• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Games are just an amalgam or "Vouge" of European Mythology (Celtic, Slavic, Norse, German, French). Makes the genre oversaturated.

Elves, Vikings, dwarves, dragons, wooden swords...rinse repeat.

im always surprised that fantasy games continue to be popular when they never move away from non-European Mythologies. And when they stick to a static European theme, they just take elements (vouge) periods of Celtic, Slavic, Norse, or German and put them together. I assume to developers, it an easier game to make as the assets are abundant.

what are your favorite fantasy games, do you think they can be a bit tiresome?

Arcadialane

I think it's more that they don't do anything original with those settings, rather than the settings themselves. Changing a settings won't change generic or stale game mechanics/game design.

Assassins creed origins when with a black protagonist, ancient empty setting, still the same old stale game

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

im always surprised that fantasy games continue to be popular when they never move away from non-European Mythologies. And when they stick to a static European theme, they just take elements (vouge) periods of Celtic, Slavic, Norse, or German and put them together. I assume to developers, it an easier game to make as the assets are abundant.

There are a million variations of Fantasy.

It's also highly hilarious that you bunched together mythologies that are very different from each other like they were the same thing just because they're all "European."

Europe isn't a homogenous continent. It's a cradle of many cultures, with many different legends and different lore. If you think they're all the same, you're the one lacking nuance.

Last edited:

O-N-E

There are a million of variations of Fantasy.

It's also highly hilarious that you bunched together mythologies that are very different from each other like they were the same thing just because they're all "European."

Europe isn't an homogenous continent. It's a cradle of many cultures, with many different legends different lore. If you think they're all the same, you're the one lacking nuance.

He said it's an amalgam.

GeorgPrime

Banned

ANd all those yearly sport gamesa and other sport games are oversatured too.

Bergoglio

Xbox One Kingdom GIF by Xbox

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Why not try Aztec mythologies??

Will be new and a interesting topic

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Final Fantasy X was one of the greatest breaks from recycling Tolkien and European fantasy in my opinion. Came off as genuinely original, kind of a Southeast Asian vibe throughout. From the cover of the box I was hooked before even starting the game.

I enjoy Tolkien stuff as well, but it is mostly comfort food and doesn't push boundaries. Game of Thrones really injected a lot of life into that kind of setting for me, and I think we'll see games try to take some inspiration from that going forward.

There are a million of variations of Fantasy.

Europe isn't an homogenous continent. It's a cradle of many cultures, with many different legends different lore. If you think they're all the same, you're the one lacking nuance.
This.

McCarth

Celtic and Irish mythology IMO is insanely underutilized. HUGE potential there, I'm looking forward to diving into the Valhalla expansion in Ireland.

BabyYoda

Banned
I would say that far too many draw from Norse, Tolkien (aka English mythology :p) and mythologies of Chinese and Indian origin, it's become so clichéd at this point. Here's an unpopular thought, as someone that reads the Holy Bible everyday, there's so much untapped potential there it's not even funny. Obviously as a Christian I don't believe it to be mythology but historical facts. But still, I'd love to see more developers draw inspiration from the stories therein. Now I know we've had a few thousand years of art and entertainment that has done that very thing. But where is the Ben Hur of Videogames? Now I know the latter is not actually a story from the Bible, but it is very much inspired by the gospels and it does something fresh (for it's time) with the material. The problem is too many fall into certain clichés there as well. Like they fell into a rut regarding what's possible there. I think part of it is the potential for controversy, which most are reluctant to get involved with, especially in today's climate.

My advice is to be creative with the content, add your own ideas whilst staying true to the spirit of what's written, no need to stick to the letter, that's a sure way to kill creativity ("the letter kills, the spirit gives life"), kinda like Peter Jackson's approach to LotR's, no adding of current day agendas (which are usually fickle and don't age well), but also no heavy handed preaching. People love games like GOW because of the imagination there and it doesn't talk down to the audience. The story is really about a father and son (an incredible Biblical them if I do say so myself), the focus is not on the epic setting. Ben Hur did the same actually, the setting is important, but you can tell new stories against that backdrop.

Now the Bible is for the most part a lot more grounded than these mythologies you mentioned (mainly because it actually happened ;), people like grounded now I think, it makes it so that when something supernatural does happen, it's that much more impacting, isn't that the definition of a miracle, it has to be rare to be classified as one, anyway, I digress. There's the potential for every kind of genre and new ones if people would do some digging there. If anyone wants some good reading, I recommend starting with the book of Daniel (in a modern translation like the NIV), it's short, easy reading and has an amazing backdrop with the clashing of the superpowers of the day, Nebuchadnezzar is a fascinating individual as well (the names alone make it worth while!), not to mention all of the fantastical elements of the story (the four living alone creatures deserve to be realised with today's tech, amazing creatures).

But no, instead we'll probably get another game set in the Norse mythology...people are prone to play it safe.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I would say that far too many draw from Norse, Tolkien (aka English mythology :p) and mythologies of Chinese and Indian origin, it's become so clichéd at this point. Here's an unpopular thought, as someone that reads the Holy Bible everyday, there's so much untapped potential there it's not even funny. Obviously as a Christian I don't believe it to be mythology but historical facts. But still, I'd love to see more developers draw inspiration from the stories therein. Now I know we've had a few thousand years of art and entertainment that has done that very thing. But where is the Ben Hur of Videogames? Now I know the latter is not actually a story from the Bible, but it is very much inspired by the gospels and it does something fresh (for it's time) with the material. The problem is too many fall into certain clichés there as well. Like they fell into a rut regarding what's possible there. I think part of it is the potential for controversy, which most are reluctant to get involved with, especially in today's climate.

My advice is to be creative with the content, add your own ideas whilst staying true to the spirit of what's written, no need to stick to the letter, that's a sure way to kill creativity ("the letter kills, the spirit gives life"), kinda like Peter Jackson's approach to LotR's, no adding of current day agendas (which are usually fickle and don't age well), but also no heavy handed preaching. People love games like GOW because of the imagination there and it doesn't talk down to the audience. The story is really about a father and son (an incredible Biblical them if I do say so myself), the focus is not on the epic setting. Ben Hur did the same actually, the setting is important, but you can tell new stories against that backdrop.

Now the Bible is for the most part a lot more grounded than these mythologies you mentioned (mainly because it actually happened ;), people like grounded now I think, it makes it so that when something supernatural does happen, it's that much more impacting, isn't that the definition of a miracle, it has to be rare to be classified as one, anyway, I digress. There's the potential for every kind of genre and new ones if people would do some digging there. If anyone wants some good reading, I recommend starting with the book of Daniel (in a modern translation like the NIV), it's short, easy reading and has an amazing backdrop with the clashing of the superpowers of the day, Nebuchadnezzar is a fascinating individual as well (the names alone make it worth while!), not to mention all of the fantastical elements of the story (the four living alone creatures deserve to be realised with today's tech, amazing creatures).

But no, instead we'll probably get another game set in the Norse mythology...people are prone to play it safe.
Totally agree.

Blasphemous is cool.
El Shaddai
Lords of Shadow
Bayonetta

Really only a handful of Christian-inspired fantasy games I can think of. Could be amazing.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I won't argue with your point. Most fantasy games follow the same tropes that you mentioned... but also most I've played have been vastly different from each other. The key is finding which ones you prefer, and not just buying/playing a game because it fits the genre of "fantasy".

I prefer high fantasy myself, specifically the Elder Scrolls. Stories and worlds with old civilizations long gone who are technologically advanced are my jam, and the Elder Scrolls typically has a lot of that kind of stuff (Ayleids and Dwemers). I tend to stay away from the type of games you alluded to that are more grounded/low fantasy.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I did also really like Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, brilliantly written, even if I didn't really agree with where he was coming from, but alas, not very supernatural. Also there's the Darksiders series, mind you, they are very very loosely based on the book of Revelation and they fall into a few tropes there, but still, better than most.

Wouldn't it be more interesting to perhaps put all of the stories in a modern or futuristic setting (Bible 40K if you will) or bring in the gods from all of the mythologies battling against God and His angel armies (you could play as a low ranking angel, on his way to becoming an archangel for example, or a lowly cowardly man like Gideon given supernatural power and courage with which to fight them), they could be representing the gods mentioned in the Bible (who all have demons behind them). Or perhaps seeing some facet of the Biblical universe from a character like Kratos' perspective could have a lot of value and some laughs! It might offend some, but us Christians need a thicker skin imho.

OK those ideas sound a bit clichéd as well, but I'm not a developer...my point is, so much untapped potential, it doesn't need to be used as a blunt instrument to beat people over the head (an obvious turnoff), but actually just focus on telling great stories and fun gameplay mechanics inspired by Biblical tropes (like altars for saving, blood sacrifice for health regeneration etc).

Last edited:

NahaNago

I've been wanting to create some stories that are influenced by Bible stories. You have the famous David vs Goliath, Jonah and the whale, tons of moses stuff, and maybe even some revelation stuff if I can ever finish reading it. Just go crazy with the fantasy and just loosely base it off the stories for those who can see the influence. Even a fictitious story of how the fall of the angels from grace happened.

BabyYoda

Banned
I've been wanting to create some stories that are influenced by Bible stories. You have the famous David vs Goliath, Jonah and the whale, tons of moses stuff, and maybe even some revelation stuff if I can ever finish reading it. Just go crazy with the fantasy and just loosely base it off the stories for those who can see the influence. Even a fictitious story of how the fall of the angels from grace happened.
Sounds good to me. I did start a novel a while ago but gave up, I may take it up again though someday. It's a sci-fi fantasy and is set during the 1000 year reign of Christ, not seen too many set during that time (none actually). People still die then, they'll be evil on the earth still, although Satan will be bound up for the entire thousand years and then released again for a short period of time (in my spin of it, Satan is bound, but his demons aren't and have been made manifest in the physical). My story would've followed a crew on board a spaceship that is sent out by King Jesus on a very mysterious mission that I already know the crazy twist for, but don't want to spoil here, in case I ever do something with it, it's kinda cool actually.

I was writing it as something I would enjoy to read ya know! I love Star Trek, so I took a few tropes and applied some Christian themes to them. A Worf/Data hybrid played by a warrior angel/security officer who doesn't quite understand what it is to be a human, but also finds us utterly fascinating and kicks ass to boot, a mysterious and wise Gandalf/Obi Wan/Guinan type, played by a resurrected saint and a Captain played by a war vet from the end times war of Armageddon, he has seen the worst of mankinds history, so has the grit to tackle most situations, he also has some baggage as well and so on. Not all of the crew would be believers either, I mix it up with an atheist Science officer that falls in love with a Christian member of the crew!

Maybe that sounds like terrible fan fiction, but I did have some fun writing it!

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
It's such a shame that we don't really get medieval fantasy settings based on Asia, Arabia, India, Africa, Polynesia, America, etc.

I think Hinduism especially has so much untapped potential.

NahaNago

I was writing it as something I would enjoy to read ya know! I love Star Trek, so I took a few tropes and applied some Christian themes to them. A Worf/Data hybrid played by a warrior angel/security officer who doesn't quite understand what it is to be a human, but also finds us utterly fascinating and kicks ass to boot, a mysterious and wise Gandalf/Obi Wan/Guinan type, played by a resurrected saint and a Captain played by a war vet from the end times war of Armageddon, he has seen the worst of mankinds history, so has the grit to tackle most situations, he also has some baggage as well and so on. Not all of the crew would be believers either, I mix it up with an atheist Science officer that falls in love with a Christian member of the crew!

Maybe that sounds like terrible fan fiction, but I did have some fun writing it!
The angel as the worf/data hybrid makes a lot of sense. I always did tend to think of angels as soldiers with an alien vibe who probably thought humans were odd and idiots.

Zannegan

Gold Member
Jade Empire tried for an amalgam of Eastern mythologues/tropes and was pretty enjoyable.

Sure, generic western fantasy is... generic, but there's so much room for different focuses/twists under that broad umbrella that I have no problem with people continuing to dig that endless mine forever.

Woggleman

Gold Member
I assume it is because the gaming community somewhat overlaps with those who like stuff like Dungeons and Dragons and Magic the Gathering. Fantasy games are pretty much my least favorite genre.

CitizenZ

Banned
Totally agree.

Blasphemous is cool.
El Shaddai
Lords of Shadow
Bayonetta

Really only a handful of Christian-inspired fantasy games I can think of. Could be amazing.

I wrote a review for a game called Gray Dawn where you played as a Priest. It wasnt very good but I recall writing Religion is one of the most underutilized conversations that are absent in gaming. I renamed the game priest simulator since you perform an exorcism, last rites and over saw a funeral. It was pretty dark with nice sense of atmosphere but game play was bad.

Fuz

Banned
I like unoriginal fantasy settings. Quite a lot, actually. One of the reasons why I'm not fond of Morrowind.
Often, when devs try to be too unique the worldbuilding and the whole setting suffers.
But there's space enough for everything.

Kumomeme

it already become trend. when people think of fantasy, all they think is western medieval setting, dragons, magic etc. thanks to other popular franchise like LOTR and others video game. japanese developers probably fascinating by opposite western influence but not so much on western developers side.

well FFXIV Stormblood has japanese setting as one of its main theme. even Ala Mhigo part has some of asian mythos influence.

hopefully we can see more fantasy games put stuff like this in future.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Norse, maybe over crowded ,certainly due to the popularity of everything Viking ( like the tv show)
But French?
What?
Plague tales is the only recent game in a French medieval setting.

and for US members, excuse us, Europeans, to have a history. 😂

SCB3

I kinda half agree and feel that some genres and settings are overdone and need a break and some do need a bit more love, Viking's are the current trend which is great to see

But a major issue I've seen is that games settings are created with research into those older settings that we know or are more popular, just due to proxy or devs own heritage and history, which is primarily Europe, America and Japan

I want to see more games set or using mythologies or whatever from places like Africa, Aztec, SE Asia and Native American, especially in the horror genre, there has to be some untapped potential there that we haven't seen

kyussman

Europe has a long and interesting history to work with....makes sense it became the base for so many games.

Top Bottom