• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Fun Horror Movies?

What are some of your favorite fun horror movies? By fun horror movies, I mean movies that are a little more on a light-hearted side or adventurous side than scary.

For me it would be Krampus from 2015 with the dysfunctional family. I also really liked the first two Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser as well as Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman.

Edit: oh also Young Frankenstein.

Sorry I meant to post this in off topic.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wrong section but great thread.

The Monster Squad is a fun goonies type movie from the 80s.
The Nun has great atmosphere and has an "adventure" vibe at times. It was trashed by reviewers but it's great if you want atmosphere and a fun popcorn-type experience. It's not light-hearted though.
Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - Dream Warriors
Hocus Pocus - Fun movie. Might not be super effective if you didn't watch it as a kid but it's a legit great film.
Ernest Scared Stupid - So damn good. Kid movie but awesome costumes. Scared the shit out of me when I was 5, lol.
Army of Darkness - I much prefer Evil Dead 2 but Army of Darkness is just a full blown horror comedy. So is ED2 but it disguises it more. AOD has much more adventure considering it takes place during the dark ages.
Scream 3 - Lots of people consider it the worst but it's the best Scream sequel to me. Might be confusing if you aren't familiar with 1 & 2 but 3 is just a fun movie across the board. Legit laughs, has a whodunit vibe. Fun movie.
The Blob (1980s version) - So awesome, it has great protagonists and the movie will genuinely shock you with some of the kills. It's like The Thing in a way with some of the body horror.
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Not lighthearted at all but an awesome movie with great adventure vibes at times. Keanu Reeves gives some of the worst acting of all time but everything else in the film makes up for it.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Went into that thinking it was going to be dumb as shit. It's actually a solid film. Never saw the sequel though, should probably check it out.
It's honestly one of my favourites; the sequel is -not- a horror movie though, it's firmly a sci-fi adventure movie.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
aq4ktljd8ra71.jpg

Did you see this random behind the scenes clip that the YouTube algorithm sent out last year? It's so funny seeing Gary Oldman in full make up getting annoyed with Francis. Big ass cape just trailing in the distance, lol.

Is this the one where he's mad about Keanu Reeves showing up late? Because if so, I did see that clip and it was hilarious. He was really pissed about Keanu Reeves.

Trick ‘r Treat
The Gate
Army of Darkness
I haven't seen The Gate in a long time but it was a really good movie. I actually found it pretty scary especially the demon lord at the end and when he puts the eye in the palm of that kid's hand.

When I saw in theaters back in the '80s, I had this Commodore 64 game called Beyond The Forbidden Forest. The final boss was Demogorgon who rises out of a pit and it reminded me a lot of that game.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I haven't seen The Gate in a long time but it was a really good movie. I actually found it pretty scary especially the demon lord at the end and when he puts the eye in the palm of that kid's hand.

When I saw in theaters back in the '80s, I had this Commodore 64 game called Beyond The Forbidden Forest. The final boss was Demogorgon who rises out of a pit and it reminded me a lot of that game.
Awesome :)

The Gate messed me up as a kid, especially that eye scene haha

Man, I really need to rewatch The Gate, and also these classics:

Little Shop of Horrors
Gremlins
Critters

Awesome :)

The Gate messed me up as a kid, especially that eye scene haha

Man, I really need to rewatch The Gate, and also these classics:

Little Shop of Horrors
Gremlins
Critters
Little Shop of Horrors was on TV just two days ago and I watched it again for the first time in probably 30 years or so.

Of course I'm talking about the '80s musical. I've never seen the original black and white version.

Patrick S.

Banned
Little Shop of Horrors was on TV just two days ago and I watched it again for the first time in probably 30 years or so.

Of course I'm talking about the '80s musical. I've never seen the original black and white version.
Yeah, Meatloaf was so awesome in that movie :)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The off topic section is too slow. Should just have all threads here tbh.

As for the thread:

Evil Dead
Scream

Topher

Gold Member
Used to love John Carpenter movies. The Fog was my favorite.

What lies Beneath was an underrated movie in 2000 by Robert Zemeckis with Harrison Ford and Michele Pfieffer.

Misery with James Caan and Kathy Bates.

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining

Nightmare on Elm Street movies were cheesy, but fun horror.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dead Snow 1/2
Hansel and Gretel:Witch Hunters
Troll Hunter

Scandinavians make some good comedy horror. Rare Exports is a solid Christmas comedy horror movie as well.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Return of the Living Dead
The Lost Boys
Fright Night (the 80's one)
Nice.

ROTLD really stuck with me as a kid. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized a lot of it is humorous. Some of the kills are just crazy though and the yellowish morgue corpse just wailing, really unsettling. Tarman biting the punks head. So messed up. Easily my favorite zombie movie.

Just thought of another one. Part 1 of the IT miniseries. That shit has aged so well cause it mostly focuses on the kids. Part 2 has some good flashbacks but the adults are laughably bad.

Top Bottom