• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu - Hideo Kojima's 2022 Aspirations and Focus

kyliethicc

Famitsu - "I asked 127 game creators about their 2022 resolution."​

Mr. Hideo Kojima of Kojima Productions​

m7PcZdq.jpg

Keywords for 2022​

New waves and outboard activities

Aspirations in 2022​

We are looking for a new generation of development systems and regain the flexible and communication-speeded production rhythm before Corona as a studio.

Recent report​

A big title and a new challenging title. In addition, I want to take a step forward in the near future when the boundaries of entertainment disappear, and I want to take a step forward in different media and expressions from games.

What I'm paying attention to in 2022​

The year when streaming certainly changes the entertainment industry. Changes in the form of provision will have a big impact on the work itself and business methods. It will be an age when you can clearly understand those changes.

(translated from Japanese)

So 2 titles incoming from Koji Pro. A big title and a new challenging title.

He's also focusing on streaming and non-gaming entertainment.

Last edited:

Tschumi

i love this guy but if he made a film it would be the cheesiest shit ever lol, he should direct a MEU film

yurinka

The year when streaming certainly changes the entertainment industry. Changes in the form of provision will have a big impact on the work itself and business methods. It will be an age when you can clearly understand those changes.
What is going to change regarding streaming in 2022? Maybe he's talking about the release of Spartacus and some PS Now related changes?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Well, it's heartening to know buzzwords aren't just a Western thing (or maybe Kojima has a Western mind).

. . .because that's all I got from that interview.

Hugare

MS Cloud exclusive thingy and horror game

i love this guy but if he made a film it would be the cheesiest shit ever lol, he should direct a MEU film

Yeah

Cant wait until he fails and goes back to games

Would probably be a while tho, since the man has an ego, and wouldnt give up on his first try

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Famitsu - "I asked 127 game creators about their 2022 resolution."​

Mr. Hideo Kojima of Kojima Productions​

m7PcZdq.jpg

Keywords for 2022​

New waves and outboard activities

Aspirations in 2022​

We are looking for a new generation of development systems and regain the flexible and communication-speeded production rhythm before Corona as a studio.

Recent report​

A big title and a new challenging title. In addition, I want to take a step forward in the near future when the boundaries of entertainment disappear, and I want to take a step forward in different media and expressions from games.

(translated from Japanese)

So 2 titles incoming from Koji Pro. A big title and a new challenging title.

He's also focusing on streaming and non-gaming entertainment.
  • Waves = S
  • Regain = I
  • Itself = L
  • Step = E
  • Can = N
  • Studio = T

• When = H
  • Industry = I
  • Certainly = L
  • Clearly = L
It is right in front of us. What more evidence do people need!

kyliethicc

What is going to change regarding streaming in 2022? Maybe he's talking about the release of Spartacus and some PS Now related changes?
Kojima wants to make a game that can only be streamed.

“I think within the next few years, gaming will move on to streaming. Movies, dramas, and games will all be streamed, and you’ll enjoy them on your iPad or iPhone or a TV anytime, anywhere. When that happens, games, films, and dramas will have to compete in the same space. I’m very interested in the new format of game that will appear on there. And that’s what I want to take on.”

- Hideo Kojima

yurinka

Kojima wants to make a game that can only be streamed.

“I think within the next few years, gaming will move on to streaming. Movies, dramas, and games will all be streamed, and you’ll enjoy them on your iPad or iPhone or a TV anytime, anywhere. When that happens, games, films, and dramas will have to compete in the same space. I’m very interested in the new format of game that will appear on there. And that’s what I want to take on.”

- Hideo Kojima

Just watched that video, it's great. Thanks for sharing.

In the Famitsu quote from the OP there is the quote "The year when streaming certainly changes the entertainment industry." that seems to imply there is going to be some event/change/release that will cause a huge push for streaming, which currently is limited by data caps, shitty internet connections, tiny 5G coverage and server costs. I agree that streaming will be important in the future for gaming maybe in 5 (or more realistically, 10+) years from now, but I highly doubt there is an event in 2022 that would cause a huge spike on the game streaming market. Worldwide release of Luna? Nah. Spartacus with the mentioned changes? Nah.

Seems there is something else coming for streaming that we still don't know. Maybe Sony and/or MS adding a new way to buy games, the Stadia way: in addition to be able to buy a game physically, for a digital download or to rent it in a download or streaming subscription, you could buy a game to stream it. In a 2-3 years old Sony doc that was talking about next gen streaming plans they hinted something like that, a 3rd way to buy a game: for streaming it and not only in a console.

Right now, the current subscription based business model for subscription, mixed with the fact that game streaming still is limited to some countries and to have a good internet connection with no data cap, limits the amount of revenue made by game streaming to the point that doesn't make sense to make streaming only games, or even games focused on game streaming. As of today, the main business focus of the games is to sell (mostly digitally) the games and (mostly) their dlc/mtx because it's where the big majority of the revenue is.

As happens with any new type of platform or business model, it impacts in some way the game design, controls, feature, budget size, etc. Which for gamedevs is a challenge to understand the new medium and market, and needs some research, adaptation and learning to find a new game format that adapts well to the new medium.

So with the quote you added in the recent post, I think he says he's looking forward to take this challenge in the future with a game designed for streaming, which doesn't mean that game would only be released on streaming. Specially if released in 2022 or 2023, because PS Now or Xcloud simply run normal console games so they could also sell that game on console and Steam, which is where the (non mobile) gaming market money is as of today. Plus he never said there that 'wants to make a game that can only be streamed'.

We're getting Death Stranding 2 aren't we?
According to Norman Reedus, many months ago they were negotiating with him to appear there. So (unless they cancel it, something I doubt it) yes.

Xbox Cloud Gaming exclusive now, after Phil "the fallen" Harrisson canned it, and Phil "THE CHAD" Spencer greenlit it again.
This rumor was oficially debunked. Google said even if they talk with many potential partners (trying to court them to release games on their platform) Stadia never got anything from Kojipro, not even a pitch. So they couldn't cancel (and MS couldn't get) something that didn't exist. Meanwhile after the PC port they released Death Stranding Director's Cut and seem to be working on the sequel.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Just watched that video, it's great. Thanks for sharing.

In the Famitsu quote from the OP there is the quote "The year when streaming certainly changes the entertainment industry." that seems to imply there is going to be some event/change/release that will cause a huge push for streaming, which currently is limited by data caps, shitty internet connections, tiny 5G coverage and server costs. I agree that streaming will be important in the future for gaming maybe in 5 (or more realistically, 10+) years from now, but I highly doubt there is an event in 2022 that would cause a huge spike on the game streaming market. Worldwide release of Luna? Nah. Spartacus with the mentioned changes? Nah.

Seems there is something else coming for streaming that we still don't know. Maybe Sony and/or MS adding a new way to buy games, the Stadia way: in addition to be able to buy a game physically, for a digital download or to rent it in a download or streaming subscription, you could buy a game to stream it. In a 2-3 years old Sony doc that was talking about next gen streaming plans they hinted something like that, a 3rd way to buy a game: for streaming it and not only in a console.

Right now, the current subscription based business model for subscription, mixed with the fact that game streaming still is limited to some countries and to have a good internet connection with no data cap, limits the amount of revenue made by game streaming to the point that doesn't make sense to make streaming only games, or even games focused on game streaming. As of today, the main business focus of the games is to sell (mostly digitally) the games and (mostly) their dlc/mtx because it's where the big majority of the revenue is.

As happens with any new type of platform or business model, it impacts in some way the game design, controls, feature, budget size, etc. Which for gamedevs is a challenge to understand the new medium and market, and needs some research, adaptation and learning to find a new game format that adapts well to the new medium.

So with the quote you added in the recent post, I think he says he's looking forward to take this challenge in the future with a game designed for streaming, which doesn't mean that game would only be released on streaming. Specially if released in 2022 or 2023, because PS Now or Xcloud simply run normal console games so they could also sell that game on console and Steam, which is where the (non mobile) gaming market money is as of today. Plus he never said there that 'wants to make a game that can only be streamed'.

According to Norman Reedus, many months ago they were negotiating with him to appear there. So (unless they cancel it, something I doubt it) yes.
tldr

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You gotta let Kojima revisit Metal Gear Solid, yes Death Stranding makes him look like a genius yet his incredible achievements where with that franchise, MGS never touches headlines without Kojima, MGS is amazingly bad without Kojima.

kyliethicc

Where does it say two games? Maybe a bad translation but it didn't say that anywhere.

rYQop98.jpg

近況報告​

大きなタイトルと新しいチャレンジングなタイトル。さらにエンタメの境界線がなくなる近未来に向けて、ゲームとは異なる媒体、表現にも一歩踏み出す年にしたい。

Recent report on the market

A big title and a new challenging title. In addition, I want to take a step forward in a different medium and expression from the game for the near future when the boundaries of entertainment disappear.

vUEJQwt.jpg

Top Bottom