• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falling in Reverse (Band) - Zombified

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's a new year, and I felt like sharing a new song that just hit yesterday from the band Falling in Reverse called Zombified:

I love the messaging in this song, and for now.. it's early in 2022, but I can listen to it over and over. Hopefully you enjoy it.

Music is very subjective, and this type of music isn't for everyone, but since 2019, I've been enjoying what this band that has been around for a lot longer doing a different style of music has been putting out. Their videos are like movies. They put in a ton of effort. They also deal with various topics. The band plays in and blends various genres in between songs, and these days, you never know what you're going to get.

For anyone that likes this new song, and wants to check out some other stuff, In 2019/2020 they put out some singles.
Popular Monster:

They re-imagined two older songs which had been done in pop punk style to something else entirely:
The Drug In Me Is You - Original:
The Drug In Me Is You Re-imagined:
I Am Not a Vampire - Original: ,
I Am Not a Vampire Re-vamped:

They did a trilogy of songs which deal with past/present versions of who the lead singer was, who he tried to become, and who he became. In order they are:
Losing My Mind:
Losing my Life:
Drugs:

His story is pretty interesting, and he has some decent/good older songs, so, for anyone that becomes interested, I'd recommend finding out Ronnie Radke's story.

I hope that so far, you all are having a wonderful new year, and are staying safe!

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
christian bale dancing GIF

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The deep South ruined this for me. I know it's an unfair equivalence, but everyone I've ever personally known who listens to this band was strung out on meth, and now I can't separate the music from sunken eyed redheads wearing men's pajamas and trying to manifest fortune in their garage apartment sitting Indian style between lit candles at 4 AM. Quite triggering.

LRKD

One of my fav bands!! Been listening to Ronnie forever, it was an amazing surprise seeing a new song up the other day!

Winter John

I never heard a single thing in that pop punk genre that I didn't turn off after a minute. I guess it's because I'm old and grew up with bands like The Kennedys, Crass, MDC, Subhumans, Discharge, Misfits, Black Flag, Bad Brains. Anyways, some modern punk bands I liked -

Darklor01

I never heard a single thing in that pop punk genre that I didn't turn off after a minute. I guess it's because I'm old and grew up with bands like The Kennedys, Crass, MDC, Subhumans, Discharge, Misfits, Black Flag, Bad Brains. Anyways, some modern punk bands I liked -

I won't lie, I wasn't much on the band's older sound. Not at all. I completely love the sound they have within the last few years though. For me, what they've done since 2018ish.. for me, it's on point. Definitely not for everyone though.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Listened to it again a few times at the gym, really like it. Might have to listen to some more of their newer stuff.

decisions

Personally I thought Coming Home was their best album with some legitimately good songs.

I love FIR in a sort of a joke way. They’re a fun band and Ronnie is seriously talented, but it’s also ridiculously corny and everyone else in the band writes extremely generic parts. I find the “new” style of music videos hilarious yet enjoyable. Like Losing My Life makes me laugh every time I hear it (“Are you triggered?”). And why the hell in the middle of the song is he transported into the future and for some reason extremely pissed off by this? I would be stoked! But it’s like a modern evolution of nu metal that is fun.

If Ronnie joined a “real” metal band that had good songwriters in it who shined as well he could legit be one of the best metal vocalists ever. Closest thing to this was of course DIYLF since Bryan Money wrote such great riffs.

But his ego is too big for that most likely, he wants the songs to only focus on him. Which is why Jacky Vincent didn’t get to do anything on the first two albums besides forced solos, and then went on to absolutely shred in a power metal band.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Listened to it again a few times at the gym, really like it. Might have to listen to some more of their newer stuff.
Zombified is pretty similar in structure to Popular Monster, though, there's a mix of kind of spoken word/rap mixed in on that one. The trilogy of songs is much more of a blend of heavier rap/rock with a mix of edm to it.

I find the variety / mix both refreshing and a bit of a throwback to some other bands I used to like, but.. heavier on both the rap and rock elements.

DarkestHour

Banned
Could never take this era of emo music seriously with their hair and makeup. They all look like clones. Looks like the same guy from Sleeping With Sirens.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Personally I thought Coming Home was their best album with some legitimately good songs.

I love FIR in a sort of a joke way. They’re a fun band and Ronnie is seriously talented, but it’s also ridiculously corny and everyone else in the band writes extremely generic parts. I find the “new” style of music videos hilarious yet enjoyable. Like Losing My Life makes me laugh every time I hear it (“Are you triggered?”). And why the hell in the middle of the song is he transported into the future and for some reason extremely pissed off by this? I would be stoked! But it’s like a modern evolution of nu metal that is fun.

If Ronnie joined a “real” metal band that had good songwriters in it who shined as well he could legit be one of the best metal vocalists ever. Closest thing to this was of course DIYLF since Bryan Money wrote such great riffs.

But his ego is too big for that most likely, he wants the songs to only focus on him. Which is why Jacky Vincent didn’t get to do anything on the first two albums besides forced solos, and then went on to absolutely shred in a power metal band.
So, yeah. His ego is MASSIVE and he actually is up front with that. It's part of a series of things which tie in to his mental health issues. He's both an egotist and insecure at the same time. There's a lot of in depth stuff I've read and interviews I've seen. Any band that I really start to like, I kind of dig in to the backstory. A lot of his stuff deals with mental health recently because he struggles with multiple issues, and anger issues.

In the song Losing my Life.. it's part of a trilogy of songs with a lot of metaphor and hidden stuff that only makes sense if you know his story more.
The first song is Losing My Mind. It's about the version of him that was leading up to before him going to jail. Whoever he was then, cruising along, with his issues, but.. mostly doing his thing.

Then the second song is Losing My LIfe, the version of him landing in jail and who he became during and after being released from jail. How he feels about all the things surrounding his life, perceptions of him, ..etc. Being judged.. etc. Trying to be a .. y'know what.. screw everyone.. I'm going to stop caring so much what people think kind of a mentality and battling himself with who he was before in his head. Two versions of himself.

The third song Drugs, is about killing that mixed up version from the second part of his life or song in this case and a commentary about how in American society there are many forms of drugs, literal, and societal. He also is commenting on how there's so much pressure to be this or that or successful that "The American Dream is a killing machine". There's a lot going on in what he's saying in all three songs.

A bit more background:
I'm not sure about his father, but his mother was a drug addict that was never there for him which scarred him.

Skip to much later, He was in a band Escape the Fate and wound up involved in a situation with others where someone shot someone. Ronnie goes to jail for his involvement and while in there, he gets tossed from the band. This messes with him and in jail he goes through some changes as a person.

Upon his release, he creates a new band which changes their name to Falling in Reverse which was a pop-punk band for many years. During somewhat more recent years, he started to involve more rap elements, techno, edm, and with training evolves his whiney vocal tone to what it is now.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I got into Escape The Fate when I was still knee deep in that particular scene, but it was right before I started moving onto other stuff. The guy has always rubbed me the wrong way and his music always sounds way overproduced to me.

Glad you enjoy it. All subjective.

Darklor01

I got into Escape The Fate when I was still knee deep in that particular scene, but it was right before I started moving onto other stuff. The guy has always rubbed me the wrong way and his music always sounds way overproduced to me.

Glad you enjoy it. All subjective.
Yep. Definitely hear you. I don't like much of the older stuff. He's also someone who I can easily see rubbing tons of people the wrong way. I'm pretty sure he's wronged or continues to wrong people. I can also definitely see the feelings of too over the top or overproduced, or being nu-metal metalcore being a weak form of metal..etc.

Even close friends of mine who like similar music not liking this band.

decisions

So, yeah. His ego is MASSIVE and he actually is up front with that. It's part of a series of things which tie in to his mental health issues. He's both an egotist and insecure at the same time. There's a lot of in depth stuff I've read and interviews I've seen. Any band that I really start to like, I kind of dig in to the backstory. A lot of his stuff deals with mental health recently because he struggles with multiple issues, and anger issues.

In the song Losing my Life.. it's part of a trilogy of songs with a lot of metaphor and hidden stuff that only makes sense if you know his story more.
The first song is Losing My Mind. It's about the version of him that was leading up to before him going to jail. Whoever he was then, cruising along, with his issues, but.. mostly doing his thing.

Then the second song is Losing My LIfe, the version of him landing in jail and who he became during and after being released from jail. How he feels about all the things surrounding his life, perceptions of him, ..etc. Being judged.. etc. Trying to be a .. y'know what.. screw everyone.. I'm going to stop caring so much what people think kind of a mentality and battling himself with who he was before in his head. Two versions of himself.

The third song Drugs, is about killing that mixed up version from the second part of his life or song in this case and a commentary about how in American society there are many forms of drugs, literal, and societal. He also is commenting on how there's so much pressure to be this or that or successful that "The American Dream is a killing machine". There's a lot going on in what he's saying in all three songs.

A bit more background:
I'm not sure about his father, but his mother was a drug addict that was never there for him which scarred him.

Skip to much later, He was in a band Escape the Fate and wound up involved in a situation with others where someone shot someone. Ronnie goes to jail for his involvement and while in there, he gets tossed from the band. This messes with him and in jail he goes through some changes as a person.

Upon his release, he creates a new band which changes their name to Falling in Reverse which was a pop-punk band for many years. During somewhat more recent years, he started to involve more rap elements, techno, edm, and with training evolves his whiney vocal tone to what it is now.

Not trying to be mean, but I get the meanings of the songs, and I think my previous post implied that I know what happened with him and ETF. I was listening to ETF a few years before Ronnie got out of jail when there was the battle between the two bands before they both pretty much became shit. The album was really seminal for me and opened me up to heavier music and metal in general. I think you’re giving the meanings of these songs more credit than they’re really worth. Maybe you’re young but let’s be honest these music videos and songs are on the level of Limp Bizkit in terms emotional weight. His lyrics are absolute garbage and come off as extremely cliche and fail to be clever or witty in any way. If you view the band as simple fun then I think they’re fine, but if I try to take their songs seriously then they just get in the way and are quite laughable. IMO the lyrics on DIYLF are much better than what we writes now. For instance The Day I Left the Womb has simple lyrics that really hit you in the chest. Lyrics are the least important part of music for me though.

Just my opinion of course. Obviously the new songs are super popular.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Not trying to be mean, but I get the meanings of the songs, and I think my previous post implied that I know what happened with him and ETF. I was listening to ETF a few years before Ronnie got out of jail when there was the battle between the two bands before they both pretty much became shit. The album was really seminal for me and opened me up to heavier music and metal in general. I think you’re giving the meanings of these songs more credit than they’re really worth. Maybe you’re young but let’s be honest these music videos and songs are on the level of Limp Bizkit in terms emotional weight. His lyrics are absolute garbage and come off as extremely cliche and fail to be clever or witty in any way. If you view the band as simple fun then I think they’re fine, but if I try to take their songs seriously then they just get in the way and are quite laughable. IMO the lyrics on DIYLF are much better than what we writes now. For instance The Day I Left the Womb has simple lyrics that really hit you in the chest. Lyrics are the least important part of music for me though.

Just my opinion of course. Obviously the new songs are super popular.
OK, I did misunderstand the implication that you knew all that history. Sorry about that. Personally, I don't have the same impression of the band or the songs that you do, and that's OK. I'm far from young at 45 years old though. My stance on things are just different than yours is all, and I respect that. I find the meaning in lyrics extremely important, and you don't. I find the lyrics well written or poignant and you don't, and that's OK. If we all were the same, there wouldn't be discussions or the ability to grow as people, or to accept the differences between us and be able to continue friendships anyway.

decisions

OK, I did misunderstand the implication that you knew all that history. Sorry about that. Personally, I don't have the same impression of the band or the songs that you do, and that's OK. I'm far from young at 45 years old though. My stance on things are just different than yours is all, and I respect that. I find the meaning in lyrics extremely important, and you don't. I find the lyrics well written or poignant and you don't, and that's OK. If we all were the same, there wouldn't be discussions or the ability to grow as people, or to accept the differences between us and be able to continue friendships anyway.
Well said and fair enough!

nillapuddin

Im so bummed that I missed their live stream concert last year and I check all the time to see if they ever put it up for VOD purchase :(

Darklor01

Listen to Turnstile OP, not this weak shit.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked some of their stuff but I wasn’t feeling it. Mostly don’t like the lead singers voice or style.

I do appreciate it for real despite the instant what you like is weak shit throw in.

Top Bottom