• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Week 38: Dragon Quest X, Switch above 125k, Xbox Series above PS5

It could just be different reporting periods?

Western games like HFW have never done well there AFAIK but I suspect they still care about sales of Japanese games there even with that huge gulf in sales between NSW and PS4/5 versions of Dragon quest. Japanese games are still selling there for them.

02./00. [NSW] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2022.09.15} (¥7.800) - 143.836 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2022.09.15} (¥7.800) - 48.100 / NEW
04./00. [PS5] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2022.09.15} (¥7.800) - 28.371 / NEW

Yeah even then, I think sony are mostly interested in Japan for the MTX. They make a lot of money through people playing F2P games there as well. Its why the big games sony funds or money hats are games that do well globally because physical retail sales are like the lowest priority for them at this point.

Last edited:

nocsi

That’s not really anything to do with Sony though is it? All they’ve done is drop a bag of cash on SE’s desk.
Japanese people will buy a PS5 just to play FF16, they’re literally waiting for it to be released. It’ll make any Xbox sales look pathetic and Microsoft attempts in Japan futile. You can say Microsoft is doing the same by dropping cash onto various desks.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Japanese people will buy a PS5 just to play FF16, they’re literally waiting for it to be released. It’ll make any Xbox sales look pathetic and Microsoft attempts in Japan futile. You can say Microsoft is doing the same by dropping cash onto various desks.
? Still not exactly something for Sony to boast about. If MS moneyhatted Final Fantasy Xbox sales would make PS5 sales look pathetic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Huge W for Microsoft even if it is "pathetic" one in comparison to Switch.

Series consoles should conquer OG Xbox sales in Japan this year and even beating 360 is not out of question

Yep, Series looks like it's well on the way to become the most successful Xbox in Japan.

The Series S and getting a lot of Japanese content on the system / game pass is working well for them.

nocsi

? Still not exactly something for Sony to boast about. If MS moneyhatted Final Fantasy Xbox sales would make PS5 sales look pathetic.
What boasting from Sony? I only see boasting from a different group. If MS moneyhatted FF, then I would have my Japanese culture shamed once again.

Goalus

It's such a shame that Xbox is still supply-constrained in Japan, it could sell so much more if it weren't.

jm89

The fact that Nintendo has effectively annihilated Sony in Japan is not boring. Quite the opposite.
It's boring cause sony don't really care, nintendo can annhilate the air left by sony all they want. Sony know whats works for them and it's other markets.

Sojiro

I mean yeah, I would love to get the offline version released here but would love it even more if they finally localized the online version.
You and me both my man, but I have long given up that dream. I would be ok with settling for the offline version at this point, but even that seems unlikely.

Shut0wen

Apparently a massive majority of fallout 76 players are actually from japan and they quite likebethesda rpgs, i reckon ms could pull it off over there massively in the next 10 years or so plus they are bringing alot of japanese games to game pass

Ogbert

It's boring cause sony don't really care, nintendo can annhilate the air left by sony all they want. Sony know whats works for them and it's other markets.
Sony being bullied out of its domestic market in the space of a generation is hugely significant. I absolutely loved PS2/3 Japan era Sony.

I personally think it’s a pity that Sony will naturally have to focus its attention on Western AAA games and the respective markets.

Nautilus

Banned
That's reality.
The reality that is inside matrix.

You are correct saying that Sony is indeed focusing in other markets. They really are. But that's just because they can't compete against Nintendo in Japan, so they cut their loses. Its not bevause they can't produce enough to send it there. PS5 supply problem has been slowly resolving, and if they wanted to send 30k/40k every week to Japan, they could(and that would hardly impact the rest of the world).

And if they did that, it might sell out on the first few weeks.But mid to long term? Oh hell no. Switch is simply killing it there, and Sony has few, if any, games that appeal there.So they simply admitted defeat and moved elsewhere

jm89

Sony being bullied out of its domestic market in the space of a generation is hugely significant. I absolutely loved PS2/3 Japan era Sony.

I personally think it’s a pity that Sony will naturally have to focus its attention on Western AAA games and the respective markets.
They weren't really bullied out though, they decided to focus somewhere else and that somewhere else got them out of the ps3 mess and made them the most profitable since their inception.

And naturally japan lost interest as sony weren't catering to them, sony clearly aren't interested in that fight other then the occasional bone they throw like ff or whatever.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I don't think this happened a single time in the XBO generation if I'm not mistaken.
Well - XBO was the worst selling XB of all time in Japan. Barely reached 1/3rd of total sales of even the original. Then again - so was the PS4 (the worst selling PS in Japan).
But I think you're right, last time XB outsold PS in Japan was XB360 beating PS3 a few weeks, though some of those wins were rather substantial (by a few 10k, not 1k) on the back of actual decently selling games.

Last edited:

jm89

The reality that is inside matrix.

You are correct saying that Sony is indeed focusing in other markets. They really are. But that's just because they can't compete against Nintendo in Japan, so they cut their loses. Its not bevause they can't produce enough to send it there. PS5 supply problem has been slowly resolving, and if they wanted to send 30k/40k every week to Japan, they could(and that would hardly impact the rest of the world).

Sure buddy just ignore the last decade on what made sony a success. Stick with your sony focusing on other markets because they can't compete with nindento i japan fairy tale 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
XBS S - 13.211
XBS X - 866

That’s a huge gap. I have the Series S and love it. Is this down to stock levels, or is the famed ‘small spaces plus they like small and cute electronics’ actually holding true?

Personally we can all laugh at the numbers, but they are doing much better in Japan than I would ever have guessed.
That disparity is not the norm, of the 338.248 total : 159.791 are X and 178.457 are S. that is a split of around 47% to 53%.

XBS S - 13.211
XBS X - 866
Isn't XBX alone doing more than One usually did even with that low number? And XBS doing some decent numbers. Nice for MS if actually selling in Japan, sort of meh if those actually go somewhere else.

Sony missed the chance to have their own S from the start but still could and imho should work on designing one. I mean the damn APU gets sold with a deactivated GPU unit as a PC part and those units possibly could have been PS5S.

Impotaku

Whats pretty telling is dragon quest came out on both switch ps4&5 at the same time & the playstation releases sold a fraction of what switch did even with all those ps4s in japan they still didn't sell as many even if you add both ps4&5 together it still doesnt reach what switch sold. Sony fucked up big time in japan, even stuff like dragon quest isnt selling that much.

reksveks

Series S doing good numbers thanks to the deal, it was weird cause it was OOS in Amazon JP for most of the week but ehh.

PS5 launch aligned must be like 210k behind the PS4. I think next week was another relatively decent week for the PS4.

Need to have a look at the xbox vs series gap.

205k behind for PS5, 86k behind for the series. I suspect that a couple of big weeks and Xbox will catch up by new years.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Sure buddy just ignore the last decade on what made sony a success. Stick with your sony focusing on other markets because they can't compete with nindento i japan fairy tale 🤦‍♂️
Oh yeah, because every company would LOVE to just ignore the second biggest country for videogame sales.

The denial is strong within you.

Whats pretty telling is dragon quest came out on both switch ps4&5 at the same time & the playstation releases sold a fraction of what switch did even with all those ps4s in japan they still didn't sell as many even if you add both ps4&5 together it still doesnt reach what switch sold. Sony fucked up big time in japan, even stuff like dragon quest isnt selling that much.

Its impossible to know considering this is only physical charts, and we know digital sales are well over 50% for japan, they’re significantly higher for playstation than nintendo unless there is some sort of vouchers included in the latter

With digital included for playstation it could very well be pretty close

Last edited:
Imagine a japanese company losing to Xbox in their own country...

The ironic part about this is xbox isn’t even close to playstation in japan, and xbox is “losing” in its home country to both nitnendo and Sony. Xbox will be lucky to pass the 360 in japan

+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| NSW # | 127.558 | 182.876 | 40.068 | 3.287.020 | 3.818.354 | 26.206.521 |
| XBS # | 14.077 | 459 | 4.376 | 209.590 | 60.942 | 338.248 |
| PS5 # | 11.180 | 2.864 | 16.084 | 702.346 | 790.565 | 1.925.681 |
| 3DS # | 29 | 74 | 643 | 9.413 | 22.727 | 24.596.861 |
| PS4 # | 12 | 11 | 747 | 651 | 94.765 | 9.395.595 |

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Its impossible to know considering this is only physical charts, and we know digital sales are well over 50% for japan, they’re significantly higher for playstation than nintendo unless there is some sort of vouchers included in the latter

With digital included for playstation it could very well be pretty close
What is the source that digital adoption is 50% in Japan? I always thought it was very low. And how badly the ps4/5 physical version sold compared to the Switch it's highly unlikely that the digital sales would close that gap. Because digital adoption for Switch owners is not zero.

What is the source that digital adoption is 50% in Japan? I always thought it was very low. And how badly the ps4/5 physical version sold compared to the Switch it's highly unlikely that the digital sales would close that gap. Because digital adoption for Switch owners is not zero.

FbFKrOWaUAEg3L3

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Series S doing good numbers thanks to the deal, it was weird cause it was OOS in Amazon JP for most of the week but ehh.
That's why Famitsu numbers for Xbox don't make any sense. Most retailers don't even carry Xbox so where are they selling them? Their numbers for PS and Nintendo are fine but for Xbox there's no explanation why they are so different from MC.

Lognor

Banned
Bruh this is insane…

wUU0lVk.jpg
b

Being this triggered over game sales is weird
Bro, you're the one making 4 posts back to back in like 15 minutes in this thread. It sounds like you're the one triggered by the ps5 doing so poorly in Japan!

"An exclusive ff on Xbox would kill the franchise"
"With digital dqx likely did as well on ps as switch"
"Xbox is still losing in Japan and the us!!!"

Oof
Major copium vibes

Last edited:

Rykan

This is crazy. Will anyone ever admit, who was/is against it that the series S is a master stroke decision by Microsoft.

Its the perfect japanese console. Tiny, powerful little box.

I never thought i'd see the day and its happened twice this year.
No, it's not the "perfect Japanese" console. What is that even based on? A stereotype that Japanese like smaller electronics? Anything that requires a TV to use is not a "perfect Japanese" console, as is evident by sales trend of the last 2 generations or so.

PS5 is by far the most sought after next gen system in Japan. Anytime an Xbox series console outsells the PS5, it's 100% due to shipment shortages. PS5 in general tends to ship less frequently, but in larger shipments whereas series consoles are shipped more consistently. This is why you have some weeks in which the Series consoles outsell PS5: It's because the PS5 shipment happened the week before.

The current boost is actually very simple: MS offers a 5000 yen coupon on every Series S console sold. that's about 35$. That was announced a while ago, so everyone interested in a Series S waited until this deal became active. It's an artificial bump, not an increase in demand.

I would love to have Xbox be more popular here, but most people don't understand what the situation for Xbox is really like. The vast majority of Gaming/Electronic stores outside large cities do not carry the Xbox brand. Like, at all. You either have to order online or travel to a major city where you'll find a very small section dedicated to Xbox. A not insignificant amount of these consoles sold go to either American Military Staff stationed in Japan or scalped up by Chinese to be sold for massive profits in China. The idea that Xbox is "Growing" by any significant amount here in Japan is a complete myth as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Did you forget to math? Switch is 26.2M sold, PS4 and PS5 is 11.3. The difference is roughly 130% more Switches, and it sold roughly 90% more on Switch.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I would love to have Xbox be more popular here, but most people don't understand what the situation for Xbox is really like. The vast majority of Gaming/Electronic stores outside large cities do not carry the Xbox brand. Like, at all. You either have to order online or travel to a major city where you'll find a very small section dedicated to Xbox. A not insignificant amount of these consoles sold go to either American Military Staff stationed in Japan or scalped up by Chinese to be sold for massive profits in China. The idea that Xbox is "Growing" by any significant amount here in Japan is a complete myth as far as I'm concerned.
Is there an online retailer bigger than Amazon in japan that only Famitsu tracks? That would explain why their numbers are always so high for Xbox.

Orbital2060

It looks likr the Japanese market is less bound by tradition and more by good deals and pricing. Just an amateur observation, but youd think Sony hardware would be more resilient in their own market. But it seems like Japanese customers are more price sensitive than bound by tradition, which is what a lot of people are assuming. The latest games added to game pass after TGS were maybe not meant for a western audience, but for the Japanese market and when they get a good deal to play some of the games popular in Japan they dont mind buying an Xbox to play them. Also adding in the option to play on a phone or tablet with an ultimate sub. I think it all adds up to a very good deal for a price savvy Japanese customer.

Top Bottom