• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faith of Danschant: Hereafter RTX Announce Trailer – 12 Minutes of Gameplay

ManaByte

Get a first look at Faith of Danschant: Hereafter created by Beijing Joyfun. The game will feature ray-traced reflections, global illumination, shadows, and ambient occlusion, alongside NVIDIA DLSS for maximum performance and image quality. Faith of Danschant: Hereafter is based in the world of Faith of Danschant, but not directly related to the previous version of the game. The game will support multiple languages and be available on multiple platforms at launch.

Labadal

The first one was okay. It's a shame they went in a totally different direction when it comes combat, but I'll get it if player impressions are solid.

CamHostage

Never played the first Faith of Danschant, think this is the first I've ever heard of it even.

(2017, UE4 game, looks like it was a proper turn-based RPG and now this sequel/spinoff is pure Action with I assume some loot/RPG elements?)

CamHostage

I like some what I'm seeing in Hereafter.

The climbing system seems a core aspect of play (he climbs trees as traversal or as an avoidance technique to come at an enemy from on high, and also grabs pillars to stay above danger in the boss fight,) and there's also a knockback to the physics when you cut down bamboo trees. Also, I dig that the parry system appears to mostly be around kicks as opposed to sword swings, it makes less sense (although sword parries in games are always pretty bogus-looking to me...your delicate and razor-sharp katana is clanging with a battleaxe over and over and never suffers for the edge-to-edge contact?), but it looks sensible and flows through the combat animation. Also, it looks quite pretty (if a bit familiar and incomplete.)

Good luck to them on this one.

iHaunter

Chinese devs can't write stories for games. All their games are the same and rely on gimmicks.

Only recent one that comes to mind is Genshin Impact and even then it's super generic.

saintjules

Never played the first Faith of Danschant, think this is the first I've ever heard of it even.

(2017, UE4 game, looks like it was a proper turn-based RPG and now this sequel/spinoff is pure Action with I assume some loot/RPG elements?)

That looks interesting it being turn-based. Risky to make a sequel something else genre wise a bit. Reminds me of Persona 5/P5S

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Animations not sure about. The dialog... "I will turn you to mush", eh? Must tree lady talk. Looks fun though, the tree running is cool.

catvonpee

I'm getting Ninja Gaiden Black vibes from certain aspects of the gameplay. This has jumped to probably my most anticipated game now.

I think this is a great step forward for games development in China.

You can see that the games industry there is playing catch up by following the steps of familiar territory that current modern western games have stepped away from quite widely.

They're game designs are much like the Devil May Cry, God of War 2, and games from that era in which you're moving from what story beat to another with enemies to fight within specific areas, with some even blocking your path until all enemies are eliminated. It's a little archaic compared to AAA games we've had in recent times, but it's a great way for them to slowly build up to where modern gaming is.

What excites me is how they infuse their cultural heritage into their games. If Japanese culture in Japanese games excite you, the thought of Chinese culture in their own AA-AAA games should excite you as well.

If they can smoothen the transition between cutscene to gameplay instead of having a cut-to-black loading screen before resuming gameplay, they're a step further ahead.

My only irk of the gameplay video is the lack of stunning sound design. Too many things happen on screen that isn't accompanied by a sound effect to make the world feel alive. Hoping they fix that.

Sounds much better in Chinese

Lol definitely sounds a lot better. I wish they would just not waste money on English VA like Yakuza 0 and just focus on localization on subs and the likes.

Last edited:
I think this is a great step forward for games development in China.

You can see that the games industry there is playing catch up by following the steps of familiar territory that current modern western games have stepped away from quite widely.

They're game designs are much like the Devil May Cry, God of War 2, and games from that era in which you're moving from what story beat to another with enemies to fight within specific areas, with some even blocking your path until all enemies are eliminated. It's a little archaic compared to AAA games we've had in recent times, but it's a great way for them to slowly build up to where modern gaming is.

What excites me is how they infuse their cultural heritage into their games. If Japanese culture in Japanese games excite you, the thought of Chinese culture in their own AA-AAA games should excite you as well.

If they can smoothen the transition between cutscene to gameplay instead of having a cut-to-black loading screen before resuming gameplay, they're a step further ahead.

My only irk of the gameplay video is the lack of stunning sound design. Too many things happen on screen that isn't accompanied by a sound effect to make the world feel alive. Hoping they fix that.

Lol definitely sounds a lot better. I wish they would just not waste money on English VA like Yakuza 0 and just focus on localization on subs and the likes.
The English is so corny, I don't even want the subtitles. Rather not understand and make up my own dialogues in my head. Lol

Techies

With Naraka Bladepoint, you have the option to choose Japanese voices. I think that would be the way to go for western audiences. Chinese game with Japanese voices and English subtitles.
Bit weird, but it works.

They also made Swords and Legends online and those english voices are bloody awful 90% of the time and mostly on the lead characters.

Last edited:

Techies

Wonder what the scope will be this time around. Gujian 3 had an incredible amount of content/voice lines/cutscenes. It basically took me the same amount of time to complete as the Witcher 3.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Looks great for a 2017 game.

Top Bottom