• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 free weekend 24-27 March (Xbox, PlayStation, PC) inclduing Stranger Things crossover

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/arti...ounces-free-weekend-stranger-things-crossover

Far Cry 6 is hosting a free weekend, running March 24-27, on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4, and PC through the Epic Games Store and the Ubisoft Store. This game and its DLCs are also included in a Ubisoft+ subscription on PC, Stadia, and Amazon Luna.

To coincide with the free weekend, Ubisoft announced The Vanishing, a new free Stranger Things crossover mission, available March 24 for all Far Cry 6 players. The Vanishing will bring a stealth-horror-survival gameplay experience to Far Cry players for the first time with mysterious characters and new lore. In The Vanishing, players will enter a twisted version of Yara inspired by the Upside-Down, where Dani discovers that Yarans are disappearing and no one is safe – not even Chorizo. Players will be able to explore Stranger Things-inspired locations, such as a hidden bunker and an abandoned laboratory. Dani’s mission – with new skins for a flamethrower and shotgun – is to search for Chorizo and find out what happened to the abducted Yarans.

CZY

Interesting time in gaming where price is less a consideration than hdd space and bandwidth usage downloading the thing.

I say that bc I think it’s interesting that “yeah imma pass” is my reaction to this even when it’s free.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ohhh thanks for sharing. I've already played FC6 on PS4, no harm in trying again on SX.

Between this and the 10hr trial for Grid Legends, it's great to try 2 full games for free !

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If I played far cry 5 does this feel different or just a reskinned far cry 5?

And can I complete the game this fast?

adamsapple

You guys think the 4 day window is good enough to beat the campaign in FC6 without going buck wild on the side content ?

I can download it via the GP app and have it ready on my console to save time lol.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Not buying a Far Cry game again until the shit is back on Steam. I'm sick of having series split across storefronts on the same damn platform. I own all FC games on Steam and then they wanted to make FC6 a Epic exclusive? Yeah, it deserves all it's success.

adamsapple

Just a heads up.

Even though the official time on the tweet said 11AM PDT

Far Cry 6's free weekend has already begun, I'm playing it right now.

chaseroni

Not buying a Far Cry game again until the shit is back on Steam. I'm sick of having series split across storefronts on the same damn platform. I own all FC games on Steam and then they wanted to make FC6 a Epic exclusive? Yeah, it deserves all it's success.
With you on that one, gonna play on XSX just to see what the game is like but not having all of them on steam is some bullllshit

R6Rider

Gold Member
Already, got it around launch and enjoyed it far more than FC5. 6 has some really fun missions and tons of weapons and gadgets.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can't really go wrong with a free game.

Far Cry 6 is the first Far Cry I haven't played because honestly it looked pretty bad and a rehash of earlier games, but I'll definitely give it a try this weekend.

Shifty

Alright, we're getting there, but the discount factor needs to go further.

Pay me to play your shitty map game, Ubisoft. My rates are very competitive.

Banned
I downloaded it on PC just out of curiosity and how it runs on my PC... and it runs surprisingly well tbh. 1440p Ultra settings + RT Reflections and I am at a basically locked 60fps at 120° FOV (RTX3060ti, Ryzen 5600x)

and I couldn't hold myself from doing an FSR1.0 test on it, and like expected it looks like absolute shit lol

1440p + TAA
Far-Cry-6-25-03-2022-01-06-33.png

1440p + FSR Ultra Quality (notice how extremely over-sharpened and noisy it is, in motion this results in TERRIBLE flicker on the whole screen)
Far-Cry-6-25-03-2022-01-06-45.png

1440p 90% Res Scale + TAA
Far-Cry-6-25-03-2022-01-07-30.png

ioZAubg.png

FSR is completely oversharpened, resulting in shimmer like crazy and the whole image looks like you added an agressive sharpening effect in Photoshop.
the TAA in this game is also pretty bad, blurring much of the image in motion.
sad that this game doesn't have DLSS support as DLSS usually gives better results than what this game looks like at native res + TAA

edit: video

Last edited:

FeldMonster

How is the gunplay? The only Far Cry I ever tried was FC4 and dropped after a few minutes because combat felt so awful.

mrcroket

Is there any way to donwload the hd texture pack for the trial? I'm looking for it and can't find it, I'm just silly? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hydroxy

I have downloaded the free trial and played about 2-3 hours and its good so far.

Is there any way to donwload the hd texture pack for the trial? I'm looking for it and can't find it, I'm just silly? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I downloaded on PC and while downloading it gives an option to download the HD texture pack.

mrcroket

I have downloaded the free trial and played about 2-3 hours and its good so far.

I downloaded on PC and while downloading it gives an option to download the HD texture pack.
I preloaded the game on PC and I don't remember any option to download the HD texture pack, maybe I overlooked it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

fatmarco

How is the gunplay? The only Far Cry I ever tried was FC4 and dropped after a few minutes because combat felt so awful.
Guns sound nice but enemies now have health bars, which while they can be turned off, it then means they take multiple headshots so it doesn't feel as satisfying to kill them.

It's a really annoying change that dampens the experience atm, though I'm playing on the harder difficulty so not sure what normal etc is like.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm actually digging this in co op, gonna have to up the difficulty though. So far we can just burst into compounds and not have too much trouble, even those 3/4 levels above us.

Stripped a lot of the skills and abilities back and I'm really not sure how horses got past playtesting but overall actually fun.

The stranger things Missions was actually quite good too

adamsapple

Played about an hour of the free trial. Was just starting to get into it and then suddenly

gL9iSgm.jpg

-_-

Back to Ghostwire, I guess.

That's really weird, I've been putting in some good hours on the Xbox in the last two days.

I have had cases where a small box pops up on the top right that says connection lost but the game does not end the session.

I wonder if I can keep a permanent state of the game going even after the trial ends by keeping it in quick resume memory??

SJRB

Gold Member
Playing this after playing Elden Ring for three weeks is so crazy, it's the other end of the spectrum. Tons of scripted events, crazy amounts of handholding, waypoints, collectables, garbage to collect [literally], typical Ubi jank like AI driving through fences and whatnot, a main character that narrates everything he does and honestly pretty poor and insanely boring gameplay. It looks pretty neat though, I like the return to the jungle setting and the colors are vibrant. I hate everyone in this game though, so try hard. And I already hate the different ammo types and how specific enemies are vulnerable to specific ammo.

But man this is a slog. I'm up until the point where I take the first fort so it's way too early to write the game off, but still. So boring.

Reviews mentioned that this game feels like you've been playing it for 60 hours already, and I 100% agree.

Alright I finished up the 'tutorial' and then played through the Stranger Things collab. It's actually pretty cool seeing what it's 'actually' like for the squads sent into the Other world or whatever it's called. Unfortunately, that's where the positives end. From a gameplay standpoint, I did not like it at all. Visibility is horrible so it's hard to make out enemies sometimes, and enemies are too tanky in general. It basically just devolves into a zerg rush and a horde mode-like "hold out for as long as you can" finale.

As far as weird Ubisoft collabs go, I think the Terminator collab they had in Ghost Recon Breakpoint was much better.

Also, I actually kinda liked Far Cry 6's story so far. But a few hours in and I'm already bored of gameplay because it's the same ol gameplay loop since FC3. They REALLY need to shake things up for this series.

Guns sound nice but enemies now have health bars, which while they can be turned off, it then means they take multiple headshots so it doesn't feel as satisfying to kill them.

It's a really annoying change that dampens the experience atm, though I'm playing on the harder difficulty so not sure what normal etc is like.

They are bullet sponges on all difficulties. It just breaks what was fun about the Far Cry gameplay, not gonna be buying this.

adamsapple

Looks and runs great tho on SX. Digging it more than 5. Like the lush vegetation.

Yep, performance is fantastic.

-

On topic, what if we turn our Xbox to go offline before the trial ends, will that let us continue playing this for the next 30 days since there's no online check ? :D

4 days probably isn't enough to complete a big ass game like this lol.

Javthusiast

Banned
First Far Cry I played since trying out 3. Gotta say I have a great time. Runs and looks great on Series S. Gameplay feels good. Love sneaking into bases and taking everyone out one by one. Guapo is a cute lil mofo.

Did a mission of taking over a military base yesterday by driving a tank right into it and then blasting everyone before they could sound the alarm.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Alright, managed to squeeze in the campaign in the allotted time, thank you Ubisoft for the unrestricted trial :D

The Rambo and Danny Trejo missions were pretty crap, gonna check out that Stranger Things mission but not expecting much.

adamsapple

It's much better than either, but it's still a free mission.

Yeah, played it overnight. It's better than the other two but still mediocre.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to have my fill of the game over the last four days.

Now I'm trying an academic experiment and see if it works, I've put my Xbox in offline mode since the morning. The game is running so far. I'm gonna see if it still keeps running after the trial check period ends lol.

If this works, this'll be good for future free weekend games :D

Top Bottom