• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76 has reached 13.5 million players. 500k players added in the last two months. Bethesda releases game stats & celebrates 25 years of Fallout

https://gamingbolt.com/fallout-76-hits-13-5-million-players

Bethesda's post-apocalyptic multiplayer RPG has added another half a million players over the course of the last two months.​

There aren’t a lot of games out there that have a comeback story as remarkable as that of Fallout 76, which launched in a desperately broken state four years ago but has only gone from strength to strength since then. That, of course, has been reflected in how many numbers it has consistently added to its playerbase.

Bethesda has revealed that Fallout 76 has hit a total of 13.5 million players, which is up from 13 million in early October. Throughout the game’s lifetime so far, all players have collectively completed over 5 million expeditions and over 9.4 million daily ops.

2022 has, of course, been an eventful year for Fallout 76, with the game having received a number of notable updates, and Bethesda has made it clear that it doesn’t plan on slowing down the game’s support anytime soon. It was also announced in June that Sperasoft had been officially signed on as a support studio for Fallout 76’s continued development.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/dtGIfR5z2I6eNpOHRWKlO/fallout-76-2022-retrospective

FALLOUT 76: A LOOK BACK AT 2022​

Welcome back to Inside the Vault! Fallout 76 has grown significantly over the past year, with players worldwide experiencing all sort of happenings across Appalachia from travelling roadshows to extraterrestrial invasions! As the year ends, we wanted to reflect on those memorable events, updates and improvements that came to Fallout 76 in 2022. Before we begin, we want to first celebrate our community’s accomplishments using something we all enjoy: big numbers!

CELEBRATING 25 YEARS OF FALLOUT​

This wasn’t just another big year for Fallout 76 – 2022 marked the 25th anniversary of the entire franchise! In addition to a month-long celebration of the games, including a retrospective series on the franchise, we also brought the anniversary party to Fallout 76 with in-game events and promotions for fans to enjoy.

It’s been an amazing 12 months for Fallout 76 and we have you, the millions of players who have made the game their home away from home in 2022, to thank for it. We can’t wait to share with you soon what the next year brings for the game - and for those yet to emerge from their Vault, you can play Fallout 76, today on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox Game Pass and PlayStation 4. We’ll see you in Appalachia next year!

FO76_Infographic2022_EN-03.png

Talks about a come back story, a game assumed to be dead in the water with Bethesda scrambling and seemingly failing to reverse it's problems and mismanagement, to it being somewhat fixed and people playing it occasionally but expecting it to be replaced sooner than later, to signs of growth, and now a compete reversal with 13.5 million players with 500k added in the last two months along with all the stats Bethesda published in the long image above.

Got to hand it to Bethesda, they always even when it doesn't look possible or feasible, support their games for the long term to engage with the community and support growth. Congratulations. Wasn't that long ago where people though they would cut the cord, or quickly replace it once they stopped it from falling off a cliff initially.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Game is actually pretty damn fun on PC...Especially when you can edit the files for graphical improvement and unlocking the frame rate. Might just redownload this for a bit to enjoy the celebration and check out some stuff I have yet to do.

I did grind the hell out of it on Xbox when it first came out.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Live service games are weird sometimes.
They get released as shit, and have death fate on them. Then they do 180* and you get results like these.

Ozzie666

Total players. Such a deceptive marketing tactic. What exactly does that mean? It's not concurrent, it's not paid subscriptions. What exactly is it. or is it any of those things? 13M players actually loaded the game up in 2022?

Someone logs in via game pass for 5 minutes and it counts as a player? I find the number dubious at best. Having said that, the game is vastly different and did manage to save itself. Not on the same level as FFXIV V1.0 but still impressive.

Total players. Such a deceptive marketing tactic. What exactly does that mean? It's not concurrent, it's not paid subscriptions. What exactly is it. or is it any of those things? 13M players actually loaded the game up in 2022?

Someone logs in via game pass for 5 minutes and it counts as a player? I find the number dubious at best. Having said that, the game is vastly different and did manage to save itself. Not on the same level as FFXIV V1.0 but still impressive.
500k in the last months a great metric no matter how you slice it.

Thebonehead

Banned
I've spent hundreds of hours on each of the Fallout games from 2 onwards, well on all Bethesdas games really, but never had the urge for Fallout 76 because of the initial reviews.

I like the NPC and quest aspects, but that was never there in the beginning.

I should really give this another chance, but I have just been playing with the Witcher 3 again with all the new eye candy.......

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Looking at these numbers....

The expedition #, scorchebeast queen kill #... daily ops #...

Those are pretty bad aren't they? My wife plays this game and you can run into the "scorchbeast queen" multiple times a day.. she's probably killed one at least 100 times if not more.

So a bit over 2 million TOTAL times one has been killed?

That just seems really off.... even factoring in that a dozen people might be involved in each kill... very few people are actually playing the "endgame" in this game.

edit:[ Oh this is for 2022 only? That's not quite as bad as I was thinking... but still... regular players easily would have killled scorchbeasts dozens of times in 2022.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Are you forced to play with others on a map?
Never. I played on XSX for about 6 months and soloed 90% of the time. Grouped with some randoes for a couple of Events.
You can even have your own server but that costs money.

I had fun with it but got bored around level 42. Had to try it because I'm a Fallout Whore 😃

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Are you forced to play with others on a map?
There are always other people, upwards of 25, on your "map" unless you pay $99 a year for private server ability.

But the game is fun solo, w/o being in an actual "group" IMO.

But it's a game where much of the point is the "endgame" and not a linear story driven experience.. it's not really like playing Fallout 5 or something.. more like playing Destiny, w/ a Fallout style map. Really kind of in between a Destiny and a Fallout experience, as far as game design goes. (definitely a LOT more content than Destiny)

Last edited:

hlm666

Looking at these numbers....

The expedition #, scorchebeast queen kill #... daily ops #...

Those are pretty bad aren't they? My wife plays this game and you can run into the "scorchbeast queen" multiple times a day.. she's probably killed one at least 100 times if not more.

So a bit over 2 million TOTAL times one has been killed?

That just seems really off.... even factoring in that a dozen people might be involved in each kill... very few people are actually playing the "endgame" in this game.

edit:[ Oh this is for 2022 only? That's not quite as bad as I was thinking... but still... regular players easily would have killled scorchbeasts dozens of times in 2022.
It's kind of an endgame monster right? But looking at the other stats no one seems to care about the scorchbeasts, they seem more interested in dropping nukes which is kinda funny when you think about it.

Kvally

Banned

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As a big Fallout 3 fan (and even a so so F4 fan), I've got zero interest in this game even if free. By the sounds of it, if you try to solo it there's still MP gamers swarming around. It seems they can be avoided, but I got no time for that. I guess I'll have to wait for Fallout 5, which is probably a late gen game or a next gen game in 2027+.

JayK47

With the success of these online games, why bother with single player. Will we ever see another single player Elder Scrolls or Fallout game?

I'm tempted to try it now. Do you have to subscribe to play or is it a one time purchase?

Immediately accessible via Game Pass, and can purchase expansions. My understanding is that the core game now includes a whole ton of previously released content with a purchase, which might potentially translate to the Game Pass edition also. Tons of new stuff is there. I've tried it a bit. It's damn fun. Only reason I didn't dig deeper is cause I have so many other things I want to play more immediately.

Roberts

I played it solo for quite some time a year or two ago (when fps boost update dropped). I think I was around level 70. Anyway, I enjoyed the game and you can totally play it solo. Now I only wish they could make a current gen update, because the game is super ugly in 1080p or whatever res it is.

Denton

Fallout game bragging about how many nukes were dropped by players.

Tim Cain rotating in his cubicle.

That said, I enjoyed 76 after they fixed it, for its exploration. Nice looking world. But I want the IP to be given to Obsidian going forward. Make it so, MS.

Mephisto40

I'm sorry, but I don't believe those numbers for a second

The games got 7,000 current players on steam

To say they've had 500,000 new players in the past two months, that just doesn't add up, even if you add the same current player numbers for both consoles

If the numbers do add up and they are telling the truth, then the game is extremely bad at retaining players

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The hilarious thing about that infographic is how much it exposes how shallow the overall game is. Ghouls, scorched and Mutants are basically THEE enemy type in the game, so it isn't really surprising to see that. Same with the food resources: infected dogs and water are everywhere and there's little point to the buffs of better food.

That said, the game is fun, if you know what you are getting into. It is still a shit-ugly game with inexcusable performance (on consoles and PC) and a "best in class" MTX shop, but the underlying grind is not bad, and building out your "dream base" in Fallout is a fun bit of side content. . .on top of all the content that they (eventually) added to the game to make the world more lived in and actually a FO location.

. . .at the end of the day, this is another title that should have gone into EA first in some fashion using the "Return to the Wasteland" as the 1.0 launch of the game. The story of this would've been quite different (though the MTX shop being in would've likely been a source of controversey). Hopefully the unqualified success of GROUNDED inspires Bethesda and other studios to utilize this for games of this size (that really require DEEP player feedback to make sure the actual gameplay and game system are resonating).

Alebrije

Have tried the game twice but after some days I left it ..
It looks dated, the style is good but nothintg new or very different from previous games , the multiplayer element is fun but not great.
If you havent played a fallout game before 76 is not the best option to know the IP , better get New Vegas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom