• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear Effect coming to PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC in 2025

Limited Run Games will release PlayStation action adventure game Fear Effect for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam in 2025, the company announced.

Here is an overview of the re-release, via Limited Run Games:

A lost classic finally returns. Fear Effect challenged assumptions on game aesthetics and art style when it debuted on PlayStation, and decades later its extraordinary blend of cell-shading and motion video still dazzles the eye… and the mind. Gunplay and magic meet in this groundbreaking action / adventure coming to a console near you in 2025.

Watch the announcement trailer below.

Source - Gematsu

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Limited Run Games will release PlayStation action adventure game Fear Effect for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam in 2025, the company announced.

Here is an overview of the re-release, via Limited Run Games:

Watch the announcement trailer below.

Source - Gematsu

neat something GIF

Is it censored? Are there improvements?

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So, LRG will have a pre-order window open for months....then expect the game to ship by the end of 2025 (if lucky). It's usually a 12 month process which fucking bullshit.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Never did play these games, but the print ads for them made a strong impression on me back in the day. Are the games any good?

They are, but they play like old-school RE, so be prepared for that. When I revisited the first game back about a decade ago, I had a great time with it.

Not sure what adjustments they'll make to this port, though, and I'm curious if they still have the original source or if this is just some shitty emulated version. What'd actually be interesting is if they had uncompressed versions of the FMV backgrounds.

Also not sure what happened to Forever Entertainment's Fear Effect remake that's popped up from time to time over the years. They completely reworked it into some not-great looking cover shooter or something last time I saw it, so hopefully they've backed off of that madness.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
All I remember from this game are the purposely sexy ads on Magazines with a black hair women and blonde women so I might finally give this game a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

killatopak

Gold Member
I’ll be honest. I tried to play this. Gave up after 2 mins. I was dumb at the time but the movement controls in this game sucks ass for some reason. There was no tutorial and I was dumb enough not to read the manual.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They canceled the remake and threw in this straight port of the PS1 game as a consolation. Not even any Night Dive style enhancements. 🤷‍♂️

edit: Does it have any enhancements?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'll just stick to the PS1 originals. Sedna had the opportunity to evolve this franchise and make something cool but the devs blew it. And a couple of lazy remasters ain't gonna cut it to gauge up any more interest from me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, straight port?

The other thing people are probably forgetting about is that the original game was letterboxed. As in, 4:3, plus the game itself is letterboxed into a fake widescreen. So either they're launching a game that runs in a tiny window and pretending like modern audiences aren't going to throw up on that, or there's more that they haven't told us yet.

• Thoughtful

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Me and my best friend were obsessed with this game for a few months it was either at his house or mine

Haven't thought about it since the turn of the century

I remember almost nothing about it other than hot lesbians and that I liked the gameplay more than RE

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Lol, straight port?

The other thing people are probably forgetting about is that the original game was letterboxed. As in, 4:3, plus the game itself is letterboxed into a fake widescreen. So either they're launching a game that runs in a tiny window and pretending like modern audiences aren't going to throw up on that, or there's more that they haven't told us yet.
That's what I was wondering too. These "fake widescreen" games have aged like milk most of the time.

Also, the controls were absolute dogshit. I tried replaying this a few years ago and noped out after about an hour, it's just a maddeningly frustrating experience.

Lol, straight port?

It's sort of bizarre, what's the appeal if there are no QoL features or enhancements? I can play any old PS1-era game with 8X internal rendering + scanlines to make the backgrounds look natural. Simply playing the old game in a 4K container does nothing to make me want to buy it.

LRKD

Great game, it'll be nice for it not to forever be stuck on 4 discs on PSX. Cautious about all ports/remakes/remasters though, so we will see how this one turns out.

habibihijababy

Neo Member
This was one of the first games I watched a YouTube play-through back in 2010. Bought both games off ebay in really good condition...and proceeded to never play it. Really wish the 3rd game released on PS2. That isometric game that came out a few years ago was AWFUL.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That's what I was wondering too. These "fake widescreen" games have aged like milk most of the time.

Also, the controls were absolute dogshit. I tried replaying this a few years ago and noped out after about an hour, it's just a maddeningly frustrating experience.

For me I felt the controls were intuitive, if a bit sluggish at first. I still greatly enjoyed my time with both games and have since replayed them last month. Still high quality PS1 games.

but this is LRG/Sony - so I fully expect some needless censorship from them.

Filben

There's a place for straight ports, so you can play them on modern hardware without tinkering (including emulators on PC). But I wouldn't pay more than five bucks for this. This is my limit. Five bucks for press install and then play for an old game like this without any enhancements.

I mean, if you only own a PS5 that's the only way to play it, right, or do they sell it at the store as part of their classics catalogue?

Red5

Meh, I can play it just fine on PCSX 2 and I think it was available on PS3 as a PSOne Classic.

I really hoped the remake would take off, shame it was cancelled.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's a place for straight ports, so you can play them on modern hardware without tinkering (including emulators on PC). But I wouldn't pay more than five bucks for this. This is my limit. Five bucks for press install and then play for an old game like this without any enhancements.

I mean, if you only own a PS5 that's the only way to play it, right, or do they sell it at the store as part of their classics catalogue?

The game is currently not being sold on the Classics catalog IIRC. If it were, it would probably be $10, $15. But since this LRG, you can expect it to be $29.99 or so at the minimum.

DaGwaphics

Ouch, the PS1 era graphics don't stand up all that well. I guess good for preservation that these will be available natively on newer hardware.

Without some heavy nostalgia, I just can't get myself to play PS1 era games.

Mephisto40

It's a good game, but incredibly frustrating

I'd image they would put some sort of rewind feature into the game to avoid the many insta death situations you run into throughout the game

Top Bottom