• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 5 is coming after The Elder Scrolls VI, confirms Todd Howard.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Is there a youtube version of the interview?
You can right click, there should be an option for "show all controls," then you can play it at double speed.
- No seamless flying
I didn't know what you meant by this. The interview says that you don't fly into the atmosphere of a planet and land.
I have to say I don't care at all about that and don't know what benefit it would have for any player. A five second load screen to enter orbit and land is a much better use of my time as a player than the two or three minutes or whatever it would be to fly down and land. That's not meaningful content.

sendit

Pulled some released dates from my asshole based on data points gathered in the past:
Skyrim 6 in 2030
Fallout 5 in 2040

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
09iRxw2.jpg
Now, I know what you're thinking. Did he rerelease Skyrim 6 times, or only 5?

fcYqQMU.jpeg

Fredrik

I played 15 minutes or so of NMS. Thought it was terrible. Nothing but scanning shit in the first 15 minutes. Hopefully Bethesda has a better opening than that.

But seamless flight would be awesome in the scenario I outlined. Starting a battle in space and finishing it on the surface of the planet. I guess it still can be done, but it won't be the same experience, or at least not to me.

NMS and Outer Wilds both do it. There's no excuse for Starfield not to be able to do it. I wonder if this is something that can be solved by mods or if it's too complicated.
You’ve barely experienced it, that’s why you still think that’ll be awesome.

You’ll never get a convincing and awesome crash landing after a dogfight at any place on the planet where you can continue fighting on foot.

They would have to limit it or you could crash land in the middle of a city. Same goes for landing wherever you want, it just barely works in NMS because they’ve limited where you can land to flat empty spaces, and the flying near complex geometry in NMS is a jank fest too because you bump into everything.

Cool in theory, incredibly difficult to get right.

Once you start mining materials in NMS you don’t want to manually fly at all. I craft a teleporter as fast as I can and just beam myself around that way to the wanted locations instead.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
You expect a three year dev cycle for modern Bethesda?
Give me some of whatever drugs you're taking.

I do. I know it sounds like madness, but my reasons are that they've finished working on creation engine, at least some big overhaul isn't going to happen for quite some time. TES and Fallout are more established than starfield, they've been in pre-production for TES for years and as soon as they start producing it they'll be in preproduction for Fallout. They won't have to work on PlayStation versions, too. That's 3,5 years for TES and 4 for Fallout. I'm sure they'll also expand a lot.

I know it sounds as wishful thinking, and I may be wrong by a mile but that's what I hope for.

Elysion

Banned
Man, no seamless flying is a bummer. But that leaves me with a few questions:

-How exactly are we able to “land everywhere on a planet”, as Todd promised during the reveal two days ago? Do we move a cursor across the planet’s surface and press ‘A’ wherever we want, which then takes us to that exact spot? That would be kinda weird, since from space we can’t really see how that location looks like. Or are there predetermined landing spots scattered across a planet?

-Can we fly our ship on planets at all, or can we traverse them only on foot or with ground vehicles? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think we’ve seen any footage of a spaceship flying within a planet’s atmosphere (other than cutscenes), right?

-Can we really explore the entire surface of a planet (meaning if I keep walking in one direction, I could theoretically circle the planet)? Or are the planets’ surfaces divided into large, separate spaces?

I really hope this gets cleared up soon(ish). I had hoped we could just fly toward a planet, enter the atmosphere, and then fly around until we see something interesting (like an outpost or some kind of artificial structure), and then land nearby to investigate. But without seamless planetary traversal and atmospheric flight, this kind of exploration isn’t really gonna be possible.

I really hope mods will be able to overcome this. If so, I fully expect an ‘open planets’ mod to be one of the first (and most popular) things the community works on, similar to the ‘open cities’ mod in Skyrim.

Last edited:
You can right click, there should be an option for "show all controls," then you can play it at double speed.

I didn't know what you meant by this. The interview says that you don't fly into the atmosphere of a planet and land.
I have to say I don't care at all about that and don't know what benefit it would have for any player. A five second load screen to enter orbit and land is a much better use of my time as a player than the two or three minutes or whatever it would be to fly down and land. That's not meaningful content.
That's not meaningful content to you, but as evidenced by numerous posts in this thread, it is meaningful to some.

What I can't understand is why anyone gives a shit if another person's opinion on this subject differs from their own. I don't really care about seamless landing either, but obviously, some people do and they aren't wrong for feeling that way.

Microsoft did their best to avoid talking about flagship titles that are past the 12 month mark the entire show. Meanwhile, Mr. Todd officially confirms and semi-announces Fallout 5 for the year 2035. This is 6D chess marketing strats right here.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
You’ve barely experienced it, that’s why you still think that’ll be awesome.

You’ll never get a convincing and awesome crash landing after a dogfight at any place on the planet where you can continue fighting on foot.

They would have to limit it or you could crash land in the middle of a city. Same goes for landing wherever you want, it just barely works in NMS because they’ve limited where you can land to flat empty spaces, and the flying near complex geometry in NMS is a jank fest too because you bump into everything.

Cool in theory, incredibly difficult to get right.

Once you start mining materials in NMS you don’t want to manually fly at all. I craft a teleporter as fast as I can and just beam myself around that way to the wanted locations instead.
i wonder if modders will be able to do it?

DavJay

Starfield 2 after that. Now that have another franchise to cycle in every 7 years. Going to be 30 years until we see elder scrolls 7

Kacho

Gold Member
Microsoft did their best to avoid talking about flagship titles that are past the 12 month mark the entire show. Meanwhile, Mr. Todd officially confirms and semi-announces Fallout 5 for the year 2035. This is 6D chess strats right here.
In the industry they call that big dick energy. You earn that through years of delivering excellence.

Fredrik

Man, no seamless flying is a bummer. But that leaves me with a few questions:

-How exactly are we able to “land everywhere on a planet”, as Todd promised during the reveal two days ago? Do we move a cursor across the planet’s surface and press ‘A’ wherever we want, which then takes us to that exact spot? That would be kinda weird, since from space we can’t really see how that location looks like. Or are there predetermined landing spots scattered across a planet?

-Can we fly our ship on planets at all, or can we traverse them only on foot or with ground vehicles? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think we’ve seen any footage of a spaceship flying within a planet’s atmosphere (other than cutscenes), right?

-Can we really explore the entire surface of a planet (meaning if I keep walking in one direction, I could theoretically circle the planet)? Or are the planets’ surfaces divided into large, separate spaces?

I really hope this gets cleared up soon(ish). I had hoped we could just fly toward a planet, enter the atmosphere, and then fly around until we see something interesting (like an outpost or some kind of artificial structure), and then land nearby to investigate. But without seamless planetary traversal and atmospheric flight, this kind of exploration isn’t really gonna be possible.

I really hope mods will be able to overcome this. If so, I fully expect an ‘open planets’ mod to be one of the first (and most popular) things the community works on, similar to the ‘open cities’ mod in Skyrim.
Yeah I think we’ll see a cursor, and can zoom in on the planets and land on specific spots that can fit the ship. They showed a clip with a moving cursor and rotatable planet.

I don’t think we can free fly the ship over the surface of the planet. Too much complications to crash into complex city and outpost geometry. We saw them land in a perfect landing spot near an outpost, expect that until they show something else.

Seems like we can walk and traverse with jetpack over the whole planet going by some clips looking out over vast landscapes. I hope we can use a ground vehicle or hover bike or something similar for faster traversal, but I don’t expect it since they didn’t show it.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I love how they never keep their plans super secretive like every other devs. Just be transparent about what your working on. Who cares if kids complain they take to long since being announced

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's some bullshit. Can someone explain this? They did it in Outer Wilds. Bethesda can't do it in a AAA game with an SSD? Bullshit. Okay, a bit of my hype has deflated. Was I wrong all along about Starfield.

Starfield Starfield , what's up with this no seamless flight? As Starfield's number one fan, can you explain how they managed to screw this up?
Really? Seamless flight is the make it break for you. You don’t think the game has other features that might make it worth playing?

Yeah I think we’ll see a cursor, and can zoom in on the planets and land on specific spots that can fit the ship. They showed a clip with a moving cursor and rotatable planet.

I don’t think we can free fly the ship over the surface of the planet. Too much complications to crash into complex city and outpost geometry. We saw them land in a perfect landing spot near an outpost, expect that until they show something else.

Seems like we can walk and traverse with jetpack over the whole planet going by some clips looking out over vast landscapes. I hope we can use a ground vehicle or hover bike or something similar for faster traversal, but I don’t expect it since they didn’t show it.
Will need that foldable space tent and space fireplace to get through very cold nights when traveling far from the ship in search for rare materials.

Elder Scrolls 6 is a full planet in Starfield. Once you land your ship is locked, you lose all of your advanced equipment and guns, and you can't leave until you beat the game. Once you finally beat the game and leave, all skills from Elder Scrolls 6 won't work on other planets and systems due to lore reasons.

maxresdefault.jpg

Fredrik

i wonder if modders will be able to do it?
Doubtful, it’s as likely as someone modding it into Mass Effect or The Outer Worlds.

As I see it the planet surface is one gaming map, they traverse you onto that map with a cool landing cutscene.

Then the flying in space is another map, like when you’ve exited the atmosphere in No Man’s Sky, again tranfered by a cool takeoff cutscene.

Best case scenario for the space free flights is that we can actually fly from one planet to another and get into a menu and rotating planet to select landing spot.

But since it’s grounded in reality that would mean loooong flights. So I expect that free flying can only be done near the planet you’ve just exited, so you can’t fly from the ice planet to the barren planet etc, definitely not from one solar system to another since you can’t even do that in No Man’s Sky and they let you do almost everything by now.

Last edited:

fermcr

Bethesda are going to be occupied with Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI for quite some time... better let someone else do Fallout 5.

'Amid a huge amount of new information on Starfield from the Xbox-Bethesda showcase, likely the most-discussed detail was Todd Howard's announcement that the upcoming sci-fi RPG will include 1,000 fully explorable planets. Howard told us more about the game's approach to procedural generation, what it offers, and assured us that players can ignore them in favour of a huge amount of fully handcrafted content, if they want to.'

So, they are doing procedural for some stuff, I was wondering about this.

Interesting....

As more details come out....yeah...I have no doubts it will be a good game, but ppl need to keep their expectations fully in check.....
I haven't seen an exact quote from Howard saying the planets are fully explorable, I've seen a few no name sites quoting a polygon article that doesn't actually say that though. Being that you have to choose a specific spot to land and that the ship taking off is a cut scene I doubt the planets are truly "fully explorable" but rather have areas you can explore on foot. Unless they have land vehicles I don't see how exploring planets on foot forever would be much fun.

Starfield

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That's some bullshit. Can someone explain this? They did it in Outer Wilds. Bethesda can't do it in a AAA game with an SSD? Bullshit. Okay, a bit of my hype has deflated. Was I wrong all along about Starfield.

Starfield Starfield , what's up with this no seamless flight? As Starfield's number one fan, can you explain how they managed to screw this up?
Its a design choice. Like Todd Howard said, you spend so much time on everything that you may not have time for the "inbetween stuff". In fact I believe due to how "space" works and a "planet" its just not possible...or atleast they didnt have the time to figure it out. A planet is not really a planet. Its a 2D world space. Its just the illusion that you think youre on an actual round planet. They had to combine space together with that 2D worldspace somehow and therefore we get a loadscreen/cutscene.

I know in theory it sounds awesome to manually land on a planet but in a game on a scale like this...as a Star Citizen player and fan I can tell you, its not.
You really dont wanna spend 10+ mins on entering or exiting a planets/moons atmosphere.

Starfield

Fallout Apple Edition (most likely, dont see any other location they would want to go with)

Last edited:

Stuart360

I honestly do not understand the craving for landing the ship on your own. But each to their own.
Because its something the game doesnt have, so it now becomes the most important thing by the concern trollers.
Honestly i dont know where some of you get the energy for this shit, i really dont lol.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
99% procedural generation, as expected. And some people here thought it would all be handcrafted, lol.

Also very expected that their engine can't handle seamless planet entry/exit. It can't even handle seamless house entry (well, maybe it can now, I haven't played anything they've made after Skyrim).

I don't personally agree that it's not important though. To me it's a huge part of selling the space fantasy, and was always one of the coolest aspects of NMS. Taking off from a planet, pointing your nose up and blasting out of the atmosphere, flying to another planet and landing on it, all seamlessly, was so amazing the first time (and still kinda is). The game really wouldn't be the same without it. But this is a different kind of game that shares some of the same ideas I suppose. I just feel like it won't feel as "real" when surface and space gameplay are two completely separate things. Also means no flying over a planet's surface I would guess.

RGB'D

99% procedural generation, as expected. And some people here thought it would all be handcrafted, lol.

Also very expected that their engine can't handle seamless planet entry/exit. It can't even handle seamless house entry (well, maybe it can now, I haven't played anything they've made after Skyrim).

I don't personally agree that it's not important though. To me it's a huge part of selling the space fantasy, and was always one of the coolest aspects of NMS. Taking off from a planet, pointing your nose up and blasting out of the atmosphere, flying to another planet and landing on it, all seamlessly, was so amazing the first time (and still kinda is). The game really wouldn't be the same without it. But this is a different kind of game that shares some of the same ideas I suppose. I just feel like it won't feel as "real" when surface and space gameplay are two completely separate things. Also means no flying over a planet's surface I would guess.
Maybe play Elite Dangerous? That game is fantastic and can do everything you mentioned way better than NMS. But I don't want Starfield to be Elite Dangerous. I want it to be a RPG with space elements and so seeing as that, seamless entry exit are pretty minor.

Stuart360

Don’t do anything dumb. Don’t be so invested. Enjoy the talks you like and ignore the rest.
To be honest its not just the shitposting and trolling, its the fact that over the last 3 or 4 months it seems the mods just allow it, its like a free for all now.
i'm a 41yo grown ass man, and a little banter is cool, but reading this forum lately is like Chinese torture. I dont need it.

Top Bottom