• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fandango to Purchase Walmart's VUDU Streaming Service

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
fuck. i hate fandango. vudu is the only one that offers fantastic bitrates for hdr rentals.

Qwell

uuggg .... also have a huge collection over 1850 movies, I also liked VUDU because of the bitrate and interface and figured being Walmart it wouldn't be going anywhere. IF this does goes through I just get a feeling that Fandango won't be able to keep it going long term, no data to back that up though, just gut feeling. I suppose that is why I also have a nice Plex server, and at least a good portion of my stuff is also MA, but man after UV and now this, might need to rethink my digital purchase future.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
uuggg .... also have a huge collection over 1850 movies, I also liked VUDU because of the bitrate and interface and figured being Walmart it wouldn't be going anywhere. IF this does goes through I just get a feeling that Fandango won't be able to keep it going long term, no data to back that up though, just gut feeling. I suppose that is why I also have a nice Plex server, and at least a good portion of my stuff is also MA, but man after UV and now this, might need to rethink my digital purchase future.
This is my thought as well. If a company the size of Walmart feels like this service is worth offloading, what chance does Fandango have of keeping it viable?

Also, isn't Fandango in pretty big trouble these days? Their primary business (movie ticket sales) has dropped to $0 and has stayed there for weeks with all of the theaters closed. Even when things start re-opening, are people really going to want to go back to seeing movies in theaters? This feels like a desperate attempt on their part, which doesn't give me much confidence in what they're trying to do.

Super Mario

Banned
All of these reasons are why I hate anything digital that you plan to keep long-term. For rentals, it's the best. For property, there's going to be hurdles

johntown

Banned
I have my concerns about this as well but can really only hope for the best. Walmart is still using it as their digital storefront.

"As a part of the agreement, Vudu will continue to power Walmart’s digital movie and TV store on walmart.com"

I don't think it is going anywhere but I just wonder if sales will disappear or prices rise etc.

EDIT: Maybe this just means more theater at home?

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Fandango blows, hopefully Vudu isn’t just absorbed in and those people get to run it.

Vudu is my platform of choice but I already started only buying MA titles on Vudu when these rumors started. It sucks to lose a giant like Walmart.

I really should just make my own server.

paparazzo

On the bright side, Fandango is owned by Comcast and AT&T so no real worries it'll be shuttered; at least in theory.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
On the bright side, Fandango is owned by Comcast and AT&T so no real worries it'll be shuttered; at least in theory.
I don't think either of these companies have a good track record with treating their customers well though.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
tumblr_olbxcmvTf41u1ljrzo2_500.gifv

Top Bottom