• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan-Made Isometric Half-Life Game Gets Full Valve Approval

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A fan-made isometric Half-Life game called "Codename: Loop" is currently being developed, and the person behind it says they asked Valve for permission to publish it on Steam, which the company granted.

As spotted by PCGamesN, modder PinkyDev is creating their own Half-Life experience, but with a different viewpoint. The upcoming project called "Codename: Loop" will be an isometric title, with an initial goal of making it into a roguelike. According to the developer, they explicitly asked Valve for approval, and it seems as though the company is indeed allowing the modder to publish the game via Steam, which is being made available for free. It will feature a new story, which is "not written yet," and will focus on Gordon Freeman and G-Man. Currently, there is no release date for the game.

Bragr

Banned
Cool to see that they aren't attacking them over it. Star-Trek and Star Wars have hit the fans hard over a variety of things.
That's very different, letting fans affect the lore and image of universes of that nature is different than an old game that nets Valve free marketing.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What people seems to get confused with, is there's a difference in making a fan made game, and a mod for a game.

Before consoles got popular for shooting games and before mtx got hot, games like Half Life would never have been popular if it wasn't for the mod scene.

Counter Strike, day of defeat, firearms etc. If you had half life 1 you literally had several hundreds of games inside one.

Because these games supported community created content like maps, total conversions etc.

I spent most of my time with community made content back then. It was awesome to go to file planet and download 200 maps to your server instead of paying 30 bucks for a mediocre dlc with ten new maps where you only really like 2 or 3 of them.

Top Bottom