• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 12/12/22 – 12/18/22 | Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion opens at 156,530 retail copies sold.

EDMIX

Switch killing it as always. Great PS5 numbers. Xbox couldn't even crack 1k combined, lol.

Happy to see Crisis Core doing well on all systems. 100k on Playstation shows that Sony has the FF fanbase on lock, even in Japan.

Facts.

I think its hard to shift that install base as for several generations they really, really tried...but the base seems to remain on PS. I admit I have a few on Steam like the FF3 DS remake (good ass fucking game) but I only do cause its not on PS3 or PS4 lol

So looking at the Switch and PS sales of Crisis Core, it makes a whole lot of fucking sense why something like Octopath Traveler 2 is coming to Switch, PS, PC. They want to focus on the biggest bread winners for them.

I'm hoping this gets them to remake other PSP, DS and 3DS games in the future

Last edited:

Celine

So it's peaked. At this rate, time for Switch 2 in 2023.
Switch peaked in 2020 however the subsequent years (2021, 2022) still recorded very strong sales.

Going with Famitsu estimates, in its 6th year NSW is going to end up with annual HW sales above 4.5 million units.
The last time a PlayStation console had annual HW sales over 4.5M was PS1 in 1998 (YTD: 4.51M).

Going by the current trend Switch could still sell over 3M units in 2023, The last time a PlayStation console had annual HW sales over 3.0M was PSP in 2008 (YTD: 3.54M).

In the name of Harman.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Switch peaked in 2020 however the subsequent years (2021, 2022) still recorded very strong sales.

Going with Famitsu estimates, in its 6th year NSW is going to end up with annual HW sales above 4.5 million units.
The last time a PlayStation console had annual HW sales over 4.5M was PS1 in 1998 (YTD: 4.51M).

Going by the current trend Switch could still sell over 3M units in 2023, The last time a PlayStation console had annual HW sales over 3.0M was PSP in 2008 (YTD: 3.54M).
Are these numbers for Japan only?

If yes, then you should be using global data to determine if the annual demand is slowing down or not.

PS5's 70k this week is a big increase of 62k from only 8k sold this week last year, which shows just how bad last years holiday period was. Overall PS5 is 143k up year over year.
cIhjYDa.jpg

Last edited:

Woopah

Facts.

I think its hard to shift that install base as for several generations they really, really tried...but the base seems to remain on PS. I admit I have a few on Steam like the FF3 DS remake (good ass fucking game) but I only do cause its not on PS3 or PS4 lol

So looking at the Switch and PS sales of Crisis Core, it makes a whole lot of fucking sense why something like Octopath Traveler 2 is coming to Switch, PS, PC. They want to focus on the biggest bread winners for them.

I'm hoping this gets them to remake other PSP, DS and 3DS games in the future
I don't think they've tried shifting the FF userbase at all. What they have been doing is growing the userbase on Switch and PC while maintaining it on PS.

The next FF remasters/remakes are going to be FF Tactics and FFXI. I imagine they'll be on PS, PC and Switch.

SE seems the be the third party which has finally got it's act together in Japan. They're had a good end to 2022 and 2023 looks good as well.

Are these numbers for Japan only?

If yes, then you should be using global data to determine if the annual demand is slowing down or not.
Switch demand is slowing down globally, but it'll still do around 18-19 million this fiscal year. Nintendo could do good for the next two or three years without releasing a new model.

But they won't base decisions on what is "good", they'll them on what will maximize profits.

Top Bottom