• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - A Nuclear Disappointment

Busty

Banned
Seeing what a friend of mine had to experience with the latter stages of Skyrim on the PS3 has completely turned me off the Fallout and Elder Scroll, etc series as a whole.

I keep an eye on every upcoming (open world RPG) release from Bethesda to see if anything has changed and it becomes apparent, very quickly, that it has not and will not.

It's shocking from a consumer point of view that these poorly constructed products keep getting fired out from a publisher that clearly has no qualms about having its audience swallow up defective game after defective game.

kencey

Agree with everything you said OP.
I didn't even finish the game, i have no lust to continue honestly... maybe in a year with more mods.

I just hope they don't fuck it up with their next game (TESVI)

Olli128

I liked it but it did have some really terrible writing, the second half of the story felt super rushed and unfinished, same with fallout 3. Worse than mass effect 3s ending by some margin.

Adry9

Yeah cause sales and the business side of the industry is never discussed on here right?

It's an RPG. It may not be a great RPG in some people's eyes and that's fair enough, but it is an RPG. And it's the biggest RPG there is right now.

Ah true. Brb changing my GOTY list to put Candy Crush on the top. Yes, I know Candy Crush is not even from 2015 but man, it made SO MUCH MONEY! Biggest strategy game out there! We should talk more about it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I don't understand why the people who loved Fallout 3 are suddenly so disappointed with Fallout 4. The two are similarly haphazardly put together games.

Fallout 4 has major system overhauls that are very different than FO3/NV. Its easy to see why people might not like that.

Auctopus

I don't understand why the people who loved Fallout 3 are suddenly so disappointed with Fallout 4. The two are similarly haphazardly put together games.

All the complaints that Fallout 4 receives are the same negatives I would've applied to Fallout 3. I don't understand why people were rudely surprised by a shallow RPG with muddy graphics.

danowat

Banned
I think if you break the game down into it's constituent parts and judge those on an individual basis, then you could argue it's bad, because there are some issues with most of the parts.

But, as a complete package it (just about) works.

OP negated their entire argument with accusations of moneyhattings.

Now the massive rant just looks like the ramblings of a lunatic.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

All the complaints that Fallout 4 receives are the same negatives I would've applied to Fallout 3. I don't understand why people were rudely surprised by a shallow RPG with muddy graphics.
The voiced dialogue system was a problem in FO3?

I don't know if it'll have the legs Skyrim has, but I would love a serious overhaul of the game systems in mod form.
im curious to how much is even possible. It seems most the systems have been gutted so modding some things into it might not be an easy fix.

Doc_Drop

Fair points

Admittedly, rather a touch hyperbolic, especially in interiors. But you can absolutely stalk and eliminate loads of outside locations from 100+ yards/meters away, getting in closer with suppressed weapons at times, sneaking with quiet melee with others. With the addition of stealthboys and muffled/shadowed armour mods, as well as legendary sneak mods on armour. I suppose it takes a little time initially, but most of the way through I have been able to pop in a room vats several enemies, retreat, hide, engage again, mines, etc.

Tigress

We're not going to let this happen right? Multiple threads on the front page.

Sadly with fallout 4 it's accepted to have several threads saying the same thing as long as hey are complaining about it. This happens constantly (having two threads back to back complaining about it in the same day).

And I'm with the person who is complaining about people who liked 3 suddenly disliking 4. I mean I expected Bethesda to put out a game that was like 3 but better and I liked fallout 4 because I didn't have unrealistic expectations out of it. I didn't think 3 was perfect either (but enjoyable) and I thought new Vegas was a lot better. I'm not sure what people expected or why people expected them to make it like Vegas or better. It's a different developer with different goals in mind. Of course it is not going to be like Vegas.

But yes, like 3 it's a flawed game but in the end it still is very fun and that's what is important.

The voiced dialogue system was a problem in FO3?

im curious to how much is even possible. It seems most the systems have been gutted so modding some things into it might not be an easy fix.

No, instead it was largely the same bad writing and dialogue that has plagued all Bethesda games. At least in Fallout 4, it finally feels like you're having an actual conversation with a person, which is a first for Bethesda games.

The OP was very thorough in his analysis and now I'm thinking it would be best to skip Fallout 4 and hope for a Fallout: New Something from Obsidian instead. I see that lots of people still love the game but its detractors usually raise very good points.

eXistor

We got the game the trailers pretty much showed from the start: Fallout 3.5. I never expected more and I certainly didn't get more. I still enjoyed my time with it, but it's a bog-standard sequel. Honestly it felt like a giant expansion pack.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The OP was very thorough in his analysis and now I'm thinking it would be best to skip Fallout 4 and hope for a Fallout: New Something from Obsidian instead. I see that lots of people still love the game but its detractors usually raise very good points.
i seriously doubt thats ever going to happen.

No, instead it was largely the same bad writing and dialogue that has plagued all Bethesda games. At least in Fallout 4, it finally feels like you're having an actual conversation with a person, which is a first for Bethesda games.
Makes sense.

BouncyFrag

Yeah, its bad. I dumped Nick Valentines ass when he told me that one of the advantages of having him around is that he doesn't need to sleep only then to find him sleeping in my bed in Sanctuary. Freaken liar.
*smh*
What was up with the radio guy? I could go on.
I hope the next ES game will avoid what happened FO4. Fuck.

im guessing they caught a ban for being dismissive of the thread. Liking FO4 is not banworthy because plenty of others havent been banned but they have explained what they liked about it. Think about if someone made a LTTP FO4 thread praising the game and people gave a post saying "Well i hated it."

Ah ok I get it now lol, you make a good point

Yeah, its bad. I dumped Nick Valentines ass when he told me that one of the advantages of having him around is that he doesn't need to sleep only then to find him sleeping in my bed in Sanctuary. Freaken liar.

He doesn't NEED to sleep. But he still likes to!

tbd

I think there is a difference between 'didn't live up to my expectations' and 'bad'.

Did you read my post? Besthesda Game Studios' Fallout 4 was so bad, I literally questioned my life. I sat there and thought "What are you doing? Why?"

The thread title is extremely flattering.

Tingle

*smh*
What was up with the radio guy? I could go on.
I hope the next ES game will avoid what happened FO4. Fuck.

The radio guy could be fixed through a quest.

But I agree with you, FO4 has me worried about TES. I enjoyed FO4 for what it is, but "what it is" is a heavily flawed game which moved in the wrong direction or stagnated in almost every major way.

The dialogue wheel is obviously the biggest backward step they made, and I really hope it doesn't rear its head in TES, though I'm not sure how they could even try to handle that with Kajhit and Argonians.

Apart from him having next to no confidence and he was a shit radio DJ?

Yeah, that was supposed to cue people in that there was a related quest. He talks normally after you fix him through a quest.

Let me just say... I did enjoy Fallout in the first 10 hours of gameplay considering this is my first ever Fallout game ever!

The beginning did snatch my weave tho

tumblr_msvzz0D98s1s8ghqso1_500.gif

But 20 hours into the game im starting to feel a bit bored of the game already... Which is a shame as if the quests were better designed and more unique it would've been an amazing experience!

Hope The next Elder Scrolls turns out better than this

Coll1der

Banned
The disappointing aspect for me was the lack of variety in player build in Fallout with regards to story and character type outside of combat, in combat I think the game provides a great deal of choices.

Not sure why you call that a build. You can use any weapon without all these "builds" and it won't be ineffective. Fallout 4 doesn't have "builds", any player can do anything, the whole perk system is superficial and doesn't really change how you play the game.

Sethista

I liked it but it did have some really terrible writing, the second half of the story felt super rushed and unfinished, same with fallout 3. Worse than mass effect 3s ending by some margin.

This really worries me. I did not finish the game yet, just go done with
finding virgil in the glowing sea.

Storywise, the one thing that really dissapointed me are the factions. I really feel no connection to any faction, specially because I despise
Synths
, so that throws the
railroad
and the
institute
out.

I really enjoied the ideas behind the
minutemen
, but attaching their story to settlements was the worst idea ever. I realized I would have all these settlements to content with, so I just dropped
preston
and forgot about them. It has so much potential, but they really dropped the ball here. Its so unfortunate to have this giant place where we can have a possibility of having all these stories, but they just seemed to not really do anything with it.

I remember in fallout 3, I came across this closed factory, it had no quests related to it or anything, I was just making sure I saw it all after finishing all main quests and most side quests. I entered this factory, and lo and behold, it had multiple atomic bombs, some leaking, and one hangin upside down about to drop. I had this sense that shit, this is the most dangerous place in all of the capital wasteland, and people dont even know about it. imagine what else is out there for me to find? They delivered some moments like that, that in the 50+ hours I have in fallout 4 I didnt get yet.

Admittedly, rather a touch hyperbolic, especially in interiors. But you can absolutely stalk and eliminate loads of outside locations from 100+ yards/meters away, getting in closer with suppressed weapons at times, sneaking with quiet melee with others. With the addition of stealthboys and muffled/shadowed armour mods, as well as legendary sneak mods on armour. I suppose it takes a little time initially, but most of the way through I have been able to pop in a room vats several enemies, retreat, hide, engage again, mines, etc.

It's probably because it takes so much preparation and much less viability than, say, going heavy weapons. Which has always been a problem with Fallout in general, but when you have less options on how to deal with quests, you quickly start seeing combat more, and until you get stuff rolling, it's hard to be stealthy.

So it's possible Fallout games before had it just as bad, but the inclusion of less non-combative options made it far more glaring in the startup phase for me than before.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 & 4.

It has problems, but I still enjoy it. I think we've all come to expect the story to be poor from Bethesda. Still needs to be brought up. The character models/textures aren't great either. They implemented a lot of new systems in this game, but too many of them feel poorly implemented.

Even with all that, this is a great game and I can't wait for what the modding community do to it. That and the expansion packs.

Vaga

Technically it's a piece of shit like every other Bethesda majestic creation. Other than that F4 is mostly a borefest with fun parts here and there.

Witcher 3 can't even compete with Fallout because it's in a totally different and higher class, the masterpiece one.

Soren01

It is normal for a great game to be heavily criticized by some people, it is a trend. They want to shout their opinions, which is always valid.

Thats like the complete opposite of New Vegas. There was only one quest in the base game where you need to kill things to complete it (the quest from Ranger Jackson to kill the ants on the road). Well, two with the arena quest in The Thorn.

This is the main reason I havent bought it. I absolutely loved NV and what I loved most about it was the all the options it gave you to do quests. I think I talked/hacked/lockpiced my way out of like 90% of quests. And over that you layer the multiple factions, story threads and the endings. It could be buggy at times but honestly with the complexity of decisions ping ponging off factions and characters, it felt like it had earned the right to be buggy.

Fallout 4 sounds like a kids version of that game.

I've enjoyed the game up until the
Railrod + Coarser chip stuff
having spent a lot of time doing side quests up until this point, but my interest has rapidly waned now, and reading the OP I really cannot but agree with all of his points.

Fallout will always appear to be more than the sum of it's parts by virtue of it's setting, themes and aesthetic, but replace those with eg. generic high fantasy and what would you have? A very much B-tier RPG.

Bethesda seem to be a very lazy studio and I don't think they deserve the huge success with F4. It's very true that they are being left in the dust by other developers, but perhaps it's fair to wait and see what they do with current gen architecture because let's be honest, Fallout 4 is a last gen game, everything about it was designed in a last gen way, from the graphics to the gameplay.

Doc_Drop

It's probably because it takes so much preparation and much less viability than, say, going heavy weapons. Which has always been a problem with Fallout in general, but when you have less options on how to deal with quests, you quickly start seeing combat more, and until you get stuff rolling, it's hard to be stealthy.

So it's possible Fallout games before had it just as bad, but the inclusion of less non-combative options made it far more glaring in the startup phase for me than before.

Bolded is certainly true, and a peeve of mine on top of the others. However, you will always have issues early game, even with heavy weapons.

Not sure why you call that a build. You can use any weapon without all these "builds" and it won't be ineffective. Fallout 4 doesn't have "builds", any player can do anything, the whole perk system is superficial and doesn't really change how you play the game.

That's fine if you think that, but using stealth and smaller arms with no agility is stupid as you wont have the AP to take advantage of stealthier arms, neither would you take advantage of gun-fu without agility. You also can't take advantage of concentrated fire unless you have 10 perception, a perk which enables you to quickly eliminate targets combined with high agility. But those choices would mean you couldn't have high strength therefore you can't get too deep into armour customisation and carry much until late game. It would also likely mean that you would have a low charisma and luck, meaning you can't utilise those perk trees. If that's not different builds I don't know what to tell you

Haha at the thread merge though, I got very confused very quickly for a minute there. I get the feeling I am going to be able to enjoy the game despite it's issues unlike most people. But this has happened with me before with a number of titles that have been shit on from up high

Fonds

I thought the start was very poorly put together, as if it was an afterthought.

The first few hours of gameplay were pretty good.

Then inventory management came around and ruined the pacing of the game.

Gameplay and quests became repetitive and boring.

All said and done I didn't get more than 13 hours out of it, of which I enjoyed 6-7 at most.

I haven't played the game... actually, I never played any Fallout game, so I can't talk about its gameplay at all, but this one seems like a love it or hate it game. I see a lot of people praising it, and a lot of people bashing it too.

Also, why is this thread a graveyard? Holy shit, so many people banned in the first page Oo

Coxy100

Banned
Personally I'm loving Fallout 4. I can't compare it to the witcher as I've not played that - but I do agree with the OP in that its a step backwards. It's certainly not a huge turd / nuclear disappointment though.

Fallout 3 seemed more epic - but then it was so new and fresh whereas here I'm following fallout 3 and NV - so it will always lose a bit of spark. However I'm 20 hours in now, still yet to do a main story mission, and yet fully engrossed with the game. I disagree with most of the opinions in the OP - especially regarding settlements. Yes it wasn't explained well how it all works (although there was some) but then it's not an integral part of the game so it's not needed.

I honestly couldn't finish the game and went back to playing the Witcher 3. I made the mistake of getting super hyped for the fame because I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas. My biggest grip with the game is that what you do doesn't seem to matter at all in the over arching game. Which was also a problem in fallout 3 but New Vegas address this some what and after playing a game like the Witcher 3 where all your choices actually matter I thought I'd be getting something similar in this game. Also it just feels so very lifeless when playing it, the game has a complete lack of character. One of the biggest problem for me in the game was how absolutely no one cares about anything I do in it. All of the factions don't care if you join a different one that goes against the order and it got on my nerves. So I rage quiet and don't think I'm going back.

I'm enjoying the game, but I can't get over how royally shit the voice acting is. Easily some of the worst I've ever heard, and it seems to get worse the further I get along in the "story". Not only is the dialogue garbage (dramatic pauses - the game), but the male VA sounds like he's so fucking happy to be in the wasteland. There's a huge disconnect between the way the protag speaks, the way the NPCs talk, the state of the world, and the actions of the player. They couldn't have made it more obvious that it's a dude in a booth reading lines if they tried.

They should have just stuck to the old silent protag system because it's fucking embarrassing how much of an amateur job they've done, made even more obvious by how much better VA is done by pretty much everyone else in the industry, and has been for many years. I knew I was gonna hate it the moment I first heard that the protag is voiced.

kingkenny76

I'm really enjoying it so far, I've played it for hours (is there a way on the PS4 to check how many hours you played it?). The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of quests and crappy repeatable quests, that is a real lazy way out of writing good quests.

I actually prefer it more that the The Witcher 3 because the XP system on The Witcher 3 is completely broken. You spend an hour doing a really good quest fighting a tough battle and only get 5XP but walk around reminiscing with
Ciri
and you get 1000XP.

Top Bottom