• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 or 5 for an intro to the series?

MOTM

Banned
Hey guys so after the Far Cry 6 reveal trailers which I think look great I’ve decided to give the series a try. There’s a sale going on right now on the Xbox store on all Ubi games.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Far Cry 4 but Far Cry 5 is the most recent so better graphics, more modern etc. Which one would you advise I play before Far Cry 6?

I also don’t plan on playing the entire series, just one of them as an appetiser to FC6.

elliot5

Far Cry 5 (and to an extent, the spinoff New Dawn) looks to be more similar to FC6 with the companions and makeshift weaponry. I would probably go with FC5 even though some people didn't like the way it handled encounters/quest progression.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Far Cry 2 for the best atmosphere and gameplay systems. Then you'll play the rest of the series and wonder "what happened?"

That game was ahead of its time. From a pure gameplay perspective its the best out of the series. I also prefer the story which is grounded in realism, Far Cry 3 and onward went off the deep end with the crazy... literally. Not that the rest of the games are bad, but Far Cry 2 does it much, much better. It's a more refined and tight 25hr or so experience that is enjoyable all the way through. The rest of the series is filled with typical Ubisoft bloat...

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Far Cry 3 is Ubisoft's best Far Cry, but be warned that the recent remaster is actually a "lazy port". So there are bugs and performance issues... but it's still definitely worth a playthrough.

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
If you're looking to start the franchise, then start with FC3 classic (remastered version of 3). It s the one which launched most of the franchise modern trends (xp levels, skills, wildlife etc).

If you have to choose between 4 and 5, the choice is a bit different.
If you enjoy a large variety of wildlife, exotic setting and solid experience, try 4. If you'd rather go with a more refined gunplay, more open approach to the story and a scenario with some surprises, then go for 5. But if you ask me, do both.

Caio

Far Cry3 is my most favourite Far Cry for the more intimate Story and locations, I loved it.
I liked Far Cry 4 too, not as much as 3, but still very good game and plenty of exploration. I didn't like Far Cry 5 at all, I stopped playing it almost immediately, I found it uninspired, generic, and boring. I really hope number 6 will be much better, and will revitalize the series.

Saber

Gold Member
I prefer the silent on 5, because in 4 sounds more hes just stupid by following orders and pretend he is above everything when in reality, he has control of nothing. Besides, choices are meanless since only the last one makes real difference. Also, companions in FC5 make the game a heck of fun to play.

Also that french man is a scum and I wish I could kill him. Piece of garbage of character he is.

Blood Dragon is another good FC game to play.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
2469182-blooddragon.png

Last edited:
If you’re on the XSX or XSS then I’d suggest 4 and 5 both. If you can only pick one I’d go with whichever atmosphere you’re more interested in.

4 is in the Himilayas and has a Tibetan vibe while 5 is set in Montana and is very outdoor American style and my personal favorite. I’m in the NW USA and it feels very familiar which I like.

Both are also 60 FPS on series consoles along with primal and new dawn which are decent too.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd say try 3 first, then Blood Dragon, then 5.

I've only just finished Far Cry 4 and didn't find it very memorable. It's ok if you want to scratch a base-clear-itch though.

I found New Dawn a worse experience than 4 - maybe because I enjoyed 5 so much.

Also, 5's soundtrack is outstanding.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Man, these games have the worst writing of any Ubisoft games, so just go with what looks better gameplay wise.

The characters are such tossers, impossible to take it seriously in any way. The radio host was so bad in one of them i muted the voices in the end, and not to mention the main character in 4, no wonder they went for a silent protag in 5!

How they thought any of that shit was passable is beyond me, and its a shame because the actual games can be decent. 4 is probably better imo, since 5 had annoying mechanics that pester you when you're trying to take the gorgeous gameworld at a slow pace.

Primal was my favourite.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I would recommend 4 over 5. Being from North America Far Cry 5 loses a lot in the setting. Far Cry has always been about exotic locations.

5 actually had a decent villain but Pagan Min (Far Cry 4)was pretty fun and I liked him as an enemy, as well the story was kind of interesting.

My favorite was 2 but I wouldn’t recommend it as it too old.

Tschumi

Far Cry 2! Play the critically acclaimed and academically examined one instead of the goofball sequels! (Far cry 4 probably the better of later titles but it doesn't have a patch on 2)

Look, far cry 2 is a fantastic, atmospheric simulation of a genuinely worntorn land, its gameplay is entirely emergent whereas gameplay in later titles was served to you with a spoon.. it's really fun, don't listen to people saying it's no fun.. they probably played 10 minutes to an hour and decided they knew what it was like, nobody saying this game is crap would have actually finished the thing.

I look at my map, i know i need to get somewhere, i start picking my way there... 5 or so roadside camps or roadblocks later I'm crouched in the trees around my target, all keyed up and ready to efficiently decimate my opponents using guns, explosives, grass fire, misdirection... Their ai and communication is on point, great voice acting.. suddenly some South African two metres behind you shouts that you're there... He doesn't last long, but his allies start filling you with lead, you yank a bullet out of your arm with pliers then lay about them... Stream of consciousness, that's what the game is, it's like colonel kurtz's fever dream, fuck, it's awesomesauce.

Another vote for Far Cry 3 here! But to answer OP's question, Far Cry 4 is pretty awesome. Pagan Min is a really good baddie, not as legendary as Vaas but he was up there and I really enjoyed the final twist.

Justin9mm

I've tried getting into 5 about 3 or 4 times.. Last play session was a good few hours, probably played about 7 hours or so all up. I'm doing missions and I still don't really know what the fuck is going on, I'm just liberating shit lol. The mission system is confusing as hell, the gunplay to me is crap and it feels clunky (Playing on PS5).. I got bored with FarCry 3 when it was released and didn't finish that one but don't remember it being nearly as bad as 5.

I'm hoping FarCry 6 feels completely different because it looks good but 5 feels like typical Ubi open world trash.. I've tried pretty much all Ubi games and there is not really any that I like.. I think I just hate Ubisoft games.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

If you like the look of 6 then start with 3 and forward. Blood Dragon is lazy and boring repetitive rubbish that thinks its cool but its gay, I haven't played Primal and New Dawn looked really great and the intro was fun enough but when I got in-game I had to fight a bear near the start and I shot it 10+ times in the head with a sniper rifle and it didnt die, and I went online where many others were saying its like The Division was at launch and even when you are powered up later on the enemies are bullet sponges so I decided to leave it and play 5 again.

If you only have time for 1 then play 5, there are some fun missions styles and activities in 3 and 4 that aren't in 5 but for the most part its better in every way that its predessors and has all the gameplay features from them + more. If you think you'll play more than 1 of them then do play in order from 3 because you'll just be annoyed by the regression in game mechanics if you go backwards.

In 5 you can spear people with thrown shovels and thwack them with baseball bats, its very fun. I recommend travelling to and unlocking at least two companions as soon as you leave the tutorial island and exploring the loot locations to get upgrade points to let you get the holster upgrades at least so you can carry 4 weapons instead of 2. Oh and also make sure to get the lockpicking perk to open safes without having to blow them up.

Kuranghi

I've tried getting into 5 about 3 or 4 times.. Last play session was a good few hours, probably played about 7 hours or so all up. I'm doing missions and I still don't really know what the fuck is going on, I'm just liberating shit lol. The mission system is confusing as hell, the gunplay to me is crap and it feels clunky (Playing on PS5).. I got bored with FarCry 3 when it was released and didn't finish that one but don't remember it being nearly as bad as 5.

I'm hoping FarCry 6 feels completely different because it looks good but 5 feels like typical Ubi open world trash.. I've tried pretty much all Ubi games and there is not really any that I like.. I think I just hate Ubisoft games.

Imo if you aren't into the exploration/puzzles/loot locations and doing the side missions in 5 you will have a less good time because as you say the gunplay is a bit lacklustre and the actual liberating of bases isn't as fun as everything else, for me anyway. I did really enjoy having the AI partner drive and fly me around though because sometimes it goes nuts and its funny as hell.

In general the AI is just funny as hell to me, but I can see how it would be frustrating if you were trying to take it seriously. I suggest eating some edibles or blazing a fat one before next playing it as that increases my enjoyment ten fold, basically you want to regress your brain to the level of your 10 year old self, in terms of how uncynical you are.

I swear they QA'd this game only with people who were on drugs of one kind or another.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Hey guys so after the Far Cry 6 reveal trailers which I think look great I’ve decided to give the series a try. There’s a sale going on right now on the Xbox store on all Ubi games.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Far Cry 4 but Far Cry 5 is the most recent so better graphics, more modern etc. Which one would you advise I play before Far Cry 6?

I also don’t plan on playing the entire series, just one of them as an appetiser to FC6.

Far Cry 3. Classic edition aka remastered is cheap to get.

Best villian out of all the series. Its a take on Joseph Conrads Into The Heart of Darkness.

No Far Cry has beaten it in terms of narrative. Far Cry 5 comes pretty close though.

I played 5 first, loved it, but could never get into 3 or 4. So I suppose I ruined the series for myself.

I wish I'd started with 3.

NoPiece

Far Cry 4 over 5 (but if you like 4, try 5). Far Cry 4 has the most interesting terrain, most complex compounds, and has entertaining side missions. I particularly enjoyed the Yogi & Reggie British backpacker drug missions. 5 took itself a little too seriously (at least in the main story line).

radewagon

Look, I like the whole series (*cough* the first game doesn't count and is garbage *cough*), but my vote goes to 4. Honestly, though, you can't go wrong with almost any of them. They are just really solid games. Also, 2 is phenomenal but kind of a huge downer and a slog to get through. I think that's the intent.

Top Bottom