• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan Remakes of ‘Resident Evil Remake’ And ‘Code: Veronica’ Cancelled Due To Capcom Cease & Desist

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, that's a crock of shit. Either they never intended to finish these projects in the first place or they're dumber than a box of rocks. Likely just fans trying to give Capcom a nudge towards doing it themselves, which might not be a terrible idea.

DavidGzz

All in due time. I mean, it's not like they haven't been hard at work on Remakes. The little I've seen of those fan made remakes would sully the name of RE if anything. So janky.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good call by Capcom.

Doesn't matter it's a video game, can't rip off companies. There's also always risk the fan game will be shit which might turn off legit fans. However, since it's a digital world with 1000s of programmers around the world who can just make whatever they want in their spare time after dinner hoping the company doesn't care, it gets to a point for every game company, do you let it go and not be bothered with legal hassles, or go after them and shut it down and then another batch of programmers will attempt it again in the next 6 months? Rinse and repeat.

If someone out there made a batch of cookies and branded it Oreo Remake trying to sell it in stores it would get shut down asap too.

Last edited:

Filben

You can, you just don't say a word about it until it's done. Once it's out in the wild, nobody can cease nor desist anything. These guys are just attention seekers.
Yeah, I never understood why they announce these games. It happened all the time with Nintendo fan made games.

you'd think they'll learn from it, but apparently snatching donations is worth more to them. And the only way to do that, is to announce your game... The only reason I can think of. No adult could be so naive thinking "nooo, they would never terminate my project", when this happened literally several times already in the past.

ChazAshley

DAMN YOU, NINTENDO!!!

Oh...wait.

Mo8GtjV.jpg

Can't you accept donations "in general" and make a statement that they're not going towards development of any projects and then it's fine? Isn't that the only thing that ever makes these companies issue takedowns?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can't you accept donations "in general" and make a statement that they're not going towards development of any projects and then it's fine? Isn't that the only thing that ever makes these companies issue takedowns?
I think doing the donations route is essentially the same thing. Money earned.

I dont know what each company's tolerance is for fan creations, but I think Nintendo doesn't give a shit if its free or not. They'll send their lawyers for anything.

One thing I find odd (unless purposely done) is that sometimes the companies will issue a take down notice when the game is finalizing release. You'd think when the game maker is promoting his builds over the years they'd cut to the chase and take it down right away to save time on everyone's side. But it's almost like they purposely wait till the game is well into dev or even when it's close to release to piss off the game maker after spending years doing it. Maybe they do that as a deterrent.

Last edited:

Griffon

I'm repeating myself: just make your own damn "inspired by" game. With your own assets, your own world, story and characters. No need to infringe on any IPs.

If you don't have enough imagination to do that, then yes you deserve to be shut down.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Plenty of Devs allow use of assets from the original games so long as you aren't selling them. Like FFS there's dozens of Megaman fangames out there that reuse the original character sprites yet capcom isn't trying to shut them down
The Patreon thing was definitely questionable though, they should have just kept quiet and made the game in secret

emivita

I'm repeating myself: just make your own damn "inspired by" game. With your own assets, your own world, story and characters. No need to infringe on any IPs.

If you don't have enough imagination to do that, then yes you deserve to be shut down.

By the way, here's an amazing fan game with both RE and TR inspiration. I had a blast with it last Halloween.

Griffon

By the way, here's an amazing fan game with both RE and TR inspiration. I had a blast with it last Halloween.

It looks like a mod for Tomb Raider (which I guess it is, since the decompiled source lets you do that).

My talking point wasn't about mods, but stand alone games.

Last edited:

emivita

It looks like a mod for Tomb Raider (which I guess it is, since the decompiled source lets you do that).

My talking point wasn't about mods, but stand alone games.

It's not a mod, it's a set of custom levels built with TR Level Editor using classic TR engine(s). You can find more info here: https://tombraiders.net/stella/trle.html

You can build a single level or a full game with cutscenes and with your assets.

Edit: I'll leave a download link for anyone curious. https://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=3372

Last edited:
I'm tired of remakes anyway. Most of us enjoyed the originals years ago when they were new at the time. Now we are in the PS5 era where instead of receiving new games with innovation, we get a lot of ancient titles remade. Even if yeah, they can look stunning with the modern paint job.

I just feel like it's time for something fresh...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm tired of remakes anyway. Most of us enjoyed the originals years ago when they were new at the time. Now we are in the PS5 era where instead of receiving new games with innovation, we get a lot of ancient titles remade. Even if yeah, they can look stunning with the modern paint job.

I just feel like it's time for something fresh...
I agree.

But the common counter reply you'd get is that making them earns the company extra cash since not everyone played the game 10 years ago. So it's all about serving newer gamers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom