• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales [2/13-2/19] Ps5 #1 and Hogwarts Legacy (PS5) exceededs 100,000

First it was the hardware, now the two best selling games are PS5 games.
The narratives that some Nintendo fanboys obsessed with japanese sales wanted to believe in are basically collapsing under their feet.
On Famiboards last weeks Famitsu numbers had someone claiming this week Hogwarts wouldn't place in the top 10 because KIRBY and METROID would take "that damn TERF game out" lmao. These people live in their own cracked out worlds.

Last edited:
Nintendo bet on Switch being on market another year...this is going to get brutal by end if Summer for them. I guess they didn't learn from the Wii
I don't know why people are surprised, it is naturally declining like all platforms and on top of that Nintendo are still selling it at a very high price for what it is. However let's not be overly dramatic and liken it to Wii's decline, in it's sixth calendar year (purple) Wii sold 4.41 million compared to 19.01 million for Switch and in it's seventh Calendar year Wii fell to 1.53 million, Switch will probably sell 15 million in 2023. Just because it will sell less than PS5 this year does not mean it has nosedived like the Wii did.

Worldwide Calendar year hardware shipments Switch v Wii

4jfNBN8.png

nfr97SK.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html

Last edited:
switch hw is dropping like a rock, seems to be a pattern

Everyone and their mom has two switch’s already. Its still doing decent for 6 year old very outdated hardware but theres no way Nintendo could survive 2024 without something new

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I don't know why people are surprised, it is naturally declining like all platforms and on top of that Nintendo are still selling it at a very high price for what it is. However let's not be overly dramatic and liken it to Wii's decline, in it's sixth calendar year (purple) Wii sold 4.41 million compared to 19.01 million for Switch and in it's seventh Calendar year Wii fell to 1.53 million, Switch will probably sell 15 million in 2023. Just because it will sell less than PS5 this year does not mean it has nosedived like the Wii did.

World wide Calendar year hardware shipments Switch v Wii

4jfNBN8.png

nfr97SK.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html
I really wonder how much the Wii was selling in 2016 and 2017.

Last edited:

yazenov

Let's combined PS4 total profits since 2013 to 2022 plus PS5 total profits vs Nintendo since Switch era in 2017

SIE since 2013 profits - 1,881bn yen

Nintendo since 2017 profits - 2,453bn usd

Nintendo Switch is more profitable than all Sony gaming systems combined.

Actually the PS4 was competing with the Wii U, so post the Wiiu vs the PS4 profits for our entertainment.

The PS5 is competing with the Switch so we have to wait for the results.

You seem to like to cherry pick dates and comparisons to suit your agenda. Now lets see the Wii U vs the PS4. Im waiting.

And It will be fun to compare the Switch VS the PS5 revenue and profits this year. But I am sure you won't post the results and pull the disappearing act.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

FF16 will break them. You can feel it they wan't it to fail.

I haven't really followed discourse on japanese sales on ibf that closeley, so no idea where this hate comes from.
I forgot to say: its not about hate but knowledge about actual sales numbers and knowing historical trends. InstallBase are pretty tough on console warring of any form. In case you missed the point about Nintendo being responsible for 78 % of 3p sales in CY 22, and PS5 and PS4 for 4 % and 17 % respectively in my previous post.

I forgot to say: its not about hate but knowledge about actual sales numbers and knowing historical trends. InstallBase are pretty tough on console warring of any form. In case you missed the point about Nintendo being responsible for 78 % of 3p sales in CY 22, and PS5 and PS4 for 4 % and 17 % respectively in my previous post.

There are def some that take joy in the bad performance of hw/sw of playstation in japan

I mean...of course physical pre-orders from a single retail store are weaker in 2023 than it was 7 years ago.
Didn't know that retailer. Thanks.

Small store's physical pre-order numbers compared to a last gen game 7 years ago?!
That is clutching at straws if that is true.

7 years ago the digital split was like 30-40 digital to 60-70 physical or something. Now it's the reverse. To add to that a massive chunk of Japanese gamers only got their PS5 since the turn of the year.

Gambit2483

Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 never said it HAS nosedived as of now just that it's February and it's already dropping significantly. Another 7 or 8 months and there's nothing to say that it hasn't hit that cliff by then.

Once the market has decided on the next console leader and momentum and mindshare are lost it's hard to come back from that. That's the risk Nintendo is running by pushing ancient technology against an actual next gen system that actually takes advantage of everyone's fancy 4k tvs

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm more of a Nintendork, but I just LOVE when the market inverts like that. Especially in Japan. Don't ask me why, cause I don't know really.

I would probably guess it's because market change brings excitement. Seeing the same company at the top year after year is boring as hell..

Nautilus

Banned
Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 never said it HAS nosedived as of now just that it's February and it's already dropping significantly. Another 7 or 8 months and there's nothing to say that it hasn't hit that cliff by then.

Once the market has decided on the next console leader and momentum and mindshare are lost it's hard to come back from that. That's the risk Nintendo is running by pushing ancient technology against an actual next gen system that actually takes advantage of everyone's fancy 4k tvs
Oh yeah, because Sony is going to sell 20 million PS5 in one year or two.

Baby Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Oh yeah, because Sony is going to sell 20 million PS5 in one year or two.

Baby Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not talking about total sales. I'm talking about lost mindshare and momentum having a negative impact on their transition to their next system. I thought that was fairly obvious

Last edited:

Woopah

Excelllent PS5 hardware sales, but not too good safetware sales for the three debuts this week

First it was the hardware, now the two best selling games are PS5 games.
The narratives that some Nintendo fanboys obsessed with japanese sales wanted to believe in are basically collapsing under their feet.
Its still true to say that software sales for the first 2 years of the PS5 were quite low, but its also true to say that 2023 is looking a lot better with several causes for optimisim including Hogwarts Legacy. There could be even more reasons to be optimistic after the State of Play tonight.

If a successor comes within the next 12 months they should be okay. Hardware sales have been delcine for a couple of years now but software sales are still pretty strong.

Nautilus

Banned
I'm not talking about total sales. I'm talking about lost mindshare and momentum having a negative impact on their transition to their next system. I thought that was fairly obvious
And why would that happen?

The Switch was already less powerful than the PS4 when it launched, and yet it became as popular as it is. The Switch is popular because of its games, and nothing is changing on that front for the foreseeable future.

If the Switch 2 is indeed in 2024, the timing will be more than fine, especially cobsidering that the Switch came on the heels of the Wii U, and we know how well that console performed.

I think the problem with some of these Nintendo sales experts is they know PS5 stock being sent to Japan was pitiful for pretty much all of 2022, from January to December that huge market was sometimes seeing just 5-10K units a week I observed in the Famitsu threads. So of course the software sales and thus revenue is going to be similarly pitiful, as the install base is tiny.

And these 10k and similar hardware sales figures per week for the PS5 were also conflated as being a demand problem, as if with ample stock Sony couldn't move more than 10-20k units per week in its 2nd year! Obviously now it has posted closer to 100k for 4-5 weeks running that falsehood has been exposed.

Now the next thing is we are being told by the same lot that scalpers are the reason the hardware numbers are so high and the software not charting as well (compared often to Ninty's monster evergreen first party titles no less). So forgive me if I don't believe a word of it. Let the install base grow, then lets come back to see how the software is posting.

Eotheod

Won't Zelda come out and just absolutely wipe everything? Nintendo bet well for a roughly mid-year big title drop, will drop across until they reveal next-gen Switch which will spike hype.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo bet on Switch being on market another year...this is going to get brutal by end if Summer for them. I guess they didn't learn from the Wii
PS5 pent up demand continues.Let's see how long it lasts.

Switch sales are just sad. But understandable as it is its 7th year on the market.
Well, it's not exactly a bad week for the Switch, it's selling great as usual, like just PS5 sales went up but Switch sales stayed the exact same... Where do you see that "decline"? Switch didn't even have any big release yet it sells like PS5 didn't happen

Kerotan

Jeez, what a sad show of a first page in this thread.
And some people take it personally when somebody says that this place is unhealthily obsessed with sales. Ten posts in and it’s console warring already.
Console warring is another man's banter. Pub talk is all.

Edit: also the only FF number that counts is the one SE announced they've shipped 7-10 day's after launch.

Last edited:

Baki

I wonder what baseline PS5 will maintain for the rest of the year. I thought 90K was because of Hogwarts but it's now sustained that level for 3 weeks now.

Woopah

I think the problem with some of these Nintendo sales experts is they know PS5 stock being sent to Japan was pitiful for pretty much all of 2022, from January to December that huge market was sometimes seeing just 5-10K units a week I observed in the Famitsu threads. So of course the software sales and thus revenue is going to be similarly pitiful, as the install base is tiny.

And these 10k and similar hardware sales figures per week for the PS5 were also conflated as being a demand problem, as if with ample stock Sony couldn't move more than 10-20k units per week in its 2nd year! Obviously now it has posted closer to 100k for 4-5 weeks running that falsehood has been exposed.

Now the next thing is we are being told by the same lot that scalpers are the reason the hardware numbers are so high and the software not charting as well (compared often to Ninty's monster evergreen first party titles no less). So forgive me if I don't believe a word of it. Let the install base grow, then lets come back to see how the software is posting.
Scalpers was always the theory put forward, as it was the best way to explain why the software sales were so low even taking the userbase into account. Now there is more suppy and more PS5s actually ending up in the hands of Japan consumsers, software sales should rise (as we are kind of already seeing).
Won't Zelda come out and just absolutely wipe everything? Nintendo bet well for a roughly mid-year big title drop, will drop across until they reveal next-gen Switch which will spike hype.
Zelda, FFXVI, Pikmin 4 and the Momotaro Dentetsu sequel look the be the biggest sellers this year. Potentially also the Dragon Quest III remake and FFVII remake if they actually come out in 2023. Plus there's also some mid-sized titles so could be an excellent year for software.

sandbood

Banned

I haven't really followed discourse on japanese sales on ibf that closeley, so no idea where this hate comes from.
FF16 sets to be the lowest selling mainline FF game in Japan. For example, Splatoon 3 sales numbers in Japan alone is going to be bigger than FF16 worldwide sales on PS5.

Splatoon 3 is going to sell around 8 million units in Japan and it's currently at 6.32 million units.

FF16 sets to be the lowest selling mainline FF game in Japan. For example, Splatoon 3 sales numbers in Japan alone is going to be bigger than FF16 worldwide sales on PS5.

Splatoon 3 is going to sell around 8 million units in Japan and it's currently at 6.32 million units.
One of the biggest games on Switch, a console that has sold over 120M WW and over 20M in Japan alone will be more than FFXVI... a game that will be released on a console that has sold like 30M WW?

I'm in shock. No one expects that to happen.

/s

Anyway...i highly doubt FFXVI overall sales will be less than 8M in the end. FFVII Remake sold like 7.4M on PS4 alone and in a few months if i remember right. I can't see why it's hard to imagine FFXVI selling over 8M in a few years. Probably not right out the gate but it's also releasing on a console that at that point will be at around 40M WW. 8M would mean 1 in each 5 people with a PS5 would be buying the game. Tha's never happening and no one expects it to.

Baki

I don’t think FF16 will do that well in Japan but it’s going to do great worldwide. IBF has a heavy Nintendo slant because media create threads have been a safe haven from negative Nintendo news for the past 10 years. So it’s become a place where people with strong Nintendo bias congregate. It’s still a great forum for sales age stats, it’s just not particularly pleasant in their MC threads.

sandbood

Banned
One of the biggest games on Switch, a console that has sold over 120M WW and over 20M in Japan alone will be more than FFXVI... a game that will be released on a console that has sold like 30M WW?

I'm in shock. No one expects that to happen.

/s

Anyway...i highly doubt FFXVI overall sales will be less than 8M in the end. FFVII Remake sold like 7.4M on PS4 alone and in a few months if i remember right. I can't see why it's hard to imagine FFXVI selling over 8M in a few years. Probably not right out the gate but it's also releasing on a console that at that point will be at around 40M WW. 8M would mean 1 in each 5 people with a PS5 would be buying the game. Tha's never happening and no one expects it to.
Last known sales numbers we have for FF7R was 5 million units shipped and it flopped so badly on both steam(based on CCU figure) and epic games.

Square Enix is really dumb for limiting FF franchise sales potential by releasing it on a single platform this time around.

Mainline Final Fantasy franchise is no longer the top tier 3rd party seller like it used to be. Elden Ring, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evils are the top dog on the market. Now with single platform strategy, Final Fantasy is closer to Persona franchise in term of sales.

Last edited:
I don’t think FF16 will do that well in Japan but it’s going to do great worldwide. IBF has a heavy Nintendo slant because media create threads have been a safe haven from negative Nintendo news for the past 10 years. So it’s become a place where people with strong Nintendo bias congregate. It’s still a great forum for sales age stats, it’s just not particularly pleasant in their MC threads.

I just view it as a Nintendo forum mostly which is ok, it has the best research typically regarding all game sales.

Just don’t ever expect a lot of positivity around playstation or anything associated with it

Unknown?

Nah FF16 will beat 15.

Top Bottom