• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 - Official Review Thread

ManaByte

Confirmed. Just did this on my PC and transferred the save to the Xbox.

I assume it's the same as AC where it can only go from Gold to Gold and not base to Gold (you have to have the same expansions installed on both).

Might pick it up on PC to go back and forth.

Chiggs

I assume it's the same as AC where it can only go from Gold to Gold and not base to Gold (you have to have the same expansions installed on both).

Might pick it up on PC to go back and forth.

Maybe. I have Gold on PC and Xbox, so it was pretty seamless.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I got a bug where if I enabled high res textures it would show low res versions - like it can't load them. Ah well my 2070 super clearly isn't 'super' enough.

Yeah well I don't think it anything to do with how capable your gpu is. I suspect it simply is because it's not named "AMD".. I'm playing it on a 3080 in QHD and use only 4.5GB VRAM and I still get this bug (10% or so of the HD textures randomly refuses to load in) . Ffs Ubisoft..

Last edited:

makaveli60

Does anyone else getting significant delays in weapon sounds on PS5? Like you shoot and the sound comes half a second later. It’s really immersion breaking which is disappointing as the shooting feels awesome with the Dual Sense

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ok, this game is unfortunately broken. The enemies are infinitely respawning everywhere, even when doing stealth (detected, not detected, army or no army, it makes no difference). I can literally do a tiny rotation circle and all the enemies I'm taking down instantly respawns when I'm about 10-20 m away. It makes a large part of the gameplay kinda meaningless. I have to put it down until it's fixed. It's a shame because the mechanics otherwise are improved quite a bit since FC5.

I just looked at the Ubi forum and it's obviously a hot topic these days. And the official response is that they are looking into it.

I find the protagonist singing along to songs on the radio such an awesome thing. The only negative is that he/she stops singing shortly after you turn off the radio.
I really wish Ubisoft would have given you the option for the character to sing songs or whistle tunes while you're walking along through the world. I mean i wouldn't mind this at all if it happened at random times too. Maybe have your character sing or hum songs when you're looking at a beautiful sunset or something.

Its these small touches that add so much to the overall experience.

Last edited:
Ok, this game is unfortunately broken. The enemies are infinitely respawning everywhere, even when doing stealth (detected, not detected, army or no army, it makes no difference). I can literally do a tiny rotation circle and all the enemies I'm taking down instantly respawns when I'm about 10-20 m away. It makes a large part of the gameplay kinda meaningless. I have to put it down until it's fixed. It's a shame because the mechanics otherwise are improved quite a bit since FC5.

I just looked at the Ubi forum and it's obviously a hot topic these days. And the official response is that they are looking into it.
Not as annoying as Far Cry 2 but annoying enough. One mission I couldn't clear out a camp no matter how fast I killed the enemies only for the to respawn right at the very edges of my mini map. Wasted tons of ammo doing that and just gave up and let them shoot me while I was running around doing the mission. I really was like 'Fuck ya'll I gotta get this done now' lol

Theres no way to drive in 3rd person is there? BTW, having a blast so far.
No there's no option like that. Would make the experience of driving so much better if there was an option to drive in 3rd person view as well as a FOV slider for first person view cause the default makes me physically sick with the camera shake. Even dialed the camera shake down to minimal and I still have issues driving for long periods.
Air dropping in and gliding to your chosen destination is a much better experience even If i don't reach my destination by gliding i still won't have to drive for too long.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Does anyone else getting significant delays in weapon sounds on PS5? Like you shoot and the sound comes half a second later. It’s really immersion breaking which is disappointing as the shooting feels awesome with the Dual Sense
Yes I do and also sometimes the audio mix between other sounds will lower the weapon sound also.. It's very underwhelming.

I think the fact this game runs 60fps is probably what keeps me playing it.

Deerock71

A 75 for a AAA game means I'm just gonna watch Breaking Bad and/or The Mandalorian. That's a better use of that guy's talents.

Methos#1975

I find the protagonist singing along to songs on the radio such an awesome thing. The only negative is that he/she stops singing shortly after you turn off the radio.
I really wish Ubisoft would have given you the option for the character to sing songs or whistle tunes while you're walking along through the world. I mean i wouldn't mind this at all if it happened at random times too. Maybe have your character sing or hum songs when you're looking at a beautiful sunset or something.

Its these small touches that add so much to the overall experience.
I like this idea

R6Rider

Gold Member
Started playing tonight. Only 2 hours in, but so far it's fun.

The horses handle really well and the horse combat feels good. Just unlocked the first supremo, but haven't tried it yet. Juan is great.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I'm about 5 hours in and YES respawning enemies for sure goddammit.

Always keep a weapon slot against helicopters because fuck helicopters.

BLUE everywhere = SAFE
RED= BAD

Story? Come on. It's the 6th Cliché I have to overthrow.

I'm having fun so far blowing shit up but when quitting tonight I sensed the tingle of that gameplay loop.

Then I thought of my previous Far Cry walkthroughs.

Far Cry 2, played all of the single player.
Far Cry 3, same.
Far Cry 4, quit about 3/4 in.
Far Cry 5, quit half way in.

Because I know in advance what's coming up. And it feels like a job.

Yes some new stuff has benn added but for me I still feel those old tropes working underneath.

And I'm tired of that.

That's just me 🙄

I 300 got Ubisoft Rewards for just playing the game.
Went and bought the 'White Lotus' sniper rifle and hot damn am I glad I did.
I'm currently playing Lola's missions to earn Moneda to buy crafting materials so I can add mods to this sniper and all stats are damn near max :O
6 modding slots available and an Overclock mod slot that further increases damage to enemies.

THIS THING IS FUCKING INSANE. It has to be the best sniper rifle in the game by a long shot. It would be even more overkill with clothing mods that increase damage to enemies below you and/or armor piercing clothing items.
Buy this from the Far Cry store, NOW !!

EDIT:
I've improved the graphics quite a bit. Here's how I managed to fix the blurry weapon textures:

RTX3080
- Everything set to Ultra (except Shadows which is set to High)
- HD Textures: On
- DXR Shadows: OFF
- FidelityFX CAS: OFF
- Anti-Aliasing: SMAA (TAA made the game look a blurry mess even if its the default Ultra setting)
- Adaptive Resolution: OFF
- FidelityFX Super Resolution: OFF

After doing the above I no longer have blurry or low res gun textures and the game looks AMAZING. No more low res textures to found anywhere.
Moral of the story: Don't set everything to Ultra even on an RTX3080 or similar GPU.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm about 5 hours in and YES respawning enemies for sure goddammit.

I literally spent two hours trying to take a base yesterday.. I cleared out one side of the base, run over to the other side to clear that one out, enemies just respawned where I had left.. Infinite whack-a-mole.. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't want to give up.. It's one of the most mindfucking experiences I've had in a game in a very long time.

It's a surprise to me that so few are talking about it considering it's kind of a game-breaking issue.

This game's weakness seems to be the a.i.
The AI is absolutely terrible. It's funny, because everyone talked about the bad AI in Deathloop, but it's way worse in FC6. This is the least challenging Far Cry game I've ever played. Brain dead AI will let you walk right up to their faces before they get alerted

I literally spent two hours trying to take a base yesterday.. I cleared out one side of the base, run over to the other side to clear that one out, enemies just respawned where I had left.. Infinite whack-a-mole.. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't want to give up.. It's one of the most mindfucking experiences I've had in a game in a very long time.

It's a surprise to me that so few are talking about it considering it's kind of a game-breaking issue.
Yeah, the AI spawning is totally broken. Clearing any base bigger than a checkpoint causes constant respawns, and it seems like they spawn as soon as they're off your minimap.

Bramble

A base with red outlines or one with an actual icon on the map? I just learned the red outlined ones can’t be captured. Best to avoid these.

This game feels like it released months too early. What are the chances they'll fix the A.I. and infinitely respawning enemies?

The a.i. isn't just bad like a typical ubisoft game either. It's broken there's no doubt about it. Also, what's with the lack of a Hard mode? With the A.I. being the way it is its painfully easy.

GymWolf

IA and enemy respawn are hilariously bad but i have to correct my previous statement about the gunplay, some guns are weak but some are kinda ok, still light years from something like tlou2 or rdr2 but better than fc5.

Chicharron missions were hilarious and poor chorizo is fucking useless but cute as hell.

Last edited:

Lol bro one of the missions had the enemies respawning constantly to the point where I just went 'fuck it' and started running around with sirens blaring and cunts shooting at me but I just didn't care. I just did the mission to get it over and done with.
Couldn't be arsed to waste any more fucking ammo 🤣

IA and enemy respawn are hilariously bad but i have to correct my previous statement about the gunplay, some guns are weak but some are kinda ok, still light years from something like tlou2 or rdr2 but better than fc5.

Chicharron missions were hilarious and poor chorizo is fucking useless but cute as hell.
Get that black panther. Kills enemies and their bodies dissappear. The Supremo you unlock also let's u shoot through walls.
Dunno how much time this saved me doing control points. Can literally run in, activate the supremo and kill everything in less than a minute.

I've seen some very creative youtubers strap C4 or proximity mines to the back of the alligator and send it in to the middle of a camp for a 4th of July show.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Get that black panther. Kills enemies and their bodies dissappear. The Supremo you unlock also let's u shoot through walls.
Dunno how much time this saved me doing control points. Can literally run in, activate the supremo and kill everything in less than a minute.

I've seen some very creative youtubers strap C4 or proximity mines to the back of the alligator and send it in to the middle of a camp for a 4th of July show.
I already have oluso, easily the best pet, but i don't use that op supremo, the game is already pretty easy as it is already and shooting through walls is not as funny as organizing a classic stealth approach.

On the contrary i hope to get some more resistance later in the game since now i only die when i play like an idiot on purpose.

SJRB

Gold Member
Respawning enemies is so mindblowing to me. Clearing out bases is like the number one activity in Far Cry games, why would you fuck that up with respawning enemies?

So bizarre.

thatJohann

Can’t remember last time I put in so many hours in such a fast time into a game. Loving it despite the rough edges. Guapo and Chorizo are my boys.

Justin9mm

Respawning enemies is so mindblowing to me. Clearing out bases is like the number one activity in Far Cry games, why would you fuck that up with respawning enemies?

So bizarre.
So is this the game or a bug because it's so bad and I'm wondering what kind of lazy shitty design is this!

Bramble

So is this the game or a bug because it's so bad and I'm wondering what kind of lazy shitty design is this!

It looks to be intentional but the respawn rate seems to be an oversight. In some missions you need to find stuff in an enemy base that you cannot capture, so dudes keep spawning and attacking you while you're in the search area. It's fine not all bases can be captured, but just delay the spawns with 30 minutes or so.

CthulhuPL

I have played a few hours on xsx and to be honest i'm dissapointed. FC5 was miles better. Also grapchics are in no way impressive apart from quite stable 60fps. The AI is stupid as fuck, the story is bland, the setting is meh, gunplay is ok but driving sucks. Overall its not a bad game but... after playing every far cry game i give it 6/10. The formula has run dry. Time for some big changes in the series. Definetly wait for huge sale if you have played previous titles. For me the order of best fc is this: 5, 1, 2, 4, 3, 6.

Topher

Gold Member
I have played a few hours on xsx and to be honest i'm dissapointed. FC5 was miles better. Also grapchics are in no way impressive apart from quite stable 60fps. The AI is stupid as fuck, the story is bland, the setting is meh, gunplay is ok but driving sucks. Overall its not a bad game but... after playing every far cry game i give it 6/10. The formula has run dry. Time for some big changes in the series. Definetly wait for huge sale if you have played previous titles. For me the order of best fc is this: 5, 1, 2, 4, 3, 6.

I didn't care for 5 myself, especially the story. I didn't play 1 or 2, but my best FC order is 3,4,6,5.

Harts316

A base with red outlines or one with an actual icon on the map? I just learned the red outlined ones can’t be captured. Best to avoid these.
Thanks for confirming this. I was playing the game as if it was the previous games and was trying to capture the red outlined areas with no icon. Does the game eventually let you capture these?

I am enjoying the game, but I am finding the difficulty a bit steep at the start. It's mainly because the enemies can hit me from anywhere and the weapons I have are not really effective at the start.

At the moment seems like stealth is not an option because I can't get a decent scope for my sniper rifle. I was thinking to grind, but there are not any real things to do at the moment.

Roni

Gold Member
It's nothing revolutionary, but it's good clean fun. Honestly, the only bullshit thing in this game is third person in hubs...

and the lack of a Dinosaur infested Yara DLC

Mossybrew

Eh, I played all weekend and didn't notice this issue at all. Maybe you were trying to capture a base that couldn't be captured? As mentioned, only certain enemy locations can actually be taken over.

Topher

Gold Member
Eh, I played all weekend and didn't notice this issue at all. Maybe you were trying to capture a base that couldn't be captured? As mentioned, only certain enemy locations can actually be taken over.

Yep......the ones that can be captured you know because there is a cutscene. Other areas like the tobacco farms cannot be captured. You'll have enemies respawning endlessly.

nemiroff

Gold Member

You should urgently inform Ubisoft then and try to stop them from possibly trying to fix it, because their official statement is that are already looking into issue (first reply was "you probably engaged the military", but that was obviously not the case). Several videos of the issue was posted in their forums. Clearly something is going on.
And how the hell would you know that "a base can't be captured" anyway, AFAIK all bases look the same in that respect. If you are still somehow right then Ubi needs a better way to communicate the information to the player, because this wasn't a problem in earlier FC games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Thanks for confirming this. I was playing the game as if it was the previous games and was trying to capture the red outlined areas with no icon. Does the game eventually let you capture these?

I am enjoying the game, but I am finding the difficulty a bit steep at the start. It's mainly because the enemies can hit me from anywhere and the weapons I have are not really effective at the start.

At the moment seems like stealth is not an option because I can't get a decent scope for my sniper rifle. I was thinking to grind, but there are not any real things to do at the moment.
You don't need a sniper.

Pick a simple rifle with enough power (usually the semi automatic ones with 4-5 bullets per load) put a decent scope and a decent suppressor, bullet against helmets and you have your sniper for mid-long range, you are gonna be surprised by how precise you can be from far away, even the bow is surprisingly long range in this game (the right bow with the right perks).

Topher

Gold Member
You don't need a sniper.

Pick a simple rifle with enough power (usually the semi automatic ones with 4-5 bullets per load) put a decent scope and a decent suppressor, bullet against helmets and you have your sniper for mid-long range, you are gonna be surprised by how precise you can be from far away, even the bow is surprisingly long range in this game (the right bow with the right perks).

Exactly. I'm making a living off of one-shot kills with the assault rifle I got from the beginning of the game configured with silencer and scope. Just thoroughly scouting out an facility and then go in silent.......pop pop pop. It is a really good game for those who like stealth.

GymWolf

Exactly. I'm making a living off of one-shot kills with the assault rifle I got from the beginning of the game configured with silencer and scope. Just thoroughly scouting out an facility and then go in silent.......pop pop pop. It is a really good game for those who like stealth.
Except when your 20 min stealth infiltration get ruined by a fucking helicopter passing by or some fuckery with the ia\respawn.

Recently i found a unique silenced shotgun that is not half bad from close range during stealth.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Except when your 20 min stealth infiltration get ruined by a fucking helicopter passing by or some fuckery with the ia\respawn.

Recently i found a unique silenced shotgun that is not half bad from close range during stealth.

Yeah.....fuck those helicopters. Just about the only times I'm breaking out the Supremo is when I'm up against one of those damn things.

Silenced shotgun? lol....ok, I have to find that.

GymWolf

Yeah.....fuck those helicopters. Just about the only times I'm breaking out the Supremo is when I'm up against one of those damn things.

Silenced shotgun? lol....ok, I have to find that.
I think you can also put a suppressor on any shotgun but this one doesn't have malus on damage or other things since it's a unique weapon (i think).
In the heat of the action better using the one with the shield included.

Thank god i found the 2 perfect weapons against helis, the lmg with explosive rounds and that electric gun, zeusito or something...

Last edited:

Bramble

Yes. I destroyed an anti-air canon and found some intel in the base that created an FND icon on the base next to it. Which basically made it “captureable”.

DustQueen

Banned
HD Texture Pack just does not show up in DLC section or "Instal Options" on my Series S... Does anyone know wtf is tbis n how to get this pack for series s
D4NynJk.jpg
b31Yn7l.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom