• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 11/15/21 – 11/21/21 - Pokemon does Pokemon Numbers and Sony clearly has supply issues in JP or sent everything to NA

reksveks

Famitsu has published its estimated physical game software and hardware sales data for Japan for the week of November 15, 2021 to November 21, 2021.
Pokeomon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl for Switch were the highest selling new releases of the week, collectively debuting at 1,395,642 retail copies sold.
On the hardware side, the Switch family sold a massive 167,778 units, the PlayStation 5 family sold 4,307 units, the Xbox Series family sold 3,422 units, and the PlayStation 4 family sold 188 units. Next-generation consoles continue to face stock issues.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl (The Pokemon Company, 11/19/21) – 1,395,642 (New)
  2. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 39,797 (329,497)
  3. [PS4] Battlefield 2042 (Electronic Art, 11/19/21) – 25,268 (New)
  4. [NSW] Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus, 11/11/21) – 22,513 (165,760)
  5. [PS5] Battlefield 2042 (Electronic Art, 11/19/21) – 21,637 (New)
  6. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 11,822 (2,920,975)
  7. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 11,149 (6,945,689)
  8. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 10,084 (2,279,676)
  9. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 9,890 (4,142,150)
  10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 8,621 (4,506,739)
Rankings 11 to 30 will be announced on November 26.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. Switch OLED Model – 68,796 (377,001)
  2. Switch – 60,512 (17,454,460)
  3. Switch Lite – 38,470 (4,195,309)
  4. PlayStation 5 – 4,134 (988,400)
  5. Xbox Series X – 2,203 (69,919)
  6. Xbox Series S – 1,219 (52,218)
  7. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 365 (1,177,353)
  8. PlayStation 4 – 188 (7,818,813)
  9. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 173 (188,845)
Graphs Incoming

Line chart of all platform holders
jSzsEvD.png

Split line chart of platform holders - 95% of the consoles sold last week was Switch's, 2.5% was PS, 1.95% was Xbox
qCx3TdC.png

Running Sales total for Sony Consoles (can someone add the PS4 vs PS5 graph?)
9cINqDH.png

Sony Consoles split by SKU
tevFGko.png

Xbox Consoles split by SKU - more Series X this week

r64pnEb.png

Running Sales total for Xbox Consoles
o3jBR0e.png

Sony vs Xbox Sales split
01jyX9Z.png

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
The fk is going with ps5D? 2nd week, and its been selling crap. Is the supply constrain that bad? It outsold both the series combined, but lately its been taking a nose dive.

and good week for nintendo.

Osaka_Boss

Shin Megami Tensei V is not selling well there. Last time, they moved to the 3ds because nocturne hadn't sold 400k.... That's bad.....

Are you impyling PS5s are on shelves in Japan and aren't selling out or something? I have yet to see pictures of that happening.

Clearly Japan is not a priority for Sony right now and it's selling everything they send there anyway. Most of their stock is going to the USA and Europe clearly.
I see what you're saying but judging by the software people in Japan don't seem to care to much about the the PS eco system.

Nintendo has been killing it.

The fk is going with ps5D? 2nd week, and its been selling crap. Is the supply constrain that bad? It outsold both the series combined, but lately its been taking a nose dive.

and good week for nintendo.
Sony wants to be able to say PS5 starts at $399. They don't want to actually sell it at $399 while people will still buy as many as thry can make at $500.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I have no proof here, but pretty sure its the PS5 supply problem causing the drop in chart.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo IP are too strong in this generation.

Top 10 Nintendo Switch Physical and digital sales

1. Animal Crossing New Horizons - 9.62m
2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 5.74m
3. Pokémon Sword and Shield - 5.33m
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 5.26m
5. Splatoon 2 - 4.69m
6. Ring Fit Adventure - 3.33m
7. Super Mario Odyssey - 2.74m
8. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - 2.67m
9. Super Mario Party - 2.67m
10.Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee - 2.15m

brian0057

Banned
Are you impyling PS5s are on shelves in Japan and aren't selling out or something? I have yet to see pictures of that happening.

Clearly Japan is not a priority for Sony right now and it's selling everything they send there anyway. Most of their stock is going to the USA and Europe clearly.
I'm just saying it's not surprising that a console the size of a VCR with no games isn't selling as well as a portable one with lots of games, including many exclusives.
Especially in a country where the average living space is the size of a broom closet.

But sure, let's call it "supply issues". It sounds a lot better than "people aren't buying your gameless console".

kingfey

Banned
Sony wants to be able to say PS5 starts at $399. They don't want to actually sell it at $399 while people will still buy as many as thry can make at $500.
isnt that moronic decision for them? Digital would make more money for them, since people will buy games directly from their stores, and thus keeping 30% to themself. 350$ for digital, and make the loss from software sales.

I guess they want the apple way. Pay $999 for stand in.

reksveks

I'm just saying it's not surprising that a console the size of a VCR with no games isn't selling as well as a portable one with lots of games, including many exclusives.
Firstly there wasn't any comparison between the switch and the Playstation. Even with unlimited supply, I think the switch would outsell the ps5. Did you think I said/alluded to that?

Secondly given that we know that supply is heavily constrained, we cant use these numbers as any proof for/against the demand of the PS5.

reksveks

isnt that moronic decision for them? Digital would make more money for them, since people will buy games directly from their stores, and thus keeping 30% to themself. 350$ for digital, and make the loss from software sales.
If what Captain Toad is saying is true then they either know that the attached rate for digital game sales isn't enough to over come the loss generated by selling a DE sku and/or they are prioritising short term margin over long term ones.

Astral Dog

Shin Megami Tensei V is not selling well there. Last time, they moved to the 3ds because nocturne hadn't sold 400k.... That's bad.....
Thats more the ip than the Switch at this point, plus digital have been increasing(just ask Capcom) SMT V at least surpassed 3DS sales counting that

On Demand

Banned

This idiotic excuse is still being used?

PS5D isn’t some limited edition console. Its going to be sold for the entire generation along with the PS5 disc version.

This is nothing but supply. Disc PS5 being the priority since that’s what will sell the most.

Nautilus

Banned
Oofffff those PS5 sales.Supply issue or not, this goes beyond simply not being able produce enough units. Sony is clearly prioritizing other markets and heavily, HEAVILY sidelining Japan.

Other than that, Pokemon and Switch did great, but nothing mindblowing.

This idiotic excuse is still being used?

PS5D isn’t some limited edition console. Its going to be sold for the entire generation along with the PS5 disc version.

This is nothing but supply. Disc PS5 being the priority since that’s what will sell the most.
There is no amount of either that they could make that wouldn't sell. Therefore, they are making the one that they sell for $500.

Just look at the difference in the amount they are making - it's like 10 to 1. Have you seen PS5 DE sitting around anywhere unsold. To suggest that Sony isn't making the DE version because it wouldn't sell proves that YOU'RE the idiot here.

This isn't like the Series S vs X where the S is significantly cheaper to produce. The PS5 DE is a full PS5 with only an extremely cheap disc drive being the only change in a $100 price difference.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Especially in a country where the average living space is the size of a broom closet.

But sure, let's call it "supply issues". It sounds a lot better than "people aren't buying your gameless console".

"Gameless console". That's cute.

On Demand

Banned
There is no amount of either that they could make that wouldn't sell. Therefore, they are making the one that they sell for $500.

Just look at the difference in the amount they are making - it's like 10 to 1. Have you seen PS5 DE sitting around anywhere unsold. To suggest that Sony isn't making the DE version because it wouldn't sell proves that YOU'RE the idiot here.

The stupid logic people like you have is that the only reason Sony made the digital PS5 is to have the illusion of a cheaper console. That’s why the supply is very limited compared to the physical.

That’s not the case at all. It was reported that Sony’s own internal data showed that disc PS5 was more wanted than the digital. That’s what influenced their supply numbers with both models.

For now the digital PS5 supply will be lower than the disc. Like I said it’s going to sold for the whole generation. So people assume Sony is going with this illusion $399 price for 7 years?????? Don’t be dumb.

Eventually stock for the digital will increase and even out with the disc. With the disc model still having more supply because of market reasons. But you’ll easily find the digital model on shelves just as the disc model.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
There is a major disconnect.

With software sales the way they are, it's only a matter of time before the PS5 hardware sales drop also.

Woopah

Some main takeaways here. Lots of interesting things this week:

• Switch - For a system about to turn 5 it is doing very well. But it does seem to have peaked. I expected it to do better in 2021 than 2020, but not even Pokémon was enough for it to beat the corresponding week last year.
  • PS5 - Very very low stock. If Sony doesn't increase inventory soon there's a danger it will fall behind the PS4 launch aligned
  • Xbox Series - Continues to surprise. An Xbox console hasn't outsold a PlayStation since the Xbox One launch inn 2014. Could it happen again?
  • Pokémon Diamond/Peral - Ridiculous debut, I definitely didn't expect it to beat the opening for Sword and Shield
  • Mario Party Superstars - Very good hold with only a 12% drop. Should be a big seller this holiday
  • SMTV - Slightly smaller drop than SMTIV, and it is currently 95k behind that game's lifetime numbers. I'm expecting a digital split of about 15% so it would need to sell about 56,000 copies more to match it.
  • Battlefield 2042 - A drop from previous games but it actually debuted better than COD: Vanguard. Also I think this game had the closest PS4/PS5 split than anything we've seen so far

"Sony clearly has supply issues in JP"

iu

Sure. Let's go with that.
Yea it's kinda sus. With some people anytime PS sales look slow the answer is always supply, but when Xbox sales are low the answer is something to effect of "lack of demand".

Or we can just do Occam's Razor and assume both systems (well, particularly PS5 and Series X) are supply-constrained. I don't think Series S demand is as high as those two, but it's not like demand for it is dead, either. Its overall demand might just match a bit closer to available supply, is all.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Yea it's kinda sus. With some people anytime PS sales look slow the answer is always supply, but when Xbox sales are low the answer is something to effect of "lack of demand".

Or we can just do Occam's Razor and assume both systems (well, particularly PS5 and Series X) are supply-constrained. I don't think Series S demand is as high as those two, but it's not like demand for it is dead, either. Its overall demand might just match a bit closer to available supply, is all.
The answer is supply though and it's obvious. PS5 are being sold for mega money by scalpers around the world. €900 from CEX and actual games store atm and will probably go up this Christmas. You can delude yourself into thinking its lack of demand or whatever but you're wrong.

The answer is supply though and it's obvious. PS5 are being sold for mega money by scalpers around the world. €900 from CEX and actual games store atm and will probably go up this Christmas. You can delude yourself into thinking its lack of demand or whatever but you're wrong.
Def not supply when software is all but dead on PS platforms in Japan. Sony doesnt have the Juice there.

On Demand

Banned
Yeah. Respond with a laugh emoji instead of a rebuttal.

The idea that Sony made digital PS5 only to have a perception of a cheaper PS5 doesn’t make any kind of sense. As if the digital PS5 will forever have low supply. When stock normalizes what’s the argument going to be then?

This FUD was kept being brought up last year after PS5 launched as if it was a fact. The FUD never tires does it.

Fake 10TF/3.5ghz
Fake RDNA2
Fake high end SSD
Fake next generation PS5 launch games
Fake high demand because scalpers
Fake $399 price

Yeah. Respond with a laugh emoji instead of a rebuttal.

The idea that Sony made digital PS5 only to have a perception of a cheaper PS5 doesn’t make any kind of sense. As if the digital PS5 will forever have low supply. When stock normalizes what’s the argument going to be then?

This FUD was kept being brought up last year after PS5 launched as if it was a fact. The FUD never tires does it.

Fake 10TF/3.5ghz
Fake RDNA2
Fake high end SSD
Fake next generation PS5 launch games
Fake high demand because scalpers
Fake $399 price
People have always undermined the one that's on top. It's always been like this for PlayStation.

Sony has always been lucky with their success if you look at all the excuses throughout the decades.

Psone: it was only a hit because it was cheaper and had a cd reader. Nintendo chose those cartridges and lost .
PS2: they were lucky because they chose DVDs for their media. People bought a lot of consoles because PS2 has dvd support. Nintendo chose mini discs and lost.
PS3: they were lucky that Blu-ray won the war against HD DVD. If not PS3 wouldn't sell nearly as much. Obviously once again Sony was lucky since PS3 was at first a cheap blu ray reader and obviously they found success because of that.
PS4: they were lucky that Xbox screwed up. They practically gave them their victory from that 2013 E3 alone.

Everything about PlayStation as a success story has been a series of lucky random events for Sony if you look at it. They only succeed due to luck, not because they know what they are doing and never because of their games, lmao.

Woopah

People have always undermined the one that's on top. It's always been like this for PlayStation.

Sony has always been lucky with their success if you look at all the excuses throughout the decades.

Psone: it was only a hit because it was cheaper and had a cd reader. Nintendo chose those cartridges and lost .
PS2: they were lucky because they chose DVDs for their media. People bought a lot of consoles because PS2 has dvd support. Nintendo chose mini discs and lost.
PS3: they were lucky that Blu-ray won the war against HD DVD. If not PS3 wouldn't sell nearly as much. Obviously once again Sony was lucky since PS3 was at first a cheap blu ray reader and obviously they found success because of that.
PS4: they were lucky that Xbox screwed up. They practically gave them their victory from that 2013 E3 alone.

Everything about PlayStation as a success story has been a series of lucky random events for Sony if you look at it. They only succeed due to luck, not because they know what they are doing and never because of their games, lmao.
It's true that their competitors made a lot of mistakes, but Sony had to be smart enough to capitalise on them. Likewise their competitors had to be smart enough to capitalise on the mistakes Sony made.
Or maybe Japan just doesn't give a shit what Sony have to offer
Sony has a software issue in Japan but the demand for hardware is higher than 5,000 a week. Supply is limiting sales more than demand.

Marty-McFly

Banned
PlayStation 5 demand isn't that big in Japan, that's why Sony didn't prioritize to supply it to Japan. Scalpers made PS5 looks like it's selling really well but the truth is the opposite as it was shown on software chart.
The Japanese aren't exactly known for liking giant sized home consoles with westernised software. I'm bullish on PS5 in Europe, NA and other regions, but in order to become a record breaking world wide sales leader, having a strong presence in Japan is mandatory.

I was just commentating on people who are always very quick to peg down Series sales, if they're low for a given week for example, or if it doesn't have the highest numbers in NPD, down to lack of demand. Because getting a Series X is pretty much as difficult as it is to get a PS5 currently.

Series S might be a bit of a different scenario, I do think its demand isn't as high as the other two. But, there's still a healthy amount for it to sell through at a decent clip. Personally feel Microsoft should've weighed production more to Series X units for the first year or so though, since between it and S it's the X with majority of the demand.

The Japanese aren't exactly known for liking giant sized home consoles with westernised software. I'm bullish on PS5 in Europe, NA and other regions, but in order to become a record breaking world wide sales leader, having a strong presence in Japan is mandatory.

But PS's been seeing gen-over-gen decreases in Japan since PS3. All the while it's still seen increases in other markets.

PS5 will likely come up short of PS4's LTD in Japan this gen but it will still most likely get within the 115 - 120 million LTD range of PS4, so growth in other markets will account for that. Too much emphasis is probably also placed on constant "record-breaking", stationary home consoles have probably already hit their ceiling in terms of total units to sell in a gen, but actual revenue and profits can be increased (and in fact are increasing). Same goes for general software sales, too.

Last edited:

Woopah

I keep hearing this, but does the size of the console really matter?

kingfey

Banned
I keep hearing this, but does the size of the console really matter?
it does. You need something small, and neat. Its why the switch sells a lot compared to the PlayStation systems. aside of portable, you can hide it beind the tv. Even the ps4 is capable of doing that. Good luck with ps5 and xsx doing that.

Dr Bass

We have like 20 years of evidence to support things you are calling ""sus."

Kerotan

I was just commentating on people who are always very quick to peg down Series sales, if they're low for a given week for example, or if it doesn't have the highest numbers in NPD, down to lack of demand. Because getting a Series X is pretty much as difficult as it is to get a PS5 currently.

Series S might be a bit of a different scenario, I do think its demand isn't as high as the other two. But, there's still a healthy amount for it to sell through at a decent clip. Personally feel Microsoft should've weighed production more to Series X units for the first year or so though, since between it and S it's the X with majority of the demand.

But PS's been seeing gen-over-gen decreases in Japan since PS3. All the while it's still seen increases in other markets.

PS5 will likely come up short of PS4's LTD in Japan this gen but it will still most likely get within the 115 - 120 million LTD range of PS4, so growth in other markets will account for that. Too much emphasis is probably also placed on constant "record-breaking", stationary home consoles have probably already hit their ceiling in terms of total units to sell in a gen, but actual revenue and profits can be increased (and in fact are increasing). Same goes for general software sales, too.
Tbf though while xbox demand ww is far lower then ps5 I'd still guess the majority of xboxs bought in Japan are by scalpers and sold in the rest of Asia where there's no stock.

Top Bottom