• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 Video Shows Content That Was Cut from the Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a series dubbed "Fallout 3: The Cutting Room Floor," YouTube channel TriangleCity is going through different aspects of the game detailing interesting cut content from Fallout 3. Previous Fallout 3 videos from the content creator include "GURPS in Fallout 3?!," "Fallout 3 Cut Weapons," and "More Fallout 3 Cut Content." Their latest video is perhaps TriangleCity's most interesting entry in the series yet, as it's an hour-long delve into cut content from Fallout 3's main storyline broken into several different key sections.

The first key area of the game that saw massive reworking is the opening sequence, starting with the Fallout 3 player's birthday party. The video details further details regarding the player's father, different paths to escape the Vault, and rebooting several generators in order to open the Vault door. TriangleCity theorizes that this entire chapter was streamlined and changed to focus on a faster-paced, action-focused experience.

Other areas of focus in the video include Rivet City, Vault 112's Tranquility Lane, the fate of the player's father, The Citadel, Little Lamplight, Vault 87, Oasis, Liberty Prime, Project Impurity, the Pipboy, and Fallout 3's endings. Suffice to say, Bethesda cut a lot of different story elements from the main quest line, including some things that could have dramatically changed the experience, for better or worse.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why Microsoft can't see fit to remaster this and New Vegas is fucking beyond me. Hell, hire some of these modders who have already ported parts of the game to the Fallout 4 engine. Take advantage of that Bethesda acquisition.

The success of the Mass Effect Legendary Edition proved there is a market to replay older games with a fresh coat of paint and some QoL improvements.

Yes, I know it's BC and don't waste resources. BLAH. BLAH. I don't care

If they can spend money to delay every single fucking major release, they can spend a few $$$ to remaster these with full 4K/120

Last edited:
Why Microsoft can't see fit to remaster this and New Vegas is fucking beyond me. Hell, hire some of these modders who have already ported parts of the game to the Fallout 4 engine. Take advantage of that Bethesda acquisition.

The success of the Mass Effect Legendary Edition proved there is a market to replay older games with a fresh coat of paint and some QoL improvements.

Yes, I know it's BC and don't waste resources. BLAH. BLAH. I don't care

If they can spend money to delay every single fucking major release, they can spend a few $$$ to remaster these with full 4K/120
I know it wouldn’t be easy persay but would it be a huge time/money sink to remake the whole game in Unreal? It seems like the scope of the game is small for a 2022 game so I don’t see why they don’t just outsource a studio to make it like Sony used to sue with blue point. A FO3 or NV remaster would be big enough to conver a quarter itself.

Kagey K

Banned
I know it wouldn’t be easy persay but would it be a huge time/money sink to remake the whole game in Unreal? It seems like the scope of the game is small for a 2022 game so I don’t see why they don’t just outsource a studio to make it like Sony used to sue with blue point. A FO3 or NV remaster would be big enough to conver a quarter itself.
I thought people wanted new games and new IP.

It's a dammed if you do, damned if you don't conundrum. The FPS boosts to those games makes them feel much better than the original releases, but more coukd be done.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I thought people wanted new games and new IP.

It's a dammed if you do, damned if you don't conundrum. The FPS boosts to those games makes them feel much better than the original releases, but more coukd be done.
People do want these things, but holy fuck has MS dropped the ball with actually getting product out. Game development is not easy, and yes delays are often necessary, but when it becomes a common theme you seriously start to ask if the people overseeing game development are the right guys to oversee.

If you don't have a new big release re-release something big to tide people over. Fallout 3 and NV are such obvious candidates.
Its crazy how much better Sony is at making sure they have a major release at various points in the year. I have ZERO interest in the Last of Us Part 1 remake for $70, especially when the original looks and works just fine on my PS5 but at least Sony has a big time release coming for the fall and then possibly God of War.

Port Fallout 3 and NV over to the new engine. Re-release it with some new bells and whistles/QoL improvements etc. Add in some of the more popular mods.

Laptop1991

i loved the game, so any cut content i would of preferred in the game obviously, all of Bethesda games had this Skyrim/New Vegas etc.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm glad Bethesda hasn't bothered to waste time remastering/remaking perfectly playable and improved Fallout games prettier for graphic whores. The only BGS game that needs to be redone is TES Morrowind. Modernize and make it more user friendly and I would buy that in a heartbeat.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wonder how much of this could be restored through mods.

Shit takes time. Bethesda has their hands full right now.
Who say's Bethesda has to be the ones to do it? In fact, I wouldn't want Bethesda to be the ones to do it. Pass it off to a smaller studio to gain experience....so we can get another Halo MCC type collection..

Oh wait...do I really want that? :p

For real though, these are the kinds of projects that can give smaller studios an opportunity to get their feat wet.

Who say's Bethesda has to be the ones to do it? In fact, I wouldn't want Bethesda to be the ones to do it. Pass it off to a smaller studio to gain experience....so we can get another Halo MCC type collection..

Oh wait...do I really want that? :p

For real though, these are the kinds of projects that can give smaller studios an opportunity to get their feat wet.
True, but even setting up partnerships and starting up a project with IP from someone else's studio like that take time. Plus we all know what happens when something way early in development gets announced, chances are we don't hear from it again for good long years, if ever at all. Not sure I want that. I do like the idea of smaller/newer studios getting a shot to prove themselves, that's never a bad thing.

For all we know what you want could already be happening behind the scenes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
True, but even setting up partnerships and starting up a project with IP from someone else's studio like that take time. Plus we all know what happens when something way early in development gets announced, chances are we don't hear from it again for good long years, if ever at all. Not sure I want that. I do like the idea of smaller/newer studios getting a shot to prove themselves, that's never a bad thing.

For all we know what you want could already be happening behind the scenes.
The fact that they have re-released Skyrim so many times, gives me hope. The fact that they haven't re-released a Fallout game takes it away....sigh

deafmedal

I'm glad Bethesda hasn't bothered to waste time remastering/remaking perfectly playable and improved Fallout games prettier for graphic whores. The only BGS game that needs to be redone is TES Morrowind. Modernize and make it more user friendly and I would buy that in a heartbeat.
as a console gamer i would love a remaster of FONV, shit is kinda unplayable on console, esp PS3.
i do wonder if the PS Extra version is any better

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
as a console gamer i would love a remaster of FONV, shit is kinda unplayable on console, esp PS3.
i do wonder if the PS Extra version is any better
I played FO:NV again recently and it is great on the Series X. Long loading & fast travel times are almost nonexistent, the game is so much smoother and most of the bugs that were present at launch have been eliminated.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A recent video features some of the team from Bethesda, including Director Todd Howard, and it's revealed that the studio was fully intending to insert the government building into Fallout 3. During development, the team got to work on reimagining what structures — like the Jefferson Memorial, which serves as the main story's hook, and the Capitol — would look like when ruined by a nuclear blast. However, it turns out the developer ran out of time. Unable to create the White House, the team decided to turn it into a large hole in the ground instead, adding that it's probably one of the first buildings that would have been attacked anyway.

EDMIX

I know they are doing some update with Fallout 4 for next gen for that 25th anniversary thing, but I wonder if they have some remake planned for Fallout 3 or NV as to why they've been talking about those games.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent video uploaded to the Alternative Gaming Channel, some cut content from Fallout 4 has been displayed, giving an overview of just how much didn't make it into the 2015 release. Among other things, there's some dialogue that didn't make it in, including a sarcastic response players could choose when confronting the synth during the recovery mission at Libertalia. There are also some cut characters from Vault 118, including some Mr. Handy robots, and there was even the possibility the Institute could have revived the player's partner and bring them back as a synth.

On top of that, there's also some footage of an enormous 300-foot ghoul which looks as though it would have been found at the Glowing Sea. Sadly, it had to be cut due to technical difficulties, according to the narrator. The Fallout games are known for their ghouls, and while there are some friendly ghoul NPCs, there are also the feral types that attack. However, having a gigantic one in the game would have been many magnitudes more terrifying, probably more so than any Deathclaw.

Thanks mods for the title change

Taylor Swift Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Top Bottom