• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 6/20/22 – 6/26/22: FE Warriors: 3 Hopes opens at 98k

reksveks

Famitsu Sales: Week 26, 2022 (Jun 20 - Jun 26)

01./00. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2022.06.24} (¥7.200) - 97.538 / NEW
02./02. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 19.255 / 512.301 (+2%)
03./01. [NSW] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles # <FTG> (Aniplex) {2022.06.09} (¥6.800) - 10.663 / 122.512 (-49%)
04./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 9.261 / 4.691.651 (+10%)
05./04. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.03.25} (¥5.980) - 8.239 / 777.810 (-5%)
06./03. [NSW] Mario Strikers: Battle League <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.06.10} (¥5.980) - 7.688 / 52.863 (-41%)
07./08. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980) - 7.437 / 3.188.728 (+36%)
08./06. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 7.095 / 2.684.472 (+3%)
09./12. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980) - 4.621 / 7.272.811 (+48%)
10./10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 4.449 / 4.909.639 (+2%)

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
Switch OLED Model – 28,267 (1,927,423)
Switch – 19,089 (18,418,847)
Switch Lite – 9,193 (4,771,088)
Xbox Series S – 4,034 (134,110)
Xbox Series X – 4,881 (113,864)
PlayStation 5 – 7,257 (1,459,052)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,924 (244,132)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 141 (1.200.406)
PlayStation 4 – 17 (7,819,718)

Source: https://www.famitsu.com/news/202206/30266949.html

Will post the updated dashboard later.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
At this point I don't believe in ps5 stock problems. I think japanese people are really looking forward for Xbox series.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've seen one Xbox in my entire time in Japan and it was in a fellow foreigner's flat. I can't even buy one in any electronics stores local to me (and Japanese people still do a lot of shopping at physical stores).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At this point I don't believe in ps5 stock problems. I think japanese people are really looking forward for Xbox series.
Console sales in Japan have trended down since the PS2 days. Even with endless stock, sales would go up but I dont see how PS or Xbox sales would be anything great in Japan like the old days.

Japanese gamers trended to Nintendo and mobile the past 15 years. Cute looking games with mobility seems the way to go as opposed to sitting in front of the tv to play.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Goalus

I've seen one Xbox in my entire time in Japan and it was in a fellow foreigner's flat. I can't even buy one in any electronics stores local to me (and Japanese people still do a lot of shopping at physical stores).
Yes, it seems to be completely sold out.

Kerotan

All these xboxs are getting shipped abroad anyway. Same with most pat also tbh.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Japan's certainly more into the Series consoles than they were for Xbox Ones, at least it looks that way.

TheTony316

PS4 used to sell 10x to 20x the amount of XB1.

It did. But PS at it's absolute worst still is far ahead of Xbox at it's best in sales and software support. Xbox total sales in Japan are at about 250k (which is great by Xbox standards) The PS5 is close to 1,7 million.

Last edited:
If you believe hard enough maybe it will become true one day.

Actually, no it won't.

PS5 - 1,703,184
XS - 247,974

About 6x-7x. Supply issues, and Japan likes handhelds and no sex.

Consoles have been on a decline there, so it becomes a logistics needle thread on what to supply with more of the focus abroad due to higher demographics.
The real question here is why MS is sending stock to Japan instead of markets where things are a lot closer? Seems like a mistake.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Between Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade and Pokémon it’s gonna be a long while before Nintendo stops destroying the JP charts. Nobody’s getting close to the 25M Switch anytime soon.

Good to see MS making progress there anyway, little by little establishing a presence.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
If you believe hard enough maybe it will become true one day.

Actually, no it won't.

The real question here is why MS is sending stock to Japan instead of markets where things are a lot closer? Seems like a mistake.
would be funny if PS5 outsell Series console massively in US/UK

would be funny if PS5 outsell Series console massively in US/UK
That also isn't going to happen, those are the two strongest Xbox markets, but PS5 outselling the Xbox there like the PS4 did is likely, specially when you consider that Sony seems to be sacrificing stock in other markets to make sure they don't fall behind of their target too much in the key ones.

Last edited:
The real question here is why MS is sending stock to Japan instead of markets where things are a lot closer?
You assume that Microsoft is that limited in stock for the consoles. They send relatively the same amount most of the time to various regions. While they cannot produce as many as they want, but the supply is relatively stable.

Last edited:
You assume that Microsoft is that limited in stock for the consoles. They send relatively the same amount most of the time to various regions.
Then this shows how much more demand there is for PS5. They can't even afford to supply Japan a market that is a lot more important to them than MS (in theory I guess, maybe MS thinks they have a chance in Japan).

Last edited:
Then this shows how much more demand there is for PS5.
It does not show that either. Because none of console manufacturers send all the possible consoles to the region.
The only thing it shows is that Xbox Series is doing much better than Xbox One despite not having big releases or japanese exclusive games.

Everything else is tied to the limited stock.

Last edited:
It does not show that either. Because none of console manufacturers send all the possible consoles to the region.
The only thing it shows is that Xbox Series is doing much better than Xbox One despite not having big releases or japanese exclusive games.

Everything else is tied to the limited stock.
Then you didn't understand what I wrote.

17 ps4s 17 for a whole country, wow either they all have one that want one, Sony is not manufacturing many if at all or they are too pricey and people may as well get a ps5.

In fact I am going to say a mix of all three. What I don't get though is why is the ps4 so expensive still. Surely with limited manufacturing ability of ps5 Sony would pump out cheaper to produce ps4s on a different node?

Ps1/2/3 all had substantial price drops before and after the next Gen Consoles arrived. Ps4 never did. During the ps5 launch and for a year after they were even hard to find and going for $400+. Used ps4s are still $250+ for decent ones. I guess when you are on top you don't have to do price drop media campaigns with gamer centric ads, exclusives and Kevin butler (for all who remember ps3 slim era).

Switch is a monster. I owned 3, each revision I buy and sell the old one. Better battery life and oled will do that.

JLB

Banned

So you are saying that actually the console with stock problems is xbox, and without this issue it would sell much better?

JLB

Banned
PS5 - 1,703,184
XS - 247,974

About 6x-7x. Supply issues, and Japan likes handhelds and no sex.

Consoles have been on a decline there, so it becomes a logistics needle thread on what to supply with more of the focus abroad due to higher demographics.

Also, maybe, if you pardon me and does not inflict any pain to anybody around here, maybe, just maybe, Xbox is doing better in Japan?

17 ps4s 17 for a whole country, wow either they all have one that want one, Sony is not manufacturing many if at all or they are too pricey and people may as well get a ps5.
That is the answer, for years now they haven't bothered with PS4 in pretty much all markets. It's kind of weird given how almost everything is crossgen and how they could be offering something at a low point of entry to people that can't get a PS5.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Good to see MS making progress there anyway, little by little establishing a presence.
They... aren't. I've seen zero Xbox marketing in Japan. Likely because they are still stung from all their previous attempts.

To put this into context, most media and electronics stores don't even have an Xbox section. Nothing, nada, ziltch. In a big city, one of the big chains might have something hidden in a corner. The PC section will be significantly bigger though.

As for the recent increase in sales of Xbox: I don't know what's caused it, but it's a modest increase that could just be chance and easily covered by online sales alone. Perhaps there was a small surge in people looking for a Minecraft machine or the like?

And it's not like Japan hates Microsoft are anything. The Surface line is very popular, and Windows and Office are all over the place. Minecraft is just insane.

Tams

Gold Member
So you are saying that actually the console with stock problems is xbox, and without this issue it would sell much better?
Nah. They don't even have an Xbox section.

I'd post a photo for you, but it's hard to photograph nothing.

Phil must be seeing these numbers now is the greatest opportunity to gain major ground in Japan
Where is that Sega Purchase at hopefully by next Wednesday

JLB

Banned
Nah. They don't even have an Xbox section.

I'd post a photo for you, but it's hard to photograph nothing.

So you are saying that if those retailers would actually sell Xboxes it would sell a ton more there in JPN?

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
So you are saying that if those retailers would actually sell Xboxes it would sell a ton more there in JPN?
Nah. They don't want to waste the space.

And with that let's put it to bed. It's been nice trolling with you.

reksveks

Having a look at the old Sony assumed currency conversion rates:

USD:JPY = 123 (126 in April, 128 in May, 133 in June)
EUR:JPY = 135 (136 in April, 136 in May, 141 in June)

(being actual values)

Saw that MS revised their Q4 revenue down between 8-10% across their 3 main segments in early June cause of the massive FX change.

Goalus

Saw that MS revised their Q4 revenue down between 8-10% across their 3 main segments in early June cause of the massive FX change.
Speaking about their gaming division, I am pretty sure that MS will comfortably beat their original target despite the strong USD. Hardware numbers and Steam software numbers give me that impression.

reksveks

Speaking about their gaming division, I am pretty sure that MS will comfortably beat their original target despite the strong USD. Hardware numbers and Steam software numbers give me that impression.

Re beating their target, not sure but just talking about the changes in the targets cause of the fx change.

k5Z2Bfd.jpg

It's largely just the impact on revenue and operating incomes. If your revenue guidance is on JPY then it will have a positive impact on that number but not necessarily your operating margins cause that's still going off usd so it changes with the fx.

Currency charts for 6 months.

UEDIxEh.jpg
BiskMC9.jpg
MWU5X48.jpg
OZT547c.jpg

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The impact of Switch in Japan is unlike anything I have ever seen in games. The PS4 was a popular and great console with plenty of big games, but it's not even in the same league sales-wise.

Rykan

These are my exact experiences as well. You can only buy an Xbox console in the major cities. Stores outside major cities don't carry the brand at all. The only Xbox console I've seen here was a used Xbox 360 at a used goods store.

Tams

Gold Member
These are my exact experiences as well. You can only buy an Xbox console in the major cities. Stores outside major cities don't carry the brand at all. The only Xbox console I've seen here was a used Xbox 360 at a used goods store.
Yeah, there isn't even a single Xbox game or accessory in most Japanese stores (even online ones). Used consoles or accessories might pop up very occasionally.

reksveks

Created a quick calculator on the FX change to figure possible impacts.

Using some questionable regional splits and a couple of boring assumptions:
- eu 20%, us 30%, jp 30%, uk 20% (would like to get some proper numbers)
- a fixed bom of 448 usd
- average local sales prices of $499, £449, €499, 49980 JPY

Can see the possible impacts of the FX changes.

M51dKNC.png

Also, maybe, if you pardon me and does not inflict any pain to anybody around here, maybe, just maybe, Xbox is doing better in Japan?
Compared to what? Their worst outing there by far? Sure. It's still a FAR cry from doing 360 numbers.

Jinzo Prime

The Xbox Series S is a small, power efficent console that doesn't take up much space. Same design philosophy as the most recent Nintendo consoles and is exactly what Japanese customers want in a console. I suspect that if MS released some special edition and special colorways of the Series S in Japan, they would have even greater sucsess in that country, as that has long been a way to boost sales there.

Ozzie666

Is Japan gaming overall not caught up in 4K/60FPS/HDR graphics race? I mean the Switch success would imply that and the mobile gaming would also support that. From an outsider seems like a very different type of gaming. I imagine lower expensive games do fairly well, like recent Square switch RPGS etc. Is the Microsoft gamepass message reaching the audience there? is it something Japanese games care about?. Once again the Switch dominance makes it very difficult to read, unless it's just the perfect mobile gaming middle ground or something. Is it the hand held nature of the Switch?, because if so, Microsoft needs to make game pass Steam Deck or Series S (Series P-portable) and strike.

Top Bottom