• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters
For me, easily. People are always going to have different opinions of course and we're all impressed by different things.

Metro Exodus for example looks like shit to me. Pretty raytracing but really bad animation, character models, faces, motion capture and inconsistent texture quality ruins it for me.

FH5? Meh, pretty lightning and high resolution but that's about it. Not impressed at all.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
R&C looks amazing but have you guys seen the new Foza? I'm not even into driving games, but holy shit that game is a step to photo realistic at some scenes.
The far-away natural environments (especially the mountains) have nice photogramattery, but it also has a lot of low-quality assets and textures in other areas.

The game looks very, very good (I'm not knocking it down), but R&C: Rift Apart, on the other hand, has just super high-quality assets through and through. Everything is super detailed, which gives it a definite edge.

Here are some screenshots from Forza for reference. Look at the muddled wall textures, low-poly assets (buildings, chairs), low-poly crowd, low-quality tesselation, etc. Again, to clarify, Forza looks very pretty (better than most games out there), but it has cut corners in multiple areas. That's not the case with R&C.

A lot of it actually looks last-gen if you have a keen eye to see it.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
The far-away natural environments (especially the mountains) have nice photogramattery, but it also has a lot of low-quality assets and textures in other areas.

The game looks very, very good (I'm not knocking it down), but R&C: Rift Apart, on the other hand, has just super high-quality assets through and through. Everything is super detailed, which gives it a definite edge.

Here are some screenshots from Forza for reference. Look at the muddled wall textures, low-poly assets (buildings, chairs), low-poly crowd, low-quality tesselation, etc. Again, to clarify, Forza looks very pretty (better than most games out there), but it has cut corners in multiple areas. That's not the case with R&C.
And erm, how big are the areas in ratchet compared with Forza!?

Three

I'm sorry but this just does not look better. And this is apparently with max visual settings. It honestly doesn't even look to be in the same stratosphere. :messenger_winking:

Flight sim has poor micro detail but good macro detail. looks stunning from afar because you are looking at satelite photos which look real. It aims for realism. Ratchet has truly amazing micro and macro detail and is not the same artstyle but everything it does is very very high quality.

Hoddi

It's easily one of the best looking games so far. It's more DreamWorks than Pixar though because the writing also matters.

Really though, we're at the point where personal preference matters more than anything else. I feel that The Order 1886 and AC Unity are easily competitive with more modern games and Mario Kart 8 looks absolutely stunning when running at 8k in an emulator.

Blond

Banned
🤌 🔥MAMA MIA SPICY TAKE INCOMING🔥🤌

In art direction yes I see where you’re going with that. But art direction, animation, presentation, still goes to the TLOU 2 regardless of my opinion with the story. Everything about it sucked me into the game even when the story got off the rails.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It does look good but metro exodus with the full ray tracing engine beats it.
nah. Exodus have some low assets quality.
If we just put final graphics result, TLOU2 or Death Stranding at my choices. Don't care if the lighting is baked or RT. The final resulting image in tlou2 is superb.
That said, technically Demons and Ratchet are up there. maybe even above

I get the point you're trying to make here, but the two games aren't exactly comparable in this exact context. The two games are showing vastly different things in regards to scope and size, speed, as well as realism.

Attempting to nitpick one for its cut corners in this context specifically doesn't really work when one is attempting to replicate real life objects while the other isn't. I could counter your point by saying that R&C is cutting every corner by simply creating easy to render images vs creating difficult to render images such as Forza.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Personally it's Flight Sim for me, and I don't want to ignore certain elements of Cyberpunk 2077. On PC, that game looks great especially Night City.
I keep forgetting about cyberpunk! Like metro the ray tracing tech is leaps beyond what insomniac are doing. I think I just like good lighting and that tends to sway it for me. Ratchet probably has the best animation I've seen so far though.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And erm, how big are the areas in ratchet compared with Forza!?
Pretty big. Planets like Savali is a huge open-world planet.

UU5TSHq.jpg

Then planets like Nefarious City have unprecedented density.

eILbxbQ.png

Look, we can go on and on in circles. I can ask "how dense are the areas in Forza compared to R&C", and "How many NPCs are in Forza than R&C", or "Does Forza use 4K ray-tracing as R&C does?". But I'm really not here to argue.

As I said earlier, Forza looks superb! Very pretty and better than most games out there, but it does have its shortcomings (as I showed earlier). Shortcomings that aren't available on Ratchet & Clank.

So put together in a side-by-side comparison, Ratchet & Clank is a better-looking game with better graphical fidelity, more details, more density, more NPC, more high-quality textures, LOD-0 assets, and 4K ray-tracing.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Nice looking game but whatever. I'm not here for that 😂

Anyone with a PS5 digital edition able to comment on the console?
What is operating sound like? Fan noise?
Does it ramp up the fans during intense games?
Or is it quiet running PS4 games at higher resolutions?

So many questions cause I want to put down my deposit on one for the August shipment.

Oh and Ratchet looks nice but please answer my questions those who can 😂

Sorry OP I don't want to hijack the whole thread, just maybe a small part of it 😂
I had a PS4 Pro, when i played God of War the wife left the room and i had to wear headphones due to the fucking jet engine noise coming from the telly, when i played in on my PS5 Disc version, it was whisper fucking silent.. you could hear a mouse fart the room was that silent.. i wept a little bit then proceeded to behead and murder dozens, its incredibly quiet.

Three

Don’t get the love for flight sim

not even in the Top 5, sterile with ok lighting and poor micro detail
Flight sim has amazing lighting. In fact that's what makes it look so real. I would say the same reason a lot of people talk about realism and great graphics in Driveclub is the same reason people talk about amazing graphics in flight sim, the lighting is realistic. The textures and micro detail just isn't there though.

This is one of the better modeled cities in FS:

Or just look at the city thumbnail for the vid someone posted here
Screenshot-20210617-075729-Chrome.jpg

Flightsims lighting and shadows mixed with satelite photographs is what gives it the realistic look.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Yes it looks incredible, definitely the best looking game I've played on the PlayStation consoles.

I can't say about other platforms, because for a few years now I'm almost exclusively a PS player.

Last edited:
Best looking will forever be very subjective (some would say a 2D game is the best looking).

But it's very probably the most technically impressive game, sure. Highly detailed assets (like never seen before on such a big game) + locked 60fps + RT reflections (which are one of the most expensive kind of RT) and absurd amount of stuff displayed once you start playing with your arsenal.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty big. Planets like Savali is a huge open-world planet.

UU5TSHq.jpg

Then planets like Nefarious City have unprecedented density.

eILbxbQ.png

Look, we can go on and on in circles. I can ask "how dense are the areas in Forza compared to R&C", and "How many NPCs are in Forza than R&C", or "Does Forza use 4K ray-tracing as R&C does?". But I'm really not here to argue.

As I said earlier, Forza looks superb! Very pretty and better than most games out there, but it does have its shortcomings (as I showed earlier). Shortcomings that aren't available on Ratchet & Clank.

So put together in a side-by-side comparison, Ratchet & Clank is a better-looking game with better graphical fidelity, more details, more density, more NPC, more high-quality textures, LOD-0 assets, and 4K ray-tracing.
But the open world planet there doesn't look anywhere near as good as Forza's open word environment...

dcmk7

Banned

So many questions cause I want to put down my deposit on one for the August shipment.

Sorry OP I don't want to hijack the whole thread, just maybe a small part of it 😂
Hope you get one soon bud.

It's horrendous this stock & scalper situation.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
But the open world planet there doesn't look anywhere near as good as Forza's open word environment...
It looks pretty good. That was just one random screenshot I picked from Google Images to show you the open-world planet.

Here is another (random Google) image of the same planet. All these are LOD-0 assets with superb details. No low-poly assets or texture.

ReyTO2L.jpg

TonyK

It's the best in fidelity mode, but more normal in performance mode. In my opinion, Ratchet in RT performance mode looks less impressive than Demons Souls in quality mode, for example. So is easy to imagine that Ratchet RT performance looks worse than Flight Simulator in a beefy PC

Maybe not the most flattering shot of TLOU2 (but the only one I have looking over a cityscape - feel free to provide something better) but the jump in overall scene quality between gens is huge.

I'm sure Ratchet will be topped soon enough but it looks great.

MiiGW6n.jpg

T7fQcag.jpg

SCB3

Its super quiet, my Series S is louder tbh

I have a PS5 digital and it doesn't make any sound at all. I'm not joking, there's no sound whatsoever and I've been using it a lot.

Also a relative of mine has a PS5 With disc drive and that thing is so noisy. It's probably the moist noisy console I've ever heard.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
In it’s style it is the best looking game. The micro detail is enormous, RT reflections are high res and the overall the game is graphically impressive.

I think it looks pretty amazing, but Im not sure if it’s the aesthetic or what.when I’m actually playing I just think ….this looks really great but not the best looking game great.
I love the game by the way but I feel it looks like what i expect a ps5 ratchet from insomniacs to look like.

I think miles morales cut scenes looked as good if not better and that was cross Gen. Their raytracing implementation should be iapplauded though.
It's the art style. Ratchet obviously is the lost graphically advanced game we've seen, but it's not the best looking game.

For me the best looking game is TLOU Part II. I played it on an LG CX and my god it was just amazing, Ratchet doesn't even come close.

Considering it’s a cartoony looking game, it could arguably be the best looking game I’ve seen especially on consoles. I haven’t played a lot of PC games at the highest settings admittedly, but I think the game looks amazing. This is still first generation stuff.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

This is the best looking game released to date.
Nothing comes close to the Fidelity mode its depth, quality of assets and pure sharpness are unrivalled.

In Perf RT mode it still looks brilliant but I would say Demons Souls looks comparible that's why you should be playing it in Fidelity mode. The 30fps is more than smooth enough.

This is the best looking game released to date.
Nothing comes close to the Fidelity mode its depth, quality of assets and pure sharpness are unrivalled.

In Perf RT mode it still looks brilliant but I would say Demons Souls looks comparible that's why you should be playing it in Fidelity mode. The 30fps is more than smooth enough.
It's not even native 4k it scales dynamically, and 60fps mode has considerable cutbacks, resolution being hit the hardest.

Top Bottom