• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fakest demos vs actual games ever?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Another example of studios way over estimating the specs of the ps4 and xbox one when they began developing some of those games
This wasn't really so much a spec thing - the asset production for the game barely begun when demo was shown (there was no city at the time - it's literally just a few building facades masquerading with the carefully controlled camera angles, etc.). Likewise almost all the gameplay was scripted sequences for the demo.
But it is also true that the game was originally meant to be PC Exclusive until Ubi realized they could make all the money instead of just some, so consoles came into picture really late tech-wise.

OCASM

Banned

Cyberpunk is not even in the same ballpark as killzone 2

Smoke and fire effects still looks better than most modern games out there.

Even Kojima got fooled by that:

These were apparently concept trailers never meant to be seen by the public. Somebody in Sony marketing just threw them into the E3 reel. Sony really fucked with its devs that E3
Yep. Guerilla talked about this a few years ago:

Guerrilla Executive Producer Angie Smets describes the explosive, combat-filled sequence to Noclip as an "internal vision video about what first-person games could look like for the next generation." Part of the reason this video was "meant for internal use only," Smets tells Noclip, is that the shooter sequel was originally intended to launch on the weaker PlayStation 2.

Cut to a few months later, however, and former PlayStation executive Ken Kutaragi took the 2005 E3 stage to wow the crowd with teases of what to expect on the PlayStation 3 console. "We asked developers to submit content to be shown today," he told that E3 keynote crowd, and the sizzle reel that followed included Guerrilla's "internal vision" video. Guerrilla wasn't expecting it.

Smets recalls watching the video in Amsterdam via an Internet feed and hearing a PlayStation rep describe the Killzone footage as "running in real time on a PlayStation 3." "We were watching this back home, going, 'No!'" Smets says. "What did he just say? It's not true! Then we figured, nobody will believe that, because it's obvious that it's all [pre]-rendered. Then we went online, and we found that lots of people believed it."

That was impossible, Smets points out, because the first PlayStation 3 kit had "just arrived" at the time of the E3 presentation. "I'm not sure if we had the first triangle rendering [running on PlayStation 3] yet!" she adds.

At 0:40 a few seconds of in-game footage dude. The game looked like that in-game.
The camera angle makes it look like gameplay but no, it's pure CGI.

Was killzone 2 even that bullshit in the end? I remember people saying it really got close.
Even a PS5 would have trouble with it.

Sorry I have a problem with thay cyberpunk comparison

Gamers today man lol
Every quest was in that 50 min demo was actually in the game and looked like that 95% minus the wall climbing ability.

Its literally the same as the half life 2 demo in 2003, that showed you can summon ant lions through windows. or the bioshock hunting big daddy demo where they had teleportation.

But clearly OP isnt nerdy enough to remember such things lol or too young.

That cyberpunk hate man...imo sparked off by alot of people who dont know shit about games. By kids who ignored the numerous "this is an rpg" statement by an RPG dev, and think it was supposed to be GTA.

Sigh gaming going mainstream was the worst to happen to it.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
There are no mods there for crowd. Just some reshade.
AI in Cyberpunks is more crud than open world games from the early 2000's

I'm sorry my friends

Suuuuure the density is way lessers but thats nots the bigg problems they lied and said day and nights cycles when the npcs are walking glitches that doos nothing

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
AI in Cyberpunks is more crud than open world games from the early 2000's

I'm sorry my friends

Suuuuure the density is way lessers but thats nots the bigg problems they lied and said day and nights cycles when the npcs are walking glitches that doos nothing
Your video shows nothing about AI in "expectations".

TMONSTER

Remember when Peter Molyneux introduced Fable? It promised a level of choice and consequence that, while impressive for the time, didn't quite live up to the hype. Still a good game, but the demo painted a more ambitious picture.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Your video shows nothing about AI in "expectations".
The guys in the video said everyone lives on a days and nights cycle the most believables open world city ever

What is day cycle? To glitch up the street? There is noooooooo cycle but lies

I boughts a new rig for this crud

say I think I gots ripped off

Banned
MGS2 E3 trailer vs the real game where you play as Raiden instead of Snake.

Based Kojima
Man Body GIF

Banned
wasn't the AI in both the gameplay trailers for TLOU 1 and TLOU 2 completely fake?

where the enemies did some super natural looking stuff, acting really clever, flanking etc. and in the final game, especially in TLOU1, the actual AI is dumber than the fungus on a rotten piece of bread?

Last edited:

simpatico

Every fucking fake multiplayer chat banter from ubicrap.

Just fuck …

I don't see anything in this you couldn't achieve in game if you had cool enough friends.

The GOAT cocktease for was Alan Wake. Hopefully part 2 delivers the original promise. What we got played like what I expect a tacked on hallway shooter mode would be to the original trailers.

Last edited:

CamHostage

They specifically claimed it was recorded from PS3 hardware. Which I think it was, albeit at like 2 fps and then played back at 30fps.

"They" actually did not claim Killzone 2 was recorded from PS3 hardware. It wasn't great what did happen, but the history is different than the common legend.

We've traced this before in NeoGAF, but the "It's definitely real" comes from a G4TV Geoff Keighley interview with Jack Tretton (before he was the big boss... I'm kind of not sure why they put him out there to talk other than to groom him for potential bigger things in the future. ) He was talking about Resistance and Keighley changes the subject but Jack kind of minces and talks more about Ted (as in Ted Price of Insomniac) before falling back into his corporate speech. (Tretton was either the head of Merchandising or Markering at that time, i don't remember which at the time. ) Now, was Tretton talking about ALL the game demos shown being real, or was he just spouting talking points he wasn't really cleared for? (Was Tretton in a position at that time to know about any SCE products being developed outside America age years away from a marketing campaign?) You can hear it either way (and be just as angry about the misinformation either way. )

Whatever Tretton said to G4 though, the actual game developers at Gurreilla told the press that same week that it was a representative trailer, "it's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make." Other words from Guerrilla (i can't track down the link) further clarified that it was done with a CG studio, so not exactly calling it fake but still helping to make it known that it was not "definitely real" on PS3.

And yet, the debate raged on afterwards until the game finally showed itself. After, none of the clarity/cleanup efforts of the story survived. And from Sony's side, they never said anything until the next GDC and E3, when it became more obvious than ever that the PS3 unveiling was a wish in the clouds...

Last edited:
Top of my head:

Killzone 2 (weird case where final game is far better in some areas and far weaker in others)

Witcher 3

Spider-Man 2

Watch Dogs

Cyberpunk 2077

Halo 2 (god bless them though if you know the behind the scenes)
You forgot a resent one....the biggest fake trailer that even tops the Kilzonetrailer, Halo Infinite trailer with a world full of life, that tops almost everything...

mxbison

Always funny to see same potato version of Cyberpunk in these threads while it's easily in the Top 3 of best looking games right now.

(Obviously doesn't excuse releasing those potato versions and all the other broken stuff in the game)

FUBARx89

Fuck you Bonnie Ross. Fuck you so much. You ruined a franchise I cared so much about and you got a fucking industry award in return.

Pfffft. Halo's decline started with Halo 4. Let's not pin it on just Infinite.

At least I had the will to complete Infinite campaign. It took until this year for me to actually bother finishing 4.

Umbasaborne

Banned

At least I had the will to complete Infinite campaign. It took until this year for me to actually bother finishing 4.
Ill play 4 any day, it was a way more interesting game to me. Its actually one of my favorite stories in halo. Jen taylor and steve dow fucking killed it in that game. No 343 halo story was ever that good again, and it got so bad in 5 that they go out of their way to sweep the plot set up by those games under the rug in infinite. Fucking embarrassing train wreck of a studio

Last edited:
I can deal with visual downgrades, it's kinda expected to see studios trying to wow audiences with visual fluff. As I get older, it doesn't bother me as such.

However,

When you start sending out fake gameplay demos that does not reflect the experience of the final product is what truly grinds my gears.
I'm of course am talking about the legendary TLOU gameplay trailer that obviously does not play the way it was shown. The blending of combat to engagement is something reserved only to scripted events with QTE's being the closest ever to having an interactive "cinematic" experience. But this.. still pisses me off till this day!

Vick

I can deal with visual downgrades, it's kinda expected to see studios trying to wow audiences with visual fluff. As I get older, it doesn't bother me as such.

However,

When you start sending out fake gameplay demos that does not reflect the experience of the final product is what truly grinds my gears.
I'm of course am talking about the legendary TLOU gameplay trailer that obviously does not play the way it was shown. The blending of combat to engagement is something reserved only to scripted events with QTE's being the closest ever to having an interactive "cinematic" experience. But this.. still pisses me off till this day!

Everything you see in this video, with the exception of enemies searching for loot, was in the final game on PS3 though?

Ellie throws bricks on enemies (which was the most "it's scripted!" moment at the time), she can randomly jump on their back while you're fighting them, enemies hear the empty gun sound and react accordingly, they beg for their life once defeated, you can grab stunned enemies and use them as shield..

I've had far more "cinematic moments" in the final game over the years, especially on Grounded, than what is shown in this video.

Dane

"They" actually did not claim Killzone 2 was recorded from PS3 hardware. It wasn't great what did happen, but the history is different than the common legend.

We've traced this before in NeoGAF, but the "It's definitely real" comes from a G4TV Geoff Keighley interview with Jack Tretton (before he was the big boss... I'm kind of not sure why they put him out there to talk other than to groom him for potential bigger things in the future. ) He was talking about Resistance and Keighley changes the subject but Jack kind of minces and talks more about Ted (as in Ted Price of Insomniac) before falling back into his corporate speech. (Tretton was either the head of Merchandising or Markering at that time, i don't remember which at the time. ) Now, was Tretton talking about ALL the game demos shown being real, or was he just spouting talking points he wasn't really cleared for? (Was Tretton in a position at that time to know about any SCE products being developed outside America age years away from a marketing campaign?) You can hear it either way (and be just as angry about the misinformation either way. )

Whatever Tretton said to G4 though, the actual game developers at Gurreilla told the press that same week that it was a representative trailer, "it's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make." Other words from Guerrilla (i can't track down the link) further clarified that it was done with a CG studio, so not exactly calling it fake but still helping to make it known that it was not "definitely real" on PS3.

And yet, the debate raged on afterwards until the game finally showed itself. After, none of the clarity/cleanup efforts of the story survived. And from Sony's side, they never said anything until the next GDC and E3, when it became more obvious than ever that the PS3 unveiling was a wish in the clouds...

Now I see, it was a very hi poly models on the CG trailer, the final game was improved upon the E3 2007 demo that was real time.

And yes, it makes sense because the earliest proto kit for PS3 was made in the end of 2004, and Guerilla got the later revision that was still far away from the final hardware, the Cytology kit, because Sony was kinda late at their deadlines because of last minutes changes. Developers also made launch window games almost entirely on near final kits until the last minute with any console.

VAVA Mk2

343i ruined the franchise since day 1. Just giving this example here as it was a 100% letdown from what impressions we were given from the trailer. It wasn't even the actual engine. They lied.

Everything you see in this video, with the exception of enemies searching for loot, was in the final game on PS3 though?

Ellie throws bricks on enemies (which was the most "it's scripted!" moment at the time), she can randomly jump on their back while you're fighting them, enemies hear the empty gun sound and react accordingly, they beg for their life once defeated, you can grab stunned enemies and use them as shield..

I've had far more "cinematic moments" in the final game over the years, especially on Grounded, than what is shown in this video.
That was a complete misreading, and clearly your idea of "cinematic" doesn't match up with the video if all takes is "a bunch of stuff that ended in the final game". I explicitly mentioned to "blend combat and engagement based on the video."

Sure, you can memorize all the Street Fighter moves but can you blend them all together like a real pro player would? But this video shows that you can't do it back to back, even with all the mechanics available in the final product.

Second, you better watch that video again, especially at the last part, where does the enemy appear, tries to wrestle your weapon to the floor while choking you out in while Ellie Stabs from behind? I have not seen this in the numerous times I've played the game even at the Grounded setting.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Nothing today compares with the PS3 (and to a lesser extent Xbox 360 with things like Madden) era of Bullshots/ bullshit trailers.

If you weren't around then, you should understand that the trailers for all those PS3 games shown in 2005, whether its Killzone 2, Motorstorm, Eight Days, Killing Day, The Getaway 3 etc. etc. were all presented as if they were real gameplay, real footage, or really running on Playstation 3.

They did this primarily to make the 360, which was presenting real games in unfinished states on dual core Macs at that E3 and launching that same year, look generationally behind from a technology perspective and encourage consumers to wait for the Ps3 that was coming in 2006.

I'd argue there has been no greater intentional deception than that 2005 era of Playstation marketing.

E-Cat

It is fake now but back then.... we kinda got fooled into thinking it might be real. We had no idea how much power ps3 can have.
The next gen back then was very exciting
The Sony E3 2005 press conference was one of the highlights of my life up to that point. I watched it religiously over and over again.

Then came the Sony E3 2006 press conference... that single-handedly kickstarted the #Wii60 movement. Warhawk crappy motion controls, PSP as a PS3 rear-view mirror peripheral, giant enemy crab, real-time weapon change, Afrika, microtransactions, RIIIIIDGE RACER !!!

iorek21

The Witcher 3 disappointed me a lot back in the day. 2014 demo looked so good in Novigrad and the swamp, Geralt moved A LOT better as well.

TW3 vanilla ended up looking so bland in comparison, and Geralt moves like shit even after all the patches.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Was this ever said it was gameplay? I know with Killzone 2 trailer, Sony said it was actual gameplay, but not this. This was just a CGI trailer.
This was in 2005. Back then, there was no such concept as stuff looking like gameplay wasn't gameplay. We were all young and naive. It was the onset of a new generation, how could Sony hype up their next-gen games while not having the trailers be in real-time? That would be sooo misleading, obviously they wouldn't do that.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The Sony E3 2005 press conference was one of the highlights of my life up to that point. I watched it religiously over and over again.

Then came the Sony E3 2006 press conference... that single-handedly kickstarted the #Wii60 movement. Warhawk crappy motion controls, PSP as a PS3 rear-view mirror peripheral, giant enemy crab, real-time weapon change, Afrika, microtransactions, RIIIIIDGE RACER !!!

This is what Sony needs. People on stage and less serious vibe.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I don’t get why people are so hung up on killzone 2 when the final game looked great and very comparable to the trailer

No Man's Sky was legendary. I'm not surprised more people haven't mentioned it, the devs put a lot of work to make it right. Don't give a shit tho., because that initial release and subsequent radio silence fucked them right down to chinatown.

Watch Dogs basically was hyped as the second coming of Jesus Christ thanks to that trailer. Its release ripped the veil off our eyes and behold! It was the Antichrist.

Bojji

I'll starts with Cyberpunk what a frunking let down

It should be illegals to do this

Cyberpunk looks very close to reveal video, there are cuts to crowd density of course but everything shown was in engine and there are a lot of the same assets. Final game also has RT.

Top Bottom