• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Week 12, 2023 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

Nautilus

Banned
The jump to HD with the PS3 was the big driver for handhelds. Development costs for third parties skyrocketed and the DS / PSP offered a much cheaper alternative.

Guessing this was supposed to be a reply to me? When I think cartoony artstyle I think Mario or Kirby, Octopath looks nothing like that. It's a an evolution of the artstyle used in SNES RPGs.

I don't think the button layout change or loss of Japan Studio has had any significant impact on PS5 hardware sales.

Skipping Switch has hurt third parties, but even being on Switch wouldn't / doesn't make franchises like Final Fantasy and Dynasty Warriors as strong as they were on PS1 / PS2.
Maybe not, but not being there means you are forfeiting 90% of the potential costumer base in Japan.

At least for games like FF XVI, I get why. You want it to be a graphical showcase, but also be on the Switch, but you can't have both.I get it. But hopefully that also means that, for Nintendo's 10th gen, they will be there, since the power difference will be hopefully small enough to be insignificant(for games to run properly, I mean).

nial

Gold Member
Didn't they also greatly diminished team Asano dev size?
Team Asano is Square, wtf. If you mean Team Asobi, not really, it's bigger than before.
But then, I wonder: Outside of Asano's Playroom, how many games have they developed?
The Playroom and The Playroom VR, which are free pack-ins. Their only commercial game has been Astro Bot Rescue Mission, a PSVR exclusive, and they're working on their biggest project yet, which if it's a TV game and has a great marketing push from Sony, it could have a big success in Japan due to the cute and casual aspect of Astro Bot and its tight controls.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Team Asano is Square, wtf. If you mean Team Asobi, not really, it's bigger than before.

The Playroom and TPVR, which are free pack-ins. Their only commercial game has been Astro Bot Rescue Mission, a PSVR exclusive, and they're working on their biggest project yet, which if it's a TV game and has a great marketing push from Sony, it could have a big success in Japan due to the cute and casual aspect of the game and its tight controls.
Yes, its Team Asobi. They are far too similar lol.

But yeah, that's what I have been saying. 3 games, from which 2 are pack-ins in a span of what, 4 years?Compared to dozens of western leaning games made to appeal to countries or continents like US and Europe, it's obvious why Japan has fallen off PS.

And the sad thing is that Astro's Playroom is a great game, showing that the japanese branch always had potential, they just needed to pick the right genre and have some talents on the team.

But one game every 4/5 years won't change Sony's fate in Japan. Unless its a Splatoon or Super Mario 64 kind of megahit, but I doubt it.

nial

Gold Member
Yes, its Team Asobi. They are far too similar lol.

But yeah, that's what I have been saying. 3 games, from which 2 are pack-ins in a span of what, 4 years?Compared to dozens of western leaning games made to appeal to countries or continents like US and Europe, it's obvious why Japan has fallen off PS.

And the sad thing is that Astro's Playroom is a great game, showing that the japanese branch always had potential, they just needed to pick the right genre and have some talents on the team.

But one game every 4/5 years won't change Sony's fate in Japan. Unless its a Splatoon or Super Mario 64 kind of megahit, but I doubt it.
I understand your reasoning, but I would say it's a bit too early to tell about Sony's Japanese output this gen given their XDev expansion. Also, I trust Team Asobi with delivering games pretty fast, they developed Astro Bot Rescue Mission in just 18 months with a team of like 40 people.

Nautilus

Banned
I understand your reasoning, but I would say it's a bit too early to tell about Sony's Japanese output this gen given their XDev expansion. Also, I trust Team Asobi with delivering games pretty fast, they developed Astro Bot Rescue Mission in just 18 months with a team of like 40 people.
Considering their recent purchase of Bungie and how they are focusing on GAAS for the next few years, I have zero faith that they will make games that appeal more to japanese, or have more japanese teams like Asobi in the future. But I guess we will see.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Considering their recent purchase of Bungie and how they are focusing on GAAS for the next few years
I mean, it's more like a diversification of their portfolio than anything else, they also want to expand the number of their SP projects.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, it's more like a diversification of their portfolio than anything else, they also want to expand the number of their SP projects.
Hope that's the case. I'm rather skeptic when it comes to companies though. But here's hoping for the best.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Switch back on top, despite saturation.

It's a tight market. I'm not ready to give up on PS5 at all. It will continue to drive momentum. If sales are down again next week you guys can hand me my ass.

I'm kidding

In what way?
How little the games need to sell to now top the charts.

It's healthy, it's just that Sony gave up trying to make an appealing product for it.

But Nintendo is doing the work for everyone by themselves.
It's not healthy at all. Japan used to be the Mecca for consoles and developers, now its mobile central. I believe that's had a direct impact on the number of Japanese developers who have the funds and capacity to make AAA games on the consoles. Still, SEGA is still around so not all bad

Last edited:

Woopah

Maybe not, but not being there means you are forfeiting 90% of the potential costumer base in Japan.

At least for games like FF XVI, I get why. You want it to be a graphical showcase, but also be on the Switch, but you can't have both.I get it. But hopefully that also means that, for Nintendo's 10th gen, they will be there, since the power difference will be hopefully small enough to be insignificant(for games to run properly, I mean).
I think we'll see better support from Capcom and Team Ninja with more power in Switch 2. But I don't think power is the reason for the lack of support from Bandai Namco Studios or Rya Ga Gotoku, so I expect no change from them.

The big question mark for me is Atlus, and how they will react to the sales of Soul Hackers 2 and the Persona ports.
Considering their recent purchase of Bungie and how they are focusing on GAAS for the next few years, I have zero faith that they will make games that appeal more to japanese, or have more japanese teams like Asobi in the future. But I guess we will see.
Apex Legends and Fortnite seem to be popular in Japan, some of Sony's GAAS games could help them in the Japan market.

Woopah

It's not healthy at all. Japan used to be the Mecca for consoles and developers, now its mobile central. I believe that's had a direct impact on the number of Japanese developers who have the funds and capacity to make AAA games on the consoles. Still, SEGA is still around so not all bad
Which countries do you think have higher software sales in their weekly charts?

Mobile is big in Japan like everywhere else, but it hasn't prevented software for dedicated gaming devices also being strong.

Nautilus

Banned

And how come a hybrid console like the Switch is currently the third best selling console of all time in Japan? And on its way to become number 1?

And how does ( a lot of) games released on it manage to find a healthy success on the Switch?

This excuse is old and tired by now, used by people who can't come to terms that Sony is failing in Japan due to their own faults.

Nautilus

Banned
Which countries do you think have higher software sales in their weekly charts?

Mobile is big in Japan like everywhere else, but it hasn't prevented software for dedicated gaming devices also being strong.
Yeah, people think that 1 year old game still sells like 100k every week on a single country. And doesn't think like this: "Wait, if it did 10k on Japan, it could also have done 10k on US and 10k on Europe, and then you add an extra 10k for the rest of the world and that title, which is 2+ year old at this point, did more than 40k on a single random week." and doesn't realize how good that number is.

And how come a hybrid console like the Switch is currently the third best selling console of all time in Japan? And on its way to become number 1?

And how does ( a lot of) games released on it manage to find a healthy success on the Switch?

This excuse is old and tired by now, used by people who can't come to terms that Sony is failing in Japan due to their own faults.
People like you endlessly defending Japan get's old, Ninetndo also does well in Japan (bring up the N64 if you must) and given Japan is mobile central and the Switch is NCL's handheld in all but name, it always going to do well

I remember when Japan not just had a vibrant games market but was also a leader in tech and behind most of the big-budget AAA games. One also needs to look at how far behind the west in terms of tech or how games look from Japan to see the slide. Only really Capcom has the game engine to match the west. Japan is far behind the glory days of the 16 BiT, 32-Bit and PS2/XBox era IMO. The days when almost any game from a main Japanese developer had eye poping visuals and the days when one used to say only the Japanese could make a game that looked that or good or played that well.

Anway back to RE4 ;)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ps5 will be top again next week. Serious.

No way China has all the ps5s they need yet....

/joke

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

i think Sony struggling in Japan because the PS5 is not portable console.
I dont think that makes much differences in console sales in Japan, assuming Sony going for unique games again like during the PS2-PS3 era.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
People like you endlessly defending Japan get's old, Ninetndo also does well in Japan (bring up the N64 if you must) and given Japan is mobile central and the Switch is NCL's handheld in all but name, it always going to do well

I remember when Japan not just had a vibrant games market but was also a leader in tech and behind most of the big-budget AAA games. One also needs to look at how far behind the west in terms of tech or how games look from Japan to see the slide. Only really Capcom has the game engine to match the west. Japan is far behind the glory days of the 16 BiT, 32-Bit and PS2/XBox era IMO. The days when almost any game from a main Japanese developer had eye poping visuals and the days when one used to say only the Japanese could make a game that looked that or good or played that well.

Anway back to RE4 ;)
We have data/confirmation by Nintendo themselves that half of the japanese players use the Switch in its docked mode, meaning they play it as if its any regular home console. For further evidence, you just have to look at whats the most popular Switch version is being sold, which is the hybrid one.And not the exclusively handheld one, bursting your "Japan is mobile centric" theory to shreds.

Honestly, it's freaking tiring this same old excuse you guys made up just to explain why your favorite console is failing on Japan. Mobile is just as popular, if not more, outside of Japan. People prefering mobile games is not a japanese thing, and its certainly not because they have tiny apartments(lol), its just that Sony doesn't have games that japanese find compeling, and third parties that often thrive on PS are also making games that focus more on the west rather than Japan(Because you know, the rest of the world is bigger than Japan). You just have to look at FF XVI to understand what I'm saying.

But you seem one of those guys that thinks that the central thing that makes a game great and next gen is graphics and performance and those tech stuff, just by your answer of thinking that Capcom is the only japanese dev worthy of attention, so I don't even think you would understand the more subtle reasons why the Switch, which is a console played both as home console and portable, is finding success there, and the PS5, that have a mostly western centric library, doesn't.

Nautilus

Banned
I dont think that makes much differences in console sales in Japan, assuming Sony going for unique games again like during the PS2-PS3 era.
It has nothing to do with it being a home console. That is an excuse people use to deflect the real reason that Sony is failing in Japan. Half the Switch owners in Japan use the Switch in docked mode, and the majority of the Switch sold is the hybrid model, which is far more expensive than the exclusively portable one. Its because Sony, and the main third parties that develop for it, stopped making games that especifically appeal to the japanese audience. As the PS5 library now mainly consists of western focused games.

And Nintendo kept developing games for everyone, and over the years, the japanese focused devs all migrated to Nintendo. That's whats happening.

We have data/confirmation by Nintendo themselves that half of the japanese players use the Switch in its docked mode, meaning they play it as if its any regular home console. For further evidence, you just have to look at whats the most popular Switch version is being sold, which is the hybrid one.And not the exclusively handheld one, bursting your "Japan is mobile centric" theory to shreds.

Honestly, it's freaking tiring this same old excuse you guys made up just to explain why your favorite console is failing on Japan. Mobile is just as popular, if not more, outside of Japan. People prefering mobile games is not a japanese thing, and its certainly not because they have tiny apartments(lol), its just that Sony doesn't have games that japanese find compeling, and third parties that often thrive on PS are also making games that focus more on the west rather than Japan(Because you know, the rest of the world is bigger than Japan). You just have to look at FF XVI to understand what I'm saying.

But you seem one of those guys that thinks that the central thing that makes a game great and next gen is graphics and performance and those tech stuff, just by your answer of thinking that Capcom is the only japanese dev worthy of attention, so I don't even think you would understand the more subtle reasons why the Switch, which is a console played both as home console and portable, is finding success there, and the PS5, that have a mostly western centric library, doesn't.
Its Japan, it's mobile and if you actually knew anything about me you'll know that the PSV is far from my fav console.
I was just the person who grew up when Japan was showing most of the world how it was done for games and stunning looking games, that the west could only dream of matching, when japanese developers could support the handheld/mobile sector but also the main console sector with AAA games and amazing looking games.

Still, what comes around comes around. Japan will have their time again and SEGA will once again rise from it's grave

lh032

It has nothing to do with it being a home console. That is an excuse people use to deflect the real reason that Sony is failing in Japan. Half the Switch owners in Japan use the Switch in docked mode, and the majority of the Switch sold is the hybrid model, which is far more expensive than the exclusively portable one. Its because Sony, and the main third parties that develop for it, stopped making games that especifically appeal to the japanese audience. As the PS5 library now mainly consists of western focused games.

And Nintendo kept developing games for everyone, and over the years, the japanese focused devs all migrated to Nintendo. That's whats happening.
i believe the reason why they love the switch because the switch can be portable or docked anytime, which the PS5 cant do.
Assuming your number is correct, half of people using the switch just for portable is already a major win

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Its Japan, it's mobile and if you actually knew anything about me you'll know that the PSV is far from my fav console.
I was just the person who grew up when Japan was showing most of the world how it was done for games and stunning looking games, that the west could only dream of matching, when japanese developers could support the handheld/mobile sector but also the main console sector with AAA games and amazing looking games.

Still, what comes around comes around. Japan will have their time again and SEGA will once again rise from it's grave
Japanese games are on its prime, and many japanese games are breaking sales records.

So with all due respect, but they are failing only in your own metrics.

Nautilus

Banned
i believe the reason why they love the switch because the switch can be portable or docked anytime, which the PS5 cant do.
Assuming your number is correct, half of people using the switch just for portable is already a major win
Well, being a hybrid is a win anywhere not just Japan. That's just Nintendo adapting to the changing market, not just using its strenght.

But yeah, people are using it a home console. So if the PS5 was more of a compelling hardware, it might not reach Switch numbers, but maybe it would reverse its downward spiral its been on for over a decade.

jm89

That's pretty much what I thought it would hover around. 40k-50k for quite periods and maybe hitting the 90k+ range for when big titles release.

TLZ

Banned
Oh nice Switch sales dropping more. I hope the slump gets bigger and bigger so we get the Switch 2 soon.

Nautilus

Banned
Oh nice Switch sales dropping more. I hope the slump gets bigger and bigger so we get the Switch 2 soon.
Nintendo almost certainly already has a plan in place. The Switch selling better or worse now probably won't affect such plan(Given that a plan like that has to account for the Switch 2 games release dates, third party releases, etc)

TLZ

Banned
Nintendo almost certainly already has a plan in place. The Switch selling better or worse now probably won't affect such plan(Given that a plan like that has to account for the Switch 2 games release dates, third party releases, etc)
Certainly they do. What I'm hoping is if they planned it for March '24 (which is what I expect anyway), maybe a bigger slump in sales more than what they expected would push them to change plans and release this holiday. Just being hopeful.

Nautilus

Banned
Certainly they do. What I'm hoping is if they planned it for March '24 (which is what I expect anyway), maybe a bigger slump in sales more than what they expected would push them to change plans and release this holiday. Just being hopeful.
If they had a Wii U scenario with the Switch maybe. But even than, even during goid chunk of 2015 and 2016, the first party side of the Wii U was HORRENDOUS, but Nintendo just rode that ride until they were confident with the release of the Switch.

Plus, we are almost at April. These plans are enourmous and can't be changed like that in a matter of months. I can see something changing from holiday 2024 to Summer or Spring 2024, but not 2024 to this holiday, because there would be too little time to prepare.

Woopah

Anway back to RE4 ;)
Switch's success has nothing to do with mobile. People enjoying free-to-play games on a phone doesn't automatically mean they will enjoy Zelda, Splatoon, Smash Bros. and Ring Fit.

Now you are correct to say that Japan did not handle the jump to HD as well as Western devs, and they don't have the advantage over the Western devs that that used to. I don't think anyone can argue that.

Bu that doesn't mean that Japan is a "joke". The market there is strong and growing, and Japanese developers are putting out several commercial and critically games, of varying different sizes and budgets.

Switch is popular in Japan for the same reason as its popular in other countries, because of software.

Take France for example. Switch will outsell the PS4 and PS5 there, but its not because "France loves mobile" or because "the PS4 isn't portable". Its because France, like Japan, is a market where Nintendo is by far the most popular publisher.

Yes Switch's hybrid nature does help it be successful, but that is the case globally and not Japan-specific. A portable version of the PS5 would not help it substantially in Japan if it had the same line-up as the PS5.

lh032

Switch's success has nothing to do with mobile. People enjoying free-to-play games on a phone doesn't automatically mean they will enjoy Zelda, Splatoon, Smash Bros. and Ring Fit.

Now you are correct to say that Japan did not handle the jump to HD as well as Western devs, and they don't have the advantage over the Western devs that that used to. I don't think anyone can argue that.

Bu that doesn't mean that Japan is a "joke". The market there is strong and growing, and Japanese developers are putting out several commercial and critically games, of varying different sizes and budgets.

Switch is popular in Japan for the same reason as its popular in other countries, because of software.

Take France for example. Switch will outsell the PS4 and PS5 there, but its not because "France loves mobile" or because "the PS4 isn't portable". Its because France, like Japan, is a market where Nintendo is by far the most popular publisher.

Yes Switch's hybrid nature does help it be successful, but that is the case globally and not Japan-specific. A portable version of the PS5 would not help it substantially in Japan if it had the same line-up as the PS5.
im not sure about that though, the Wii U fails, software didnt help.
Im pretty sure portability helps alot

Woopah

im not sure about that though, the Wii U fails, software didnt help.
Im pretty sure portability helps alot
Its the same reason though. Wii U did poorly in both France and Japan, not because of a lack of portability but because of a lack of software.

When it comes to the list of reasons why the Wii U failed, the fact that it wasn't a portable isn't one of them. It would be like saying the PS Vita failed because it wasn't a stationary console.

Things like portability, graphics and online infrastructure can help, but software is the key reason for a platform's success.

Last edited:

John Wick

Holy shit, even I didn't expect a drop this big for this week.

PS5 is down for the third consecutive week, and is down 40% compared to the previous week, and down 55% compared to it's peak this year(around 90k).

This is further evidence that the pent up demand is being met, and we are getting closer to the real demand. This also shows that whoever thought that 90k was the baseline was just delusional.

The PS5 should, however, get a boost in sales next week due to the launch of RE 4 Remake. If it doesn't well, then the PS5 is in more trouble than I thought.

The Switch is also down, which is a bit dissapointing, but it is in it's 7th year, so saturation is hitting it heavy. So understandable.

I'm really happy to see that OT 2 is still hanging in there. Hopefully the legs make up for the weaker launch.
This guy seriously needs help. Him acting surprised like home consoles aren't massive sellers in Japan anymore is embarassing. Try harder next time.

Unknown?

PS5 did this well with the lack of stock everywhere in Japan?! Just wait till they flood the markets! Back to 90k.

Last edited:

Brucey

In the absence of Henry Panic, perhaps one of our Japanese members can give us the pulse of stock levels there? Lest it be alleged that Sony are continuing to ship 90k units per week and they are just gathering dust in big stacks in stores and warehouses as that growth rate goes backwards.

Woopah

In the absence of Henry Panic, perhaps one of our Japanese members can give us the pulse of stock levels there? Lest it be alleged that Sony are continuing to ship 90k units per week and they are just gathering dust in big stacks in stores and warehouses as that growth rate goes backwards.
Supply issues for PS5 are almost solved now, but yes Henry Panic's maths made no sense.

Woopah

Top 30 is out. Kirby, eBaseball and Taiko are back!

01./01. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 25.201 / 308.945 <80-100%> (-22%)
02./02. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 15.306 / 4.944.593 <80-100%> (-27%)
03./03. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 12.100 / 3.946.727 <80-100%> (-24%)
04./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 9.245 / 5.203.335 <80-100%> (-11%)
05./11. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 6.672 / 3.074.692 <80-100%> (-10%)
06./00. [NSW] Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.03.17} (¥5.980) - 6.474 / NEW <40-60%>
07./08. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy # <RPG> (WB Games) {2023.02.10} (¥8.980) - 5.622 / 154.174 <80-100%> (-38%)
08./12. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 5.507 / 103.666 <80-100%> (-2%)
09./10. [NSW] Octopath Traveler II <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.02.24} (¥7.091) - 4.707 / 80.526 <60-80%> (-39%)
10./14. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 4.289 / 5.145.376 <80-100%> (-10%)
11./16. [NSW] Ark: Survival Evolved <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2023.02.24} (¥3.800) - 3.763 / 27.447 <60-80%> (-8%)
12./09. [PS5] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.03} (¥7.800) - 3.717 / 42.260 <80-100%> (-56%)
13./18. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars <ETC> (Nintendo) {2021.10.29} (¥5.980) - 3.413 / 1.195.295 <80-100%> (-9%)
14./23. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980) - 2.786 / 7.444.577 <80-100%> (-2%)
15./20. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980) - 2.732 / 3.363.835 <80-100%> (-20%)
16./17. [PS5] Wild Hearts <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2023.02.17} (¥8.818) - 2.489 / 45.475 <80-100%> (-37%)
17./25. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980) - 2.429 / 1.099.323 <80-100%> (-2%)
18./21. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 2.272 / 2.149.826 <80-100%> (-29%)
19./13. [PS4] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.03} (¥7.800) - 2.183 / 24.883 <60-80%> (-56%)
20./28. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! <TBL> (Konami) {2020.11.19} (¥6.300) - 2.106 / 2.856.745 <80-100%> (-8%)
21./00. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.03.25} (¥5.980) - 1.964 / 1.009.100 <80-100%> (+5%)
22./04. [NSW] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.09} (¥5.800) - 1.906 / 12.618 <40-60%> (-82%)
23./22. [PS4] Like a Dragon: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2023.02.22} (¥6.990) - 1.899 / 46.668 <80-100%> (-38%)
24./27. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 # <RCE> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2022.03.04} (¥7.900) - 1.892 / 298.945 <80-100%> (-19%)
25./00. [NSW] eBaseball Power Pros 2022 <SPT> (Konami) {2022.04.21} (¥7.500) - 1.855 / 257.957 <80-100%>
26./29. [NSW] Metroid Prime Remastered <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.03.03} (¥3.980) - 1.522 / 11.758 <80-100%> (-33%)
27./00. [NSW] Stranger of Sword City Revisited <RPG> (Experience) {2023.03.16} (¥2.900) - 1.511 / NEW <60-80%>
28./00. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival <ACT> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2022.09.22} (¥5.980) - 1.496 / 161.843 <80-100%> (-1%)
29./00. [NSW] FIFA 23: Legacy Edition <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2022.09.30} (¥3.909) - 1.452 / 96.249 <80-100%>
30./30. [PS5] Like a Dragon: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2023.02.22} (¥6.990) - 1.408 / 39.057 <60-80%> (-34%)

Orbital2060

From InstallBase

Famitsu Top 50 2023 (Unofficial Ranking)
  1. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet (Pokemon Co) - 605.662
  2. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Nintendo) - 308.945
  3. [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo) - 258.913
  4. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Engage (Nintendo) - 203.326
  5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - 188.960
  6. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy (Warner) - 154.174
  7. [NSW] Switch Sports (Nintendo) - 142.944
  8. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft) - 114.686
  9. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo) - 81.163
  10. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 (Sony) - 80.932
  11. [NSW] Octopath Traveler II (Square Enix) - 80.526
  12. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) - 80.185
  13. [NSW] Dragon Quest Treasures (Square Enix) - 76.337
  14. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) – 73.812
  15. [NSW] Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life (Marvelous) - 60.443
  16. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) - 50.373
  17. [PS4] Like a Dragon: Ishin! (Sega) - 46.668
  18. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival (Bandai Namco) - 46.592
  19. [PS4] One Piece: Odyssey (Bandai Namco) - 45.173
  20. [PS5] Wild Hearts (Electronic Arts) - 45.475
  21. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) – 44.952
  22. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) - 44.436
  23. [PS5] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (Koei Tecmo) - 42.260
  24. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo) - 40.053
  25. [PS5] Like a Dragon: Ishin! (Sega) - 39.057
  26. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) - 35.705
  27. [PS5] Forspoken (Square Enix) - 35.056
  28. [PS5] One Piece: Odyssey (Bandai Namco) - 34.120
  29. [NSW] FIFA 23: Legacy Edition (Electronic Arts) - 31.784
  30. [NSW] Ark: Survival Evolved (Spike Chunsoft) - 27.447
  31. [NSW] Tales of Symphonia Remastered (Bandai Namco) - 25.633
  32. [PS4] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (Koei Tecmo) - 24.883
  33. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl (Pokemon Co) - 23.084
  34. [PS5] Octopath Traveler II (Square Enix) - 21.188
  35. [NSW] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (Square Enix) - 19.974
  36. [NSW] Rune Factory 3 Special (Marvelous) - 19.141
  37. [PS5] Horizon Forbidden West (Sony) - 19.043
  38. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 [Special Price] (Sega) - 18.725
  39. [NSW] Ace Angler: Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 18.360
  40. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo) - 17.751
  41. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (Nintendo) - 16.115
  42. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo) - 15.877
  43. [NSW] Fitness Boxing: Fist of the North Star (Imagineer) - 14.648
  44. [NSW] Disgaea 7 (Nippon Ichi) - 14.603
  45. [NSW] Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (Square Enix) - 14.295
  46. [NSW] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 13.741
  47. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak (Capcom) - 13.291
  48. [NSW] Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 13.103
  49. [NSW] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (Koei Tecmo) - 12.618
  50. [PS4] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (Square Enix) - 11.881

Software YTD compared with 2022:

W12 2022
NSW - 38
PS4 - 7
PS5 - 5

TOTAL: 5.602.295
NSW: 4.751.142 (84.8%)
PS4: 563.047 (10.5%)
PS5: 288.106 (5.1%)
W12 2023
NSW - 37
PS5 - 9
PS4 - 4

TOTAL: 3.468.113
NSW: 2.868.203 (82.7%)
PS5: 471.305 (13.6%)
PS4: 128.605(3.7%)

Woopah

From InstallBase

Software YTD compared with 2022:

W12 2023
Good to see PS5 software growing, though its not offsetting the decline in PS4 yet. PS software would have done better without Hogwarts PS4 being delayed, though it'll get a boost next week with RE4R.

Switch software also down by a lot. Much of that gap is due to Arceus, but clearly Switch software is passed its peak. Though again the software will recover in Q2 with TOTK.

Given what we know of the 2023 lineup of all platforms so far, I expect the overall software environment in Japan to decline this year. Of course other important games could still be dated/released.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Good to see PS5 software growing, though its not offsetting the decline in PS4 yet. PS software would have done better without Hogwarts PS4 being delayed, though it'll get a boost next week with RE4R.

Switch software also down by a lot. Much of that gap is due to Arceus, but clearly Switch software is passed its peak. Though again the software will recover in Q2 with TOTK.

Given what we know of the 2023 lineup of all platforms so far, I expect the overall software environment in Japan to decline this year. Of course other important games could still be dated/released.
I'd wager Nintendo is shifting focus to switch 2s 2024 line up, hopefully well see a spring 2024 release

Top Bottom