• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 16th is a Big Day for Nintendo Fans - MK9 And Nintendo Switch 2 Info (Leaks)

Well, they are both going to eventually happen, but I am too a little skeptical of the dates.

The fact is, the Switch 2 has been in development for a while. The rumors we heard from Bloomberg and others weren't lies and the Nintendo Switch OLED is, in my opinion, a stopgap because the Switch is still selling a lot and they didn't want to waste the money they initially spent on RnD.

The Switch 2 could kill the momentum of the Switch. You announce it and suddenly sales go down. And even if it were to be launched at the same price, there's no way Nintendo could keep up with the demand. So what happens? You lose sales on the Switch (the margins are high) and aren't able to place enough Switch 2 to fulfill the demand. This is a bad situation for them.

The question is, can Nintendo wait a little longer? Is the software support going down? Yes and no. We're seeing fewer "impossible" ports, but games are still coming out and it's still selling. Ideally, they might want something that is between the power of a PS4/PS4 Pro to be able to get ports from current gen consoles, but why rushing when not even Sony and MS have been able to meet the demand and proper next gen games are not coming out yet?

I think that depending on the market we might see a Switch 2 later this year, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was a 2023 Launch.

If Nintendo announces the Switch 2 for, say, holidays 2023 along with a premium of $500 or so at launch, I can still see the Switch/OLED models selling as many as they can make them. Both Switch and Switch 2 can coexist due to one being $350 and the other at $500.

Deerock71

God dammit I saw MK9 in the title and thought you were talking about Mortal Kombat. Fuck Mario Kart.
Animated GIF

So the Switch is still selling 20,000,000+ per year and Nintendo is just gonna kneecap the fuck out of it by announcing a new system like 8-9 months before it launches? Makes sense
Yeah, I'm pressing 'x' on that one, too. But in that other thread's defense, so was the OP.

CuNi

So the Switch is still selling 20,000,000+ per year and Nintendo is just gonna kneecap the fuck out of it by announcing a new system like 8-9 months before it launches? Makes sense

If it's like 2ds and 3ds where switch "2" or the pro could be seen as a switch but stronger then it wouldn't eat into sales as owner of the OG or OLED model wouldn't need to buy the new model as they could still play the same games. It would only drive sales from hardcore fans that want every model etc.

Everything speculation obviously but that would be the only way I'd see a switch pro or switch 2 however u wanna call it release before 2025.

Woopah

To be fair, the DS was still selling 20 million+ when they announced a successor coming in 9 months.

Isa

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind it. I've wanted a Switch Pro/2 for a while, and I can see them loosing in the space to the Steam Deck. Also, like Sony mentioned with the PS4 Pro a few years back they noticed the trend of gamers moving on the higher fidelity pc's and wanted to try and attract those gamers wanting a more premium experience. Perhaps Nintendo has been following those trends, especially with the high rez emulation scene on pc. Not to mention their history of handhelds and continuations like the GB, GBA, DS, 3DS, N3DS etc.

If its not so powerful I could see them diverting resources into the device for a little while now, especially if its not a huge departure from the Switch itself. Plus the parts could be easier and cheaper to come by. They could keep a multi-sku approach with the new gadget offering better visuals and performance and count both systems as one, continuing the second half of the Switch life-cycle. And Mario Kart is way overdue, seriously. I already played the hell out of 8 on my Wii U so I didn't put much time into 8 Deluxe.

Granted its all speculation, and for my part wishful thinking. I'd love a cleaner and sharper image. That and Trophies/Achievements are what often get me to purchase titles on other platforms when the option is there. Not to mention a better online network. My friends and I never played MH Rise together thanks to the pain it was. Compared to say PC or MH World on PS4/Xbox. Trying to convince them to jump into Splatoon with me is going to be a real challenge.

I just upgraded my switch v2 to oled (which the v2 was an unpgrade to the OG) , and I would buy this in a heartbeat. 1 switch has become my go to console out side of pc.
2. It is the ONLY console, you can buy in stores. My ps4 died and i couldn't even replace that easily (now don't want to will wait for ps5 to be avial in 2028, lol).

That being said. I don't see this happening. It makes sense to happen, but it would be very foolish and unwise to launch any new console now.

Supply strains.
A new chip would require tsmc or Samsung to give nintendo a new waffer in the prodcution chain. That chain is already held up with Car computer chips, cpus, apus, gpu chips, etc... There is a long list of waiting already.
New fabs supposedly have been in the works but those are still 1-2 years off from being ready. Even intel is making its chips using tsmc, the company is blocked and can't make enough.

PS5 - impossible to get (i know i have tried since launch, and no being lucky or using bots, paying scalpers or "it's easy i got mine", does not mean its easy. If you can't buy in the store its not easy, if you have to use a lottery for a chance to buy, its not easy. And it sucks!!!!!!) same thing for gpus and anything with a chip.

Nintendo releasing a new console now would mean only a handful of people would be able to get one. Typically the "reviewers" , "rich youtube personalities" , "rich people with money to payoff scalpers", and "scalpers"... Similar situation with gpus right now. Why would they do this, it wouldn't make sense and would make consumers upset and shareholders upset.

The reason the switch can be the only console on shelves is because it is using older tech and isn't hampered by supply strain.
A switch 2 wouldn't have the same benefit, unless it too was severely out of date.

I personally don't see a new switch coming untill 2023/2024 as new fabs are up and running and things get back to normal.

Holammer

If they put out a bare minimum upgrade Switch Plus based on Tegra X2 it would sell out to the faithful.
Such a product could still co-exist with the original hardware.

Knightime_X

Unless you have a time machine, your expectations are crazy for sub-15w device. It will be Deck-like except powered by NVidia.
Really wish they would make a standard console and a weaker portable one. Like they used to.

Nobody complained about owning an SNES and gameboy

bender

What time is it?
Really wish they would make a standard console and a weaker portable one. Like they used to.

Nobody complained about owning an SNES and gameboy

The hybrid just makes too much sense. It let's them focus their development efforts on one platform and the modest hardware let's them keep development costs down. In turn that lets them take risks and it also let's them revive franchises they know aren't going to be massive hits. Portability also keeps them relevant in their home market. There is no reason to try to keep with Playstation/PC/XBox on that front.

yurinka

Maybe everything is true and compatible with each other:
-Switch successor being released 5-6 years after Switch matches previous difference in time between generations
-Nintendo is conservative, since Switch worked a not too different (don't change if it already works) beefed up Switch with 4K and BC as successor sounds real, nothing too crazy or expensive
-Switch still sells, so this would sell too
-The hardware matches with the supposed Switch Pro leaks, but seeing that the hardware was that similar they thought it was a Switch Pro instead of its successor
-Maybe what the Nintendo guy said is that they are in the middle of the Switch "family", that for these both gens they plan to be Switches and then after it they would release something very different
-Switch and Switch 2 getting both a ~6 years generation would match more with typical Nintendo plans than giving a single Switch a generatiton of ~12 years
-Pokemon Atrocious felt too outdated tech wise, and many other somewhat recent games would have welcomed extra fps, resolution, etc.
-It's time to announce somewhat soonish another Mario Kart
-There are several important Switch exclusives coming, a bigger number than in previous years, something that didn't happen since 2017, the launch year. So it would match to release many of these big games during the release year of that console, trying to repeat what happened in the Switch launch year.

FingerBang

If Nintendo announces the Switch 2 for, say, holidays 2023 along with a premium of $500 or so at launch, I can still see the Switch/OLED models selling as many as they can make them. Both Switch and Switch 2 can coexist due to one being $350 and the other at $500.
Yes, probably, but every time they tried to sell an expensive console they've failed miserably. I don't think Nintendo will get even close to hit the 500 mark. Even 400 would be seen by many as a stretch, since it'd be the same price of a PS5 Digital and Steam Deck.

I think that at BEST it will be around the power of a base PS4 and will use reconstruction techniques to display a higher res image (probably 1440p) and push indie games to 4K. And you can't sell that at $500 in a world where the Steam Deck exists.

Knightime_X

The hybrid just makes too much sense. It let's them focus their development efforts on one platform and the modest hardware let's them keep development costs down. In turn that lets them take risks and it also let's them revive franchises they know aren't going to be massive hits. Portability also keeps them relevant in their home market. There is no reason to try to keep with Playstation/PC/XBox on that front.
As long as someone makes emulators with 60fps \ unlocked frame rate patches I'll just have to deal with it.

paolo11

So backward compatible on old switch titles? Meaning it will run Witcher 3 better even SMT V or BOTW.

Count me in . I pray you get more info on thjs

Elysion

Banned
Imagine if back in 2011/12 Sony had managed to make the Vita powerful enough to play PS3 games (I know that wasn’t possible back then, but let‘s ignore that for the sake of argument), and the entire PS3 library was available to download in a unified Playstation online store for both PS3 and Vita. And imagine if they‘d have managed to sell such a high-end device for a reasonable price.

And then imagine if Nintendo would‘ve decided not to release the 3DS when they did, but instead decided to keep the DS as their handheld platform for a couple more years, since it was still selling gangbusters. Do you really think such an uber-Vita, which would’ve had a gigantic library of games available from day one, wouldn’t have managed to take a huge slice out of the handheld market, especially if its only competition was the aging DS, whose sales wouldn’t remain at their high level forever?

The scenario I just described is basically the situation Nintendo will find itself in within a few weeks, with the Steam Deck taking the place of my hypothetical uber-Vita, and the Switch being in the role of the DS. The Deck will be a (relatively) affordable handheld that will have the biggest and most diverse games library on the planet available on day one – and apparently most of you would advise Nintendo to just ignore it and keep the Switch as their only system for another two, three or god knows how many years.

And before anyone tells me that Nintendo will be fine no matter when they release a Switch successor because „people buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games“, then I‘ll just say that the Wii U has proven conclusively that Nintendo’s games alone are not enough to carry a platform that‘s badly positioned – unless Nintendo is satisfied with being a niche company for their hardcore fans, which I very much doubt.

ultrazilla

Hello Neogaf,

As you all own I run a website and been in the industry for a while I was fortunate enough to meet people and have individuals working for me who used to work in prominent game companies such as Square Enix and so on. One of our writers (Zach Barbierie) used to for Square Enix before he joined us. As you can imagine people who previously worked in other big gaming places most likely had connections and knew individuals from other well known places either meeting through friends, private developer chats and so on.

One of our sources is an individual from Nintendo itself who is currently working in the R&D department, obviously I am not disclosing any names or anything like that for obvious reason.

DISCLAIMER:

If mods need some sort an approval or proof, they can feel free to DM me in regards to this matter. Thanks.

This is just an information I was wanting to share with everyone. Please do not come in here and be aggressive with me or anyone else in the thread. I am not looking for bragging rights or any sort of validation. I know who I am and what I do. This is just simply an interesting discussion and a piece of information that I thought Nintendo fans or just gamers in general would find wouldn't mind to know.

I personally do not know the individual in any shape or form, never had any conversation or anything like that. However, one of my writer does, so this is something they shared with me and I can tell you that I do trust the people I work with and I do trust what they say. However, what they are told by the other individual is obviously up for debate and with anything related to such rumors or gossip. I am in no shape or form saying that what about to be said is true or 100% guaranteed.

I am only relaying information, everything else is up to the people on whether they want to believe it or not. Leaks are sensitive things and sometimes things may also change on the fly, what was true at one point, may not be true anymore in reality or behind the scenes and things may/may not change, so please keep that in mind and be respectful of the people that do relay such information. Keep in mind the world is also in a weird place right now because of COVID and all that.

Now I will tell you 2 things. 1 one of those things i am pretty confident that could possibly be very true. However, the other thing I am not so confident, let's go with the confident thing first and then talk about the other gossip.

Ok, let's get to the juicy stuff now.

On February 16th it is believed that there will be a Nintendo Direct going and that it will include Mario Kart 9 which is quite a big deal. It's been a very long time ever since for a brand new flagship game. The R&D individual did say that this is indeed happening. Now my second source who I also trust a lot is one of my good viewers that I've met through streaming (they found me) They are an older gentlemen who I've known for quite a few years now who is very supportive of our business and branding. They are also an older individual, they work a lot and support a big family, so I know they would never say or do anything silly to mess with me, it is also someone I speak to on daily basis. They know someone in real life who works for Nintendo and does Regional Management in the state of Arizona. This individual has also spoken of the MK9 reveal on February 16th.

With 2 sources talking about this, I feel pretty confident that February 16th will be a big day for the Nintendo and Mario Kart fans across the world and it will be exciting stuff. As for what else is in that direct we have been not informed, nor did we ask. But, Mario Kart 9 is NOT THE ONLY thing that will be there and that this direct is going to be quite important.

Now for the second story it is a bit more far fetched and I have a hard time believing. I also don't have a second source to confirm the same sentiments. This one is coming from the R&D individual.

This person has stated that Nintendo is planning to release the "supposedly" Switch Pro which is actually not a Switch Pro but is titled Nintendo Switch 2. Yes this is Nintendo's next big fancy toy. It will be support 4K visuals and just be a more beefed up switch and be backwards compatible with the original Switch titles. The problem that I have with this statement is that Nintendo recently released a statement that the Nintendo Switch is only in the middle of its lifecycle. So it is contradicting to what he said and another issue is that I do not have a second source that is saying the same thing. Maybe he misheard, or maybe plans have changed, also remember we are in the COVID times.

The big launch titles for Nintendo Switch 2 according to him this holiday season are Breath of the Wild 2 and Mario Kart 9. Nintendo Switch 2 will also have sort of a special Gyro gimmick for Mario Kart 9. What exactly that means, I have absolutely no clue, but it was mentioned. I could see this being true, what I cannot see being true is that Nintendo Switch 2 is coming out this Holiday.

Now let's look at the big picture here. Nintendo's track record normally does say that every 5 or so years a new system releases.

• Gamecube came out in the year 2001 (Twilight Princess was originally slated for 2005 exclusively for the Gamecube, but was delayed by a year and release in November of 2006 for the Gamecube alongside the newly launched console which was the Wii)
  • Wii came out in the year 2006 along with the PS3 (5 years later launched with Zelda: Twilight Princess and Zelda: Skyward Sword was released at the end of its lifecycle in November of 2011 a year before the Wii U)
  • Wii U came out in the 2012 (6 Years later and Zelda: Breath of the Wild was released in 2017 alongside the Nintendo Switch version in March)
  • Nintendo Switch came out in 2017 (5 years later and launched with Zelda: Breath of the Wild)

If we follow this pattern that means that a new Nintendo system is indeed due. We are in the year 2022, and in March it will be exactly 5 years since the Nintendo Switch came out. However, there was a big curveball that put everyone beingand that is obviously COVID. So, assuming everything got delayed we wouldn't see a new console until who knows when. However, Holiday 2022 would put us at close to 6 years since the Nintendo Switch launched. , or it could also be a Spring 2023 launch. Who knows at this point. Either way, if COVID was NOT a thing, i would believe this. But sadly, it is a bit too far fetched for me to believed it until I see the official word from Nintendo on the interwebs itself.

Elder Legend Elder Legend I appreciate the write up but honestly 99.9% of this has already been speculated/talked/beaten a dead horse with.

TL; DR for everyone else:

Mario Kart 9
"reveal" event on Feb. 16.
Nintendo Switch 2: backwards compatible, 4k visuals, etc, etc

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Couldn’t they just release a dock that can give your switch extra power that works with every switch out there ?

Knightime_X

Amazing that you had to dig back 30 years until you found an example that worked.
There is no telling what Nintendo would have done had they had someone else besides Iwata who actually enjoyed GOOD hardware appropriate for the time.
Consoles like N64, gamecube, going forward has severe issues that held them back but lack of actual power wasn't one of them. esp not for gamecube.

All I want is strong hardware on par with modern standards in image quality and performance.
Nintendo was still very successful with other handhelds as well.

I mentioned SNES + GB because during that time they had the best of both worlds.

Woopah

Imagine if back in 2011/12 Sony had managed to make the Vita powerful enough to play PS3 games (I know that wasn’t possible back then, but let‘s ignore that for the sake of argument), and the entire PS3 library was available to download in a unified Playstation online store for both PS3 and Vita. And imagine if they‘d have managed to sell such a high-end device for a reasonable price.

And then imagine if Nintendo would‘ve decided not to release the 3DS when they did, but instead decided to keep the DS as their handheld platform for a couple more years, since it was still selling gangbusters. Do you really think such an uber-Vita, which would’ve had a gigantic library of games available from day one, wouldn’t have managed to take a huge slice out of the handheld market, especially if its only competition was the aging DS, whose sales wouldn’t remain at their high level forever?

The scenario I just described is basically the situation Nintendo will find itself in within a few weeks, with the Steam Deck taking the place of my hypothetical uber-Vita, and the Switch being in the role of the DS. The Deck will be a (relatively) affordable handheld that will have the biggest and most diverse games library on the planet available on day one – and apparently most of you would advise Nintendo to just ignore it and keep the Switch as their only system for another two, three or god knows how many years.

And before anyone tells me that Nintendo will be fine no matter when they release a Switch successor because „people buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games“, then I‘ll just say that the Wii U has proven conclusively that Nintendo’s games alone are not enough to carry a platform that‘s badly positioned – unless Nintendo is satisfied with being a niche company for their hardcore fans, which I very much doubt.
I think people are overestimating the Steam Deck. It's not going to be produced in enough quantities to have any meaningful impact on Switch for quite a while. From my understanding it's not something you're going to be able to walk into a store and just pick up.
There is no telling what Nintendo would have done had they had someone else besides Iwata who actually enjoyed GOOD hardware appropriate for the time.
Consoles like N64, gamecube, going forward has severe issues that held them back but lack of actual power wasn't one of them. esp not for gamecube.

All I want is strong hardware on par with modern standards in image quality and performance.
Nintendo was still very successful with other handhelds as well.

I mentioned SNES + GB because during that time they had the best of both worlds.
Its a different industry. Games are far more expensive and development times are far longer than in the SNES/GB games. It's no longer feasible for Nintendo to support two separate ecosystems.

Knightime_X

I think people are overestimating the Steam Deck. It's not going to be produced in enough quantities to have any meaningful impact on Switch for quite a while. From my understanding it's not something you're going to be able to walk into a store and just pick up.

Its a different industry. Games are far more expensive and development times are far longer than in the SNES/GB games. It's no longer feasible for Nintendo to support two separate ecosystems.
Then its time to port games to PC for those who do not wish to play in 720 25fps.
Its free money.

There is no excuse not to.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
People are mentioning third party ports. Do people with access to literally anything else still buy third party games on Nintendo? Aside from exclusives of course.

Nautilus

Banned
I can believe the MK 9, because its Nintendo(Even if it means far more sense to hold it for a Switch 2, but alas), but announcing a Switch 2 now makes zero sense.

First, bevause they just released a revision in the form of OLED.If you look all these years switch have been out, there has always been a 2 year gap between revisions.So announcing a brand new gen just right after a revision was launched goes against this strategy(and common sense)

Second is that we are currently going through a chip shortage, AND Nintendo is still able to ride the Switch success for some good 2 years.So given that they would certainly face supply problems with a Switch 2, it doesn't really make sense to launch a new gen this year.

And third is all the messaging that Nintendo have been giving, specially Furukawa statement about switch *still* being in the middle of its life.Not that they wouldn't lie, but it seems highly likely that they wouldn't do that. If there was indeed a new system comming out soon, they would probably say something along the lines of "We are looking into ways to further improve the experience" or some such.

So yeah. A switch 2 is 100% being done internally inside Nintendo, and it must be pretty far ahead( probably has its specs locked and such), but they are not announcing it this year. The earliest I see Nintendo talking about it is in 2023.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Switch is gonna ride the wave till sales slow down.
With chip issues and covid etc, next gen is having a slower start so Nintendo will keep the Switch Rolling till like 2024 at least I think
I think you're more right than the OP. Chip shortages mean earliest we get a Switch 2 would be spring 2023 and that's still very optimistic.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
People are mentioning third party ports. Do people with access to literally anything else still buy third party games on Nintendo? Aside from exclusives of course.

Absolutely. Although in my case its mostly niche Japanese games so they aren't exactly pushing any hardware limits regardless, but yeah, I mostly buy my games on Switch because of the portability. Even have a lot of games I got on Steam earlier on Switch because it's just more convenient for me. I'm happy to sacrifice some resolution and performance for portability.

nordique

Man if Aonuma couldn’t even tell his own son to wait “a bit” for an HD port of twilight process, how can these people be comfortable sharing this kind of information?

SuperGooey

The February 16th date for a Direct was already rumored.

A sequel to Mario Kart is both obvious and already rumored to be out soon.

BotW 2 is already rumored to be a holiday 2022 title, and it's already a very safe guess.

A new Switch coming out 5-6 years after the original is... yeah, pretty safe guess, and this "leak" also gave you wiggle room by saying "this part is far-fetched" so you have an out when you're wrong.

In other words, you'll full of shit. You are just making safe predictions.

Breath of the Wild 2 is THE most anticipated Nintendo game EVER. They would be foolish not to launch a new system to capitalize on it. Everyone would buy it. This holiday feels right for the BOTW2 launch and in turn so does the opportunity to sell switch 2. You throw mariokart 9 is a longtime coming so thseems legit.

I’m clearing the 16th on my calendar.

Now please, Nintendo, give ocarina of time the same treatment square gave ff7 and cap com gave RE2, and give us a remake to the greatest game of all time. Thank you.

Infamy v1

I miss CBOAT and Demonite and Verendus. Those E3 leaks were epic.
Wasn't CBOAT confirmed to be a burner account of an old Microsoft employee who was inactive, used by some of the old mods to spread FUD?
Zhuge said this and another former mod corroborated but I don't know if there is any truth to it.

Top Bottom