• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Weekly Sale Number: Feb-14 to Feb-20, 2022

Switch family sold 96,929 units,
PlayStation 5 family sold 25,444 units,
Xbox Series family sold 4,799 units

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. [NSW] Touken Ranbu Warriors (DMM Games, 02/17/22) – 113,159 (New)
  2. [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus (The Pokemon Company, 01/28/22) – 84,925 (2,008,795)
  3. [PS4] Horizon Forbidden West (SIE, 02/18/22) – 48,476 (New)
  4. [PS5] Horizon Forbidden West (SIE, 02/18/22) – 43,012 (New)
  5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 13,406 (4,443,032)
  6. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 10,651 (876,158)
  7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 9,268 (4,773,647)
  8. [PS4] The King of Fighters XV (SIE, 02/17/22) – 9,062 (New)
  9. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 8,503 (2,523,455)
  10. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl (The Pokemon Company, 11/19/21) – 6,876 (2,509,802)
Rankings 11 to 30 will be announced on February 25.

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. Switch OLED Model – 59,161 (1,245,652)
  2. Switch – 23,862 (18,016,050)
  3. PlayStation 5 – 23,249 (1,172,683)
  4. Switch Lite – 13,906 (4,580,652)
  5. Xbox Series S – 2,863 (68,449)
  6. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,195 (213,395)
  7. Xbox Series X – 1,936 (84,329)
  8. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 364 (1,182,294)
  9. PlayStation 4 – 11 (7,819,325)

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Good to see at least a couple of PS4/5 games in the top 10. And interesting to see that the PS4 sku is still leading here

Horizon Zero Dawn did 109k at launch just on PS4 back in 2017 in Japan.
Given the increase in the Ps4's install base since then (5 years) + the Ps5 version, this result is shockingly bad imo.

wow!

back in early 2017, PS4 install base in Japan could've not been more than 3 millions. compare to current PS4/5 install base which should be approaching 9 million

Kataploom

Gold Member
LOL that 10:1 ratio on PS5 and PS5 DE, that thing barely exist in the wild.

BTW, I missed these threads, I hope we keep getting them, for the complaining peeps they should just ignore them.

Papacheeks

Banned
Given the increase in the Ps4's install base since then (5 years) + the Ps5 version, this result is shockingly bad imo.

Selling 90k copies of a game on a system a little over a year old is not bad. Especially when you factor in shortages.

Specially when your up against Pokemon one of the biggest if not biggest brands in Japan.

The split between PS4/PS5 is basically 50/50. So that should be your red flag of amount of people who are buying software for PS5 that can actually get a PS5.

Last edited:
Selling 90k copies of a game on a system a little over a year old is not bad. Especially when you factor in shortages.

Specially when your up against Pokemon one of the biggest if not biggest brands in Japan.

The split between PS4/PS5 is basically 50/50. So that should be your red flag of amount of people who are buying software for PS5 that can actually get a PS5.

that 90K is cumulative PS4 + PS5 version

ethomaz

Banned
Yes.
And that makes no difference at all.
PS4 and PS5 userbase overlaps… they are in vast majority of the cases not distinct.

The difference is probably due digital 2017 vs 2022. There is even change the sales of HFW is higher than HZD.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

So? I added in my post that the split is pretty 50/50 PS4/PS5. Meaning anyone who has a or can get a PS5 is buying software. If PS4 had the bigger split then I would argue it would show lack of interest in PS5. But that split to me indicates people who actually can get a PS5 are buying PS5 software.

Got to understand its not like there's a shit ton being shipped to Japan for hardware. If there was more hardware I think there would be more sales for Horizon showing. Next couple weeks might give us some more data we can look at the PS4/PS5 split and compare what was sold for PS5 hardware to get a better understanding of whats going on.

But currently those numbers are good. When you take into consideration there's only a little over 1 million PS5's sold in Japan currently.

yazenov

Actually, if you account for digital downloads which are well above 2017 from Sony's financials, it should have easy sold more than Horizon Zero dawn. Not only that, but half of those sales are on the PS5 which leads to an increase in revenue since its the equivalent of $70 instead of $60.

So? I added in my post that the split is pretty 50/50 PS4/PS5. Meaning anyone who has a or can get a PS5 is buying software. If PS4 had the bigger split then I would argue it would show lack of interest in PS5. But that split to me indicates people who actually can get a PS5 are buying PS5 software.

Got to understand its not like there's a shit ton being shipped to Japan for hardware. If there was more hardware I think there would be more sales for Horizon showing. Next couple weeks might give us some more data we can look at the PS4/PS5 split and compare what was sold for PS5 hardware to get a better understanding of whats going on.

But currently those numbers are good. When you take into consideration there's only a little over 1 million PS5's sold in Japan currently.

but the interest in the franchise itself is diminishing, basically you're looking at 107K sold on 3 million install base VS 90K sold on 8 million install base

ethomaz

Banned
but the interest in the franchise itself is diminishing, basically you're looking at 107K sold on 3 million install base VS 90K sold on 8 million install base
The probably increased… you are missing digital.

You have a 107k users buying the game at launch in 2017… you probably have more buying it in 2022.

Last edited:
You're not taking into consideration this is physical only. You have no idea how much it sold digitally.
The digital market has increased quite a bit. Numbers will be around the same in the end.

Elios83

Ridiculous take.
PS4 is an old console with a decreasing active installed base. Tons of people who played on PS4 in 2017 have just moved on. They're not active users in 2022.
PS5 is struggling due to shortages so overall the situation for PlayStation software sales was more favourable in 2017 than now.

Counting digital sales HFW has surely surpassed the HZD first week and it's a great result.
It's also good that PS5 is getting a more stable supply of consoles in Japan.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What I thinks crazy is the sheer split for the digital ps5 vs the disk version. It's literally like 10% of manufactured ps5s go into that version.

They must still be losing crazy money on that box.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
The percentage of digital sales in PS is way higher today than it was back then. So pretty like Horizon 2 sold way more than Horizon 1 in Japan on its launch week.
I don't believe there is any evidence to support that in Japan. Japan is still predominantly buying physical games. And if there has been a shift, it's unlikely it's enough to close that gap between the first game sales

ethomaz

Banned
I don't believe there is any evidence to support that in Japan. Japan is still predominantly buying physical games. And if there has been a shift, it's unlikely it's enough to close that gap between the first game sales
In 2018 digital sales in Japan was already 17.5% of Retail Sales.
Why do you think it didn't increase? I mean there are a lot of reports of digital sales increasing in Japan due COVID.

Lognor

Banned
In 2018 digital sales in Japan was already 17.5% of Retail Sales.
Why do you think it didn't increase? I mean there are a lot of reports of digital sales increasing in Japan due COVID.
Do you have more recent numbers? It may have increased, but Japan is predominately physical. And 17.5% is already extremely small compared to other large markets. Isn't the UK like 80% digital?

MrA

Banned
solid performance for horizon, ps4 ps5 balance is actually healthier for the ps5 than the ps3/ps4 balance was for the ps4 at this point in their history, so that's interesting
pretty sure the switch is up yoy this week, ps5 is flat, xbox is up like 2500%

Eanox

Do you have more recent numbers? It may have increased, but Japan is predominately physical. And 17.5% is already extremely small compared to other large markets. Isn't the UK like 80% digital?
The answer is also on the OP itself. There is 200K of PS 5 Digital Edition sold in Japan.
Which is a lot of people ignoring in Famitsu sales thread.

How do those people buy their games by going to the store and buy physical games?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

wow!

back in early 2017, PS4 install base in Japan could've not been more than 3 millions. compare to current PS4/5 install base which should be approaching 9 million

116k from Horizon Zero Dawn is based on 6 days.
91k from Horizon Forbidden West is based on 2 days.

Bad take, guys.

Last edited:
Ridiculous take.
PS4 is an old console with a decreasing active installed base. Tons of people who played on PS4 in 2017 have just moved on. They're not active users in 2022.
PS5 is struggling due to shortages so overall the situation for PlayStation software sales was more favourable in 2017 than now.

Counting digital sales HFW has surely surpassed the HZD first week and it's a great result.
It's also good that PS5 is getting a more stable supply of consoles in Japan.

What are you talking about?
The chart is for PYSICAL SALES ONLY, not some hypothetical digital sales.
My comment was based only on the numbers provided in the OP.

Roughly a week ago Sony came out and said the original topped 20+ million so i thought the first week in Japan was going to at least top the originals.
It's not a "ridiculous take" to think that.

Mr Moose

Roughly a week ago Sony came out and said the original topped 20+ million so i thought the first week in Japan was going to at least top the originals.
Sadly we don't know digital numbers and how much it might've grown or not, I would personally choose a disc over digital if possible but I am in the minority these days.

Elios83

Your comment simply ignores every kind of realistic context.
Five years have passed since 2017.
Everywhere in the world digital sales are now much much stronger than what they were in 2017.
Actually in many countries they're now the majority of sales.
Also in 2017 PS4 was close to the peak of its active installed base.
HFW is being released on a PS4 that has basically been discontinued since two years already and a PS5 that can't take off in installed base because of shortages.
Under these circumstances the fact that HFW in Japan had really close to the same physical sales as the original with obviously much stronger digital sales compared to what was possible in 2017, is an obviously strong result.

Your comment simply ignores every kind of realistic context.
Five years have passed since 2017.
Everywhere in the world digital sales are now much much stronger than what they were in 2017.
Actually in many countries they're now the majority of sales.
Also in 2017 PS4 was close to the peak of its active installed base.
HFW is being released on a PS4 that has basically been discontinued since two years already and a PS5 that can't take off in installed base because of shortages.
Under these circumstances the fact that HFW in Japan had really close to the same physical sales as the original with obviously much stronger digital sales compared to what was possible in 2017, is an obviously strong result.

Why do you keep bringing up digital sales in a thread about physical sales?
My comment was NOT about total sales. Let me repeat, MY COMMENT WAS NOT ABOUT TOTAL SALES.
They were about the physical sales posted in the OP only.
Again, i NEVER said total sales for the game were bad. I was only referencing the physical sales in comparison to the original.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
My comment was NOT about total sales. Let me repeat, MY COMMENT WAS NOT ABOUT TOTAL SALES.
Again, i NEVER said total sales for the game were bad. I was only referencing the physical sales in comparison to the original.
Why did you ignore my comment about days tracked when comparing HZD sales?

Lognor

Banned
116k from Horizon Zero Dawn is based on 6 days.
91k from Horizon Forbidden West is based on 2 days.

Bad take, guys.
Why you spreading fud? I had to check and you're dead wrong.

Hzd released on March 2. Media create tracking ended March 5. That's FOUR days of tracking, not six.

Hzd2 had one less day of tracking. So they're more comparable than you're willing to admit...

Why would Horizon's sequel sell more than the original in Japan? Japan doesn't buy consoles other than Nintendo and it has been like this for years at this point...and your 20M figure for Horizon just helps to put things in perspective: Japan is not a big market for Sony anymore. They clearly didn't sell 1M copies of Horizon in Japan...and it still managed to get to 20M in the end.

If Horizon's sequel has similar sales as the first one is great tbh. No one is expecting Sony to sell more games in Japan in 2022 than in 2017, lmao.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Why you spreading fud? I had to check and you're dead wrong.

Hzd released on March 2. Media create tracking ended March 5. That's FOUR days of tracking, not six.

Hzd2 had one less day of tracking. So they're more comparable than you're willing to admit...

Actually, yes. It was released a few days later in Japan. And the fact still remains that it tracked longer. Famitsu reported 109k sales for HZD while Media Create reported 116.9k

And don't talk about anyone spreading fud, I can admit when I reported something wrong, but you of course have a habit of spreading fud when facts are thrown directly at you.

MrA

Banned
Whats happened to the week to week, year by year graphs?
I love seeing how this a tracking and compare.
you can see last year here
Having trouble finding the thread from it for some reason
any switch up decently ~25% (must be disappointing for those salivating for it to fall off a cliff,) ps5 flat, not surprising as the ps5 will be pretty unreadable till supplies stabilize, xbox up massively (like 25x) which is nice but still a small number

Elios83

So your take is that physical sales in 2022 being (slightly) lower than physical sales in 2017 is a shockingly bad result.
It's even more out of reality and it's why I had to "remind" you that the world has changed since 2017 and physical sales are considerably down for most games because digital has taken over.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I'd imagine a lot of people are waiting to get a ps5 before playing it. We seen the same thing with Miles morales.

PS5 25k this week. Much better stock.

Lognor

Banned
Actually, yes. It was released a few days later in Japan. And the fact still remains that it tracked longer. Famitsu reported 109k sales for HZD while Media Create reported 116.9k

And don't talk about anyone spreading fud, I can admit when I reported something wrong, but you of course have a habit of spreading fud when facts are thrown directly at you.
No I don't. I only speak the truth.

Media Create has the higher number and more days tracked. But it is still more days tracked than you let on. Was it an honest mistake?

smbu2000

The install base is much larger now as there are over 9 million ps4 consoles sold (above number doesn’t show ps4 pro systems) and the 1 million+ ps5 install base.

Nautilus

Banned
PS5 did good this week, and Switch is doing as well as it has been doing these past few weeks.

As for software: Finally Sony is getting some presence here.It will probably continue with Elden Ring launching this week.

But I have to say that Horizon 2 performance is a bit dissapointing.Unless digital REALLY makes up for the diference, it appears it did just as well as the first game, on a much bigger install base.

PS5 did good this week, and Switch is doing as well as it has been doing these past few weeks.

As for software: Finally Sony is getting some presence here.It will probably continue with Elden Ring launching this week.

But I have to say that Horizon 2 performance is a bit dissapointing.Unless digital REALLY makes up for the diference, it appears it did just as well as the first game, on a much bigger install base.

It’s also competing with two big open world games on the same platform this time. Also, the ps5 digital exist so yeah, theres a much larger focus on digital sales. Those console owners are not accounted for at all along with the the people buying it digitally on the physical ps5.

Japan has mostly stayed physical because of the switches popularity but its not 1:1 the same with other platforms. Also, this is Japan.

It’s about as useless a metric as uk physical

Last edited:
Top Bottom