• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 - Official Review Thread

DonJorginho

Banned
Damn, why is the embargo cutting it so close?! At least review copies were sent out but ...damn. Weird.
Most games these days have their embargos this close, including 3 of the GOTY contenders in Deathloop, Kena and Returnal.

Nothing to worry about.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
As inferior as it may be compared to Prey, it is still one of the top 10 releases this year.

I don't disagree. Heck, I would even say it's more like top 5 this year. It's a good game, just not a good Arkane game (in my opinion, it's their worst yet).

The fact that we consider it a GOTY contender doesn't say much about the game itself, it just proves that this year is rather sad for video games.

With 3 months to go I don't see that many titles on the horizon that grab my attention. I hope that Weird West will live up to Arkane legacy in immersive sims.

Can't wait for this one.

breakfuss

Most games these days have their embargos this close, including 3 of the GOTY contenders in Deathloop, Kena and Returnal.

Nothing to worry about.
sass2.png
You make a good point but we'll see.

Stuart360

Got a feeling it may approach 90 on MC. AngryJoe played it for 3 hours last night and the game looked fun as hell, and quite zany in a good way.
I also wouldnt worry about the graphics, AJ played on max settings with the HD texture pack, and the game looked insane at times, with some incredible texture detail. I'd assume XSX and PS5 will be close to max settings.

Nothing to worry about.
True but it's still kinda bs that these embargoes go until the same day as release (or a day before) imo. When you're taking pre orders for your $120 super ultimate editions you damn sure should let people know about the product you want them to buy. Obviously though they do this because this industry kinda sucks in that regard. Better to control all aspects of their games marketing, including vague claims of "4k/60" (nobody knows the actual resolution of next gen consoles- could be dynamic 1260-1440p for all we know yet they'll get everyone accepting its "4k").

If reviews were allowed early (the Pro consumer move) there would inevitably be some negatives. Instead we get the youtube influencer brigades previews which tend to always focus on the positives.

GymWolf

In 10 years maybe we are gonna see an ubisoft game with tlou2 gunplay...maybe.

Adding bullet wounds and a bit of gore would be a nice start...

Bragr

Banned
It kind of annoys me when reviewers, always expect sequels evolve and change to something they were originally not. I mean if something was great game, then why more of it is somehow bad.
Because we already played it, you won't get the same fresh experience, and you know what's coming.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's at 72 atm...

basketball dunk applause GIF

This isn't a game where you should just read a score; so far the middling review scores are for EXACTLY what you think they are for. Hell one that has the game at 40/100 basically says "If you like Far Cry you will like Far Cry 6." The "giving them what they want" tax is real.

thatJohann

Oof l keep reading PS5 version has lots of screen tearing and frame rate issues. Looking for XSX impressions to see which one is the best to get.

Added the following -

IGN
Gaming Instincts (Me)
ACG/Karak

GodisGeek
GamerHeroes
Gamepressure
HeyPoorPlayer

NOTE - NeoGaf Members who are part of the press (me and karak for example) get a bold/orange color so we can get a bit more recognition and exposure. If you have a review and you are part of the press, please DM me or quote me here and I will add you as well so everyone is on a fair playing field! Thanks.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It is 78 on OpenCritic with 80 percent of reviewers recommending the game. Other than recommend being wildly higher than the aggregated review score that's about as good as you would want.
Metacritic is where it's at, I would imagine that the goal is to get close to the Far Cry 3 & 4 scores and move away from the Far Cry 5 & New Dawn scores. This is after all a massive triple-A franchise, one of the biggest that Ubi got.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Metacritic is where it's at, I would imagine that the goal is to get close to the Far Cry 3 & 4 scores and move away from the Far Cry 5 & New Dawn scores. This is after all a massive triple-A franchise, one of the biggest that Ubi got.

There's been nothing shown of FC6 that would get me to think it was going to do anything different than previous games which would warrant it being able to clearly blow classic Far Cry out of the water. These scores are bearing that out.

GHG

From what I'm reading it's not even worth a Ubisoft+ subscription to try it out.

I'm not that desperate for something to play.

Ubisoft just continue to get worse.

Bragr

Banned
There's been nothing shown of FC6 that would get me to think it was going to do anything different than previous games which would warrant it being able to clearly blow classic Far Cry out of the water. These scores are bearing that out.
Well, I thought it was at least gonna blow Far Cry 5 out of the water. That game was very divisive, and it looks like this is currently struggling more than that game. Far Car New Dawn fucking sucks gorilla dick and is the most phoned-in lazy Far Cry ever made, it sits at 73, it's actually not that far from that, which is straight ridiculous.

I had pre-ordered the ultimate edition for Xbox Series X version via MS store, then read about the screen tearing etc.
MS just refunded it (did it within 5 mins of requesting it!).

I KNOW it will have dropped 35% in a month so I don't know why I do it to myself. £89.99 saved.

I really think this will end up about 65-70%.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Well, I thought it was at least gonna blow Far Cry 5 out of the water. That game was very divisive, and it looks like this is currently struggling more than that game. Far Car New Dawn fucking sucks gorilla dick and is the most phoned-in lazy Far Cry ever made, it sits at 73, it's actually not that far from that, which is straight ridiculous.

Not. . .really? FC5 has a 82/20 on OpenCritic and FC6 is sitting at 78/81. Those are right on top of each other in terms of quality. However, as I mentioned, just going off a number is a poor way of gauging a games quality.

I think he's going to tear it a new one.

Possibly; however in their preview video they were pretty positive about it with the caveat that "it's more Far Cry."

Vagswarm

It's a little suspicious if they're waiting until the very last day to allow reviews, lol. Usually companies like to brag in advance.

Fools idol

Banned
Sorry to report but it runs like shit on the playstation 5. No idea about xbox but this needs a patch or two - would hold off paying full price on day 1.

Top Bottom