• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 - Official Review Thread

Karak

My only critique so far is that female DANI looks like she's about to fall asleep. That's it. If a game formula works you don't change it. Far Cry formula works and this is the best it has worked if you ask me.

. . .I legit feel for game journos who can look at this game and not find any fun are just sad. Is there any meaningful message in the game or are you going to come away with a profound understanding of life. . .nope. Are you going to have a rollicking good time putting two between the eyes of dickbag soldiers who are distracted by your wildly unstealthy gator friend all set to a great South American soundtrack - absolutely.
The game actually has a LOT of fun times

Rob_27

I enjoyed them upto Far cry 3. They all seem a bit off now. Go back to the roots.

Will prob bite if I see it cheap.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Have you not ever been around Spanish speaking people that are bi-lingual?

None of the Hispanic friends I have do this; they also aren't talking to other Hispanics.

You're right. I'm fucking stupid to keep trying Assassin's Creed 15 or Watch Dogs Infinity or Far Cry 3.1415 or any other bullshit they spew out

It is my fault, you're right

I mean. . .UBISOFT doesn't iterate unless they have to and there was nothing in the previews for this game that suggested that was happening here. Everything Far Cry is done better here - from the gunplay, to the customization, to the voice work to the performance - but it is Far Cry. Through and through. I'm playing with pretty much the entire HUD off and the chaos is absolutely there (especially with the combat music playing).

Kerotan

Damn. Was thinking about getting this, I haven't played a Far Cry game since FC3.
I mean if you haven't played one since then it's probably going to be a 9/10. It's so long since I played fc4 I'd probably really enjoy 5 or 6. But not in close proximity.

Metacritic (choosing platform that has most reviews)

FC 6 - 76 currently

FC 5 - 81
FC 4 - 85
FC 3 - 88
FC 2 - 85
FC - 89
I'm legitimately surprised the game is getting reviewed worse.

It looked like they were trying to make it a more exciting game, I guess the delivery felled short.

Has anyone had their hands on the game beside OP? (Thanks for the review OP).

Would like to hear some first user impressions if so.

Hugare

Games “journalists” playing FarCry 5 and shooting religious cultists in Montana:
Happy GIF

Games “journalists” playing FarCry 6 and shooting communists in a fictional Cuba:
Cry About It Captain Kirk GIF
Took me your post to realize that they went from one side of the spectrum to the other with FC 5 and 6 lol

The madmen

Anyway, will probably pick it up at the end of the year for some co op fun with friends

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

Let me guess.....Polygon hates it because it didn't check enough woke boxes. Ubi didn't fellate their sensibilities? Gays aren't gay enough? Politics aren't political enough? Characters don't have more than 6 pronouns? Protagonist isn't some insufferable Mary Sue? Which is it? I won't give them a click to find out.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Metacritic statistics can do funny things, if you actually look on the site the majority of the reviews are 80s and 90s, but one guy gave it 40 and that outlier drags the average right down.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm legitimately surprised the game is getting reviewed worse.

It looked like they were trying to make it a more exciting game, I guess the delivery felled short.

Has anyone had their hands on the game beside OP? (Thanks for the review OP).

Would like to hear some first user impressions if so.

Why are you only looking at one platform though? Opencritic clearly has this in line with other modern FC's which is pretty good given this is the fourth iteration of this version of FC and the general malaise the gaming press has with UBI-Open Worlds.

. . .and I believe there are several of us playing the game (haven't seen an OT yet) and it's fun. The Viviro Plantation when the soundtrack kicks in. . .amazing.

Why are you only looking at one platform though? Opencritic clearly has this in line with other modern FC's which is pretty good given this is the fourth iteration of this version of FC and the general malaise the gaming press has with UBI-Open Worlds.

. . .and I believe there are several of us playing the game (haven't seen an OT yet) and it's fun. The Viviro Plantation when the soundtrack kicks in. . .amazing.
Did I....mention I was only look at one platform? If I was getting it I was getting it for the PC, or PS5 (in the future).

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say in your first paragraph, but I'm glad to hear the game is fun. Now I'm just trying to understand if it's the technical issues that are holding it back, or theres something missing in the game.

I'm in no rush. I'm in a CK3 & TW:WH2 binge anyway, just wanted to see if this game was worth playing anytime soon.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Did I....mention I was only look at one platform? If I was getting it I was getting it for the PC, or PS5 (in the future).

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say in your first paragraph, but I'm glad to hear the game is fun. Now I'm just trying to understand if it's the technical issues that are holding it back, or theres something missing in the game.

I'm in no rush. I'm in a CK3 & TW:WH2 binge anyway, just wanted to see if this game was worth playing anytime soon.

Literally what the post you quoted was doing.

carlosrox

Banned
That Kotaku guy is a moron BUT I must say I agree with this sentiment. It's such a lame thing to see in movies and games. Feels so damn forced.

“It’s been said a number of times, but when Spanish-speaking people are talking in English, we’re not constantly cambiando a Español mid-sentence.”

carlosrox

Banned
It's why I HATE how Ubisoft makes games these days. They never want to SAY anything.

Watch Dogs Legion says a whole hell of a lot about this fearful, mandated restrictions, no social gatherings, pussified world we live in right now.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
It's why I HATE how Ubisoft makes games these days. They never want to SAY anything.
Also my issue with Ubisoft. They make a great concept where they can get into some meaty stuff, but they pull up way WAY before they get to anything meaningful.
(See The Division, Far Cry 5)

GymWolf

My review in Spanish (8.8): https://www.pcmrace.com/2021/10/06/far-cry-6-review/

"With significant gunplay improvements and changes to the variety and pace of secondary objectives, Far Cry 6 is not only one of the best in the series, but also a great open-world shooter. Even more so if you play it in co-op and have the right PC to enjoy it . 💥"

Also updated my screenshot and video gallery with a 4K vs FSR comparison video and a couple 4K Vs FSR pics and all its presets (Ultra Quality, Quality, Balanced, Performance): https://www.pcmrace.com/2021/10/04/...os-de-far-cry-6-en-4k-con-detalles-al-maximo/
Define significant gunplay improvements.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
True, politically or otherwise, they made their shit bland as fuck.

Well you still have to know how to say/present shit, case in point Outer Worlds....

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Below is Polygon's "review". As a Cuban I disagree with everything the reviewer say and I haven't even played the game. What they called tropes I call reality. For example my friends and I switch between Spanish and English on the fly mid sentence all the fucking time, so does most Cubans I know, so that's not a trope. They also wanted the game to be uber political. Polygon just being Polygon.

That polygon reviewer wrote an article complaining that a rainbow six siege operator didn't have the right accent and that it's not good for "argentinian representation". That article is bigger in length than his review on FC6. He really doesn't care about the game, he's just here to complain about trivial stuff.

I'm latin american, I've got no problem with it. Hell we switch all the time when I talk with a group of friends but not with english only people. What's the alternative anyway? Do you want everyone talking spanish with english subtitles? That's just a recipe for low sales. I'm sure there's a spanish dub somewhere in the options anyways. You can do like max payne 3 did that non important npcs spoke portuguese and it wasnt subtittled, but it was only for snippets and things that really didn't matter. You can't do it for the whole game.

Last edited:
I want to know what the actual resolution is on Ps5/SX ...not this vague "it's 4k/60" that every single journalist has parrotted from Ubi. As we all know 4k could mean anything today.

If it turns out to be only 1440p I'll be pissed. These consoles should be capable of better. Tired of devs lying about resolution.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I want to know what the actual resolution is on Ps5/SX ...not this vague "it's 4k/60" that every single journalist has parrotted from Ubi. As we all know 4k could mean anything today.

If it turns out to be only 1440p I'll be pissed. These consoles should be capable of better. Tired of devs lying about resolution.

Probably going to have to wait on DF for that one. Not sure why they don't have a tech breakdown already up; I was hoping they would have one soon because I'm a bit leery on continuing my save on the PS5 given some of the scuttlebutt we've been hearing.

Seems pretty polarising.

From the comments here though it seems like it's worth a buy.

In some ways, I'm selfishly happy it's scoring in the 70s. Ubisoft is the best publisher for dropping their game prices if the launch scores are middling. This will be in the bargain bin before Dec 2021.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Seems pretty polarising.

From the comments here though it seems like it's worth a buy.

In some ways, I'm selfishly happy it's scoring in the 70s. Ubisoft is the best publisher for dropping their game prices if the launch scores are middling. This will be in the bargain bin before Dec 2021.

How? There's (currently) 6 reviews under a 7 and three of those are really bad at a 4. The rest are all 7's and above; once the full kraken is released I imagine it's going to do VERY well with players. Doesn't really seem poliarizing at all (especially with the nearly even Score/Recommend on Opencritic).

Definitely going to get a holiday discount, but "bargain bin. . ." is a bit of a stretch.

Ywap

Downloaded and ready to rock 🤟

Gonna enable that HD pack with the 3080 and see performance tank to the floor :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Anyone found out how to access the texture pack with the disc version (PS5)? No.. It's not listed under "manage game content". For the life of me I cannot find it. Is it possible it's already included in the day pen patch?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Anyone found out how to access the texture pack with the disc version (PS5)? No.. It's not listed under "manage game content". For the life of me I cannot find it. Is it possible it's already included in the day pen patch?

Should be an entirely separate download; at least that's what folks were saying (and how it is on PC).

Hey Blinkin

I'm not going to call out anyone by name, but why does every Ubi thread turn into a bash fest?

I get Far Cry isn't for everyone, but said posts are always the same like the game is accused of being.

Maybe don't play their games if you don't enjoy them. Plenty of people do. Both are OK.

packy34

Played about 2.5hr on PC so far. Looks good with HD texture pack and runs pretty well. Story starts off stronger than last few entries. Animations/VO are better than other recent Ubisoft games, but still not top of the class or anything. Significant improvements over Valhalla/Breakpoint/etc.

Downloaded and ready to rock 🤟

Gonna enable that HD pack with the 3080 and see performance tank to the floor :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm running a 2080ti with HD pack enabled and I get an average FPS of about 90 with everything on ultra/1440p.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I'm not going to call out anyone by name, but why does every Ubi thread turn into a bash fest?

I get Far Cry isn't for everyone, but said posts are always the same like the game is accused of being.

Maybe don't play their games if you don't enjoy them. Plenty of people do. Both are OK.

No, they are always very keen to let you know, that they are too good for this Ubisoft open-world mediocrity! They need you to know, they are making a Statement! They have Standards, and this latest Ubi offering does not meet them! They do not like this game and will not purchase it!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Mossybrew Mossybrew is dead on. And personally, I think you make awesome points, dude.

I play games to have fun. I have no idea why others need to shit on the fun I want to have.

Last edited:

Chiggs

A whiny bitch review from Polygon? I'm even more intrigued!

Because of sad fat-fuck men whose lives are a complete waste, and who must place all of their dying hope and and faded dreams on a video game, simply because they HAVE literally nothing else going for them in life?

I am willing to buy one of these tub-a-lubs a hooker if they'd just promise to try to get a hard-on and enjoy themselves.

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

No, they are always very keen to let you know, that they are too good for this Ubisoft open-world mediocrity! They need you to know, they are making a Statement! They have Standards, and this latest Ubi offering does not meet them! They do not like this game and will not purchase it!

Reading some of these posts, I'm not sure I disagree.

Many are well reasoned but more than a few are definitely militant in nature.

Top Bottom