooding the internet with screenshots if there were a port.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I played the whole game on 30fps mode and it was very smooth. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Besides we are talking about looks not feels.

Anyway...it's impressive that you think a slightly curved wing bouncing one light source off it with a low fidelity render of the earth underneath can beat R&C......

While Ratchets model alone has 250,000 triangles and much more if you count the fur along with raytracing on him and clank.

This is some bullshit....people are really biased.

Realistic doesn't automatically mean better looking... that's why people love paintings and artistic interpretation. There is NOTHING artistic about Flight Sim.

Did you miss this part?

Then again, people that adore Ratchet's look are bound to think the exact opposite and crown it king, which is perfectly fine, of course. It's a great-looking game, for sure.

It's a matter of preference, honestly.

And what am I biased toward? PC? Because the other game I mentioned was/is a PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:
Yeah like i said, no need for abundant detail on the roadside of a racing game. It’s purpose is to race fast. Same same. Accepting one, is accepting the other.
No, as with a racing game, you can stop the car and use photo mode or cruise at 15mph and enjoy the scenery.

With a flying game, you can admire everything from the sky, as you can't drive an airplane everywhere on the ground, or just stop/levitate mid air.

Big difference.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I keep hearing all this talk about how good FS looks and each video I watch of it I'm surprised by how bad it actually looks with low details far away, TONS of pop-in and the map generally fucking up.

I haven't played R&C yet, but all the videos and screenshots I've seen have been amazing.

Either way I don't really care, but some people here will straight up say anything to suit their system bias.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It's the total package. The lighting, the weather, the real globe to explore...and the countless add-ons that are being pumped out all the time to add more to the planet.

It's truly stunning.
So you're not talking about graphics at all, you just want FS to win because look at these words....

We have all seen the countless videos posted of FS..... despite all the nonsense you just said it doesn't make it actually look better.

I can go outside and take a picture and it will still look better than FS....whereas I cannot say the same for R&C.

Sounds like the old argument for racing games. Why do you need 3D trees and roadside detail when you just fly past it at 120mph?!?

It’s for when you do stop, or get close. The illusion breaks down, the shine is dulled.
TLOU2 is a linear, slow paced game at ground level with a huge budget and still has plenty of awful looking graphics. Definitely not consistency and polish throughout like you were talking about before. No game in existence has that yet it's all just how well the cracks can be hidden. Flight Sim looks amazing in flight and poor at the ground - obviously a limitation in terms of what they are hoping to achieve and the game is already by far the largest I have installed in terms of both scope and disk size.

SPZR1zf.jpg
VewhikM.jpg
KY2KV3a.jpg
3OcjaUo.jpg
qFMWAlM.jpg

Shmunter

No, as with a racing game, you can stop the car and use photo mode or cruise at 15mph and enjoy the scenery.

With a flying game, you can admire everything from the sky, as you can't drive an airplane everywhere on the ground, or just stop/levitate mid air.

Big difference.
It clearly is for you. But I know what side I like my bread buttered on.

Chiggs

So you're not talking about graphics at all, you just want FS to win because look at these words....

We have all seen the countless videos posted of FS..... despite all the nonsense you just said it doesn't make it actually look better.

I can go outside and take a picture and it will still look better than FS....whereas I cannot say the same for R&C.

Bryant75k, please calm down. No game or system is worth this level of defense and loss of dignity.

I openly said I enjoyed games with more realistic-style visuals than cartoonish ones, and that is personal preference. In fact, the only real critique I gave Ratchet was the 4k mode, which feels a bit choppier than it should.

You also keep ignoring the fact I mentioned Demon's Souls?

Shmunter

TLOU2 is a linear, slow paced game at ground level with a huge budget and still has plenty of awful looking graphics. Definitely not consistency and polish throughout like you were talking about before. No game in existence has that yet it's all just how well the cracks can be hidden. Flight Sim looks amazing in flight and poor at the ground - obviously a limitation in terms of what they are hoping to achieve and the game is already by far the largest I have installed in terms of both scope and disk size.

SPZR1zf.jpg
VewhikM.jpg
KY2KV3a.jpg
3OcjaUo.jpg
qFMWAlM.jpg
Good grief. 🤬

Topher

Gold Member
Flight simulator is by far the best looking game on any platform in terms of realism. That is a fact.

In terms of art style Ratchet is up there. Both achieve result in different ways. But yeah if I'm home alone, feeling naughty and want to unzip for a play on the couch in nothing but my birthday suit then I'd fire up Flight Sim on my 4K TV.

Agree. Art style is about as subjective as you are going to get as far as "best looking". So any arguments for R&C or Demon Souls or games in general that are imaginative in nature are opinions vs opinions. Might as well argue favorite colors. That is going to be the case for anything and everything labeled "best looking". No idea why anyone believes there will ever be a consensus on this.

Flight sim has amazing lighting. In fact that's what makes it look so real. I would say the same reason a lot of people talk about realism and great graphics in Driveclub is the same reason people talk about amazing graphics in flight sim, the lighting is realistic. The textures and micro detail just isn't there though.

This is one of the better modeled cities in FS:

Or just look at the city thumbnail for the vid someone posted here
Screenshot-20210617-075729-Chrome.jpg

Flightsims lighting and shadows mixed with satelite photographs is what gives it the realistic look.

Don’t get me wrong. I think flight sim is doing some cool things with the scale it has to work with

but it is absolutely not a GRAPHICAL showcase. Nothing about the visuals impresses me as anywhere near industry leading.

Chiggs

Agree. Art style is about as subjective as you are going to get as far as "best looking". So any arguments for R&C or Demon Souls or games in general that are imaginative in nature are opinions vs opinions. Might as well argue favorite colors. That is going to be the case for anything and everything labeled "best looking". No idea why anyone believes there will ever be a consensus on this.

Said it better than I could.

The only consensus I can come up with is: anyone who says Ratchet isn't technically impressive is full of crap, because it is.

Loope

It clearly is for you. But I know what side I like my bread buttered on.
And???? It will always end the same way: It's a matter of perferences and in this very thread there are people getting kind of pissed off, because others don't think it's the best looking game ever. So basically there is no definitive answer. When Ratchet achieves the level of dynamic systems working together like on FS or Forza or GT, then we can compare them. When those games have the level of fidelity Ratchet has, then we can compared them.

A game that i will compare though is RDR2 on PC and to me it looks better.

Bryank75

Banned
Did you miss this part?

It's a matter of preference, honestly.

And what am I biased toward? PC? Because the other game I mentioned was/is a PS5 exclusive.

Here is a video of some of the most impressive stuff FS can do...... look at all the footage, not much is actually happening....what does the engine have to do? It's very passive and simplistic. Even the interiors of the planes are pretty flat.
Even in Rio de Janeiro.... it's just simples trees and bumps and square / rectangular buildings.

FS is a beautiful game but it's just so passive and so little happens, it's held back by reality. It has no real color diversity, no use for raytracing beyond mainly the wings and maybe the glass windshield on the plane.

Then look at this gameplay...

The character models, gun effects, number of detailed enemies, traversal, destruction, lighting, debris etc etc etc just blow Flight Sim away.

Shmunter

And???? It will always end the same way: It's a matter of perferences and in this very thread there are people getting kind of pissed off, because others don't think it's the best looking game ever. So basically there is no definitive answer. When Ratchet achieves the level of dynamic systems working together like on FS or Forza or GT, then we can compare them. When those games have the level of fidelity Ratchet has, then we can compared them.

A game that i will compare though is RDR2 on PC and to me it looks better.
You’ve missed the conversation. It relates to consistent quality, not any specifics.

Loope

You’ve missed the conversation. It relates to consistent quality, not any specifics.
So, only constrained games can only be selected. Because other than RDR2, good luck finding a large scale game with consistency across the board. And even in this very thread, with the showing of the sony fans and media darling (TLOU2) is not consistent, so you would agree it can not be considered the best looking game, right?

Greggy

Here is a video of some of the most impressive stuff FS can do...... look at all the footage, not much is actually happening....what does the engine have to do? It's very passive and simplistic. Even the interiors of the planes are pretty flat.
Even in Rio de Janeiro.... it's just simples trees and bumps and square / rectangular buildings.
That explains why a 2080 TI on ultra is struggling to keep 30 fps. Asobo can't code, they might need your help.

Shmunter

So, only constrained games can only be selected. Because other than RDR2, good luck finding a large scale game with consistency across the board. And even in this very thread, with the showing of the sony fans and media darling (TLOU2) is not consistent, so you would agree it can not be considered the best looking game, right?
No, you can chose whatever you like. Who told you you can’t?

M16

Lol at best looking game. The game isnt even that great, just average, but ps fans have to hype it because theres nothing else to play. Also love how ps fans say starfield trailer was CGI when in fact it was in engine footage, same with hellblade 2, and you want to talk about a cartoony game looking the best?

Last edited:

martino

Last exclusive of my favorite brand is the best looking game on the market, but fanboys will say it isn’t because they like another one. If this were a game on a platform i don't like i wouldn't agree , i would be annoyed someone talk about it and it's them who would be flooding the internet with chery picked screenshots like i'm actually doing.
ftfy

Last edited:

Loope

No, you can chose whatever you like. Who told you you can’t?
I really don't know if you understand scale. So you want a game that renders shit at a scale of 1:100000 with the same consistency that it renders at a scale of 1:10 for example. The plane is kms up in the air and you want consistency, because reasons. Ok

Bryank75

Banned
That explains why a 2080 TI on ultra is struggling to keep 30 fps. Asobo can't code, they might need your help.

Hardware is of no concern, it doesn't mean the image is actually something more pleasing to the eyes. Which is the actual matter of the discussion.

I mean you can talk about your GPU if you want..... that's what seems to matter the most to you guys.

What is happening on the screen apart from the basic geometry of the aircraft and the clouds or the basic representation of the ground below?

Shmunter

I really don't know if you understand scale. So you want a game that renders shit at a scale of 1:100000 with the same consistency that it renders at a scale of 1:10 for example. The plane is kms up in the air and you want consistency, because reasons. Ok
I don’t want anything, to me FS is not even a game. Would never play it.

Or are you saying because of scale, it deserves unanimous support that it’s better looking?

Your not being very articulate, what are u trying to say? That FS is the best looking? Your opinion has been noted.

To me it’s not even in the same stratosphere as R&C. Will you be ok with that?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's not even native 4k it scales dynamically, and 60fps mode has considerable cutbacks, resolution being hit the hardest.
Bookmarking for those wonderful DF threads on some of the XSX reveals at E3. Not to rub it in MS's face, but to see your tonal shift or lack there of criticisms.

Native 4K is a waste of resources, even on the PC. nVidia knows it, AMD knows it, devs know it, etc.. Hence the push for DLSS and Fidelity FX. If the final IQ is just as crisp, with more fidelity and higher framerates, we all win. Regardless of platform. And I used to be a "native purist" until I've been convinced by the new reconstruction tech.

Last edited:

Omegaking

Banned

FS is a beautiful game but it's just so passive and so little happens, it's held back by reality. It has no real color diversity, no use for raytracing beyond mainly the wings and maybe the glass windshield on the plane.

Then look at this gameplay...

The character models, gun effects, number of detailed enemies, traversal, destruction, lighting, debris etc etc etc just blow Flight Sim away.

the crazy part is this video of ratchet and clank look shitty compare to what I see on my 4k tv

Last edited:

Synless

A better thread would have been, what console/PC game has the most advanced use of technology and is it Ratchet and Clank? Otherwise we are arguing preferance, tech would make it quantifiable. Though, people are still arguing over whether or not Super Nintendo VS Genesis graphics or sound were better on one or the other and that's never been decided definitively either... so maybe not.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Yeah that's definitely doesn't look like Gulf of Oman as he describe it. That looks completely pathetic.

image.png

muscat-city-header.jpg

Loope

I don’t want anything, to me FS is not even a game. Would never play it.

Or are you saying because of scale, it deserves unanimous support that it’s better looking?

Your not being very articulate, what are u trying to say? That FS is the best looking? Your opinion has been noted.

To me it’s not even in the same stratosphere as R&C. Will you be ok with that?
I'm trying to say exactly that, each one has an opinion when you can't judge games on the same parameters. I'm plenty articulate, don't worry about it, maybe it's you that's being obtuse for the sake of it.

If you say Ratchet is the best looking, for me it's ok, it is your opinion, just don't try to pass it as fact, for the same reason you can't just say FS is not the best looking factually. Please tell me, while we are at it, where i said FS was the best looking game?

Loope

A better thread would have been, what console/PC game has the most advanced use of technology and is it Ratchet and Clank? Otherwise we are arguing preferance, tech would make it quantifiable. Though, people are still arguing over whether or not Super Nintendo VS Genesis graphics or sound were better on one or the other and that's never been decided definitively either... so maybe not.
That's what i've been trying to say across various threads, but it's always the same thing with Sony fanboys,their opinion is like a scientific paper in their heads. Even those are subjected daily to several challenges when it comes to their conclusions, let alone the opinion of some dude on the internet

I find that animation and attention to detail makes the biggest impact on me. All games look amazing these days. I was playing the MCC Halo CE in 4K 60 with the FOV maxed out on an OLED, and I was amazed.

So, in that respect, The Last of Us 2 holds the crown for me. Ratchet is amazing looking, but it still structurally feels like the PS2 games for me. That is not a criticism, by the way. Ratchet is awesome.

Stuart360

Instead of all this warring and downplaying of different great looking games (ffs), can we just instead say 'Flight Sim is the most realistic looking game ever', and 'Ratchet is the best looking Pixar/cartoon style game yet'?.
There is no need to try and downplay great looking games.

For me, its Ratchet and Clank, The PS5 patched TLOU2, Forza Horizon 5, and Flight Sim, for the best looking games yet.

Oh and a shout out to my heavily modded Skyrim, its right up there!. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Vick

Lol at best looking game. The game isnt even that great, just average, but ps fans have to hype it because theres nothing else to play. Also love how ps fans say starfield trailer was CGI when in fact it was in engine footage, same with hellblade 2, and you want to talk about a cartoony game looking the best?
halo infinite looked incredible.
salty sony fans who are mad they keep being fed the same recycled walking simulator for $70
x7vbprmu4fm61.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No doubt.

There is so many things happening in the screen at once it's just crazy.
True. I tried to capture some of the things in one of my screenshots.

bfb5Cbz.jpg

In this image, there are bolts, foliage (created dynamically from my topiary sprinkler weapon), pyro effects from my Executor, trees on the right side, flying leaves from my blast, electric blue lights because of the destroyed electric capacitors, particle effects at 11'0 clock ... All this also creates dynamic light sources that are reflected in 4K on all reflective surfaces, including tiny random non-interactable critters and bugs.

All with rock solid 60 FPS. It's mind-blowing.

Top Bottom