• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 1/30/23 – 2/5/23 | PlayStation 5 sells 93,026 units.

reksveks

Famitsu has published its estimated physical game software and hardware sales data for Japan for the week of January 30, 2023 to February, 2023.

No new releases were charted in the top 10 software sales. Pokemon Scarlet and Pokemon Violet for Switch were the top sellers, moving another 31,191 units. They were followed by Splatoon 3 for Switch, which moved another 14,298 units.

On the hardware side, the PlayStation 5 family sold 93,026 units, the Switch family sold 55,736 units, the Xbox Series family sold 14,644 units, and the PlayStation 4 family sold 953 units.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

[NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet (The Pokemon Company, 11/18/22) – 31,191 (4,807,491)
[NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 14,298 (3,862,841)
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 13,858 (5,142,172)
[NSW] Fire Emblem Engage (Nintendo, 01/20/23) – 12,920 (185,920)
[NSW] Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life (Marvelous, 01/26/23) – 9,522 (50,281)
[NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 7,723 (3,032,742)
[NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 7,461 (994,203)
[NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 6,346 (1,169,936)
[NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 6,128 (5,116,872)
[NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 4,480 (2,840,736)
Rankings 11 to 30 will be announced on February 10.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

PlayStation 5 – 76,450 (2,343,017)
Switch OLED Model – 32,780 (3,849,141)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 16,576 (361,727)
Xbox Series S – 14,277 (244,155)
Switch – 12,415 (19,163,038)
Switch Lite – 10,541 (5,195,707)
PlayStation 4 – 953 (7,851,829)
Xbox Series X – 367 (173,885)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 70 (1,190,450)

Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/famitsu-sales-1-30-23-2-5-23

aljNLSK.png

89OKPDL.png

Elios83

Sony was not kidding, this is better supply than during the holiday season.
Xss dammit. You stole the show today.

Famitsu has been weird about Xbox numbers but this week the increase could be motivated by the imminent price increase.

feynoob

Banned
Famitsu has been weird about Xbox numbers but this week the increase could be motivated by the imminent price increase.
With PS5 price increase, I doubt these guy care about it.
The most puzzling about this is that number. Does Xbox have supply shortage in Japan?

Dane

I jokingly tought that Series would sell much more after the price hike... wtf it did?

I have a theory that both PS5 and Series were stock constrained on purpose to decide when it would be the time to open the stock floodgates with the price hike.

I jokingly tought that Series would sell much more after the price hike... wtf it did?

I have a theory that both PS5 and Series were stock constrained on purpose to decide when it would be the time to open the stock floodgates with the price hike.

Price rise will be effective from feb 17, these couple of weeks should do fine

Last edited:

Elios83

With PS5 price increase, I doubt these guy care about it.
The most puzzling about this is that number. Does Xbox have supply shortage in Japan?
Well why they shouldn't care if it's their last chance to get the system at 5000 yen less?
I don't remember if PS5 had a surge in sales before the price increase and if it was possible to have one because of hardware supply, but it's also a different product with a different level of demand.

jm89

nba-lol.gif

I seriously didn't think they could reach that in a non holiday/non big release week.

That's what the japanese market is capable of.

jm89

Definitely not with the S.

They were selling barely 1k a week the last few weeks, and suddenly shot up to 15k this week before the price rise so that stock was definitely available.

Don't know about the X though.

The thing with the S is i can see the appeal with it being a small cheap console.

But with the X it's a hard sell when you have the PS5 similary priced and typically more japanese games come out for it.

Last edited:
I genuinely was not expecting that high of a number. Was thinking a steady 30-40k ongoing would be the "good" case.

Harry Potter is pretty popular in Japan so will be very interested to see what numbers it puts up.

smbu2000

XSS has pretty much been available. I’m alsoguessing the surge is because of the incoming price increase.
XSX have been unavailable for a long time now. I haven’t seen any available.

PS5 stock has suddenly come available recently and it is easy to pick up in stores. My local store had both Digital and normal ps5 systems and as well as the Horizon bundle versions of Digital and normal ps5 systems.

Media Create (January 2nd to February 5th)

NSW 374.310
PS5 278.432
XBS 9.819

Famitsu (January 2nd to February 5th)

NSW 370.147
PS5 281.199
XBS 18.923

MC back to having a disagreement about Xbox numbers

Xss dammit. You stole the show today.
I really don't think Famitsu is reliable for Xbox sales. It's really weird how they are close to both PS5 and Switch but have a 50% disagreement over only Xbox sales...

About stealing the show...PS5 sold nearly 100k units in a single week in Japan without any major game release to have its best week ever. I'd say it steals the show based on all this alone.

Gambit2483

It's only going to keep climbing as long as Sony can keep up with stock. There's a LOT of PS4 owners than haven't upgraded yet.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have a Japanese friend who just hasn't been able to get one for the longest time nearly due to the fact of supply so it would be interesting to see if there is a lot of carryover from the last generation waiting on availability and of course software. If they can flood the market and advertise it well Final fantasy 16 maybe a giant game for them considering their install base is relatively low. And clearly Sony has made the right decision when it comes to their pandemic strategy as the world has been starved for these consoles and one could only imagine what it could have been if the hinges were completely taken off but it's good to see that things are back on track for them now they just need some games to accompany this.

Oof85

The cope over at Install Base is hilarious.
I can't see how it's cope when there's zero ps5 software in the chart.

Top 30 will really be informative but as it is now, hardware with little to no software isn't a great place to be in.

Unless somehow the strong reseller market in Japan is somehow negated when it comes to the Ps5?

Last edited:

Top 30 will really be informative but as it is now, hardware with little to no software isn't a great place to be in.
I have a weird feeling PS5 has a much bigger digital ratio than Switch. There's literally 360k of people that can't buy physical games for their PS5 and if the digital ratio is the same for the entire world, 60% of PS5 game sales are digital as well.

Switch always had a much bigger physical sales attack ratio.

Add to that that there's almost 30 million Switch units in Japan, opposed to PS5's 2.5M, i don't see how these results are that shocking. But pretending Japan doesn't buy PS5 to use these units is silly. Sony wouldn't ship these many units to a country if they realized they weren't being used by locals as well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

feynoob

Banned
About stealing the show...PS5 sold nearly 100k units in a single week in Japan without any major game release to have its best week ever. I'd say it steals the show based on all this alone.
For PS it's expected to sell that much, since it's home turf. Xbox doesn't sell that much, considering it was below 1k these past few weeks.
14k? Is impressive for a console that doesn't have that much presence.

onQ123

Unless somehow the strong reseller market in Japan is somehow negated when it comes to the Ps5?
You do know people can download games right?

Oof85

I have a weird feeling PS5 has a much bigger digital ratio than Switch. There's literally 360k of people that can't buy physical games for their PS5 and if the digital ratio is the same for the entire world, 60% of PS5 game sales are digital as well.

Switch always had a much bigger physical sales attack ratio.

Add to that that there's almost 30 million Switch units in Japan, opposed to PS5's 2.5M, i don't see how these results are that shocking. But pretending Japan doesn't buy PS5 to use these units is silly. Sony wouldn't ship these many units to a country if they realized they weren't being used by locals as well :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Why would Sony care as long as the retailers are buying stock though?

Nobody said every single unit of stock is going to China/SK/Rus.

Just that a portion of them being scalped would explain the dearth of physical software sales in a market that has both largely prioritized physical sells and a robust secondhand game market.

Nautilus

Banned
PS5 hardware sales are excellent, but where are the software. There is something VERY wrong going on.

And yeah, Switch continues to have a bad month.

Oof85

You do know people can download games right?
Yep, I've mostly downloaded all my games this past year so yeah, it's known.
But not everywhere is here(north America) and its been well documented that Japan is still largely skewed to physical unit sales.

Why would Sony care as long as the retailers are buying stock though?

Nobody said every single unit of stock is going to China/SK/Rus.

Just that a portion of them being scalped would explain the dearth of physical software sales in a market that has both largely prioritized physical sells and a robust secondhand game market.
What...Sony doesn't make much money out of units that are sold to retailers and aren't used. They care about people using them, subscribing to their services and buying games. They wouldn't prioritize a country that people don't buy units to use them, period.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS5 hardware sales are excellent, but where are the software. There is something VERY wrong going on.

This conspiracy theory is odd to me. Why are people so up in arms about this? What if 20% of all PS5s in Japan are going to China? Wouldn't Chinese people then buy PS5 games?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Nautilus

Banned
This conspiracy theory is odd to me. Why are people so up in arms about this? What if 20% of all PS5s in Japan are going to China? Wouldn't Chinese people then buy PS5 games?
Conspiracy theory? I'm just stating what the numbers don't show, i.e. the complete and utter lack of software numbers, of even bundled games.

Digital is a thing yes, but split is still below 50%. So tell me: What the hell is PS5 buyers using their PS5 with?The 100k from this week, and the 60k from the week before, and all the 2 million+ owners in Japan? Because saying that the majority of them are buying digital, or playing free games is the conspiracy theory here.

Conspiracy theory? I'm just stating what the numbers don't show, i.e. the complete and utter lack of software numbers, of even bundled games.

Digital is a thing yes, but split is still below 50%. So tell me: What the hell is PS5 buyers using their PS5 with?The 100k from this week, and the 60k from the week before, and all the 2 million+ owners in Japan? Because saying that the majority of them are buying digital, or playing free games is the conspiracy theory here.
For PS5 in Japan? Source?

Nautilus

Banned
For PS5 in Japan? Source?
What's the source for it not being so? Switch games, most notably Scarlet and Violet, are below 50%.Scarlet and Violet was around 43% when you compare the numbers it did on famitsu and Nintendo official numbers.

That was so for Pokemon, similar for Splatoon 3, XC 3, etc.

So where is your source that PS5 ganes suddenly have most sales on digital? Because that ain't what famitsu is showing.

Mr Moose

What's the source for it not being so? Switch games, most notably Scarlet and Violet, are below 50%.Scarlet and Violet was around 43% when you compare the numbers it did on famitsu and Nintendo official numbers.

That was so for Pokemon, similar for Splatoon 3, XC 3, etc.

So where is your source that PS5 ganes suddenly have most sales on digital? Because that ain't what famitsu is showing.
That's not how it works, you made the claim, you need to back it up. Switch isn't a PS5.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Because this same conspiracy theory was happening in America and parts of Europe too. It was the "all the PS5s are being sold to scalpers" crowd that was pushing that narrative. We found out how big of a lie that was later on.

Nautilus

Banned
That's not how it works, you made the claim, you need to back it up. Switch isn't a PS5.
He made the claim that what I was saying was a conspiracy theory.He's the one who needs to backup his claims.

And the Switch is on the same market, is the market leader, and by logic shares the same customers and thus the same habits. I gave my proof and now I await yours. Or will you continue to hide behind that rethoric? Maybe because you have nothing to show for yourself?

Mr Moose

He made the claim that what I was saying was a conspiracy theory.He's the one who needs to backup his claims.

And the Switch is on the same market, is the market leader, and by logic shares the same customers and thus the same habits. I gave my proof and now I await yours. Or will you continue to hide behind that rethoric? Maybe because you have nothing to show for yourself?
Digital is a thing yes, but split is still below 50% - Can you back this claim up?

Nautilus

Banned
Because this same conspiracy theory was happening in America and parts of Europe too. It was the "all the PS5s are being sold to scalpers" crowd that was pushing that narrative. We found out how big of a lie that was later on.
Was it? Did the PS5 software simply not appear on NPDs, or UK charts? Or did it, but only on lower positions, because there weren't that many PS5 out there? Honestly, never seen people complain about that outside of Japan.In Japan, PS5 software isn't doing less than the competition, its completely MIA.

So again, how do you prove that its digital that its doing the most of the sales, when there's no historical precedence or proof that I know of?

Mr Moose

I just did... Just read my previous post....

Will you back up yours, or keep hiding behind this facade?
No you did not, can you back up the claim that PS5 digital software sales are below 50%?
Japan has lower ratio of digital vs physical, than in the west. In the west physical is basically dying, except for Switch. In Japan physical still dominates
Maybe, that is especially true for the Switch, but I am looking for actual numbers for PS5 digital splits.

Last edited:
No you did not, can you back up the claim that PS5 digital software sales are below 50%?

Maybe, that is especially true for the Switch, but I am looking for actual numbers for PS5 digital splits.
Only way to know that is if Sony publicly disclosed that information. I know Nintendo has historically not disclosed hard figures for digital vs physical and prefer to just report full game sales regardless of boxed or digital.

Last edited:
Top Bottom