• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite Fictitious Couples

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart."
Jane Austen

Sometimes our reality can be much less glamorous than fiction, and there's no place more appropriately highlighted than romance. From stirring and heartfelt declarations of love, to opposites attracting over the course of three acts. We've been spoilt when it comes to the many portrayals in literature, motion pictures and even song and dance. Join me in sharing those unions that were most memorable and enjoyable to you, whatever the reason may be and how obscure the source. The only exception are couples from video games as that's an entirely new thread that I could create.

Mine:

James Fraser & Claire Beecham - Outlander TV Series

This is an interesting selection as the most entertaining moments of their relationship are the arguments between the two that often end in passionate acts of love. Claire being a time-traveller from the 19th century teleported to 1700s Scotland brings it's own problems, but a woman from a different age and mind-set having to fit into her new environment makes for some hilarious television.

Shrek & Fiona - Shrek Animated Film Series

My favourite animated movie was Shrek and even though I liked the relationship of Shrek and Fiona in the later movies, it was portrayed best when Fiona was still human in the first instalment.

Batman & Catwoman - Batman Comics

BatCat_blog_621ee6a8c87560.90826907.jpg
567d095060b4f9c78f3e02111e880968b6-2017-.2x.w710.jpg

The Dark Knight's most enduring and correct romance. Even though they can never truly be together due to their differences, the moments they share are special and unique.

Last edited:
Naoto/Kanji
Naruto/Hinata
Shallen/Kaladin
Harry Potter/Luna Lovegood
Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley
Ron Weasley/Hermione Granger
Tom Cruise/That Mummy Lady from The Mummy movie
Scott Summers/Emma Frost
Rogue/Magneto
Bruce Wayne/Diana Prince
Anakin Solo/Tahiri Veila
Jacen Solo/Tahiri Veila
Jaina Solo/Kyp Durren
MCU Bruce Banner/MCU Natasha
Gwen Stacy/Mile Morales

Off the top of my head

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Naoto/Kanji
Naruto/Hinata
Shallen/Kaladin
Harry Potter/Luna Lovegood
Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley
Ron Weasley/Hermione Granger
Tom Cruise/That Mummy Lady from The Mummy movie
Scott Summers/Emma Frost
Rogue/Magneto
Bruce Wayne/Diana Prince
Anakin Solo/Tahiri Veila
Jacen Solo/Tahiri Veila
Jaina Solo/Kyp Durren
MCU Bruce Banner/MCU Natasha
Gwen Stacy/Mile Morales

Off the top of my head
Rogue and Magneto? When did that happen?

Jennings

Bert & Ernie
Jim Halpert & Karen Filippelli (I'll always maintain that Pam is a psycho).

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
JpzRr1D.jpg

I love Egyptian mythology. Their story in 52 was also tragic as hell and I am a sucker for a good romantic tear jerker.

Last edited:

Doom85

Honestly one of the very few elements of the DCAU I didn’t care for was giving Batman a harem.

It started fine with Batman TAS, with Catwoman and Talia, obviously that checks out. Then Zatanna just shows up and is into him. What? Oh….DCAU writer Paul Dini just happens to be attracted to Zatanna (and married a woman who looks like her).

Well, it can’t get more ridiculous…..and now he’s briefly dating Lois Lane in Superman’s own cartoon (though she is only interested in Bruce, she thinks Batman can fuck off). And of course Wonder Woman once Justice League starts. Oh, and sure, he seduces Cheetah because let’s make him even potentially fuck a furry, why not?

I’m shocked the writers could restrain themselves and not have him steal Hawkgirl and/or Vixen from Green Lantern, or Black Canary from Green Arrow.

Like, I’m not saying Batman can’t have some luck with ladies, obviously, but it was getting obvious one or more of the writers were self-inserting via Bats and that’s borderline Mary Sue territory. Not saying DCAU Bats was one (though him taking out SINESTRO with a fucking Batarang is one of the dumbest fictional moments ever) but still they were pushing it.

Oh yeah, and even Harley Quinn flirted with him. Also heavily implied with Barbara Gordon in the Mystery of Batwoman movie though I will now need to apply a hammer to my head to make me forget the returning memories of the abomination known as The Killing Joke movie.

Don’t get me wrong, Supes x WW have even less chemistry, but regardless I find Diana dating or being interested in any JL member forced. Only time it felt potentially workable was ironically enough the DCEU because I thought Affleck and Gadot had good chemistry.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Honestly one of the very few elements of the DCAU I didn’t care for was giving Batman a harem.

It started fine with Batman TAS, with Catwoman and Talia, obviously that checks out. Then Zatanna just shows up and is into him. What? Oh….DCAU writer Paul Dini just happens to be attracted to Zatanna (and married a woman who looks like her).

Well, it can’t get more ridiculous…..and now he’s briefly dating Lois Lane in Superman’s own cartoon (though she is only interested in Bruce, she thinks Batman can fuck off). And of course Wonder Woman once Justice League starts. Oh, and sure, he seduces Cheetah because let’s make him even potentially fuck a furry, why not?

I’m shocked the writers could restrain themselves and not have him steal Hawkgirl and/or Vixen from Green Lantern, or Black Canary from Green Arrow.

Like, I’m not saying Batman can’t have some luck with ladies, obviously, but it was getting obvious one or more of the writers were self-inserting via Bats and that’s borderline Mary Sue territory. Not saying DCAU Bats was one (though him taking out SINESTRO with a fucking Batarang is one of the dumbest fictional moments ever) but still they were pushing it.

Oh yeah, and even Harley Quinn flirted with him. Also heavily implied with Barbara Gordon in the Mystery of Batwoman movie though I will now need to apply a hammer to my head to make me forget the returning memories of the abomination known as The Killing Joke movie.

Don’t get me wrong, Supes x WW have even less chemistry, but regardless I find Diana dating or being interested in any JL member forced. Only time it felt potentially workable was ironically enough the DCEU because I thought Affleck and Gadot had good chemistry.

Yea, but at the same time he's Bruce Wayne - like the hottest man on the planet and a billionaire - and Batman. So he's going to be fucking. A lot.

Last edited:

Doom85

Yea, but at the same time he's Bruce Wayne - like the hottest man on the planet and a billionaire - and Batman. So he's going to be fucking. A lot.

It would be just nice if the self-insert elements didn’t feel as blatantly obvious.

And really, Bruce fucking some random civilian ladies just to keep up public appearances is one thing. The romance with Catwoman is fine, and of course the tension between him and Talia. These things feel earned and developed.

Him getting hit on by a ton of random heroines and villains is another thing. Especially as Batman, the dude keeps people at a distance, makes it very clear how paranoid and mistrusting he is, rarely smiles, etc. None of these are particularly attractive traits in general and ironically are the opposite of how the Bruce Wayne persona operates who does have luck with woman for obvious reasons. So Wonder Woman finding Batman attractive is just incredibly stupid to me.

But I find often people will never listen to these arguments because they’re not Batman fans but rather BatGod fans. Batman is supposed to be grounded and believable yet gets twisted by fans and even a few writers into this OP paradox who is supposed to be a non-powered human being in his 30’s yet is god-tier at a bunch of skills and can beat any hero and villain through bullshit, I mean “totally believable”, means. I love how the comic Batman: Hush even ripped apart the Batman vs. Superman fight by showing the idea of Batman being able to defeat Superman is NOWHERE near as simple as Batman simps would have you believe.

Doom85

Gomez and Morticia Addams ❤️❤️❤️

Honestly probably one of the most wholesome couples in all of fiction. Supportive of each other and their children, listen to one another, remain passionate after all their time together, etc. Which of course makes a hilarious contrast to the whole creepy aesthetic of the family as a whole.

Top Bottom