• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters
Its like comparing this
bc0247d774173dbcae97e5f3a80e2b58_4096x2214_9cf59b35.jpeg

with this
the-avengers-group-image.jpg

both look great for what they are, just like R&C and FS, FH,...
It's a bad comparison because the avengers don't exist IRL. Also that picture is filled with artistic choices. Go outside and take a photo with your phone. That's arguably closer to what FS is.

MrFunSocks

Banned
lol and?

Its moot.

They CHOOSE a Sony system causse they like those games, do you buy shit you don't like? smh. You also have many people on here that simply like that art direction compared to realism.

So it doesn't actually "skews polls", it represents what the majority feel cause that is the base that fucking bought a PS over a XB, you are simply mad the vote didn't go your way man. Thats like saying living in the state of Florida, its not fair that old people voting make up the laws, I mean shit the more old people, the more they vote for things they like cause they old.

So this whole "1 number is bigger so its unfair booo hooo" is moot as shit, its bigger for a reason, those systems didn't just fall in the laps of consumers and its disrespectful as shit as it tries to dismiss the opinion of a consumer simply cause many agree with them. They can't help that they like Ratchet and many people agree with them.
Again, completely missed the point.

I own an xbox series x. I don't think that every MS exclusive game is the best looking game ever just because its exclusive to the xbox.

Ate you with me?

The number of blind fanboys skews any poll. There are people on this site arguing that flight sim looks bad because when you land in the middle of new York after flying around the world for 17 hours there are some low res textures and no AI characters lol. In a game that literally has the entire world modelled.

MrFunSocks

Banned
And yet the poll is nearly dead even. So yes, what games the poll is referring to absolutely does matter. Not all Sony fans are going to agree that R&C is the best looking game ever.
It shouldn't be anywhere close to dead even because the question is stupid and the obvious answer is no.

"Best looking" is 100% subjective, there's no measure of it to say "this game is the best looking". I played "The Touryst" last night since it's leaving gamepass and holy cow that game looks amazing! It has a completely different art style and design to flight sim though, so you can't say one looks better than the other.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
It's a bad comparison because the avengers don't exist IRL. Also that picture is filled with artistic choices. Go outside and take a photo with your phone. That's arguably closer to what FS is.
Its not only for FS, i also mentioned other games like FH,... . Look at Iron Man, he looks realistic in that scene because thats what they aim for. that was the point of the comparison, they render realistic characters vs cartoony.

Topher

Gold Member
It shouldn't be anywhere close to dead even because the question is stupid and the obvious answer is no.

"Best looking" is 100% subjective, there's no measure of it to say "this game is the best looking". I played "The Touryst" last night since it's leaving gamepass and holy cow that game looks amazing! It has a completely different art style and design to flight sim though, so you can't say one looks better than the other.

Yes, it is 100% subjective which means there is no "obvious answer" at all. People should just give their opinion and leave it at that. Arguing opinions is what is stupid.

Outrunner

Nice try, but comparing a background character to a main character isn't a fair comparison. How about Sulley from 2001, the hair/fur is more advanced than Rachet.

or starting at the 2 min mark

Have you actually watched the movie? I have twice and finished R&C.

Compare the water animation (waves lapping on the beach), the hair (with movement), the details of the textures (things like clothing) its really not even close.

R&C looks like a cartoon, Luca looks like a state of the art CGI movie.

Why are you comparing a pre-rendered movie with a real time rendered videogame?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Been playing TLOU2 and took a 4k 60 fps HDR capture of the best looking section in the game. The foliage looks absolutely amazing. The lighting is stunning. It's only 1440p and 60 fps, but man it looks amazing on tv.

yes, it;s a linear corridor but it goes on forever and really shows what devs could do on a base PS4 this gen albeit at 1080p 30 fps.

EDMIX

I own an xbox series x. I don't think that every MS exclusive game is the best looking game ever just because its exclusive to the xbox.
Thats amazing, I agree, apply that to other gamers then man, you are not the only one.
The number of blind fanboys skews any poll.
yet you didn't apply that here huh? Sooooooo you don't think every MS exclusive is the best looking game ever, that is fine, but why the fuck are you saying someone is a blind fanboy and they skew a poll cause they fucking disagree with you? So you can like something from MS, but if someone likes something from Sony, they are a blind fanboy? wow man. You first point is valid, too bad you can't understand it applies to us all. You are free to like that game, no debate, stop fucking then making it sound as if that isn't allowed by other consumers if that view might be different.

There are people on this site arguing that flight sim looks bad because when you land in the middle of new York after flying around the world for 17 hours there are some low res textures and no AI characters lol. In a game that literally has the entire world modelled.

They are free to feel it looks bad then, its their view on the game.

If that is the reason they feel that way, I don't understand what you are upset about.

Its simply how they feel......thats it. You going fucking fight them cause they don't like realistic looking games or the low res stuff?

The game having the entire world modeled is not what's being debated I'm sorry but you desperately try to argue something that is an objective fact like they "modeled" something with the idea that by default it means it's supposed to be the best-looking and everyone supposed to agree with that....

The best way of explaining this ironically is something that is already happened in the modern world regarding something exactly like this and it was the introduction of Photography, many artists pursued impressionism during this timeframe simply because it was something that photography could not technically capture so when somebody is making a realistic painting a lot of times this was because of the absence of Photography and when photography came in to be many artist went into impressionism but this is no different than the more gaming got realistic you started to see just as much stylistic games.

1_Berthe_Morisot.jpg

Users like Danjin44 Danjin44 prefer stylistic games no different than someone might prefer impressionism over photography it's not fucking saying that the photography is not capturing something in real life perfectly it's saying so what? It's not offering anything as interesting to that user compared to impressionism so people like Dan are going to prefer stuff that are anime or stylize because their personal preference that is actually much more interesting than scanning someone's face but that in essence is the same concept as photography versus impressionism it is not debating how realistic something is it is simply stating that someone prefers the impressionistic or stylistic art Direction. To resort to call people fanboys cause they disagree with you is just ridiculous. The people who like stylistic games, buy those games cause they like the style ie moot, it means them picking such a game OVER Flight Sim is clearly cause they are a fan of 1 style over the other or simply don't like how Flight Sim looks even if they like realistic as even within that direction, you'll have subjective views. Its like saying everyone who likes these paintings is going to be a Nintendo fanboy, but are the are they a fan the style FIRST and thus will buy Nintendo games cause THAT supports the style they like? No one forced them to like it, no one is putting a gun to their heads to buy those games, they like the style, thus buy the game.

I mean you keep fucking thinking the harder you scream that it's modeled from something in real life that by default we are all supposed to agree that it's the "best looking" but that's not how subjective opinions work you could take a fucking picture of someone and we could see a painting of someone in you're still going to get people who like the painting better than simply the picture.

Think closely about what you're saying it's basically like saying "the portrait is literally a picture of the model" as if the fucking debate was questioning what was real or what wasn't or what is more realistic or what is not or something like that I don't even understand why you stated that statement because the topic has nothing to do with what is more realistic or lifelike or anything like that simply "best looking".

So how someone sees such a thing has nothing to do with "fanboys" or "dis modeled doe" etc

Someone thinking this

a5ac031531becc6034471c60562df932.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

looks better then this
1c0ae81c38802cda9826cf261fdb385e_crop_north.jpg

is not a debate of what is more real looking.

It is them saying they enjoy the impressionistic and stylistic directions.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Thats amazing, I agree, apply that to other gamers then man, you are not the only one.

yet you didn't apply that here huh? Sooooooo you don't think every MS exclusive is the best looking game ever, that is fine, but why the fuck are you saying someone is a blind fanboy and they skew a poll cause they fucking disagree with you? So you can like something from MS, but if someone likes something from Sony, they are a blind fanboy? wow man. You first point is valid, too bad you can't understand it applies to us all. You are free to like that game, no debate, stop fucking then making it sound as if that isn't allowed by other consumers if that view might be different.

They are free to feel it looks bad then, its their view on the game.

If that is the reason they feel that way, I don't understand what you are upset about.

Its simply how they feel......thats it. You going fucking fight them cause they don't like realistic looking games or the low res stuff?

The game having the entire world modeled is not what's being debated I'm sorry but you desperately try to argue something that is an objective fact like they "modeled" something with the idea that by default it means it's supposed to be the best-looking and everyone supposed to agree with that....

The best way of explaining this ironically is something that is already happened in the modern world regarding something exactly like this and it was the introduction of Photography, many artists pursued impressionism during this timeframe simply because it was something that photography could not technically capture so when somebody is making a realistic painting a lot of times this was because of the absence of Photography and when photography came in to be many artist went into impressionism but this is no different than the more gaming got realistic you started to see just as much stylistic games.

1_Berthe_Morisot.jpg

Users like Danjin44 Danjin44 prefer stylistic games no different than someone might prefer impressionism over photography it's not fucking saying that the photography is not capturing something in real life perfectly it's saying so what? It's not offering anything as interesting to that user compared to impressionism so people like Dan are going to prefer stuff that are anime or stylize because their personal preference that is actually much more interesting than scanning someone's face but that in essence is the same concept as photography versus impressionism it is not debating how realistic something is it is simply stating that someone prefers the impressionistic or stylistic art Direction. To resort to call people fanboys cause they disagree with you is just ridiculous. The people who like stylistic games, buy those games cause they like the style ie moot, it means them picking such a game OVER Flight Sim is clearly cause they are a fan of 1 style over the other or simply don't like how Flight Sim looks even if they like realistic as even within that direction, you'll have subjective views. Its like saying everyone who likes these paintings is going to be a Nintendo fanboy, but are the are they a fan the style FIRST and thus will buy Nintendo games cause THAT supports the style they like? No one forced them to like it, no one is putting a gun to their heads to buy those games, they like the style, thus buy the game.

I mean you keep fucking thinking the harder you scream that it's modeled from something in real life that by default we are all supposed to agree that it's the "best looking" but that's not how subjective opinions work you could take a fucking picture of someone and we could see a painting of someone in you're still going to get people who like the painting better than simply the picture.

Think closely about what you're saying it's basically like saying "the portrait is literally a picture of the model" as if the fucking debate was questioning what was real or what wasn't or what is more realistic or what is not or something like that I don't even understand why you stated that statement because the topic has nothing to do with what is more realistic or lifelike or anything like that simply "best looking".

So how someone sees such a thing has nothing to do with "fanboys" or "dis modeled doe" etc

Someone thinking this

a5ac031531becc6034471c60562df932.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

looks better then this
1c0ae81c38802cda9826cf261fdb385e_crop_north.jpg

is not a debate of what is more real looking.

It is them saying they enjoy the impressionistic and stylistic directions.
Again, missed the point.

I said that if fanboys weren’t fanboying the poll would be 100% voted no, or more specifically the poll wouldn’t even exist in the first place. It is not fair to say it’s the best looking game ever made. Zero people should agree that it is “fair to say” that.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
FS looks stellar in the air but land and look around.

I landed today at my house and this is what it looked like on the Series X on 2 gig fiber.

that rock thing is my 3 story home and the green things are palm trees.

blLAoCs.png
And this is what Horizon looks like from the sky.

Ws0Xui5.jpg

V5iwuE0.jpg

Doesnt diminish just how it incredible looks on the ground where it matters.

q4nzl9T.gif

EDMIX

The number of blind fanboys skews any poll.

I said that if fanboy

No you didn't bud, you never stated anything like "if" as in a possibility of or anything like that, you simply state "blind fanboys skews any poll" as if to argue that any number of fans must be dismissed if they disagree with you or something.

I'm not sure why you would even lie and say that when we can see your post man lol

You liking Flight Sim is not being fanboy, but someone liking Ratchet MUST be a fanboy? smh.

It is not fair to say it’s the best looking game ever made.

Its just as fair as saying you love how Flight Sim looks bud, your view is not any more important then other users. You seem to have a hard time dealing with that. Never did I argue you don't genuinely love how it looks, never did I call you a fanboy, never did I dismiss your view about the game as some agenda of liking one company or the other. So I don't really understand why you can't accept that someone likes how this game looks, yet I accept that you can like how Flight Sim looks, shit bud its fair for you to believe its the fucking BEST LOOKING GAME EVER MADE.....just as much as its fair that someone can disagree and feel its Ratchet. I don't get this idea that anything that disagrees with your view is not "fair" lol

Its fair for someone to feel Ratchet is the best looking game ever made bud, I don't even agree with that and still feel they are free to fucking feel that way and believe that. You the gaming police? They broke the law? You going to tell me how many pixels are in that Flight Sim game that make it a criminals offense not to like how it looks? lol

MrFunSocks

Banned
No you didn't bud, you never stated anything like "if" as in a possibility of or anything like that, you simply state "blind fanboys skews any poll" as if to argue that any number of fans must be dismissed if they disagree with you or something.

I'm not sure why you would even lie and say that when we can see your post man lol

You liking Flight Sim is not being fanboy, but someone liking Ratchet MUST be a fanboy? smh.

Its just as fair as saying you love how Flight Sim looks bud, your view is not any more important then other users. You seem to have a hard time dealing with that. Never did I argue you don't genuinely love how it looks, never did I call you a fanboy, never did I dismiss your view about the game as some agenda of liking one company or the other. So I don't really understand why you can't accept that someone likes how this game looks, yet I accept that you can like how Flight Sim looks, shit bud its fair for you to believe its the fucking BEST LOOKING GAME EVER MADE.....just as much as its fair that someone can disagree and feel its Ratchet. I don't get this idea that anything that disagrees with your view is not "fair" lol

Its fair for someone to feel Ratchet is the best looking game ever made bud, I don't even agree with that and still feel they are free to fucking feel that way and believe that. You the gaming police? They broke the law? You going to tell me how many pixels are in that Flight Sim game that make it a criminals offense not to like how it looks? lol
Ok you clearly can't get your head around it, so I'm not gonna keep going.

EDMIX

Ok you clearly can't get your head around it, so I'm not gonna keep going.

You haven't done much to discuss this topic in any meaningful way.

Your entire argument is

favour a sony console

significantly more PS owners

More sony consoles out there means more people are going to choose a sony game

blind fanboys

entire world modelled.

and on and on.

They favor the system cause they like those types of games, because they like those types of games, they will vote for this game over Flight Sim, but you could argue that even with Nintendo fans, they are not fucking picking it solely cause its a Nintendo game, they are siding with it cause they already like the art style thus buy games that support that style.

moving2.jpeg

Thus...them fucking saying they like how this would be game looks like has nothing to do with being Sony fans or Nintendo fans or fanboys etc, they are a fucking fan of the art style those companies put out, thus pick the systems up in larger numbers to BUY THOSE FUCKING GAMES, its a moot point.

You are just fucking mad their vote is higher then yours, thats it. What are going to do? ONLY make the poll for XB gamers? Oh exclude Sony, Nintendo, Ubisoft fans etc LOL

That is some massive delusion man. lol Thats like me telling you Nintendo fans picking Zelda in a poll MUST be fanboys, they really hate Zelda, they only like it cause they Own a Switch, which they bought cause da Nintendo fanboyz and they just buy games to brag and don't actually play anything, just spend money wildly never playing any game /s

Last edited:
Flight simulator is by far the best looking game on any platform in terms of realism. That is a fact.

In terms of art style Ratchet is up there. Both achieve result in different ways. But yeah if I'm home alone, feeling naughty and want to unzip for a play on the couch in nothing but my birthday suit then I'd fire up Flight Sim on my 4K TV.
I play flight sim on a 3090. Up close some of the textures are complete trash....from 10k feet and up? Yea, it looks amazing and I'm not trying to diminish it's accomplishment. R&C looks good no matter how you're scrutinizing it.

Driveclub is still the most amazing looking game of all vehicle games, including FS, GT Sport and Forza 5. I don't care if one is rendering the whole world and another is open world, they don't amaze me as much as DriveClub's action, weather and terrain. It's my opinion, I'm not saying those games can't look really pretty and impressive, they just don't impress me as much.

mejin

Ratchet is the best looking thing I have ever played.

But there is a lot more to it than that. It's the sheer amount of assets that can all be on screen at one time without losing quality. The texture resolution is just absurd even zoomed all the way in

Plus rock solid performance. I upgraded Gloves of Doom and mr. Fungi weapons till lvl 5 and I shoot a full ammo from both on the screen in the fidelity mode with 120hz enabled. Its crazy.

It's now fair to say there will be two better looking games than Ratchet and Clank. MSFS2020, and Forza Horizon 5, both FREE on Gamepass(sorry, $1 for 3 years of access). R+C also seems hella short so I'll eventually get it when it's much cheaper.

People comparing Ratchet and Clank which is a full fledge game with tons of action and many things going on screen,

vs

A flight simulator where you just fly across the screen? The logic is simply amazing

No, people are comparing a $70 short ass tech demo that you can finish in less than 10 hours with really cringe facial expressions made to intentionally lure in furries,

vs

A flight simulator where you can fly literally anywhere on this planet and has real-time weather, allows you to change the amount of precipitation, winds, time of day, etc. at any point while flying, and deals WAY more with physics. It's an enormous technological achievement, ESPECIALLY that they got the fucking thing working on the XSS and XSX.

Demon's Souls looks better than R+C anyway.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
You havent played RDR2 and the graphics really are not the most outstanding point, its the insane detail to everything making it the most realistic feeling world ever. AND I havent touched the single player component.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's now fair to say there will be two better looking games than Ratchet and Clank. MSFS2020, and Forza Horizon 5, both FREE on Gamepass(sorry, $1 for 3 years of access). R+C also seems hella short so I'll eventually get it when it's much cheaper.
*$181 for 3 years of access. People seem to always overlook that to get the $1 upgrade for 3 years you have to have already bought 3 years of Live Gold.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ
*$181 for 3 years of access. People seem to always overlook that to get the $1 upgrade for 3 years you have to have already bought 3 years of Live Gold.

I use Microsoft Rewards to get XBL gift cards to get my gold subscription for free. It takes like 4 minutes a day, and I do them when I'm using MSFS to fly to your mums house. Just do it consistently. I don't think there's a single person on the planet that actually paid full price for a year of Xbox Live Gold. The bolded part was a joke but I guess it wasn't funny, MrNoFunSocks.

Last edited:
People comparing Ratchet and Clank which is a full fledge game with tons of action and many things going on screen,

vs

A flight simulator where you just fly across the screen? The logic is simply amazing

758404ebc522ce0beff7f02e59fdaf47.jpg
Flight sim is a more technically impressive game than ratchet. Essentially Ratchet is a superb game but much more limited in scope to a game that is 1:1 the size of the earth with real time weather, a bunch of other real time shit and has multiple players in the same map. Don't have to down play one because you like the other more.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I use Microsoft Rewards to get XBL gift cards to get my gold subscription for free. It takes like 4 minutes a day, and I do them when I'm using MSFS to fly to your mums house. Just do it consistently. I don't think there's a single person on the planet that actually paid full price for a year of Xbox Live Gold. The bolded part was a joke but I guess it wasn't funny, MrNoFunSocks.
To your bold part, the large majority do. Most people don't know Microsoft rewards exists.

I do microsoft rewards too btw.

Oh and great work on the "your mum" joke, you sure got me....

BigLee74

But don’t forget that everybody has had to buy gold regardless for years anyway. That’s always been part and parcel of online play with Xbox. Gamepass literally did cost me £1 for 3 years. Amazing stuff.

With the quality of titles both on it currently and forthcoming, I’m beginning to believe it will even be worth the full price when I have to make that decision.

EDMIX

No technical elements are objective. Pushing graphics is a technical term. Your subjective preferences for art style bare no relevance.

Doesn't fucking matter, you could still find that concept ugly bud.

No one is debating what is technically happening, simply that people can find it ugly.

Thats it. lol

EDMIX

The thread is about graphics so yes it does matter.

Nope.

This thread is about "THE BEST LOOKING GAME MADE TO DATE"

The best, as in subjective, as in someone can fucking say the lowest polygon pixel looking game is the best looking in their opinion.

Stop crying and move on, deal with that people can like what ever the fuck they like.

Pushing polygons is irrelevant to any of this, HOW YOU FEEL about the game is the topic bud. The thread doesn't fucking say "what game is pushing da graphics and TECHINCAL eLeMenTz". =)

Nope.

This thread is about "THE BEST LOOKING GAME MADE TO DATE"
Yep, nothing about visuals, so I answered both sides in my post:

Tech: flight simulator

Visuals: subjective. (Dont like the 2007 future art style for RandC personally.)

It's ok my brother, you can still go to sleep tonight(btw graphics is more than polygons, you might want to read up.)

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yep, nothing about visuals, so I answered both sides in my post:

Tech: flight simulator

Visuals: subjective. (Dont like the 2007 future art style for RandC personally.)

It's ok my brother, you can still go to sleep tonight

Subjective, the thread title is literally about "best looking"

Stop crying over this shit lol

You can say tech till your blue in the fucking face, but someone here legit said Ori is the best looking game of all time, they are entitled to that view and even I disagreed with MANY things they stated, but I don't disagree with that it is a subjective idea and that pushing this or that in tech is irrelevant to what the thread is about. Go cry about that shit in a thread about "what game is pushing the most tech" etc.

keep in mind, I literally fucking stated this "No one is debating what is technically happening", yet you keep making it sound like THAT is the topic or THAT is what is being debated etc to push this strawman argument. Here is that good ole ignore bud, you can keep talking to yourself going forward lol

...sad.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ
Top Bottom