• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan created project shows what amateur remake of God of War would look like in UE5

Airbus Jr

Banned
While Kratos might have left his old life behind in the God of War reboot, that hasn’t stopped fans from thinking about his original adventures where he worked his way through the Greek gods. One such fan, TeaserPlay on YouTube, has been working hard on a concept trailer for what the original God of War would look like if it was remade using Unreal Engine 5.

At 2 minutes 31 seconds in length, the unofficial God of War Remake trailer embedded above provides a generous showcase of what a potential remake could look like if it was remade using Unreal Engine 5. UE5 features like Lumen, Nanite, Ray Tracing, and Metahuman all combine together to make for an incredible presentation.

Creator TeaserPlay explains that they “tried to humanize Kratos’ face as much as possible like in the 2018 version and also tried to bring the camera closer to the character.”

The aim of the trailer is to “give the overall picture of a possible remake and clarify the expectations of the fans from it for the developers.”

TeaserPlay makes it clear in the video’s description that they aren’t looking to infringe on any trademarks, stating that “it’s just a concept trailer to show the power of Unreal Engine 5” and that they “have no plans to release [the remake].”

Hopefully God of War developer Santa Monica Studio and publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment look upon the fanmade trailer with kindness, as it’s clear that a lot of work has gone into its creation.

Though there has been no word of an original God of War remake being in the works, and Santa Monica Studio is surely busy enough creating Ragnarok, this trailer is sure to inspire demands from fans.

Barakov

Gold Member
Same Energy
Uy44orD.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Another day another old random game "remade" in UE5 thread.

This one looks especially poor. In some shots it looks like Kratos has comically huge, Popeye style arms that are much bigger than the rest of his body.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant expect miracles out of some indie dev.

The colours and ambiance look fantastic. The character models look crap though. And Kratos' face looks like a normal dude with grey paint on. The character model bodies and muscles look really odd like PS2 quality.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Honestly, what's with people and the word "incredible?"

First of all, this actually looks pretty bad. Tons of bloom all over the place, flickering textures, lens flares, unfitting assets, weird character animations and textures... I mean. It's not hideous for a fan effort, but this really looks amateurish.

But besides that, what about a good-looking game (if it was good, which it isn't) is not credible? Nowadays we have nearly photorealistic graphics. It's time to lay off the hyperbole.

Ultimately, op, something isn't insane just because the author of the video says so in the title. 😂

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Original PS2 game still looks good with 5K rendering on PC:
VUM5PhJ.png
JDoQiqV.png
Q5xxbsH.png
2gbak8B.png
8fBn1OZ.png
mZcJLgx.png
I'm actually playing it right now along (and God of War 2 once I'm done with the first game) in preparation to God of War 3 which I haven't played at all.
is that chromatic aberration in those screens?

HL3.exe

Why is everyone shitting on a free visual teaser made by a one hobbyist? Don't care about the style or GoW in general, looks janky and stiff. But let's be honest, It's rather impressive how far dev tools have come that this is even possible.

Christ, the autism levels went through the roof here.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The aim of the trailer is to clarify the expectations of the fans from it for the developers.”

shocked-face-wide-eyes.gif

I need to have a word with my expectations

Robb

Gold Member
Wouldn’t call that ‘incredible’ by any stretch, but looks good for something made by a fan.

Banned
again, like most of these "🤪 game X in Unreal Engine" things... it looks like shit.

you can't just plonk down assets and add default UE particle effects and slap RT or SSR on there and think it will look good.

it's like the uncanny valley of graphics, the fidelity is high, but it looks wrong in sometimes super obvious ways, but also in hundreds and hundreds of small ways.

and yes this is just a fan project and you can't really expect more from these, but these constant posts about them, hyping them up, is just silly

Last edited:

TheKratos

What are you smoking GAF? Those graphics look isane and we ain't seeing that on PS5/XSX anytime soon or ever. Animations and character models are meh.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Why is everyone shitting on a free visual teaser made by a one hobbyist?

Because the hobbyist defined it "insane." And this appears to be a pattern on that channel. Doesn't help that whatever site desperate for hits that the OP copied and pasted from doubled down by defining it "incredible."

I can certainly appreciate amateurs attempting to pay homage to games they love, but the hyperbole is pretty laughable. If you really have to call your work "insane" (instead of letting others define it) I'm going to at the very least expect "good." This simply isn't.

Christ, the autism levels went through the roof here.

"autism" doesn't mean what you think it means, quite obviously.

Last edited:

Sybrix

It's normally Goldeneye that gets the 'Unreal Engine' treatment each cycle.

All these fan re-makes always look so washed out and so saturated. It seems 'Amazing Graphics' is brightness to 1000x and saturation of the charts.

Bankai

Looks like a character swap with some Hellblade footage, but then way worse. I really don't like the look at all. Great work for a hobbyist, but please.. this isn't "incredible looking".

Top Bottom