• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales Week: 20, 2023 (May 08 - May 14)

00./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (+Nintendo eShop Download Version) <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 2.240.000 / NEW

Famitsu Sales: Week 20, 2023 (May 08 - May 14)

SOFTWARE

01./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2023.05.12} (¥7.200) - 1.119.502 / NEW
02./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 9.794 / 5.293.478 (-54%)
03./10. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 7.335 / 2.182.171 (+2%)
04./03. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 6.819 / 426.789 (-62%)
05./04. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 6.420 / 5.028.722 (-53%)
06./01. [PS4] Hogwarts Legacy # <RPG> (WB Games) {2023.05.05} (¥7.980) - 6.384 / 38.302 (-80%)
07./06. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 5.704 / 3.135.953 (-49%)
08./07. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 5.061 / 5.190.681 (-54%)
09./05. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 4.856 / 4.014.693 (-58%)
10./09. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars <ETC> (Nintendo) {2021.10.29} (¥5.980) - 3.746 / 1.230.382 (-57%)

Top 10

NSW - 9
PS4 - 1

HARDWARE

qkGyK6E.jpg

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The Switch is an absolute monster.

9 out of the 10 top 10 are Switch games.

Zelda is now opening on Japan as big as Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest.

And the Switch is clearly on decline, but doing 80k on its 7th year, after all that it has sold, is honestly bananas.

And PS5... fresh off Golden Week, and not a single game in sight. The only PS game there is the recently released PS4(!) version of Hogwarts Legacy. Honestly, PS5 situation in Japan at this point is absolutely disastreous, and I don't see how Sony can't get out of this hole they dug themselves in.

At least PS5 hardware isn't that bad. Its down compared to last week, but that's expected since we are fresh off Golden Week. But PS5 software will be dry until FF XVI, so I don't hold out much hope that they can maintain themselves above 40k. But we'll see.

jm89

And PS5... fresh off Golden Week, and not a single game in sight. The only PS game there is the recently released PS4(!) version of Hogwarts Legacy. Honestly, PS5 situation in Japan at this point is absolutely disastreous, and I don't see how Sony can't get out of this hole they dug themselves in.

At least PS5 hardware isn't that bad. Its down compared to last week, but that's expected since we are fresh off Golden Week. But PS5 software will be dry until FF XVI, so I don't hold out much hope that they can maintain themselves above 40k. But we'll see.
vinyl-records-record-collection.gif

Nautilus

Banned
He never has anything to say about Xboxs numbers though. Just constant whinging about PlayStation. Curious. 🤔
Simple: Xbox presence and sales in Japan has always been shit. And lets be honest: It has been shit for decades. 360 was a time when it had signs that it could be doing something right, but they shat in the bed with the Xone and things have been on this level ever since.

Last year the numbers were interesting and exciting, but then we learned it was Famitsu overestimating and now they are compensating, putting Xbox numbers to the same non-existant level they have always been. So, not interesting to even comment.

What makes me curious is how many here are that defendant of PS5's poor performance in Japan, and how rattled they get when I just state what the numbers show us, which is the non-existant PS5 software in the famitsu charts. And say nothing when I'm negative or positive about Nintendo. Or these people commenting about Nintendo at all.

Mr.Phoenix

And the Switch is clearly on decline, but doing 80k on its 7th year, after all that it has sold, is honestly bananas.

edit...

sorry nvm all that. I just realized and remembered who I was talking to.

My bad, carry on.

Last edited:

smbu2000

So the week with 127k sales was the release of the Zelda oled model then.
Pretty good bump for switch considering it’s age and nearing 30million in Japan.

Great Zelda sales. I thought it would sell similarly to botw, but it shot right out of the gate. I still need to buy a copy for myself to add to one more to these sales.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Just stop. It's not even cute anymore. You just sound like a moron.
I like him, for entertainment purposes. And it's not like he is incorrect or anything. The software situation for PS5 has been troubling since the beginning. If nobody takes notice and pretends everything is great, what value does that have really.

My guess for when the "Switch 2" will hit has always been 2024, but the hardware continues to sell well globally and software sales are ridiculous. Part of me now wonders if Nintendo will target 2025 instead.

People are going to be playing Zelda for a long time. Pikmin is coming out. I'm positive another Pokemon will be out in the next year. They still have remasters and Wii U ports in their back pocket if they need to fill in some gaps. We're still somehow getting new third party titles like Mortal Kombat and Hogwarts.

What's really stopping Nintendo from just coasting into 2025 with a massive stockpile of launch year games? Usually the market dictates when it's time to move on. For now it seems like Nintendo holds all the cards.

Nautilus

Banned
I like him, for entertainment purposes. And it's not like he is incorrect or anything. The software situation for PS5 has been troubling since the beginning. If nobody takes notice and pretends everything is great, what value does that have really.
Love You Superman GIF

Nautilus

Banned
My guess for when the "Switch 2" will hit has always been 2024, but the hardware continues to sell well globally and software sales are ridiculous. Part of me now wonders if Nintendo will target 2025 instead.

People are going to be playing Zelda for a long time. Pikmin is coming out. I'm positive another Pokemon will be out in the next year. They still have remasters and Wii U ports in their back pocket if they need to fill in some gaps. We're still somehow getting new third party titles like Mortal Kombat and Hogwarts.

What's really stopping Nintendo from just coasting into 2025 with a massive stockpile of launch year games? Usually the market dictates when it's time to move on. For now it seems like Nintendo holds all the cards.
This last financial meeting Nintendo, while not saying anything directly, finally started not only to mention that there wouldn't be any hardware this fiscal year, but their Switch projections show a clear decline to the hardware sales. That shows or at least indicates that Nintendo is aware on the need to refresh the generation.

So at this point, I feel like regardless of how the Switch performs in 2023 or how it even performed in 2022(Outside of a catastrophic event like suddenly the Switch selling 5 million instead of the projected 15 millions), Nintendo probably had a release window way back in 2021 for the Switch 2. That was planned in advance probably given how well the hardware performed thus far, and how well all indicators seemed to be pointing that it would do in the following years.

And you forget that there is a very strong chance that Nintendo plans a cross gen period, so that Nintendo feeds off the Switch remaining financial success to fuel and offset any potential loss(or worse performance) that the adoption phase of the Switch 2 might have. Or that it might use the Switch as a entry-level device during the cross gen period.

Last edited:

Woopah

Switch 2023 is now head of Switch 2019, but it will be challenging for it to stay there. Needs some more software to be announced.

Agree with you on software, but its weird to say PS5 hardware "isn't that bad" when it's actually really good.

What's stopping Nintendo from coasting is that hardware, software and profits are all declining.

A successor is needed to restart growth.

Simple: Xbox presence and sales in Japan has always been shit. And lets be honest: It has been shit for decades. 360 was a time when it had signs that it could be doing something right, but they shat in the bed with the Xone and things have been on this level ever since.

Last year the numbers were interesting and exciting, but then we learned it was Famitsu overestimating and now they are compensating, putting Xbox numbers to the same non-existant level they have always been. So, not interesting to even comment.

What makes me curious is how many here are that defendant of PS5's poor performance in Japan, and how rattled they get when I just state what the numbers show us, which is the non-existant PS5 software in the famitsu charts. And say nothing when I'm negative or positive about Nintendo. Or these people commenting about Nintendo at all.
PS5 is doing better than any home console from Sony in almost 20 years...since the PS2.

You sound like a bot at every Famitsu topic with the same thesis week after week on how Sony won't recover and what a disaster everything is. You're not fooling anyone with your trolling.

A few weeks ago when the PS5 was at 30k you were saying it would end up selling the same it was a year ago: around 20k or less. Now that it's 40k per week and it's suddenly a catastrophe anyway.
It's doing good. Sony didn't do anything wrong. Japan simply started to reject home consoles.

Do you think Switch would be this successful as a home console only? Hell no, lmao.

Woopah

PS5 is doing better than any home console from Sony in almost 20 years...since the PS2.

You sound like a bot at every Famitsu topic with the same thesis week after week on how Sony won't recover and what a disaster everything is. You're not fooling anyone with your trolling.

A few weeks ago when the PS5 was at 30k you were saying it would end up selling the same it was a year ago: around 20k or less. Now that it's 40k per week and it's suddenly a catastrophe anyway.
It's doing good. Sony didn't do anything wrong. Japan simply started to reject home consoles.

Do you think Switch would be this successful as a home console only? Hell no, lmao.
Given the sales of PS5 its clear Japan did not reject home consoles.

Sony's issue in Japan is a software one not a format one.

Street Fighter 6 is out in 2 weeks. It was pretty high up on Famitsu's most wanted list. Doesn't strike me as necessarily being a system seller, but could help shift a few units in the run up to FF XVI.

What's stopping Nintendo from coasting is that hardware, software and profits are all declining.

A successor is needed to restart growth.

I still believe 2024 is their plan, but it's interesting that even with the decline that it's able to compete respectably against "next gen" consoles that have hit their stride.

Nautilus

Banned

But is it doing well on the metric that really matters? In other words, the ammount of money it brings in through subscriptions and especially games sales in Japan(And I do mean Japan only, as this is a Famitsu thread, and worldwide the PS5 is killing it)?

I don't think Sony breaks that information down by region, so we don't have official confirmation. But all the data that we have, from Famitsu to Media Create, shows that the PS5 software situation is abysmal, and so the ammount of money PS5 brings in in Japan must be low. And that's why Japan was sidelined by Sony for more than two years, as the potential profits Europe, US and other markets could bring compared to Japan was so much bigger, and there were only so much stock to go around.

I have been telling you that over and over again, but you're not here to analyse the data, you are here to cheer for your favorite Football team. And that's fine, anyone can do whatever they want here, that's the beauty of these threads. But the problem starts when you get irrationally angry at others when they are not cheering at the same things that you are, and instead are more interested trolling or just harrasing others for their interest lying in looking at the number, instead of simply "Company X(Sony) is at the top, and that shit Company Y(MS) that I hate is burning down. Woot!" And that's where I'll never agree with you, nor take any of the baits you keep throwing around every week as a bot that I am trolling.

And to cap it off, yes Switch is being successful as a home console just as much as a handheld console, because it is a hybrid console and people use it as such. If the handheld part of it was what really enticed people(And not its flexible format and its games, which usually is the reason why we all buy gaming consoles), the Switch Lite would be the best selling version BY FAR. But its quite opposite: The Lite has been consistently the worst selling Switch SKU, showing that people are not really interested in a handheld console, but rather on something that can fit better into their lives.Which includes playing the Switch on a TV.

Nautilus

Banned
Street Fighter 6 is out in 2 weeks. It was pretty high up on Famitsu's most wanted list. Doesn't strike me as necessarily being a system seller, but could help shift a few units in the run up to FF XVI.

I still believe 2024 is their plan, but it's interesting that even with the decline that it's able to compete respectably against "next gen" consoles that have hit their stride.
True! Forgot about Street Fighter 6. But it has a PS4 SKU, so I don't think the impact on PS5 will be as big as it could have been.

MrA

Banned
Ps5 baseline seems to be bit above 40k, solid healthy performance their
If switch baselines back to mid 50k totk probably boosted switch 100k, nuts for the switches age, only Nintendo would release a game based special edition console and not pack in the game

SaintALia

Yeah it's still bizarre to me that the hardware is moving units and software barely ticks along. Maybe someone is building some super PS5 AI device or something. Only explanation I can come up with....I also just watched the trailer for The Creator, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah it's still bizarre to me that the hardware is moving units and software barely ticks along. Maybe someone is building some super PS5 AI device or something. Only explanation I can come up with....I also just watched the trailer for The Creator, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.
That reminds me of a story about either the US or Iraq worried about people using PS2s to make super computers by linking them together lol.

But yeah, super weird scenario. This just gives more strenght to the argument that scalpers are buying PS5s in Japan to sell them in China(As Chinese PS5 are region locked and have a limited number of games because of the communist dictatorship there)

drganon

That reminds me of a story about either the US or Iraq worried about people using PS2s to make super computers by linking them together lol.

But yeah, super weird scenario. This just gives more strenght to the argument that scalpers are buying PS5s in Japan to sell them in China(As Chinese PS5 are region locked and have a limited number of games because of the communist dictatorship there)
Christ, you really are beyond fucking ridiculous. 🤣

Oof85

He never has anything to say about Xboxs numbers though. Just constant whinging about PlayStation. Curious. 🤔
Xbox has never been a factor in Japan though, outside of the 360 era where Microsoft put major work in...which didn't hold.

Playstation though?

I sincerely don't understand why people get so tight at brehs weekly diagnosis on the Japanese domestic market.

Nothing he's ever said is really wrong, just clearly unwelcome to people's eyes/ears apparently.

Sony isn't doing too good in Japan, considering what they used to mean to the market.
Nintendo is resurgent after the debacle of the WiiU.

And yes, all eyes are on FF16 to see what it does, in light of other high profile releases and the significant game design changes that the ip is undergoing.
And yes, even in Japan people are anxious for the next generation Switch model.

Woopah

Yes they are still competitng pretty well in Japan, North America and Europe.

As an aside, I wouldn't expect too much from Street Fighter VI since SFV did 116,597 lifetime in Japan physically.
It's higher than the previous two massive launches

Splatoon 3 opened with 1.93 million physical and 3.45 million total, digital ratio 44%
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet opened with 2.54 million physical and 4.05 million total, digital ratio 37%
Thsoe games have lower digital ratios because they cost 1,000 yen less.
But is it doing well on the metric that really matters? In other words, the ammount of money it brings in through subscriptions and especially games sales in Japan(And I do mean Japan only, as this is a Famitsu thread, and worldwide the PS5 is killing it)?

I don't think Sony breaks that information down by region, so we don't have official confirmation. But all the data that we have, from Famitsu to Media Create, shows that the PS5 software situation is abysmal, and so the ammount of money PS5 brings in in Japan must be low. And that's why Japan was sidelined by Sony for more than two years, as the potential profits Europe, US and other markets could bring compared to Japan was so much bigger, and there were only so much stock to go around.

I have been telling you that over and over again, but you're not here to analyse the data, you are here to cheer for your favorite Football team. And that's fine, anyone can do whatever they want here, that's the beauty of these threads. But the problem starts when you get irrationally angry at others when they are not cheering at the same things that you are, and instead are more interested trolling or just harrasing others for their interest lying in looking at the number, instead of simply "Company X(Sony) is at the top, and that shit Company Y(MS) that I hate is burning down. Woot!" And that's where I'll never agree with you, nor take any of the baits you keep throwing around every week as a bot that I am trolling.

And to cap it off, yes Switch is being successful as a home console just as much as a handheld console, because it is a hybrid console and people use it as such. If the handheld part of it was what really enticed people(And not its flexible format and its games, which usually is the reason why we all buy gaming consoles), the Switch Lite would be the best selling version BY FAR. But its quite opposite: The Lite has been consistently the worst selling Switch SKU, showing that people are not really interested in a handheld console, but rather on something that can fit better into their lives.Which includes playing the Switch on a TV.
People say you are concern trolling because you always focus on the negatives for Sony. Even when their hardware sales are very good.

I mean, the PS5 baseline is actually more than double your expectations right now. And you are saying they are "not too bad". Do you think you'd be saying Switch sales are "not too bad" if it was selling double your predictions?

Woopah

Sony hasn't sold much software for several years. It didn't start with the PS5. It was already a thing with the PS4, and to some degree with the PS3.
In a way, but there is a noticeable drop with PS5. The PS4 and PS3 software sales were fairly robust and made sense with the amount of hardware sold.

If you comapre PS5 to PS4 its selling much more hardware but much less software.

Nautilus

Banned
People say you are concern trolling because you always focus on the negatives for Sony. Even when their hardware sales are very good.

I mean, the PS5 baseline is actually more than double your expectations right now. And you are saying they are "not too bad". Do you think you'd be saying Switch sales are "not too bad" if it was selling double your predictions?
Maybe I should have worded it like "40k is good, but nothing outlandish" instead as not too bad(as people here tend to get too hung up on the small details), considering the next few weeks are going to be slow as only the big release before FF XVI is Street Fighter 6(which has a PS4 version) and considering that RE 4 Remake didn't move the needle that much, I don't expect much of it either.

Woopah

Maybe I should have worded it like "40k is good, but nothing outlandish" instead as not too bad(as people here tend to get too hung up on the small details), considering the next few weeks are going to be slow as only the big release before FF XVI is Street Fighter 6(which has a PS4 version) and considering that RE 4 Remake didn't move the needle that much, I don't expect much of it either.
Why not just say "40k is great" without any qualification? I mean, you've been expecting it to decline to around 20k for weeks now and its not done so. If something is selling twice as much as expected that counts as outlandish to me.

PS5 hardware is consistently performing way way better than your expectations, so I'd think you be as positive about the hardware sales each week as you are negative about the software sales.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Why not just say "40k is great" without any qualification? I mean, you've been expecting it to decline to around 20k for weeks now and its not done so. If something is selling twice as much as expected that counts as outlandish to me.

PS5 hardware is consistently performing way way better than your expectations, so I'd think you be as positive about the hardware sales each week as you are negative about the software sales.
And why can't I say the way I say it? Even with the slight exagerations or mistakes here and there, that every human being does? I don't understand the qualm you're having with how I say stuff versus the content of what I said

Nautilus Nautilus likes to ignore reality.

Everyone wants to compare against the PlayStation 2, except the PS2 was very much an exception because so many people bought it as a cheap DVD player. It sold about 5 million more than the PS1 which was excellent in its own right.

20 million is the real highwater mark for consoles (not 25 million of the PS2).

PS1 sold 19.4 million
NES sold 19.35 million
SNES sold 17.1 million

PS5 will ultimately land somewhere between 12-15 million units, which will be their 3rd best selling console of all time. Certainly not dire.

Software was always an interesting one in Japan. Outside of major titles. Only with a healthy install base will you see million sellers in Japan and that's largely limited to Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Onimusha, Monster Hunter, and to a degree Resident Evil.

Nautilus Nautilus also doesn't know how many people are buying digital. 1 out of every 7 PS5s sold are digital only and on top of that you're probably looking at least 50% of software sales going digital. In some reasons its as high as 70% digital on consoles. He knows that people are buying hardware, but he thinks they aren't playing any games and denies that they could be buying digital. He knows that the first major new title release of the year is going to be FF16, but he ignores this.

Woopah

And why can't I say the way I say it? Even with the slight exagerations or mistakes here and there, that every human being does? I don't understand the qualm you're having with how I say stuff versus the content of what I said
I'm explaining why you have mutiple people complaining about your posts every week, and its because you apply a negative filter to all the Sony results.

The PS5 continues it's downward trend. Probably it still gonna take a few months until we see it's true baseline. It should estabilize next week due to Golden Week until it resumes it's downward trend.

Regardless, it doesn't look like 30k will be it's baseline. But like I said, we are a few months from knowing for sure.

I think we can also safely say that the PS5 won't surprass the Switch this year in terms of sales, which is to be expected.

RE4 Remake decline is worse than I thought. But it's doing well worldwide, so it's fine. Franchises will only find a good foothold in Japan when they launch in a Nintendo hardware, and the Switch 2 should launch in a year or so. So things should improve soon enough.

Other than that, there is nothing really noteworthy.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/famitsu-week-14-2023-mar-27-apr-02.1655090/post-267801497

Here you thought it would drop below 30K a week now it's consistently above 40K but somehow this is dire?

The reality is that with the PS5 slim and a possible (though doubtful price drop) the PS5 could sell considerably more units this year. That combined with Street Fighter 6 and others... possibly even FF7RP2.

Top Bottom