• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales Week 52, 2022: Pokemon Scarlet & Violet still top

As we wait for new numbers, what are people's expectations for 2023?

Hardware-wise I expect we'll see Switch continue to decline, and PS5 grow (possibly by quite a bit as shortages are coming to an end).

In terms of software, Nintendo releases look very strong from what we know already (starting with FE: Engage) but I'm a bit worried about third party. There's not too many big Switch third party sellers dated yet, though of course a Direct could change that.

PS5 on the other hand looks like it will have its best year for third party support so far. Will be interesting to see the impact on its total software sales.

This feels like a winding down year for the Switch, unless Nintendo come out and announce a bunch of new releases for the 2nd half of the year I feel like Zelda is their last big hurrah this generation.

I can’t imagine a big 3D mario, mario kart or Metroid Prime 4 dropping on the switch. They’ll need those big releases to push the next console.

Playstation will continue to have underwhelming software sales in Japan unless the scalping slows down. Hopefully Sony can flood the market enough to make it not matter much. FF16 will probably do above average, similar to elden ring in japan but its big sales will come from europe/us, same with street fighter, silent hill, monster hunter, etc. The hardware numbers will continue to improve and possibly match PS4’s

Xbox will probably continue to flat line in japan. It seems like demand has been met a while ago for series S consoles.

Last edited:

Woopah

This feels like a winding down year for the Switch, unless Nintendo come out and announce a bunch of new releases for the 2nd half of the year I feel like Zelda is their last big hurrah this generation.

I can’t imagine a big 3D mario, mario kart or Metroid Prime 4 dropping on the switch. They’ll need those big releases to push the next console.

Playstation will continue to have underwhelming software sales in Japan unless the scalping slows down. Hopefully Sony can flood the market enough to make it not matter much. FF16 will probably do above average, similar to elden ring in japan but its big sales will come from europe/us, same with street fighter, silent hill, monster hunter, etc. The hardware numbers will continue to improve and possibly match PS4’s

Xbox will probably continue to flat line in japan. It seems like demand has been met a while ago for series S consoles.
Currently we know next to nothing about Switch's 2nd of 2023 from either first party or third party perspective. It could get very little and we see Switch wind down quite a bit, or we could see big games like the DQIII remake and a new Tomodachi dated for Switch and then the hardware decline would be more gradual.

Agree with your assessments of PlayStation and Xbox.

Currently we know next to nothing about Switch's 2nd of 2023 from either first party or third party perspective. It could get very little and we see Switch wind down quite a bit, or we could see big games like the DQIII remake and a new Tomodachi dated for Switch and then the hardware decline would be more gradual.

Agree with your assessments of PlayStation and Xbox.

Even if Nintendo have some good games coming for the 2nd half i don’t see them going through 2024 with the switch, not with big titles like the next Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest 12 on the horizon. They’re gonna have to put out some hardware to appease their third party partners.

It be in Nintendo best interest to not let the hype fizzle out again like they did with the Wii to Wii U transition

Woopah

Even if Nintendo have some good games coming for the 2nd half i don’t see them going through 2024 with the switch, not with big titles like the next Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest 12 on the horizon. They’re gonna have to put out some hardware to appease their third party partners.

It be in Nintendo best interest to not let the hype fizzle out again like they did with the Wii to Wii U transition
Agreed, I absolutely think we'll see the Switch 2 out before the end of 2024. However I would also expect a cross gen period between Switch and Switch 2, similar to PS4 / PS5.

Top Bottom