• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 5 is coming after The Elder Scrolls VI, confirms Todd Howard.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It’s mad to think that some of us on GAF will most likely be dead by the time Fallout 5 launches.

blazing-saddles-when.gif

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's some bullshit. Can someone explain this? They did it in Outer Wilds. Bethesda can't do it in a AAA game with an SSD? Bullshit. Okay, a bit of my hype has deflated. Was I wrong all along about Starfield.

@Starfield, what's up with this no seamless flight? As Starfield's number one fan, can you explain how they managed to screw this up?

You manually landing and taking off isn't more important than the on foot experience of being on a planet or the experience of being in space. I much prefer they focus their efforts on making those two experiences as high quality as they can make it while ignoring the in between part of it. According to Todd Howard it was a choice made to focus on the quality of the experience of both.

It was probably originally cross-gen in the early design phase and lots of legacy in their janky engine won't allow for it with the scope of their gameplay systems.

Oh yes, because outside of New Vegas, they're known for Pulitzer engrossing stories. Voice acting to boot! (cues awkward stares and dialogue from Oblivion and Skyrim meme videos).
They are known worldwide for the great Massive Open world they built and RPG mechanics & quest design
That why their games sales 20 million plus

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are known worldwide for the great Massive Open world they built and RPG mechanics & quest design
That why their games sales 20 million plus
And expecting a staple feature last gen games do in a space game to feel like you are actually in a massive universe of RPG IMMERSION, is not too much to ask. It does not have to be "one or the other"...

Yet here we are, Destiny load screens.

That's okay, they will rely on their mod community to sort this shit out.
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

Last edited:
Really? That's what you were hyped about? Not the actual on planet activities or the actual in space activities? It was just about taking off into space seamlessly and landing seamlessly?
That person has probably never play a Bethesda game ever and is just trolling
Cause i refuse to believe anyone can actually be that dense

TBiddy

Really? That's what you were hyped about? Not the actual on planet activities or the actual in space activities? It was just about taking off into space seamlessly and landing seamlessly?

I honestly do not understand the craving for landing the ship on your own. But each to their own.

cormack12

Gold Member
You see that date? You can wait for it.

I imagine it may be like fallen order then and you can choose orbit or planetside.

Looks like they are banking on Starfield being as popular as Skyrim with the sane longevity. Still a way off anyway

Lognor

Banned
You manually landing and taking off isn't more important than the on foot experience of being on a planet or the experience of being in space. I much prefer they focus their efforts on making those two experiences as high quality as they can make it while ignoring the in between part of it. According to Todd Howard it was a choice made to focus on the quality of the experience of both.
It's designed for a current gen console with an SSD. There is no reason we can't have both. As DeepEnigma DeepEnigma pointed out though, it may be limitations with their current engine.

I was picturing an epic space battle where I damage my enemy's ship who is forced to land on the surface. I follow them down to the surface which leads to a shoot out on foot. All seamless from space to the surface without any loading screens. Those are the types of things we should be able to do on a current gen console. It shouldn't be an either/or situation.

Wasn't this supposed to be one of the advantages of an SSD? No loading screens, no transitions to hide loading? But we're still getting that here. And that battle I described will not be as dynamic. If it does exist in the game it will likely need to be scripted. The enemy can't just land anywhere. It'll be a very specific mark where it needs to land. Takes away from the whole experience. I'm bummed.

I am expecting elder scrolls 6 at the very very end of current gen(2026), and fallout 4 mid next gen (2031). I am being optomistic. Microsoft will have probably spun off bethesda as independant by then anyway 💀😈👻

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Did Bethesda ever promise any of that? Not sure why you're invoking Cyberpunk in this context.
Did I say anything of the sort?

I’m just saying after seeing what we’ve seen and heard people should not make wild assumptions about space travel etc. before they’ve been confirmed. Seems like it will be a loading screen from on world to off world, whereas this dude had just spun a fantasy in his head.

Really Todd? Because we've had people salivating over this very prospect in all the build up to (and even after) the gameplay reveal.

So we're going to have loading screens between planets despite this being a next gen only game in 2023?

Maybe the nodding community will find a way around it eventually. One can hope.

Does that kind of soft-confirm there won't be any reentry sequences, then? I was hoping you could reenter planetary atmospheres with the ship in gameplay. Unless they are counting a planet's entire atmosphere (like ALL the layers) as the "planet", then I guess they can still have form of (albeit less seamless) planetary reentry.

Markio128

No seamless flight? So it isn’t just like NMS then. I was hoping this wasn’t the case because taking off from a planet and flying into space would really add to the immersion.

And expecting a staple feature last gen games do in a space game to feel like you are actually in a massive universe of RPG IMMERSION, is not too much to ask. It does not have to be "one or the other"...

Yet here we are, Destiny load screens.

That's okay, they will rely on their mod community to sort this shit out.
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+
Starfield will still sale 20 million plus cause no one outside of fanboys will really care about landing and taking off bro lmfao this is not that flex that you are looking for
The people that actually play Bethesda RPG's will care about it Massive Open world and RPG backgrounds traits mechanics & quest design

It's designed for a current gen console with an SSD. There is no reason we can't have both. As DeepEnigma DeepEnigma pointed out though, it may be limitations with their current engine.

I was picturing an epic space battle where I damage my enemy's ship who is forced to land on the surface. I follow them down to the surface which leads to a shoot out on foot. All seamless from space to the surface without any loading screens. Those are the types of things we should be able to do on a current gen console. It shouldn't be an either/or situation.

Wasn't this supposed to be one of the advantages of an SSD? No loading screens, no transitions to hide loading? But we're still getting that here. And that battle I described will not be as dynamic. If it does exist in the game it will likely need to be scripted. The enemy can't just land anywhere. It'll be a very specific mark where it needs to land. Takes away from the whole experience. I'm bummed.

It's not about it being technically possible or not technically possible. It's about the studio not wanting to waste time on engineering that when they can be engineering the parts of their game that matter most for this first one.

Starfield will one day, many, many years from now, get a sequel, and they may consider it then, but for right now a lot of people don't care. No Man's Sky has that, and it didn't make the experience in space or on planet any better for it. Just my take.

It's important to understand that not every game will have a need for specific features that other games have. Bethesda is making a far more complex, story, stat and attribute driven game than any of the other games that support that feature. With Anthem, Bioware nailed the feeling of playing and flying the Javelin suits, but sadly all else important to the game suffered.

Kssio_Aug

No seamless flight? So it isn’t just like NMS then. I was hoping this wasn’t the case because taking off from a planet and flying into space would really add to the immersion.
I expected it, because otherwise the scope of the game would be absolutely insane giving the fact it's a full-blown Bethesda RPG. It would have been awesome though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Starfield will still sale 20 million plus cause no one outside of fanboys will really care about landing and taking off bro lmfao this is not that flex that you are looking for
The people that actually play Bethesda RPG's will care about it Massive Open world and RPG backgrounds traits mechanics & quest design
Okay cool. It's still a fucking bummer, bro.

And don't toss fanboy out so liberally ya damned goofy bastards. Most of us on here act that fool well, you included.

Last edited:

Kiraly

Then they shouldn't have sold themselves. I'm surprised Microsoft let them make Grounded (which is quite good) but disappointed they are letting Obsidian make Pentiment. All that RPG bandwidth MSFT bought is largely going to waste.
They have a grand total of 12 people working on Pentiment. That's nothing.

And don't toss fanboy out so liberally ya damned goofy bastards. Most of us on here act that fool well, you included.
Nope i can say that i have never go into a thread to talk about landing and taking off like it game breaking and is unplayable

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
TES6 being in 'pre production' makes that logo reveal even funnier. One of the most nothing 'reveals' in game history.

Leo9

Only Star Citizen is really trying to do seamless landing in a modern, realistic game. It's a huge technical undertaking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom