• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 5 is coming after The Elder Scrolls VI, confirms Todd Howard.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe play Elite Dangerous? That game is fantastic and can do everything you mentioned way better than NMS. But I don't want Starfield to be Elite Dangerous. I want it to be a RPG with space elements and so seeing as that, seamless entry exit are pretty minor.

Does Elite have anything to actually find on the planets yet, or is it still just barren dead landscapes?

Fredrik

99% procedural generation, as expected. And some people here thought it would all be handcrafted, lol.

Also very expected that their engine can't handle seamless planet entry/exit. It can't even handle seamless house entry (well, maybe it can now, I haven't played anything they've made after Skyrim).

I don't personally agree that it's not important though. To me it's a huge part of selling the space fantasy, and was always one of the coolest aspects of NMS. Taking off from a planet, pointing your nose up and blasting out of the atmosphere, flying to another planet and landing on it, all seamlessly, was so amazing the first time (and still kinda is). The game really wouldn't be the same without it. But this is a different kind of game that shares some of the same ideas I suppose. I just feel like it won't feel as "real" when surface and space gameplay are two completely separate things. Also means no flying over a planet's surface I would guess.
How much of NMS have you played?
I make sure to craft a teleporter as fast as I can, landing and taking off was fun at first as you said but once you need to do it often it’s not fun anymore and take too long compared to just teleporting. Imagine doing it in a game more grounded in reality too. :/

Free flying over the surface has it’s benefits though since that’s the fastest way to find a cool place for your base and to locate new outposts etc.
No idea how they sort that out in Starfield. Can’t have us aimlessly strolling around on foot to search for new outposts. Maybe they’ll show possible outpost locations on a map for us to investigate.

I talked about this long ago, that Bethesda’s silence would bite them in the ass from people expectations going wild. Apparently many expected Starfield to be No Man’s Sky even though we had no hints of that at all. And every feature NMS has that isn’t in Starfield is now seen as a downgrade of sorts.
Personally though I just expected something like Mass Effect, max 10 planets or bases to land on, teleporting into planets from a space map, so I was blown away by what they showed. The NMS content (crafting, building, 1000 planets, dogfights) was just more sweet icing on the already yummy cake.

sircaw

Banned
To be honest its not just the shitposting and trolling, its the fact that over the last 3 or 4 months it seems the mods just allow it, its like a free for all now.
i'm a 41yo grown ass man, and a little banter is cool, but reading this forum lately is like Chinese torture. I dont need it.
"lollipop_disappointed:

As a grown arse shitposter ma'am,, i am saddened by this comment.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Its a design choice. Like Todd Howard said, you spend so much time on everything that you may not have time for the "inbetween stuff". In fact I believe due to how "space" works and a "planet" its just not possible...or atleast they didnt have the time to figure it out. A planet is not really a planet. Its a 2D world space. Its just the illusion that you think youre on an actual round planet. They had to combine space together with that 2D worldspace somehow and therefore we get a loadscreen/cutscene.

I know in theory it sounds awesome to manually land on a planet but in a game on a scale like this...as a Star Citizen player and fan I can tell you, its not.
You really dont wanna spend 10+ mins on entering or exiting a planets/moons atmosphere.

I'm perfectly fine with this design choice. Going by historic trends, the game is going to be a time black hole anyway, so I'd take some streamlining for landing/taking off any day.

Fredrik

To be honest its not just the shitposting and trolling, its the fact that over the last 3 or 4 months it seems the mods just allow it, its like a free for all now.
i'm a 41yo grown ass man, and a little banter is cool, but reading this forum lately is like Chinese torture. I dont need it.
I’m 46, I don’t mind the banter and you shouldn’t either. Just take it easy, it’s not torture to hear someone have a different opinion. Just talk about what you like and ignore the rest and keep the talk reasonable and people will respect you more for not going into some childish heated debate that nobody can win anyway.

In the end I think it’s cool to talk with people from all over the planet and you can always ignore the people that gets you too annoyed if your sanity is in serious danger lol

Believe me when I say there is no active other international board that is better. I was out in the cold for a couple years but EviLore let me back in again and I’m really thankful for that, every other place is just full of strange politics I don’t understand from growing up in the viking lands, or on small boards where people can be nice there is no activity.

Can't believe how much more Microsoft is paying for Activision compared to bethesda. Makes zero sense to me now. Activision games are clearly going to shit meanwhile bethesda is absolutely killing it with their RPG's and FPS's.

Stuart360

Can't believe how much more Microsoft is paying for Activision compared to bethesda. Makes zero sense to me now. Activision games are clearly going to shit meanwhile bethesda is absolutely killing it with their RPG's and FPS's.
COD, but yeah i agree with you.

Zenimax make way more games to my tastes. I would much of rather had Ubisoft at the rumoured $15bil than Activision at 70bil.

hussar16

Really Todd? Because we've had people salivating over this very prospect in all the build up to (and even after) the gameplay reveal.

So we're going to have loading screens between planets despite this being a next gen only game in 2023?

Maybe the nodding community will find a way around it eventually. One can hope.
its the creation engine ,it probably crashes each time

This guy...

XLPDjeN.jpg

Next gen type of shit indeed.

MXBiwGC.gif

Fredrik

COD, but yeah i agree with you.

Zenimax make way more games to my tastes. I would much of rather had Ubisoft at the rumoured $15bil than Activision at 70bil.
Agreed, I understand that they want the ActiBliz money but after Embracer scooped up Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider for pocket change (relatively speaking) I just don’t understand what MS is doing here and why they aren’t pulling out fast. Only thing that would make sense is if a competitor was about to acquire them instead and planned to have all games as exclusives.

Lognor

Banned
This guy...

XLPDjeN.jpg

What a troll. So shook that kojima is making his next game for Xbox he's been non stop trolling since Sunday. Sad.

And you couldn't even @ me? Scared troll. I already commented on this. Believe me, I'm disappointed and I said as much.

You are such a fanboy that you went from total hype the abandoned was a kojima game to finding out it doesn't exist and kojima is making an Xbox game. And you don't take the l. You even said you'd rather play abandoned over Kojima's xbox game. Sad little troll.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Got a feelingboth Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 will come quicker than people think. I think 4 years for ES6, and 4 years after that for Fallout 5.
I think both games will not only use the Starfield version of their engine (which they should be used to now), but they will IMO be more traditional open world one map rpg's, like the past games. They are trying a lot of new stuff with Starfield, with much more scope. I think thats inflated its dev time a bit.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Got a feelingboth Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 will come quicker than people think. I think 4 years for ES6, and 4 years after that for Fallout 5.
I think both games will not only use the Starfield version of their engine (which they should be used to now), but they will IMO be more traditional open world one map rpg's, like the past games. They are trying a lot of new stuff with Starfield, with much more scope. I think thats inflated its dev time a bit.
Thinking a game under the MS umbrella will come QUICKER than expected.....
giphy.gif

Laptop1991

Fallout 5 is too far off in the future, that goes for TES 6 as well, even though it was announced 4 years ago, it was damage limitation to distract from F76 issues they knew about, a New Vegas 2 would of been great, but Obsidian are busy, so the best i'm hoping for Fallout wise is maybe some remaster's in the next decade or how ever long it takes!.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You call that constructive criticism? looks more like the same old meme talking points used over and over again
From myself, yes. Have it as an option, it was part of the hype allure from other games already doing it.

I don’t care what others do, I’m not their daddy.

From myself, yes. Have it as an option, it was part of the hype allure from other games already doing it.

I don’t care what others do, I’m not their daddy.
Dude out of all the game Todd ever made the only real bad 1 is FO76 but he didn't even really worked on that fully
Todd is a legend in the gaming world you make it seem like the guy is a nobody or something

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude out of all the game Todd ever made the only real bad 1 is FO76 but he didn't een really worked on that fully
Todd is a legend in the gaming world you make it seem like the guy is a nobody or something
I don’t make it seem like anything. That’s your projection.

I can be disappointed about one lack there of feature. Game breaking, of course not, but would have been hype as fuck, and if it were in, everyone who claims they don’t want it, would champion it.

Bet.

I don’t make it seem like anything. That’s your projection.

I can be disappointed about one lack there of feature. Game breaking, of course not, but would have been hype as fuck, and if it were in, everyone who claims they don’t want it, would champion it.

Bet.
There are facts and there are memes lol

Yes when people in this very thread are saying things like 8, 9, 10 years etc.
Dumbass.
These games legitimately will probably take 5 years at the MINIMUM to make.

Realistically probably 6 - 7, if being optimistic.

The amount of resources needed to develop these on a next gen scale is no small task, and dev times have only continued to grow.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Not even at all unlikely Fallout 5 will take at east five years. If Elder Scrolls is still in early stages, ten years isn't even too unlikely.

"The initial plans for Fallout 4 were formed in 2009, when director Todd Howard wanted to explore the world of Fallout before the bombs fell. Thus, a team began production on the game that year, including Istvan Pely, lead artist of Fallout 3, after finishing that game's downloadable content (DLC). Meanwhile, development on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim had Bethesda's full attention, and after that game released in 2011, the studio continued to regularly support it until 2013 with updates and DLC. After that content was finished, Fallout 4 entered full production from mid-2013 to mid-2015.[12]"

Infamy v1

As more details come out....yeah...I have no doubts it will be a good game, but ppl need to keep their expectations fully in check.....

Expectations in check? Everything announced today and a few days ago blow Skyrim out of the water by FAR. I love how you tread lightly on the other site but are much more transparent here, lol (hint: it's obvious either way).

Three

Don't see the point in being able to land anywhere if it's not seamless.
It's essentially just a spawn animation for a picked point vs having to have your engine load things in and out of memory on the fly to support a seamless universe. Imagine it has loading screens too.

Last edited:

RGB'D

Does Elite have anything to actually find on the planets yet, or is it still just barren dead landscapes?
Odyssey released this year added a lot to planets (flora, mountains, etc.) and added first person planet exploration/combat . I haven't played it myself and reviews are mixed but sounds like they are still playing with the content (biggest gripe is inability to walk through spaceship from what I saw). I'm finishing my last year of grad school but looking forward to diving in once I have time.

GHG

Gold Member
What a troll. So shook that kojima is making his next game for Xbox he's been non stop trolling since Sunday. Sad.

And you couldn't even @ me? Scared troll. I already commented on this. Believe me, I'm disappointed and I said as much.

You are such a fanboy that you went from total hype the abandoned was a kojima game to finding out it doesn't exist and kojima is making an Xbox game. And you don't take the l. You even said you'd rather play abandoned over Kojima's xbox game. Sad little troll.

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

EDMIX

This guy...

XLPDjeN.jpg

We all waiting for that spin, backpaddle, reversal, denial combo.

Alot of great Starfield info during that interview. You can dock with other ships, steal other ships, and there are even space stations you can board. There is also smuggling for you Han Solos out there.

Nice, I expected a lot of that because of how its being made. I was just doubtful of some space to planet No Man Sky type thing as this game seems more conceptual, then actual in terms of the key features. Even the ship battles surprised me as I didn't really expect them to do all that, but I did expect a loading or set dock from station to planet etc to allow for those quest and things to start when you dock a station, go to another ship or planet etc. I just had some massive doubts of them giving some player agency like a whole fucking planet, land anywhere you want. I just don't know that Bethesda wants that type of game and I had a feeling it was more unlikely, then likely.

They like planned, set, ironclad type things with quest and set ups and the idea of surface to air freely might hurt, stop or prevent those experiences with another ship or crew or station or something. I'm sure some will be bummed, but I think its a great way to do this and makes sense for story telling and controlled exploration, vs some wild vast nothingness that can have you missing out on some key shit.

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma This 100%. Waterworld is such a underrated sci fi gem

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

We all waiting for that spin, backpaddle, reversal, denial combo.

Nice, I expected a lot of that because of how its being made. I was just doubtful of some space to planet No Man Sky type thing as this game seems more conceptual, then actual in terms of the key features. Even the ship battles surprised me as I didn't really expect them to do all that, but I did expect a loading or set dock from station to planet etc to allow for those quest and things to start when you dock a station, go to another ship or planet etc. I just had some massive doubts of them giving some player agency like a whole fucking planet, land anywhere you want. I just don't know that Bethesda wants that type of game and I had a feeling it was more unlikely, then likely.

They like planned, set, ironclad type things with quest and set ups and the idea of surface to air freely might hurt, stop or prevent those experiences with another ship or crew or station or something. I'm sure some will be bummed, but I think its a great way to do this and makes sense for story telling and controlled exploration, vs some wild vast nothingness that can have you missing out on some key shit.

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma This 100%. Waterworld is such a underrated sci fi gem

Howard also mentioned there will be four major cities with New Atlantis being the largest, the homebase of Constellation, and the largest city Bethesda has ever created.

EDMIX

Howard also mentioned there will be four major cities with New Atlantis being the largest, the homebase of Constellation, and the largest city Bethesda has ever created.

Hype! Their cities are epic and some of the most well crafted.

Don't even get me started on Rivet City in Fallout 3 lol Knowing its by them, makes this even more hype.

plus with how much jank is in their games, I don't want to be docking SHIT, I don't want to be landing shit (ending up clipping thru a whole ass space station and shit) lol

Last edited:
Hey everybody, did the news get around
About a guy named Butcher Pete
Oh, Pete just flew into this town
And he's choppin' up all the women's meat

Top Bottom