• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout: New Vegas Was Originally an Expansion for Fallout 3

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new video posted to Bethesda's YouTube channel, Director Todd Howard talks about how Fallout: New Vegas came to life. Essentially, Fallout: New Vegas began as a very different project from what it turned out to be. In 2008, after Fallout 3 became a big success, Bethesda wanted to capitalize on it with another title in the series. However, the developer was hard at work on Skyrim, and so turned to Obsidian to create what was initially planned as a big expansion for Fallout 3.

When work began on Fallout: New Vegas, Howard quickly decided that it should stand out as its own game, stating he felt "really strongly" about it. There was also a lot of trust placed in Obsidian to create a great Fallout title as well. With people like Feargus Urquhart, who had previously worked on the first two Fallout games, at the helm of Obsidian, Howard felt that the series veterans could handle the creation of a new title.

EDMIX

The lolz, all that talk and yet it was this that was the real "DLC" as a sequel.

I think deep down, we all know this btw

J jaysius Agreed. I like it, but its nothing compared to Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I really don’t know why this one gets so much love, the main story quest was really shitty, the ending was decent at least, but where this went mid-late game was nothing at all special.
Better writing
Moral ambiguity
More fleshed out weapons and armor
Generally a better rpg
Deeper quests
Higher replayablity
Factions are more than "Enclave: Evil - BoS: Bastion of Light"

..at the top of my head

Oh, and what they achieved in that time frame? Amazing.

Sybrix

I can remember when that game came out, the old GameTrailers forums, so many were pitching Bethesda against Obsidian and saying how Bethesda fucked up Fallout 3 so Obsidian came in to take over for New Vegas..............lol.

I'm glad that video cleared things up, no hostility, Bethesda gave Obsidian the game to create so Bethesda could focus on Skyrim.

And for the record, Fallout 3 > New Vegas. Sorry but its true.

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
Yeah it's amazing, definitely the oddball Fallout game, but in a good way. Love all the different directions you can take with it.

Teslerum

Better writing
Moral ambiguity
More fleshed out weapons and armor
Generally a better rpg
Deeper quests
Higher replayablity
Factions are more than "Enclave: Evil - BoS: Bastion of Light"

..at the top of my head

Oh, and what they achieved in that time frame? Amazing.
Pretty much. Still love it.

SCB3

Man I feel like going back to 3 and NV a lot these days, A Tale of Two Wastelands looks like a really good mod

Laptop1991

Love New Vegas, one of the best games i've ever played, i like all the 3D Single Player ones, but if i had to choose 1 then it's NV, so many hours i spent in that game!.

Last edited:

Filben

I really don’t know why this one gets so much love, the main story quest was really shitty, the ending was decent at least, but where this went mid-late game was nothing at all special.
So the same as Fallout 3 then.

On a serious note, it has basically better quest structure, more nuance to it in many cases (not all of course), better weapons and equipment systems, is overall better balanced.

It's shitty when it comes to the shooting, but even Fallout 4 barely gets that right (and also many others full time shooters), to be fair. It looked dated even at the time it came out, the engine is barely holding together, and it requires quite a few mods for adding some basic shooter standards (better recoil, weapon sway, better hit feedback, in general better and more responsive and reliable movement and VATS implementation) and real good balancing; mods that, by the time of its release, weren't out and took many years.

Overall it's a good RPG through and through. It felt rough when it came out, still does, but has a great RPG system under the hood and allows more character customization (I don't mean skins, hats, tattoos etc.) and role play options many others so-called "RPGs" won't offer.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Makes sense that it started out as an expansion. I really enjoyed New Vegas, but I did prefer Fallout 3 over it. Fallout 3 had a better atmosphere for me.

I liked how Fallout 3 was more apocalyptic. The nuclear ravaged cities, world design, and atmosphere were much better in Fallout 3 in my opinion. That is something that Bethesda Softworks has excelled at... excellent world building and atmospheric story telling. I recently finished replaying Fallout 3 this year after not playing in a decade. I have yet to return to New Vegas. I do want to play it again, but I will replay Fallout 4 before replaying New Vegas.

New Vegas, for better or for worse... just felt like the actual desert. Most of the time it just looked like normal/old non nuclear ravaged Mojave. Which makes sense I suppose... it was just a little boring.

Also, I'm not being sarcastic here... I did prefer the green hue as opposed to the orange and brown hue of New Vegas.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
It's funny how this "DLC" had some of the best DLC of its own from the whole series.

Old World Blues and Lonesome Road are fantastic and add so much content. Honest Hearts fleshed out some nice story beats but was pretty average. Personally I loved Dead Money (especially if you're crazy enough to make off with ALL the gold like I did) but it's easily the most divisive. The breadth of content in the DLC is basically a second games worth of stuff to do though.

I'd say the only stuff that can hold a candle to the above are Point Lookout and Far Harbor.

Not bad for DLC of a DLC.

With the worst map/world to explore. It had the best story and dialog options though.
I don't know.. I just remember in New Vegas being able to pick a direction and continuously find stuff to do while in 3 I can walk a straight line through the whole map and find nothing at all.

ungalo

New Vegas map is its own ecosystem. It's not just about exploring but building a cohesive and consistent world.

Bethesda is good to make you want to explore the map, but New Vegas was so much more than that (while still retaining the mystery of some places and good exploration segments). They built the open world with their narrative design ambition in mind.

And even if the loneliness of the wasteland is great in Fallout 3 i prefer a background involving factions, people to talk to, a lot of people.

Irobot82

God, the amount of random crash to desktop and BSOD was high for me when this was out but god so worth it. I recently reinstalled and modded up with unofficial fixes and has done wonders. Only one crash so far.
I had a bug where I couldn't finished the quest for the NCR where they wanted me to kill the brotherhood. I wasn't too keen on it anyhow. So I went in the dam battle and killed Caesar's Legion, Killed the old Enclave and when the NCR general went up to thank me I threw a few holy hand grenades at him. I had also previously killed Mr. House. Credits roll, No Gods, No Master achievement unlocked. It's really the one true ending.

Marchizmo

Because Obsidian makes better games than Bethesda.
While I'm at it Skyrim is a pretty overrated game and if I ever see that intro morphed into something again I'm gonna strangle myself.

Last edited:

Banned
You Dont Say Nicholas Cage GIF

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Looking back at Fallout 4 now, I might like it less than New Vegas or Fallout 3 but looking at how things turned out for cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 4 is simply the far superior game in many many regards. They didn't bite off more than they could chew and the experience you are looking for was very much intact even if it wasn't as good as Fallout 3 or New Vegas in my personal opinion.

J jaysius Agreed. I like it, but its nothing compared to Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.
That's a big change of heart even though I am aware that tastes can change.

I find it myself petty for pulling this up, but I was just shocked to see quite a few people on this thread knocking NV in comparison to the Fallout 3 and 4 as this is usually not the case. I wanted to see if this opinion has changed in recent years and the first user I checked (you) fit the bill.

Last edited:
GREAT memories of this game back in 2010 and 2011, doesn't feel real that it's well over a decade ago, still feels like a "fairly recent" game to me.

I'd love to replay it, especially as I've more recently replayed Fallout 1 and 2, but I do wish New Vegas' graphics had aged better, game's pretty damn ugly these days, F3 holds up better because of the darker color palette, NV's brighter look, while refreshing at the time, shows the flaws in the engine more.

Ben87fr

Replaying it right now and it's crazy how good it still is, they made it in 18 months i think ? Much better than the others (3 and 4)

EDMIX

That's a big change of heart even though I am aware that tastes can change.

I find it myself petty for pulling this up, but I was just shocked to see quite a few people on this thread knocking NV in comparison to the Fallout 3 and 4 as this is usually not the case. I wanted to see if this opinion has changed in recent years and the first user I checked (you) fit the bill.

yea going back and replaying NV, it has a lot of its own issues and I actually think Fallout 4 overall is the better game.

Fallout 3
Fallout 4
Fallout NV

imho..currently lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom