• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have been gaming a very long time. I have been through many generations and remember being promised Toy story level graphics many moons ago. .

Playing R&C A Rift apart (especially with a good hdr tv) is an unreal experience. Cranking the game into Fidelity mode makes toy story seem very primitive today. It actually feels and looks like playing a pixar movie. It gets my vote because the game is just an amazing achievement. In my eyes this is the new graphics king by a pretty big margin. I know guys came come on here with their $1200+ rigs saying they can push X games at X frames per second. Fuck all that. AT 30FPS IT"S AMAZING!

The Ray Tracing mode at 60FPS may still be the best looking game to date!

Nice looking game but whatever. I'm not here for that 😂

Anyone with a PS5 digital edition able to comment on the console?
What is operating sound like? Fan noise?
Does it ramp up the fans during intense games?
Or is it quiet running PS4 games at higher resolutions?

So many questions cause I want to put down my deposit on one for the August shipment.

Oh and Ratchet looks nice but please answer my questions those who can 😂

Sorry OP I don't want to hijack the whole thread, just maybe a small part of it 😂

Last edited:

tommib

So many questions cause I want to put down my deposit on one for the August shipment.

Sorry OP I don't want to hijack the whole thread, just maybe a small part of it 😂
I have one.

0 noise. Fans don’t ramp up. Always quiet. Even in Demon’s Souls photo mode which to me is the most graphically taxing real-time shit I’ve seen.

zkorejo

I came in expecting awesome gifs and screenshots.

I don't have a ps5 yet so I haven't seen alot of the game.

I have one.

0 noise. Fans don’t ramp up. Always quiet. Even in Demon’s Souls photo mode which to me is the most graphically taxing real-time shit I’ve seen.

InformalPoisedGerbil-size_restricted.gif

That doesn't even count...
Flight simulator is by far the best looking game on any platform in terms of realism. That is a fact.

In terms of art style Ratchet is up there. Both achieve result in different ways. But yeah if I'm home alone, feeling naughty and want to unzip for a play on the couch in nothing but my birthday suit then I'd fire up Flight Sim on my 4K TV.

Last edited:

Don't buy a PS5... you're asking the wrong questions. Buy a $5000 PC like my cousin did. He play's everything on is Samsung G9 @ 1440p... and he fucking loves it. The Fan noise, it just reminds him that his PC is doing fucking work. Played CyperPunk at max on his rig with RT on... has a PS5, played Ratchet, loves the way it looks and thinks it looks great too. Also played Flight Simulator, I'm assuming you have to at the settings he has. Stay away from a PS5, not gonna be near the experience you currently have on your PC.

Edit: This was the 1st PC he had ever bought... I told him that it was a ridiculous purchase! Especially as a first PC purchase. Dude loves Genshin. Played Genshin on PS5, then PC... he's back to Genshin on PS5 after the update, dude loves the loading 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I think in some ways ratchet is the most impressive game I’ve seen. But to unequivocally say it’s the best looking ever ignores some other things going on like Metro on PC. And of course the nvidia marble demo is insane but it’s not a game.

And that is not a fact. Just my opinion.

Klik

I have been gaming a very long time. I have been through many generations and remember being promised Toy story level graphics many moons ago. .

Playing R&C A Rift apart (especially with a good hdr tv) is an unreal experience. Cranking the game into Fidelity mode makes toy story seem very primitive today. It actually feels and looks like playing a pixar movie. It gets my vote because the game is just an amazing achievement. In my eyes this is the new graphics king by a pretty big margin. I know guys came come on here with their $1200+ rigs saying they can push X games at X frames per second. Fuck all that. AT 30FPS IT"S AMAZING!

And developers said they only touched tip of the iceberg of what is possible with PS5 hardware.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

Have the PS5 digital edition here.

You never hear the fans…like ever! No matter what you throw at it and mine is in a TV cabinet.

It’s world apart from the wind tunnel that was PS4.

Nice looking game but being massively overated by sonygaf.

Yes I have it with my PS5 plugged into an OLED TV
Just watched my brother play it a couple of hours ago, and my takeaway is basically the same.

Definitely a looker for sure, but there are comparables to it. It stands with many of the best currently, but Flight Simulator for example is in a completely different league.

Dr Bass

Nice looking game but being massively overated by sonygaf.

Yes I have it with my PS5 plugged into an OLED TV
Massively overrated by almost every reviewer out there as well? If it's "massively overrated" name one thing that is honestly in it's league? What else out there could pass for movie? What else out there has the kind of ray traced visuals that you see in some of those levels? Some of that stuff is just incredible looking and I've never seen anything like it before.

The only competition could be on PC since it doesn't seem like the big Xbox games are even adding RT yet.

ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-review-1623153396200.jpg

So the above is the actual game in real time. This is the gameplay. Can you tell me how this is "massively overrated"?

ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-all-weapons-list.jpeg

Another in game real time shot above.

Sony-debuts-a-Ratchet-and-Clank-Rift-Apart-PS5-bundle.jpg

More in game real time goodness.

03LG2Gf7EMddDp0FzdFIi4C-1.1622563512.fit_scale.size_1028x578.jpg

Yet another gameplay shot.

3829724-racra_nefariouscity_bazaar.png

Another shot from very early in the game. And I have played all of these areas so I can confirm these shots are real.

And the crazy part is that later levels that Sony didn't want shown look even better than this.

So PLEASE, for crying out loud if this is "massively overrated" tell me a single game that equals or surpasses the execution seen on this title.

I don't give a :lollipop_poop: about platforms. I'm more excited for Metroid Dread than I am Horizon Forbidden West (which honestly I'm not really looking forward to at all). I'm really excited to play Replaced. I just want to play fun games. So yeah, just look at this. Show me some screens of anything that can compete with this right now. Please.

Its a great looking game

but to be honest the best looking games i've seen with my own eyes were and still are Crysis 3 maxed out on pc at launch, The Order 1886, Ryse, Uncharted 4 and believe it or not Beyond Two Souls (on a PS3)

Zuzu

For console it may be at the moment until MS Flight Simulator releases on Series X (though, at a technical level, the new Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition gives it a run for its money with its ray traced global illumination). In comparison to PC games I would say that on a technical level Cyberpunk running at max settings and maximum ray tracing settings at 4k is superior to Ratchet. Cyberpunk has full ray traced global illumination I believe and very advanced looking materials quality and it's all running in an open world environment.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Are you talking about art direction or technical prowess or technical achievements within the confines of the PS5 hardware?
It's a damn good looking game aesthetically it's also doing impressive RT considering the fairly weak hardware it's running on (compared to what is available on PC) but I personally like FF7R more from aesthetics and think TLOU2 is even more impressive relative to it's hardware and Cyberpunk is in my eyes better looking if you disregard hardware limitations.

One should also remember that good looking screen shots from games on consoles often cheat by only showing still from it's 30fps modes. On PC it's expected that those are 60fps at least. The real test for this game is to take a screen shot (not in photo mode as it bumps res to 4K) in Performance RT mode.

You dont have to be shyan about it, it really is thea best looking game to date.

mxbison

I don't share the Flight Sim hype at all.

Played it on a RTX 3070 so not max settings but pretty close. It's impressive from a technical standpoint but at no point did I think "Wow what a stunning game".

Haven't played Ratchet and Clank yet but going by the videos it could be the best looking right now.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it looks pretty amazing, but Im not sure if it’s the aesthetic or what.when I’m actually playing I just think ….this looks really great but not the best looking game great.
I love the game by the way but I feel it looks like what i expect a ps5 ratchet from insomniacs to look like.

I think miles morales cut scenes looked as good if not better and that was cross Gen. Their raytracing implementation should be applauded though.

Andodalf

Banned
It achieves its given style as well as anything else, but I wouldn’t say it’s “better” than something like flight sim.

Random shot at pc gaming in the end is random

Rea

It's great looking for both aesthetically and artistically. I have never seen a game with Sooo much texture details than this game. I almost always stand and move my camera close to many objects in the game to see the details, *during gameplay*. Everything looks So much details and realistic materials. The artists at Insomniac worked their asses off to put hella lots of tons of details. I Can't stop admiring those textures.

Here’s the thing, there might be some games that do certain things “technically” better, there’s imperfections - sure. But they put the right effort into the right things that make the picture as a whole as you’re playing it have an overall graphical effect unlike anything currently released that I’ve seen. It is the best overall looking game graphically I don’t see how you can play it and not think this.

Top Bottom