• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 - Official Review Thread

nemiroff

Gold Member
Hated the first hour of my time with the game, but it kinda turned around, and now at three hours I enjoy it, even felt in-the-zone. They've tweaked a few things since FC5, and it makes a difference.

Anyway, the game looks pretty good (except at a few bad characters and animations, especially in the beginning). At night time It can even look super solid. I spent some time trying to find the right brightness settings tho.

The enemy spawning is still not perfect.. Went around killing some enemies in a fishing village yesterday, but when I rotated back to where I started they was back in the same place.

The "low vram"-message bug is such a joke. I'm playing in QHD , and the VRAM at Ultra with HD textures enabled is only 6.4GB worth, but still keep getting the warning (just managed to turn it off actually)

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Can't play until Sunday at the earliest. Not sure if I will go male or female. Might listen to both voice acting to decide.

Excited to try some co-op.

Topher

Gold Member
Forgive me gaming God but I’m playing it on Stadia

Randy Orton Reaction GIF by WWE

I've been playing the PS5 version for most of the day and while the game is fun albeit overfamiliar, what really disappoints me is just how much screen tearing there is. It's horrendous and I'd say that it is almost constant during any kind of action besides just walking around.

Anytime you engage in any combat or cause any explosions or particle or fire effects then the screen tears. It's not top-quarter of the screen stuff either, you sometimes see that in the form of the odd tear while exploring (even sometimes indoors!), no, it's the full screen wobble kind that completely ruins the experience for me. I reckon the game tears for about 60% of the time I was playing it (prominently enemy confrontations and missions) which is absolutely inexcusable for a current gen release, especially one with a dynamic resolution. Clearly it isn't working and the game is using adaptive v-sync and dipping below 60 fps far too often which then results in a screen tear, even if it only dips to 58 or 59 fps.

Why do so many Ubisoft games still have screen tearing? Their games are the only ones I see screen tearing in on PS5? They need to optimise their games better in my opinion.

It's a real shame because while this is a formulaic Ubisoft game that does little to break away from the familiar gameplay loop, I was actually enjoying it and reached the point where I got my second Amigo, that adorable little dog on wheels. Not sure I can stomach the screen tearing though so I might just get it on PC and uninstall the PS5 version until Sony get around to adding VRR support to the console (if they ever do).

Also, forgot to mention that the cutscenes often suffer from stuttering, like they aren't locked at 30 fps, and on one occassion a cutscene played out with the black areas replaced by white for the duration of the cinematic before the colours returned to normal when it returned to the gameplay. The A.I. in this game is also pretty abysmal; often so dumb that they fail to notice you when you are stood right next to them and in their line of sight but yet once discovered every enemy seems to magically know exactly where you are and fire at you!

I even managed to semi-break one mission by visiting the fort and attempting to clear it out before activating the mission from the nearby NPC. This fort just constantly respawned enemies to the point where I ended up getting overwhelmed and died (on Normal difficulty). The irony is that once I talked to the NPC and activated the mission properly then this fort was a doddle to clear out as it only had 5 or 6 enemy soldiers which were easily taken out using stealth.

sigh

I guess these issues are nothing new to Ubisoft open-world games. Far Cry 6 though does feel a lot less polished than previous entries I've played on console (Far Cry 4 and Primal were both excellent on PS4/PS4 Pro for example). I'm looking forward to hearing what Digital Foundry think of it (they aren't fan of Ubisoft open-world games anyway).

I got a bug where if I enabled high res textures it would show low res versions - like it can't load them. Ah well my 2070 super clearly isn't 'super' enough.

Chiggs

Oh c'mon, you and I both know this is basically Farcry 5 but with more sheen. You could not see or hear it and know exactly what you're getting.

This is how I feel about Ubisoft critiques these days. Lazier than even *gasp* Far Cry!

Last edited:

MrTentakel

Different story here, I loved FC5, enjoyed New Dawn and have mixed feelings here. I enjoy the freedom to tackle objectives my way. It`s the second best protagonist after Rex Power Colt in a Far Cry game. I like the horses.
But
I`m here to save Yara, kick ass and search for matching socks for my outfit (sigh)
For me it looks very last gen (PS5, HD pack installed)
Playing in adventure mode and I`m on the first island with the starter gun and first two rifles. I`m free roaming the island and it feels like god mode. I`m OP as f.
I´m a filthy casual, old and drunk! This must be pure boredom for skilled players.
Does the difficulty increase after the first island?

SJRB

Gold Member
Different story here, I loved FC5, enjoyed New Dawn and have mixed feelings here. I enjoy the freedom to tackle objectives my way. It`s the second best protagonist after Rex Power Colt in a Far Cry game. I like the horses.
But
I`m here to save Yara, kick ass and search for matching socks for my outfit (sigh)
For me it looks very last gen (PS5, HD pack installed)
Playing in adventure mode and I`m on the first island with the starter gun and first two rifles. I`m free roaming the island and it feels like god mode. I`m OP as f.
I´m a filthy casual, old and drunk! This must be pure boredom for skilled players.

Isn't the whole point of adventure mode that it's easy as shit?

Just wanted to vent on some of the cons so far, as a huge Far Cry fan:
  • Why can't I easily replay outposts when something goes wrong? If the alarm goes off, and I end up dying, then there is no checkpoint from right before breaching the outpost. Instead, I am sent back to the last place I fast traveled or air dropped from.
  • What the fuck is this bullet system? Regular bullets do jack shit, and I can't change between soft/armor/explosive unless I am at a weapon bench.
  • More what the fucks - where are perks? You're telling me I have to put on a certain fucking hat if I want to be able to use life syringes? I have to change shirts if I want to have upgraded fishing abilities? This is so stupid, and I spend more time in menus than actually having fun in the game.
  • I'm only level 5, so hopefully this gets better - FUCK HELICOPTERS. They are so hard to take down in this game unless you have a rocket launcher or the rocket Supremo ready to go. They also follow you across the whole damn map.
  • Where's the wildlife? Maybe the map is too big, but I haven't had those moments where I am discretely scoping out some soldiers to snipe and a panther jumps on my ass. Also, is it possible to throw meat to attract prey to outposts? Or is that some fucking gloves I need to get?
  • The soundtrack and radio stations are complete garbage. I was one of the really big fans of those wonderful cult tunes in 5 though. OST of the year that year.

Overall, still having a really fun time, but I feel like they changed things "just to change things". I would have rather had an identical version of 5 in a different environment.

Last edited:

Chiggs

• Why can't I easily replay outposts when something goes wrong? If the alarm goes off, and I end up dying, then there is no checkpoint from right before breaching the outpost. Instead, I am sent back to the last place I fast traveled or air dropped from.
  • What the fuck is this bullet system? Regular bullets do jack shit, and I can't change between soft/armor/explosive unless I am at a weapon bench.
  • More what the fucks - where are perks? You're telling me I have to put on a certain fucking hat if I want to be able to use life syringes? I have to change shirts if I want to have upgraded fishing abilities? This is so stupid, and I spend more time in menus than actually having fun in the game.
  • I'm only level 5, so hopefully this gets better - FUCK HELICOPTERS. They are so hard to take down in this game unless you have a rocket launcher or the rocket Supremo ready to go. They also follow you across the whole damn map.
  • Where's the wildlife? Maybe the map is too big, but I haven't had those moments where I am discretely scoping out some soldiers to snipe and a panther jumps on my ass. Also, is it possible to throw meat to attract prey to outposts? Or is that some fucking gloves I need to get?
  • The soundtrack and radio stations are complete garbage. I was one of the really big fans of those wonderful cult tunes in 5 though. OST of the year that year.

Overall, still having a really fun time, but I feel like they changed things "just to change things". I would have rather had an identical version of 5 in a different environment.

1. Agreed.
2. Stick with armor piercing and explosive (or blast or whatever it's called).
3. I kind of enjoy this aspect. Like armor in an RPG.
4. Helicopters are horrendous. Death in the sky.
5. I've seen sharks, horses, giant man-eating hogs, barracudas, leopards, giant jellyfish, and a mongoose?
6. Compared to part 5, which has a LEGENDARY soundtrack, I agree.

Last edited:

iorek21

Seriously, what's up with PS5 resolution? No way this is 4K, or even 1440p, it's blurry as fuck.

It feels like 1080p, not even Metro Exodus looks so low-res.

ManaByte

1. Agreed.
2. Stick with armor piercing and explosive (or blast or whatever it's called).
3. I kind of enjoy this aspect. Like armor in an RPG.
4. Helicopters are horrendous. Death in the sky.
5. I've seen sharks, horses, giant man-eating hogs, barracudas, leopards, giant jellyfish, and a mongoose?
6. Compared to part 5, which has a LEGENDARY soundtrack, I agree.
I just got attacked by a mongoose.

DeaDPo0L84

You're basically using the DOOM equivalent of "I'm too young to die" with the setting you chose.

fk4PifG.jpg

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Seriously, what's up with PS5 resolution? No way this is 4K, or even 1440p, it's blurry as fuck.

It feels like 1080p, not even Metro Exodus looks so low-res.

It's not even close to 1080P. It isn't 4K (that is only on the XBSX) but this for the most part stays a hair above 3K.

1. Reload the autosave? Pretty sure the game saves right as you get into a base.
2. You can swap weapons at any time, so unless you just have soft-target bullets on every gun you shouldn't have a problem pulling out a weapon appropriate for your target.
3. So having to grind out perk points was a better system?
4. Good. Also there's several ways to deal with them and not just a Rocket Launcher or using EXTERMINADOR.
5. Wildlife is everywhere. Especially Mangeese.
6. Hard disagree. The cult songs were cheesy as hell.

Is anyone else having control issues with this game? There is this weird delay, or lag. I'll move the stick and sometimes it just lags like crazy, or it'll move but then keep moving for a split second before stopping. This is getting kinda frustrating, it makes the game almost unplayable

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Though it can be really fun, especially when it descends into absolute chaos, Far Cry 6 is overstuffed and disjointed, with so many ideas that it's tough to focus.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

If you havent yet try changing Sprint Type to Stick Incline. Its a small thing but not having to click the stick to run is very nice.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
"Country frozen in time due to economic sanctions and isolationism" is a weird way of saying communism.
Dude is banned, but this is stupid. Sanctions are imposed by other countries. They do not require communism. Most countries with dictators that commit human rights violations, or start nuclear weapons programs get some kind of sanctions. It's really sad how ignorant people are with definitions of terms and knowledge of how the world works.

Umbasaborne

Banned
This game is a blast, but the sharks are the most agressive fucking enemy in the game. I
Made a quick swim from one small island to another, it was not a lot of space to swim across. I didnt look down but i was taking a ton of damage and i thought “huh” thats strange. When i got to the beach i looked behind me and there were literally ten fucking sharks right on my ass lol

ManaByte

Dude is banned, but this is stupid. Sanctions are imposed by other countries. They do not require communism. Most countries with dictators that commit human rights violations, or start nuclear weapons programs get some kind of sanctions. It's really sad how ignorant people are with definitions of terms and knowledge of how the world works.

Nah, but this game is 100% set in Cuba. Hell, Polygon admitted in their review that they DIDN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME. The very idea of toppling a communist government is THAT offensive to these games "journalists".

It's not even close to 1080P. It isn't 4K (that is only on the XBSX) but this for the most part stays a hair above 3K.

1. Reload the autosave? Pretty sure the game saves right as you get into a base.
2. You can swap weapons at any time, so unless you just have soft-target bullets on every gun you shouldn't have a problem pulling out a weapon appropriate for your target.
3. So having to grind out perk points was a better system?
4. Good. Also there's several ways to deal with them and not just a Rocket Launcher or using EXTERMINADOR.
5. Wildlife is everywhere. Especially Mangeese.
6. Hard disagree. The cult songs were cheesy as hell.

1. Reloading the autosave doesn't work for me. Still puts me at the last place I fast traveled to, so maybe I should never fast travel.
2. True, but now I'm spending more time in menus switching between all my weapons.
3. There wasn't much of a grind. In 5, there were prepped stashes that had 2 or 3 perk points to gain after a brief puzzle.
4. Exterminator works great!
5. I see more now, but I guess maybe they toned it down some? I mean, nobody wants "LOOK OUT EAGLE!" like in 4, but I did like when hunting was a focal point of the game play.
6. Yeah it's love it or hate it for sure.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
1. Reloading the autosave doesn't work for me. Still puts me at the last place I fast traveled to, so maybe I should never fast travel.

Interesting. The autosave system is bugged (if you reload enemies respawn but not your ammo unless you fully quit to the main menu) but -and this has been true of every base I've hit, even the ships - if I reload it puts me right back to where I initially ingressed into the camp.

The other stuff is personal tastes but I think you'll come around to the trade off of perks to having all your gear but having to specialize.

iorek21

Some quick thoughts after 10h of gameplay:

- Visually looks very outdated, Ubi needs to up their tech for current gen; art and level design are saving the visuals;
- Gunplay is improved from FC5, it feels way better to shoot dudes, weapon variety is also very welcome;
- Random events are everywhere, don't know if they're really random or not, but there's chaos around every corner in the map, so fun;

And one though that I still haven't heard or read on any review: the best Dualsense implementation from a third party studio; driving and galloping is SO immersive, shooting is also great, it's mind-blowing really.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So, the bugs (or just terrible game design decisions) are starting to get on my nerves. If enemies respawning in certain non-capturable bases is the game working as intended it needs to be removed. If not, it needs to be patched. Respawning enemies (especially respawning enemies out of thin air and not boats or helis that have been called in) is a joke.

Some quick thoughts after 10h of gameplay:

- Visually looks very outdated, Ubi needs to up their tech for current gen; art and level design are saving the visuals;
- Gunplay is improved from FC5, it feels way better to shoot dudes, weapon variety is also very welcome;
- Random events are everywhere, don't know if they're really random or not, but there's chaos around every corner in the map, so fun;

And one though that I still haven't heard or read on any review: the best Dualsense implementation from a third party studio; driving and galloping is SO immersive, shooting is also great, it's mind-blowing really.

Dualsense in DEATHLOOP is leagues better than what is on offer here.

Mossybrew

Also I just realized, once you pay resources to unlock an attachment for a gun, it will then be available for all guns in that category.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Anyone else have issues with Dolby Vision? I just can’t seem to get it to look good. It’s very dark.

I am having fun so far. Probably wouldn't have bought it (got it with my CPU last year).

Didn't play any FC game since FC1 really (played 1-2 hrs of FC2 and 3 back then though). So the game is "all new" to me...

Played some 10hrs I think.

The bad:
It boy the game has a lot of bugs.
FSR resets on game start (i.e. i have to enable it every time)
Using dpad in menus is broken (weapon mods pressing right moves the cursor in a Random direction 50% of the time).
Fall damage is too high.
Viewport is waaaaay to narrow on some vehicles (i.e. on a horse).
The forced third person in some parts of the game are annoying and unnecessary.
I would prefer more half life style cutscenes instead of unnecessary dialogue cutscenes (which are locked to stuttery 30hz even (only some are prerendered)
Mission checkpoints are weird (or broken. Not sure). Death often puts you at the start of some infiltration. But it keeps all things you achieved.
Some writing/characters are atrocious... Carla is just unlikable.
Uplay is still shitty and slow...
Some VOs are pure shite. If you don't directly follow the mission path every character you are together with on a mission will constantly tell you to "follow the orders". Not every 15 minutes. But every 60 seconds. With the same voice lines over and over. That's aggravating.

But the good parts ar there too:
Shooting feels good
Performance is good (all ultra 4k with dxr my overclocked 6800xt can mostly hold 60hz without FSR. Some areas do drop a bit though)
Loading times are basically 6s for anything
Some characters are ok^^
The "helpers" are nice. I enable enemy outlines because o am too impatient to scan everything. And this makes the game a bit more approachable to my playstyle (on action difficulty)

And the neutral:
It feels like Assassin's Creed in an fps. That is not a bad thing. But this will lead to overarching franchise fatigue. At least no towers to climb.
Graphics aren't that great. Good but not great. (probably aligns with the good performance point as well)

Overall i am having fun because the gameplay loops are enjoyable.

Last edited:

MetalRain

From the trailers I was kind of worried that this game is way overboard with odd guns and red mist. But surely I can play stealthily, doing headshots with "boring" MS16 S, I think it's great Far Cry game, probably the best one.

I think there is good cohesion between side missions and the world design, it' s not like every nook and granny is unique, but often enough world feels like missions could actually happen where they happen. Feels like they designed larger areas of the world to support multiple related stories instead of just making one mission area in the middle of jungle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom