• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 5 is coming after The Elder Scrolls VI, confirms Todd Howard.

Draugoth

Gold Member

- Fallout 5 is the next game after TES6
- TES6 is in pre-production
- Starfield has more handcrafted content than any Bethesda game -
-B New Atlantis is the biggest city Bethesda has made
- No seamless flying

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
09iRxw2.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Todd Howard has said that Starfield won't allow you to fly seamlessly from space to its 1,000 explorable planets, saying the feature is "really just not that important to the player" to justify the engineering work involved.

"People have asked, ‘Can you fly the ship straight down to the planet?’ No. We decided early in the project that the on-surface is one reality, and then when you’re in space it’s another reality."

Really Todd? Because we've had people salivating over this very prospect in all the build up to (and even after) the gameplay reveal.

So we're going to have loading screens between planets despite this being a next gen only game in 2023?

Maybe the nodding community will find a way around it eventually. One can hope.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
'Amid a huge amount of new information on Starfield from the Xbox-Bethesda showcase, likely the most-discussed detail was Todd Howard's announcement that the upcoming sci-fi RPG will include 1,000 fully explorable planets. Howard told us more about the game's approach to procedural generation, what it offers, and assured us that players can ignore them in favour of a huge amount of fully handcrafted content, if they want to.'

So, they are doing procedural for some stuff, I was wondering about this.

Interesting....

Really Todd? Because we've had people salivating over this very prospect in all the build up to (and even after) the gameplay reveal.

So we're going to have loading screens between planets despite this being a next gen only game in 2023?

As more details come out....yeah...I have no doubts it will be a good game, but ppl need to keep their expectations fully in check.....

Last edited:

You don't need to hope ill do it myself i will be the top mod creater for Starfield

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There must be a spin-off before that, right? 1/2 remake? New Vegas/3 remake? New Vegas 2?

ANYTHING?!?!?!

Last edited:
Stole this from some breakdown I saw posted elsewhere.

Procedural vs. Handcrafted: - Once they figured out a good way to just make 1 good procedural planet, it's not as hard as you think to expand that to 1000 planets. They consider the fully procedural planets to be optional. Maybe you just like the view or want to set up a base for example. - They will make it obvious which planets have handcrafted areas and which are fully procedural. - They've done more handcrafting than in any other game they've done.

Story: - Over 200,000 lines of dialogue now (last number they gave was 150,000). - Constellation is still exploring and figuring out mysteries of universe, looking for old earth artifacts. Start of the main story is uncovering artifacts of unknown origin. - Main story is a bit longer than previous games. 30-40 hours main quest. Not including factions or anything else. - Will be doing extra DLC down the line. Very excited for what modders will be able to do as well. - 4 main cities in game. New Atlantis is biggest, and biggest city they've built in any game.

Space Flight: - They're big fans of old space sims. Ship has power systems, 3 different weapon systems, engines, shields, grav drive (FTL). - Pace of the dogfighting is not twitchy. Compared it to Mech Warrior in terms of pace, systems, and power. - You can disable, board, and dock with other ships. - You can steal ships. - There is smuggling. - No you can't fly down to planet manually. You pick a point to land. Early decision they made. Chose to have a separation between surface gameplay and space gameplay.

Character Creation: - 20-ish character backgrounds to choose from. Affects dialogue and options in the game.

Plantoid

Just imagine the amount of different builds and approaches this game will offer, I just saw a reverse pickpocket poison build for Skyrim, it's INSANE

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Todd Howard has said that Starfield won't allow you to fly seamlessly from space to its 1,000 explorable planets, saying the feature is "really just not that important to the player" to justify the engineering work involved.

"People have asked, ‘Can you fly the ship straight down to the planet?’ No. We decided early in the project that the on-surface is one reality, and then when you’re in space it’s another reality."
I guess it's not like NMS or even Star Citizen after all 🤭

Major buzzkill in 2023 of space travel. That was one of ManaByte ManaByte 's most exciting feature (and mine too).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's some bullshit. Can someone explain this? They did it in Outer Wilds. Bethesda can't do it in a AAA game with an SSD? Bullshit. Okay, a bit of my hype has deflated. Was I wrong all along about Starfield.

Starfield Starfield , what's up with this no seamless flight? As Starfield's number one fan, can you explain how they managed to screw this up?
It was probably originally cross-gen in the early design phase and lots of legacy in their janky engine won't allow for it with the scope of their gameplay systems.

Seriosuly if all your hype was to land on a planet and not the story or RPG mechanics and story quests you should quit gaming lol
Oh yes, because outside of New Vegas, they're known for Pulitzer engrossing stories. Voice acting to boot! (cues awkward stares and dialogue from Oblivion and Skyrim meme videos).

Top Bottom