• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 11/22/21 – 11/28/21

reksveks

Trying something new and a bit easier for me.

M1AK1fC.png

Woopah

Are those numbers good for SMTV? Seems low. Thought this was a huge title in Japan. Hopefully the rest of the world picks up the slack. I did my part!

*EDIT

Went back and looked at the last couple of weeks of Famitsu sales. SMTV seems decent, but should have done better compared to the last two games. It didn't get that Switch boost unfortunately. I'm sure this will come to PC as has been the case with other third party exclusives. Just hope the PC market picks up the slack. It's a great game.
The Switch boost applies to some games in some places, but not every game in every place. In particular, franchises that did well on 3DS in Japan don't get the Switch boost. We saw this with Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Bravely Default and now SMT.
Well, there is no other result to be had out of Japan. Given the relatively weak sales of all home consoles after the PS2, even the mighty Wii (something that should have appealed greatly to Japan with it's motion controls and incredibly small size), it's obvious that Japan has been moving away from home consoles for over a decade and a half, now. Unless your system is also portable, you don't have much of a chance there.

Still, I'm sure Sony is fine with selling 8M-9M there, which is still 7M-8M more than the Series will sell. Their move towards powerful home consoles has them selling bucket loads in all other countries.

This is why people shouldn't focus so much on form factor. Otherwise it leads to false beliefs like "the Vita is portable it will do really well in Japan" or "Wii is really small, it will do well in Japan."

Software line up will always be the most important factor

This is why people shouldn't focus so much on form factor. Otherwise it leads to false beliefs like "the Vita is portable it will do really well in Japan" or "Wii is really small, it will do well in Japan."

Software line up will always be the most important factor
Not true for Japan. True, SW is important to continue to see success throughout the years and being portable isn't going to make your system an instant hit, BUT being portable is the only way you have a chance at being a big hit in Japan, now. The PS5 could be in good supply, with a great SW lineup throughout the years, but it's lack of portability will never allow it to pass 10M.

Top Bottom